Quality Control Audit of Cabin Steward

NJ Fred

I don't see anything that is wrong with Fred's or CLE's approach. When I get onboard, I have the ship staff, those that who will have the privilege to serve me, line up and I walk up and down the ranks General Patton style. I address them about my expectations for the upcoming cruise. If they don't meet my expectations, they and the whole ship will hear about it.

HA! LOL...and then....THEN there's the plank!!!:D

In 2012 we left a sticker on the inside of the wardrobe of our cabin (hidden really well), knowing that we would be on there again in 2013. We were very surprised - if we are honest - that it had gone when we had the same cabin last August.

It wasn't done to catch them out, more for fun as it was a silly face off a towel animal.

Good on you Celebrity !

I have a standard practice when first entering my stateroom. I check behind the television (if it is on a cabinet/desk, etc.) and under the bed.

If an extraordinary amount of dust or any garbage is present I have a matter-of-fact talk with the cabin steward.

One steward balked alleging he was "just assigned this room one hour ago." I did my diplomatic best to assuage his feelings by shifting the blame to his predecessor and telling him: "I thought so because you impress me as being too much of a professional to leave te cabin so untidy."

I give the cabin steward one shot at doing better. If poor cleanliness persists, I take time-stamped photos and share them during an audience with the Hotel Director. I would think most Hotel Directors "get it" that the photos can be sent to the home office.

I am far from an ogre. I simply believe in getting most of what the advertising paraphernalia hypes.

Any strategies you might have would be appreciated. I want to underscore that after 68 cruises on ships of several lines I can count on one hand the number of staterooms I considered unclean upon boarding.

And if anyone feels I should consider the pressure cabin stewards face on debarkation/embarkation days, I respectfully retort (in advance) that this is part of the job - - and that supervisors should have found the housekeeping omissions before a customer did.

WOW! That's really all I can think to say to this WOW!

To me, if I call something to the attention of the steward and they fail to act upon it, then they are not doing their job, and shouldn't have the position and deserve to lose it and let someone else with a family back home who needs money sent home take the job who is willing and able to do the work and provide the service and meet expectations of the cruiser.

I don't care how 'insignificant' an issue is, if I call it to their attention, it should be dealt with. I won't however support going to the HD without first calling something to the stewards's attention to it first, even if it looks like the back of the TV hasn't been cleaned in 3 months. But if I tell the steward the back of the TV needs cleaned, and it isn't done, then it's time to let the bosses know to decide to either terminate them (assuming they wouldn't do so for a single infraction, but only after multiple infractions based on multiple guest feedback) or provide additional training to the staff member.

One person saying 1 thing to the HD will get a staff member fired? How punitive do you think X is (or were you to your staff to even consider this is a probable outcome...)? I'd expect they would offer training and coaching and counseling initially, perhaps allowing for 3 or so such coaching sessions, rather than a simple firing for 1 bad interaction. With or without "an audience".

I've never hard of a hotel manager firing an employee over a single relatively insignificant issues, repeated violations or criminal acts, yes, but 1 incident, never.

I suppose it's possible it happens, but I bet it's certainly not normal.

I think we are somewhat going in circles here and over-reacting to a cruiser that started fairly staunchly of how (s)he handles the situation. I think for the most part, we all expect a clean room. I think for the most part we get a clean room. I would never in a million years expect a steward to clean my sneakily(is that a word) placed make up smudge on the bottom of my trash can....these people are being set up for failure.

I, like many here, have worked in the service industry for a while....some are in lodging, I am in food. I get it. I understand the level of service expected and the level of service accepted. I don't expect perfection, nor do I expect anyone to lose their livelihood over some missed dust....that doesn't carry Noro.

It's vacation in a floating hotel...make the best of it and lose the stress. :)

I have only been reading the Celebrity boards for a few days since booking my upcoming cruise on Reflection. I have to say everyone told me how good the entertainment is on Celebrity, but I had no idea it extended to the boards!

Most fun and disturbing thread ever!

Agree about disturbing, don't see the fun.

I am a long time Celebrity cruiser. I have never had a bad waiter or room steward. Some have been superior, but all have been adequate. I have gotten to personally know wonderful, hardworking people who are overworked, underpaid, and always have a smile on their faces.

