Chef's Table Dining Package no longer available!!

Last year, I booked the Chef's Table Dining package on my Oasis cruise. It included the Chef's Table on the first night and we then booked Chops and 150 Park Avenue while on board. It was a great value at $125 per person for all 3 restaurants and was looking forward to booking it again on my Allure cruise 10/12/2014. Well I just found out that as of 4/30/2014, this package is no longer available!! Very disappointed!! Anyone know why or they discontinued this and if they plan on bringing it back??

There´s a new savings option for dining:

- book first night and receive 20% OBC

- book 3 restaurants and receive 20% OBC (4 = 25%, 5 = 30%)

Bookings have to be made online in the currency you´ve booked your cruise in.

steamboats

When doing the math, the new system comes out to about the same. This is the case as 4 venues gives 25% for all bookings in OBC and 5 venues gives 30% on all bookings with the extra added for night 1 bookings.

I booked the Chef's Table Package on several occasions and really liked the value.

My last booking was actually just $105 on Vision with Chef's Table and 3 other venues, including Chops Grill, Giovannis and Izumi.

I had great value on Oasis at just $120 for Chef's Table, 150, Giovanni's and Chops included. They added a promotional lunch at Giovanni's along with offering the Solarium Bistro for just a $10 add-on.

When I checked my Quantum sailing and figured in Wonderland at $45 on night 1, Chef's Table at $85, Chops at $35, Divine Decadence at $20 and Jamie's Italian at $25, my total came to $138 for all venues.

While I did have to pay $210 upfront, I will have $72 in OBC for the $138 comparative total for 5 restaurants.

It would have been $129 for 4 restaurants including Chef's Table. It would have been $123 for 3 restaurants. So, this new system makes it better value to book more venues.

The added benefit is that I have booked all venues in advance of my cruise and do not have to do that onboard now.

There´s a new savings option for dining:

- book first night and receive 20% OBC

- book 3 restaurants and receive 20% OBC (4 = 25%, 5 = 30%)

Bookings have to be made online in the currency you´ve booked your cruise in.

steamboats

You can also book on board. (It has to be booked on day one.)They will give you a discount on the cover charge. We just did this on Navigator.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carolyn,

It says in the Cruise Planner that you have to book in advance and in the currency you´ve paid your cruise in (which is Euro in my case). At least the latter won´t be possible onboard.

Anyway I´ve booked my 4 restaurants for my upcoming TA and I can still ask whether I can add one onboard...

steamboats

If you book 3 online and one of those reservations is on night 1, will they credit you 20% for the three and then another 20% off you first night's reservation?

There has been one report of cumulative OBC so far. They stated they based it on the fee minus 20% and then 20% on that. So chops would post $35x.20 for $7 OBC for the 3. Then you would get $35-7= $28 x .20 for the night one booking or $5.60 additional. I think that poster was getting it as a discount as they booked onboard the ship though.

I do not sail until November on Quantum, but will post my experience then. Hopefully there will be more first hand examples posted with time.

You will definitely get 20% for the 3. I expect to get a full additional 20% for my first night booking as OBC.

This is as the Insider Tips states:

Insider Tips

Make 3 reservations at any of our specialty restaurants and receive a 20% onboard credit† with our dining package.

Receive a 20% onboard credit* on all Day 1 reservations.

Edited by MADflyer

There has been one report of cumulative OBC so far. They stated they based it on the fee minus 20% and then 20% on that. So chops would post $35x.20 for $7 OBC for the 3. Then you would get $35-7= $28 x .20 for the night one booking or $5.60 additional. I think that poster was getting it as a discount as they booked onboard the ship though.

I do not sail until November on Quantum, but will post my experience then. Hopefully there will be more first hand examples posted with time.

You will definitely get 20% for the 3. I expect to get a full additional 20% for my first night booking as OBC.

This is as the Insider Tips states:

Insider Tips

Make 3 reservations at any of our specialty restaurants and receive a 20% onboard credit† with our dining package.

