Traveling with Meds

Nerfball6

Something that many folks aren't aware of, but all law enforcement officers know, is that transporting prescription medications, in any container other than their original labeled bottle/package, is illegal.

BIG TIME ILLEGAL !!!

]

To my understanding, transporting Rx meds for PERSONAL use the meds do not have to be in original containers.

Even the TSA site states that meds do not have to be in their original containers.

Edited by NMLady

...liquid prescriptions such as medicines can be over the usual 3.5 ounces and don't have to be in the Freedom Baggie. Just make sure they're in their original container with the prescription label, and run them through separately. DH has had a few questions on his (including one agent who wanted to tear off the label because she couldn't find where DH's name was!) but he's always been allowed to take them in his carry-on.

To me, this is really stupid. It would seem to absolutely invalidate the requirement for no larger than 3.5 oz. liquids. All any terrorist would need to do is put his liquid explosive in a medicine bottle with a current date and his name on the label.... Idiotic !!!

Scott & Karen

I use Walgreens as my Part D co-pay is cheapest from either Walgreens or Walmart and the Walgreens has a drive up window. :) Anyway, Walgreens prescriptions come with 2 paper slips that have all the info on them. I use my most recent paper and place it in a ziplock with the pills. Have never had a problem US or international.

I put my pills in one of those small dispensers with the days of the week marked that you can get in any drugstore. I never take the original bottles. I take this with me in my carryon in case my luggage is lost/delayed. I have been doing this for 20 years and have traveled all over the world and have never been stopped or questioned.

Of course this doesn't mean it can't happen. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Same here. On a 30+ day trip I'll have several of those little pill boxes. Never had a problem, or even a question. Sometimes, just in case, I'll take the paper they give you at the pharmacy explaining the medicine if going somewhere like Dubai or China where there's more concern. Always carry them in my handbag when traveling.

Guess I've been lucky too.

To me, this is really stupid. It would seem to absolutely invalidate the requirement for no larger than 3.5 oz. liquids. All any terrorist would need to do is put his liquid explosive in a medicine bottle with a current date and his name on the label.... Idiotic !!!

Scott & Karen

Well, the TSA rules are not known for making sense. :D Most of the time they do some test on the bottle- for explosive content or residue? They have occasionally made him take a sip of it. That's pretty much stopped after someone higher up must have informed them that forcing someone to imbibe a dose of a prescription at the wrong time could be downright dangerous, depending on what that prescription was.

To my understanding, transporting Rx meds for PERSONAL use the meds do not have to be in original containers.

Even the TSA site states that meds do not have to be in their original containers.

I don't want to be the sorry traveler standing at security point arguing with a TSA Official what 'even the TSA states' and go through the routine these are for my personal use. I figure the easier I make it for them, the easier the whole process will be for me. Why look for trouble when it is easily avoidable? If they toss out my meds, I don't get to travel. I must have my meds and will not risk having them confiscated. I don't use the huge 90 day bottles but rather have the common regular pharmacy sizes. When I arrive at my location, I transfer to the day of the week pill holders.

Those who have been lucky and travel with the little ziplocs have not had their meds confiscated..... yet. I hope they never do.

Edited by sail7seas

If you are travelling by air I would definitely have them in their original bottles.

I have traveled by air many times with pills. No original bottles. No original prescriptions. I carry them in a pill carrier with enough for the length of the trip plus a few days extra just in case I am delayed.

I do carry a list of my meds on a small sheet of paper in my wallet just in case my pills go missing or I am found unconscious and are taken to a doctor or hospital.

Is there anyone out there who has had problems with doing things in the same way as I do or is this just another urban myth?

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I have traveled by air many times with pills. No original bottles. No original prescriptions. I carry them in a pill carrier with enough plus a few days for the length of the trip.

I do carry a list of my meds on a small sheet of paper in my wallet just in case my pills go missing or I am found unconscious and are taken to a doctor or hospital.

Is there anyone out there who has had problems with doing things in the same way as I do or is this just another urban myth?

DON

The closest I have come was just close enough to make the point for me.

When my carryon was x-rayed, they saw a rather large jewelry pouch. Because of all the metal, they wanted to examine it. Fine. When they opened my roll aboard, right on the top was a large Ziploc with all my Rx bottles in plain view through the plastic. The TSA Official made an 'out of the side of her mouth' remark it was lucky for me those pills were in pharmacy bottles. I made note of her comment.

She examined the jewelry, closed my bag and I went on my way.

I would likely have not had such an easy time if she had found a seven day pill holder or pile of little ziplocs. I do not want to be the one to argue the issues at risk of losing the battle.

Edited by sail7seas

Something that many folks aren't aware of, but all law enforcement officers know, is that transporting prescription medications, in any container other than their original labeled bottle/package, is illegal.