I have witnessed staff being treated rudely and with condescension by passengers on many occasions. That is so sad.

I am absolutely clueless as to what could be behind a TV or under a bed that would cause Noro? If Noro is the concern then bring on your Lysol type II that kills Noro virus and wipe the cabin down.

Inspecting for dust routinely seems a bit obsessive - compulsive, especially if it is done when there are no indicating factors. I too expect a clean room and wouldn't hesitate to speak with the room steward if it wasn't up to snuff but this seems over the top. Glad the op won't be coming to my house - no telling what he might find.;)

I am absolutely clueless as to what could be behind a TV or under a bed that would cause Noro? If Noro is the concern then bring on your Lysol type II that kills Noro virus and wipe the cabin down.

Inspecting for dust routinely seems a bit obsessive - compulsive, especially if it is done when there are no indicating factors. I too expect a clean room and wouldn't hesitate to speak with the room steward if it wasn't up to snuff but this seems over the top. Glad the op won't be coming to my house - no telling what he might find.;)

NJFred:

With my tongue in my cheek:

Would love to see pictures of your abode? It must be spotless.

Also list of your future cruises would be appreciated.

Those of us living in a glass house try never to throw stones or take pictures.

Yikes...

Gosh, there sure are some demanding people about.

I expect clean, really clean, but I wouldn't set them up to fail. Seriously, who would look for a make up spot on the bottom of a trash bin? Maybe on a deep clean, but not daily, because it isn't likely it would happen normally.

Jane -- I agree, and I think you do make a good point. Most of us are reasonable about the expectations we have of our room steward -- and, are willing to speak up, if those expectations are not met. Even going up the "food chain", if necessary can be an entirely reasonable way to resolve a problem.

But, what this thread has reminded me of is the fact that we really need to praise and reward the room stewards, who do an outstanding job for us. Not just extra tip $$ (although I'm sure that's greatly appreciated, too). :cool:

What I'm talking about is putting the positive comments in writing. In addition to completely the post-cruise survey, you can use those "attention to detail" cards, to commend a crew member for going "above and beyond", at any time during the cruise. :)

A couple of years ago, on Millennium, we were very proud to have our "Sweet Sixteen" room featured on the r/c's cabin crawl. We mentioned this to our room steward early that morning, and the cabin was just perfect, when we came in with our CC group! We even had folks in suites raving about our room. ;) We met the Head Housekeeper later that day, at a Senior Officer's Party -- and told her what a great job our cabin stewards (by name) were doing. She wrote down our room number, and we received a lovely flower arrangement from her, the next day. Every time we saw our steward or his assistant after that, they had big smiles on their faces. I don't think I was able to open my own cabin door during the rest of the cruise -- if one of them saw me first. :p

Jane -- I agree, and I think you do make a good point. Most of us are reasonable about the expectations we have of our room steward -- and, are willing to speak up, if those expectations are not met. Even going up the "food chain", if necessary can be an entirely reasonable way to resolve a problem.

But, what this thread has reminded me of is the fact that we really need to praise and reward the room stewards, who do an outstanding job for us. Not just extra tip $$ (although I'm sure that's greatly appreciated, too). :cool:

What I'm talking about is putting the positive comments in writing. In addition to completely the post-cruise survey, you can use those "attention to detail" cards, to commend a crew member for going "above and beyond", at any time during the cruise. :)

A couple of years ago, on Millennium, we were very proud to have our "Sweet Sixteen" room featured on the r/c's cabin crawl. We mentioned this to our room steward early that morning, and the cabin was just perfect, when we came in with our CC group! We even had folks in suites raving about our room. ;) We met the Head Housekeeper later that day, at a Senior Officer's Party -- and told her what a great job our cabin stewards (by name) were doing. She wrote down our room number, and we received a lovely flower arrangement from her, the next day. Every time we saw our steward or his assistant after that, they had big smiles on their faces. I don't think I was able to open my own cabin door during the rest of the cruise -- if one of them saw me first. :p

We had much the same treatment in our stateroom on the Equinox when it was in our cabin crawl.