Receive a 20% onboard credit* on all Day 1 reservations.

When we were on Navigator in June, we booked on board on day 1. The discount was given on the cover charge, not the whole bill (beverages, etc). If you pre-book online you will receive the discount in the form of OBC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by ARCruisinNana

I was on Oasis in the beginning of June and Chef's table was very much still available. I don't know that it was selling very well though, as we were approached several times in the concierge lounge to purchase it.

The OP is talking about a specific package that included dinner at the Chef's Table, 150 and Chops. All 3 for one discounted price. The Chefs Table, as a venue, is still there but that particular package has been discontinued in lieu of these new discount schemes.

Would someone explain to me what they enjoy about Chef's Table? Never considered it before, and I might, if I know what it's about.

It is the experience. It is a dining 'event' The chef and waiter present all courses and the wine pairings. It is a social opportunity to meet other passengers.

While the food is above average, it is not the reason I book it on every sailing. Some use it to celebrate a special occasion.

The waiter/chef's table manager and chef tend to be very social and sometimes tend to be selected as they are at the top of their field or have very entertaining personalities.

I thought I read that the obc from this promotion can only be used towards other dining experiences (i.e., not in the shops, spa, shore excursions, etc.)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

The wording meant that you only get OBC for the cover charge of the resturant or ala cart. meaning if you rack up a 300 dollar bill with drinks you do not get 60 dollars OBC but you would get just how much the cover was.

I was on the phone with 2 different dining reps and was told that you can not combine the 1st day's 20% off with the 20% OBC. I was not going to take the chance of trying anyways and winding up with just 20% off the first night and the other 2 people full price.

I was a little confused exactly how the package worked and received the following email from Royal Caribbean.

Guests will have the opportunity to save up to 30% when reserving multiple specialty dining reservations. Guests can make three or more reservations at their favorite specialty restaurants before they sail using the new Cruise Planner and automatically receive onboard credit. Guests who make three or more reservations once onboard will receive a straight discount, instead of onboard credit, for the same amount. Three specialty dining reservations will receive 20% of the value in onboard credit or discount, four reservations will receive 25% of the value in onboard credit or discount and five plus reservations will receive 30% of the value in onboard credit or discount. The dining package discount is applicable to all specialty restaurants that take reservations. If reservations are cancelled after the onboard credit is posted, the discount amount will be altered accordingly. Onboard credit is applied on day one of the cruise and is given to the primary person on the cruise booking. Onboard credit applies only to food purchases (cover charges or a la carte) and is not combinable with any other offer.

Kids aged six to twelve now dine at our specialty restaurants for only $8.00, and children five and under eat free! Kids will now have their very own menu that will feature a fun selection of kid-friendly favorites from the regular menu as well. Guests that reserve on the Cruise Planner before sailing will have prices adjusted for kids once onboard.

Guests that eat at any of our specialty dining venues on the first night of their cruise will also receive an automatic 20% discount. The discount applies only to food purchases (cover charge or a la carte) and is not combinable with any other offer.

Royal Caribbean International's goal is to have all Cruise Planner reservations available on our Cruise Planner website at 90 days prior to sailing. However, due to logistical difficulties, we are not always successful in attaining this goal. Our supply teams are working very hard to continue to streamline this process for the convenience of our guests. In the meantime, we encourage you to take full advantage of the added value that is now being offered with these excellent improvements to Royal Caribbean International’s already world class dining experience.

Did you know about the new look of our Pre-cruise Planner site which is now "Cruise Planner"? We are excited to introduce it to you and invite you to explore the fresh and updated landscape of the Cruise Planner site.

The Cruise Planner is a remarkably helpful tool that allows our guests the convenience of booking onboard products and services prior to the start of their cruise vacation. Booking these products and services ahead of time allows our guests to remove these details from their "to-do list" once on board the ship, freeing them to enjoy their actual vacation rather than use vacation time for planning.

