P&O Change of Colours

Jollysailor93

We've just got back from out cruise on the Aurora and on display was what all the ships will look like when they have had their 'paint job'. For those not aware all ships will sport a blue coloured funnel whilst the bow of the ship shall have a union jack painted on.

Now i'm 21 and consider myself modern however do people not think that P&O will become less recognisable with the loss of the gold funnel? To me that is a symbol of p&o and I also feel that the change in design will take away the classic cruise look and turn them into looking like mickey mouse ships.

Anyone able to change my mind or do most agree?

Personally I think the yellow funnel is horrible. And I also disagree about them looking like Mick Mouse ships. Lot's of the 'old guard' (I'm 62, so no spring chicken :o) don't like the new Union Flag on the bow. I think it looks fine in the renderings I've seen. I'm looking forward to seeing the Aurora in her new dress, next January. More to the point, I hope they finally fix the corridor leaks and give the old girl the spruce up she truly deserves.

I agree with you for the most part Jollysailor. The buff funnels were quite iconic, and its a shame to see them go, but given the choice of blue they've gone with I think they might just become as iconic. If it was just that they were changing I'd be happy.

The stylised Union Flag however is not my cup of tea. It looks like they're trying hard to make it a symbol of the brand. Very much a "look at me" moment.

There is nothing wrong with the P&O sunrise logo (which is still the actual logo of the company). Even if they'd took that and painted it large on the hulls I'd still have the same opinion - it ruins the crisp lines of the ship.

The only place I'll disagree with you is on the 'Mickey Mouse ships'. The ships of the DCL have a great livery - OK there's a touch of whimsy on the stern nameplate but other than that, they're relatively serious and stylish design.

The yellow (or buff) could be mistaken for the yellow funnel of Costa and I dont think any other line would want to be mistaken for Costa.

I dont really see yellow as a British colour so I prefer the change, I think the abstract Union Jack on the side is a bit old hat in style and design.

^Excellent point on the funnel colour. Most of us distinguish between the buff and yellow easily, but there's always Joe Public who will just assume they're both the same.

Perhaps the switch to blue is for the best. Hopefully they'll eventually decide (in a few years) that the Union Jack livery isn't that great and they'll be replaced.

When we were in Ponta Delgada earlier this year an American from a HAL ship docked in port at the same time as the Oriana, asked my husband where our ship was from. I think there will be no mistake in future with the new colours and I quite like it, including the Union Jack.:)

No way. A totally different arrangement and a 'C' on the funnel.

Thing is, even with that some still confuse the two.

And some companies change their image and branding and still get confused. i.e. People annoyingly calling Disneyland Resort Paris "EuroDisney" even though its been 20 years since the name change. (And the fact that EuroDisney is the company that operates the resort).

And yet some stick. I don't think I've met anyone who still called Snickers Marathon, nor Starburst as Opel Fruits.

I think I'm now converted to the blue funnel change. It does have a logic about it. The hull on the other hand.. well. Nowt I can do about that.

It will be interesting what they come up with if scotland votes for independance as the new union flag will not include the saltire.

I have heard that one of the favourites is replacing the blue with a welsh yellow and that won't work on the ships?

Thing is, even with that some still confuse the two.

And some companies change their image and branding and still get confused. i.e. People annoyingly calling Disneyland Resort Paris "EuroDisney" even though its been 20 years since the name change. (And the fact that EuroDisney is the company that operates the resort).

And yet some stick. I don't think I've met anyone who still called Snickers Marathon, nor Starburst as Opel Fruits.

I think I'm now converted to the blue funnel change. It does have a logic about it. The hull on the other hand.. well. Nowt I can do about that.

In Kristainsand last week passengers thought the Costa Fortuna was a P&O ship, even with a 'C' on the funnel. :rolleyes:

with a blue funnel people will think it is a Thomson ship :eek: :D

Edited by davecttr

It will be interesting what they come up with if scotland votes for independance as the new union flag will not include the saltire.

I have heard that one of the favourites is replacing the blue with a welsh yellow and that won't work on the ships?

Well there's a good chance that the Union Flag will remain the same in the event of independence.

Besides, even if they do decide to change the flag, it'll have to go through no end of comittees and focus groups, so I'm guessing P&O have got at least 3-5 years before having to change their livery to match the nation's flag.

In Kristainsand last week passengers thought the Costa Fortuna was a P&O ship, even with a 'C' on the funnel. :rolleyes:

with a blue funnel people will think it is a Thomson ship :eek: :D

Oh no! Solve one problem and create another! :p

People that are complaining about the change of funnel colour from buff/yellow to the new blue who maon its tradition for there interest P&O have always not had buff/yellow funnels on their cruise ships they used to be black.

As far as I am aware no P&O cruise ships had black funnels. The far east liners serving India etc certainly had black funnels. Cruise ships and Liners are two completely different things. Can you imagine if Cunard changed their funnel!!

Surely history is worth preserving, P&O was a huge global company that should be remembered, just like the quatered flag should be kept.

I guess the P&O box boats had blue funnels at one stage, so it is in keeping with at least some sort of P&O history!

As far as I am aware no P&O cruise ships had black funnels. The far east liners serving India etc certainly had black funnels. Cruise ships and Liners are two completely different things. Can you imagine if Cunard changed their funnel!!

Surely history is worth preserving, P&O was a huge global company that should be remembered, just like the quatered flag should be kept.

I guess the P&O box boats had blue funnels at one stage, so it is in keeping with at least some sort of P&O history!

If you go back over P&Os 175yr history prior to Strathnaver and Strathaird all P&O steamships had black painted hulls and funnels they were probably the first 2 to be painted yellow in the 1930s.

The Union Flag won't change. The X shape in red represents Ireland, and they left the Union quite a while back!!

The Strath boats were liners. As i guess all off the ships were in the 30s.

The cruise ships have only had white hulls and buff funnels.

Think the Oriana 2 was possibly their first purpose built cruise ship. Might be Spirit of London was the first.

The Strath boats were liners. As i guess all off the ships were in the 30s.

The cruise ships have only had white hulls and buff funnels.

Think the Oriana 2 was possibly their first purpose built cruise ship. Might be Spirit of London was the first.

You are really splitting hairs to back your judgement all ships were classified as liners in those days, cruise ships is only a recent name and P&O, as everybody knows celebrated 175 yrs of history as a passenger carrying ship company so in effect doesnt matter what you call the ships they started off black then changed to buff/yellow in the 1930s and are to change again soon.

Edited by majortom10

I will change my statement that P&O as a passenger carrying ship company whether they be called liners, cruise ships or boats in their history have had funnels in black up until 1930s, buff/yellow since then and are soon to change to blue.

Edited by majortom10

Unfortunately change is something that is a neccessity in todays cut throat marketing world.

Whilst I believe in tradition, I also accept the need for change. Don't forget that P&O is actually no more. The brand name is leased by Carnival Group from Dubai Ports. So in reality P&O with Buff funnel has been no more for some years.

Being rather patriotic, I like the ideas of the Union Flag montage on the bow - It will look well.

And if the so called old guard don't like it, it's very easy to change to Cunard.

:)