Neptune Lounge ?

Toad

They've been dialing back the Suite parties. A decade ago there was a full blown cocktail party, one mid cruise on longer voyages, and a farewell. The suite lunch used to be on 7 day cruises, then on 10...

It's only a matter of time until you get a hearty handshake and a juice box. ;)

There was no suite lunch this year on the 11-day Noordam cruise, but there was two years ago on the same cruise.

There was one Hotel Director who wouldn't shake hands at the Suite Welcoming Party. Upon entering the Neptune Lounge, there was a sign posted asking guests to refrain from shaking hands because of health concerns. I was told that this was his normal operating procedure.

This year, when we went to the Suite Welcome Party on the same ship, the same HD was shaking hands with everyone who entered.

If it does come to juice boxes, I hope they serve cranberry for my wife.

The last time we had a Suite Farewell Party was In January 2012 on a 11-day cruise on the Noordam. There was no Suite Farewell Party on the same cruise this year. On our last 8-10 cruises, the Suite Welcome Party has been either in the Neptune Lounge or Pinnacle Bar. There also have been times where it was held in the Crow's Nest.

I love it when its in the Crows Nest, so much nicer then the Neptune.

They've been dialing back the Suite parties. A decade ago there was a full blown cocktail party, one mid cruise on longer voyages, and a farewell. The suite lunch used to be on 7 day cruises, then on 10...

You may be right POA.:D

Eurodam used to have a wonderful Suite Farewell cocktail party in Pinnacle Bar. We used to love that party. Do they still have that? One time we had a Suite Farewell Party on Maasdam but I don't remember any others through the years.

We did not have a suite farewell party on the Eurodam but the first time we sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam we did have one in the Pinnacle Bar. Did not have one on either of our last 2 sailings on the NA.

When we sailed on the Westerdam in 2013 for a repositioning cruise we did have one in the Crow's Nest.

Have never had one on any other ship no matter whether it was a 14 day or 25 day cruise.

We have sailed on HAL since 1996 and until 2010 never had a suite farewell cocktail party.

And we have not always been invited to the VIP party mid cruise.

The last time we had a Suite Farewell Party was In January 2012 on a 11-day cruise on the Noordam. There was no Suite Farewell Party on the same cruise this year. On our last 8-10 cruises, the Suite Welcome Party has been either in the Neptune Lounge or Pinnacle Bar. There also have been times where it was held in the Crow's Nest.

Captain's welcome was in the NL on the June 28 sailing...Zuiderdam. I stopped by for a minute...way too crowded and formal for me. Many people seemed to be together or to already know each other. Very uncomfortable IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There was a time when the suite welcome aboard cocktail parties were held in the Neptune Lounge and it was crowded.

But on recent cruises on the S class ships they have been held in the Mix. Some ships they have been in the Crow's Nest. And the Nieuw Amsterdam held them in the Silk Den.

We have sailed on the Noordam a few times and never had a farewell cocktail party. The last time we sailed on her was in 2011.

I love it when its in the Crows Nest, so much nicer then the Neptune.

You may be right POA.:D

Just in case..... Suite welcome reception is held in the Captain's day room on the Prinsendam and subsequent functions may be held in the Neptune Lounge. (The nicest NL in the fleet IMO ).

Handshakes are already gone on most ships!

We have sailed on HAL since 1996 and until 2010 never had a suite farewell cocktail party.

And we have not always been invited to the VIP party mid cruise.

That's too bad. Those parties are nice.

We've always enjoyed them.

We started sailing HAL about 1991 and have always enjoyed whatever events to which we were invited. Lots of Captains Dinners in those early years we sailed. They used to run fabulous dinners in the King's Room. The really good wines came out and the menus were terrific. They would bring in the lovely Rosarios to play for us and the Chefs turned out wonderful multi course dinners.

There have been all sorts of different style cocktail parties and receptions and memories of them are very fresh and fond in my mind.

I still enjoy the mid cruise cocktail parties usually held in Crows Nest. I look forward to them.

We did not have a suite farewell party on the Eurodam but the first time we sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam we did have one in the Pinnacle Bar. Did not have one on either of our last 2 sailings on the NA.

When we sailed on the Westerdam in 2013 for a repositioning cruise we did have one in the Crow's Nest.

Have never had one on any other ship no matter whether it was a 14 day or 25 day cruise.

We sailed Eurodam 5 cruises and on every one of them had a Suite Farewell Party in Pinnacle Bar. Loved them. They were fun parties. I think a lot depends who is Captain, Hotel Director and Bar Supervisor.

I even remember when they would have a lunch for those of us that were combing legs of cruises. It was a very nice perk, and there was always good food and conversation, as officers would join us. Gone are those days I'm sure, but they bring back happy memories.

Those Nieuw Amsterdam were our least favorite Cocktail parties for some reason. The ship and crew were fine but we left those cocktails parties looking at each other wondering what was out of sync.

Handshakes are already gone on most ships!

I can report that as of a couple of months ago, this traditional was alive and well on the Zuiderdam. Captain Christopher Turner was one of the most outgoing and personable masters that I can recall sailing with.

I can report that as of a couple of months ago, this traditional was alive and well on the Zuiderdam. Captain Christopher Turner was one of the most outgoing and personable masters that I can recall sailing with.

Yes, we sailed with Captain Turner in May and I commented that I was surprised that he was shaking hands and his reply was "I always shake hands."

Yes, we sailed with Captain Turner in May and I commented that I was surprised that he was shaking hands and his reply was "I always shake hands."

Glad to hear that - I am sailing in a few months on the Z.

We were also at the Suite Welcome Party in May on the Zuiderdam and Captain Turner was shaking hands with everyone, the same as last year. He is very friendly, outgoing and courteous. In Ketchikan, he was out checking out his ship walking along the dock. I asked him if the ship was "seaworthy", and quickly responded "not really" with a smile and a wink. He spent the entire time at the Welcome Party talking to everyone and answering questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Note 3 using Forums mobile app.

Edited by kjw869

• 1 month later...

You are forgetting - they don't shake hands.;):p

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I too, appreciate Captain Turner's attitude about handshaking. I understand the rationale behind some Captains not wanting to shake someone's hand, and I respect their prerogative.

I have noticed that the Captain's decision to shake or not shake hands is typically carried through by the remainder of the ship's executive group during these functions. I have been on cruises where if the Captain is shaking hands, everyone shakes hands, and if the Captain chooses not to shake hands, then no one does. Just an observation.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic' date=' but I too, appreciate Captain Turner's attitude about handshaking. I understand the rationale behind some Captains not wanting to shake someone's hand, and I respect their prerogative.

I have noticed that the Captain's decision to shake or not shake hands is typically carried through by the remainder of the ship's executive group during these functions. I have been on cruises where if the Captain is shaking hands, everyone shakes hands, and if the Captain chooses not to shake hands, then no one does. Just an observation.[/quote']

We have noticed the same thing. The captain sets the pace as to what all the officers should do.