An exciting feature is that you can print your reservations from the Calendar view on your Cruise Planner site. This is a new feature that provides you with a daily listing of all activities and amenities for your cruise vacation. After you click on "Calendar" from the main Cruise Planner page, please select the printer icon at the top right hand corner of the Calendar heading to print.

You can access your Cruise Planner on our website, www.RoyalCaribbean.com, from the "Before You Board" tab and select your "Countdown to Cruise" site link or the "Cruise Planner" link from the drop down menu. For assistance with your Cruise Planner reservations, please contact our Cruise Planner Department at 1-800-398-9819 and an agent will be happy to assist you.

Edited by Tam Tam

I thought I read that the obc from this promotion can only be used towards other dining experiences (i.e., not in the shops, spa, shore excursions, etc.)

That was an interpretation of the policy due to their choice of language. This has since been disproven by several posters where the policy was applied correctly as it was intended. Normal OBC has been posted.

The intention was always that guests should understand that an expensive bottle of wine was not going to result in even more OBC or discount. Interestingly, they have not yet changed their wording even with all of the confusion it has created.

The wording meant that you only get OBC for the cover charge of the resturant or ala cart. meaning if you rack up a 300 dollar bill with drinks you do not get 60 dollars OBC but you would get just how much the cover was.

I was on the phone with 2 different dining reps and was told that you can not combine the 1st day's 20% off with the 20% OBC. I was not going to take the chance of trying anyways and winding up with just 20% off the first night and the other 2 people full price.

If that is the case they always tend to have the policy of 'which ever one is greater', meaning they would apply the 3 night 20% at minimum and not just the 1 night at 20%, with full price on the others.

Those getting discounts onboard have reported getting both.

The letter just posted seems to state that the first night charges would be discounted and thus reduce the other 20% for the 3 bookings as it would be based on the reduced amount.

That was an interpretation of the policy due to their choice of language. This has since been disproven by several posters where the policy was applied correctly as it was intended. Normal OBC has been posted.

The intention was always that guests should understand that an expensive bottle of wine was not going to result in even more OBC or discount. Interestingly, they have not yet changed their wording even with all of the confusion it has created.

Thanks for the explanation. Their wording is confusing to me, which should not be surprising.:rolleyes: I think I would just book on board and get the straight discount.

Thanks for the explanation. Their wording is confusing to me, which should not be surprising.:rolleyes: I think I would just book on board and get the straight discount.

I think waiting until onboard is good advice for Allure/Oasis and others since they are offering the discount and might even have sailing specific promotions.

It seems on Quantum and Anthem, booking in advance is good advice. I have noticed that their objective with Dynamic Dining seems to be working, even though some are unhappy.

Wonderland appears to be fully booked for all 8 nights of my November sailing.

Interestingly the formal restaurant is very popular as well. While not specialty most of the current pre-cruise slots have been booked there as well.

Thank you, even reading the wording with that clarification, to me it still implies you can only use the OBC towards food purchases! Glad to know it is "normal" OBC and applicable toward anything.

Interesting that the percentage is only based on the "base" food cost, not any add-ons such as wine, etc.

Thanks again for clarifying. Not something likely to apply to me, since I rarely eat in specialty dining venues, but good to know.

I read that as well. There was a long thread from someone that said they had talked in length with C and A and stated that if you got OBC it could only be used toward other food purchases.

And I thought it´s just me not really understanding the wording of RCI as I´m no native speaker...:D I also understood that the OBC can only be used for cover charges and food items. But that wouldn´t make any sense. It makes more sense that the OBC is only given on cover charges or à la carte prices (Izumi) but not on any drink purchases going with your meal.

steamboats

And I thought it´s just me not really understanding the wording of RCI as I´m no native speaker...:D I also understood that the OBC can only be used for cover charges and food items. But that wouldn´t make any sense. It makes more sense that the OBC is only given on cover charges or à la carte prices (Izumi) but not on any drink purchases going with your meal.

steamboats

No, it is not just you. Royal has raised the level ambiguous, imprecise language to a new high (or low?).