What kind of binder?

Lorey2007

If you go to Staples they have a wide variety of folders there. My favorite are the ones with clear plastic sheets this way you can easily locate your various cruise documents, excursion tickets, maps, lists and so on.

It is also lightweight and easy to find stuff because of the clear plastic on each page.

Jonathan

• 2 months later...

In the past, I kept everything in a pocket folder. This trip we are bringing one carry on each, so I am trying to pack only the necessities. I know the folder won't take up much space, but I like that all my info is neatly organized in my phone now, too. The app was only .99 and it took about 10 minutes to download the app and import my confirmations from email. Super easy way to have back up.

I also use an accordion folder to collect all my hard copies (being an old fart, I have less faith in electronics than others - seen too many computer crashes / failures in my time.). Sort by port or whatever.

The BEST thing about such is that - if you like to save things (schedules, menus, brochures, maps, receipts, etc....), you toss the paperwork you brought that you no longer need, and add the new stuff to that location's file slot. It's all sorted.

I use a new one for each trip, then continue to use it to hold my hard copy memories.....

Barb ("feathers") in so cal.

I have used binders and the plastic sleeves, but now I mostly just put everything in a plain folder, the kind with pockets on each side. On one side is the things I will need the first (flying) day & cruise day; plane tickets, hotel ressie, etc., cruise papers.

I throw away papers as they are no longer needed. Everything is in order of need. Anything needed for a particular day moves to the right hand side on that day. I do attach envelopes with money needed for each tour to the tour info.--that goes into the safe when we get on the ship. At the end, I have usually only our last day flight info and anything else needed for the last day.

This takes up much less space than my previous big binders and yet has everything I need. Of course this goes in my carry-on, which is a small wheeled bag with compartments.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Almost everything I need for the cruise is on my computer. Shortly before the cruise I print what we need to take with us. I put the papers in order of when we will need them and put them in a folder that has two pockets, one for pre cruise (travel and check in) and one side for the cruise and after.

This is pretty much what I do - a two pocket folder with pages in order. Then I throw out the pages as I go so by the time I am heading home its about empty. This even worked for a three week trip to Europe we took a couple years ago, though the folder was thicker. I also saved all the docs as pdfs on my phone so I could easily access them, even without cell service or internet.

I have debated going paperless but agree with another poster that if there is a dispute with a desk clerk, its much easier to have a printed confirmation then try to have them see something on your phone.

I have a lightweight folder with many clear plastic sleeves as pages. I arrange all my documents in the order in which they will be needed and just slip them in..... easy to just slide them out if needed.

Ditto - for hard copies of documents and for any paper tickets that I need, like train tickets. After many years of land travel experience has taught me that somewhere along the way on a major trip I will need a paper copy of something. Tip - if you have train tickets or something that could easily slide out of the plastic sleeve, seal the end of the sleeve with 2-3 removeable sticky labels.

I also copy all emails and documents to EverNote and/or DropBox so they are accessible from both my laptop (if I take it) and my phone (if I have cheap data access).

We did a seven week trip to the UK and Ireland last year and all the documents fitted in one very lightweight folder. I think it had 40 sleeves in it.

I use one of these :

http://www.amazon.com/Lug-Tango-Travel-Wallet-Purple/dp/B003ZY8AXW/ref=sr_1_2?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1412258303&sr=1-2&keywords=lug+travel+wallet

Inside are our passports, CC, cash, docs, envelopes for each excursion, etc...

I have used this thing for an 8 day cruise for 10 people including 4 excursions. You can fit a lot of stuff in here =)

Edited by Athankfulheart

For PDF's I open/save them to iBooks on my phone, converting pages to PDF if needed. No need to access the internet doing this.

Have several trips planned right now. The paperwork is in thin folders under my keyboard. For the trip I'll organize the paperwork by date.

Edited by SadieN

You've gotten lots of good ideas for organizing your paperwork.

One thing I did (maybe it's already been mentioned), I made a Folder on my Computer under My Documents.

I do a lot of research, exploring on the computer all of the ideas and offerings for activities at ports, things the cruise ship offers etc. Whenever I come across something I want to save or remember, I copy and paste it to that Folder in My Documents.

Then when it gets closer to my cruise, I go through and print out the things I want to make certain I do on my cruise and put them in my folder to bring along.

Okay...this is a dumb question but I am not computer savvy. I want to make a PDF of all of my travel documents and put them on my Android and also my iPad Air. Can someone tell me what apps I need to do this? And how to do this? I don't want the apps that you'll need internet connection. Also, what documents do you suggest that I have an actual paper copy of for my cruise? Thanks so much!!

Wow! Just downloaded TripIt--it's awesome! Put in the basic info and will add more details as the cruise gets closer.

I have always done a folder with the sheet protectors for cruises, family vacations, etc. I think I will still do one for this cruise because it makes me happy to have it. But I will have TripIt for more portability.

What app do I need to use to put a PDF file on my iPhone? And is there a way to put copies of pertinent emails in there that won't require logging onto the actual email account?

Thanks for all these wonderful ideas!

Wow! Just downloaded TripIt--it's awesome! Put in the basic info and will add more details as the cruise gets closer.

I have always done a folder with the sheet protectors for cruises, family vacations, etc. I think I will still do one for this cruise because it makes me happy to have it. But I will have TripIt for more portability.

What app do I need to use to put a PDF file on my iPhone? And is there a way to put copies of pertinent emails in there that won't require logging onto the actual email account?

Thanks for all these wonderful ideas!

Mail the pdf to yourself at an e-mail address on your iPhone. Open the pdf in iBooks and save it there.

Get tripit app if you travel a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mail the pdf to yourself at an e-mail address on your iPhone. Open the pdf in iBooks and save it there.

Get tripit app if you travel a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OK, thanks. So I just need to download iBooks and I'm good to go!

I use a combination of just about everything mentioned. When beginning to organize the travel- cruise, air, etc. that I have not done before- or need lots of information- I use a 3 ring binder for info on where we are going, weather, excursions, and all that trip that I want to review. I also start a Dropbox file (app is free ipad and phone for 8 gb and you can put it on your computer - I have it on 3 devices) - with the itinerary, flight info and general items- I "invite" my family members, house sitters, and anyone else that needs to know our plans to the file. Close to leaving- I scan in to PDF all the hard copies that I think I might possibly need instead of hauling the 3-ring binder. I then download that info to my IPAD and phone- so I will not need to be on internet to access. I also use a bright pink-ugly small- folder to put all hard copies that I think I will need- air reservations, passports, hotel reservations and etc. - so I can always find it in my carryon bag. If you need the additional information you can print from Drop box.

I love the idea of the envelopes for tours, and other things you will need cash. We have done that for the room service tips- but not others- will use it on the next adventure. Sure will beat trying to find the cash when we need it.