I've been in local, state and federal law enforcement for 21 years, and I know of no such laws. I don't know the laws in all 50 states, so I guess it's possible it exists in one or some of them, but no, there is no federal law saying meds have to be in their original containers. You only need to be able to show proof of prescription when it comes to controlled substances.

Scott & Karen

And such is the state of TSA, which frequently makes no sense.

I once called Visa, ID's myself as from MA, said I would be traveling and might use by credit card while away. She asked where I was going and when I said Alaska, she wanted to transfer me to 'international department'. Sigh.......

. . . transporting prescription medications, in any container other than their original labeled bottle/package, is illegal.

My apologies. I never intended to imply that carrying legimately prescribed medications, in alternative containers is illegal, across the board (although in many states it is a misdemeanor). Where the problem arrises, is when the officer/agent cannot readily identify the pill/capsule/tablet/liquid. If you can't produce a valid prescription, at the very least, the meds may be consficated and your travel could be delayed while the validity is checked.

To err on the side of caution, my advice below still stands . . .

So, How about this? Take what meds you need, in original containers, with you on the cruise. Leave the excess at home until you return.

Also, take a copy of your prescription(s) with you. Just in case you need to get them refilled, or verify that your possession of the medications is legimate.

Note - Ask your doctor to write out a perscription in generic, not brand names. Specific brand name meds may not be available outside your home country.

Edited by Calgon1

I don't want to be the sorry traveler standing at security point arguing with a TSA Official what 'even the TSA states' and go through the routine these are for my personal use. I figure the easier I make it for them, the easier the whole process will be for me. Why look for trouble when it is easily avoidable? If they toss out my meds, I don't get to travel. I must have my meds and will not risk having them confiscated. I don't use the huge 90 day bottles but rather have the common regular pharmacy sizes. When I arrive at my location, I transfer to the day of the week pill holders.

Those who have been lucky and travel with the little ziplocs have not had their meds confiscated..... yet. I hope they never do.

The one time an Airport Security Screener asked about my meds, all pills, I asked for a supervisor immediately. The inquiries stopped; my guess is the screener knew she had overstepped . . .

Edited by CPT Trips

I have traveled by air many times with pills. No original bottles. No original prescriptions. I carry them in a pill carrier with enough for the length of the trip plus a few days extra just in case I am delayed.

DON

For the most part it's an urban myth, perpetrated on boards such as this.

TSA security check points are there to stop weapons, explosives and incendiaries from getting on aircraft, nothing else. The people staffing the checkpoints are not cops. "Side of mouth" comments as related by sail7seas should be taken simply as bullying by a wannabe LEO and not an expression of TSA policy.

It's interesting that we can't carry a 4oz tube of toothpaste on to a passenger plane because the label can't be believed and at the same time people believe that a computer generated label on a bottle is "the gospel truth" to cops and security screeners about it's contents.

ETA:advice to those wanting to be "on the safe side," . . . be sure to wear a belt and suspenders with your swim trunks.

Edited by CPT Trips

It is correct that TSA is not certified law enforcement. They are security screeners. Nothing more. The only law enforcement arm of TSA is the Air Marshals. If they do hassle you about meds, ask for a supervisor and if that doesn't work, ask for an officer.

DON

This is a direct quote from the official TSA blog site -

"TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply."

and another longer quote directly from TSA -

"Passengers are allowed to bring medications in pill or other solid form through security screening checkpoints in unlimited amounts, as long as they are screened. TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply.

Passengers should inform officers of medications and separate them from other belongings before screening begins. Medication is usually screened by X-ray; however, if a passenger does not want a medication X-rayed, he or she may ask for an inspection instead. This request must be made before screening begins.

The passenger will be responsible for displaying, handling, and repacking the medication if an inspection is requested. If the medication cannot be cleared visually, it will need to be X-rayed and may be subject to additional screening, including explosive trace detection screening."

In other words, prescriptions of bottles are not needed.

DON

"TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply."

"Passengers are allowed to bring medications in pill or other solid form through security screening checkpoints in unlimited amounts, as long as they are screened. TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply.

Passengers should inform officers of medications and separate them from other belongings before screening begins. Medication is usually screened by X-ray; however, if a passenger does not want a medication X-rayed, he or she may ask for an inspection instead. This request must be made before screening begins.

The passenger will be responsible for displaying, handling, and repacking the medication if an inspection is requested. If the medication cannot be cleared visually, it will need to be X-rayed and may be subject to additional screening, including explosive trace detection screening."

DON

That's TSA, means nothing when you are out of the country.:rolleyes:

DON

Unless, of course, you are clearing security in one of those states with laws that require proper label and packaging..... or are connecting through one of those states where you need to clear security again. If you have to change terminals, for example, you may find yourself at Security in a place that has different rules from where you originated your journey?