I couldn't agree with you more about showing your appreciation of the work done by the stateroom attendants. Saying "thanks" and "please" and appreciating the INCREDIBLY hard job that attending to other people's dirt is and NOT looking for little tiny things to complain about. We've never had a dirty stateroom, has everything always been perfect? No, but honestly after 20plus cruises I can't immediately think of anything so upsetting that going to the Hotel director would be necessary. Did I once have to ask twice for ice, yes. Was there a dirty glass left somewhere once, yes. Big deal. There is no more difficult job in the hospitality business than cleaning and most people would be ASTOUNDED at how horribly people leave hotel rooms, never caring that someone has to clean after them. I seek out our attendant and generally make better friends with those working on the ship than other passengers, we have something in common since I'm in the same business. Going through your room looking for problems at the start of a cruise sure is a good way to turn off your attendant, though I'm sure most would just say, "yes sir or madam" and take care of the issue.

Glad the op won't be coming to my house - no telling what he might find.;)

As I was helping our new pup get her ball from under the couch today, I saw not one but a couple of dust bunnies along with the stuffing from a recent toy the dogs chewed apart. I thought of this thread. ;) I need to do a Quality Control Audit...of myself! And report up the chain of command and complain to...myself again!

Edited by mickeysgal

If this were my behavior, my main concern would be how many times my toilet was cleaned with my toothbrush. Demeaning people and passive aggressive threats aren't the way to bring out the best in any human being.

Best response I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree about disturbing, don't see the fun.

I am a long time Celebrity cruiser. I have never had a bad waiter or room steward. Some have been superior, but all have been adequate. I have gotten to personally know wonderful, hardworking people who are overworked, underpaid, and always have a smile on their faces.

I have witnessed staff being treated rudely and with condescension by passengers on many occasions. That is so sad.

Absolutely agree. As my college age children would say "this is a first-world problem!" Really...complaining about dust on a cruise ship? We are so fortunate to be cruising. I, too, have never had a bad waiter or room steward, although I have seen rude demanding passengers. It's a cruise...

So I wonder, those who think it's inappropriate to call out the cabin stewards on the issues with the cabin, is it also wrong to send a steak back to the kitchen if it arrives well done when ordered rare?

How about sending back a beer of it is found to be warm, or has gone "skunked"?

What if I order a Grey Goose and tonic and they pour instead Absolute, but still charge me for the premium pour? Or if instead they pour Gin and soda?

If the activities director fails to host a trivia game one afternoon since they are so overworked and busy, do we not lodge a complaint about that?

If your luggage is misdelivered, or not delivered at all, after you placed it in the hands of the porter, do you just shrug it off and say, Oh well, they a have so many bags to handle it must overwork them, it happens. I won't bother anyone about it.

If you have a reservation at a specialty restaurant and you show up to find they have overbooked and given your seat away and have no open reservations, do you just suck it up and go to the buffet fir dinner, and not ask for a refund or talk to a manager or have them resolve the issue, after all they MUST be overwhelmed and VERY busy. Clearly they are overworked, ALL the seats are full in the restaurant...

If you get a hair color in the spa, and it comes out streaked and terrible, do you just pay and tip them, or do you ask them to fix it or give your money back.

I just don't see why cabin stewards get so much more empathy from you people than any other staff member on the ship. All I'm saying is if something is called to a staff members attention, and they don't tend to it, then it's appropriate to let their supervisors know. It's really not a lot to ask of a steward to dust a cabin if it needs dusted, even if the dust is hidden.

And the stories of Cabin Crawl cabins getting immaculately cleaned, why is it not OK to ask that MY cabin be immaculately cleaned as well, if that is important to me...even if it is not becoming a Celebrity Cruises show room.

I can say that when I was in Penthouse I hosted cabin crawl, and didn't even tell housekeeping to do anything special. But the ship on their own sent a special cleaning crew, and even maintenance to come and touchup paint the veranda in advance of the gathering....it shouldn't take a special gathering for the ship to make its cabins immaculate, in my mind anyway.

Edited by cle-guy

absolutely agree. As my college age children would say "this is a first-world problem!" really...complaining about dust on a cruise ship? We are so fortunate to be cruising. I, too, have never had a bad waiter or room steward, although i have seen rude demanding passengers. It's a cruise...

lol!!!

I'm trying to figure out the purpose of the original post: the OP does an extremely thorough job of checking the room out and knows the chain of command to go through in case it doesn't meet his high standards.

He says he wants advice on how people handle it themselves, but then turns around and says that very rarely are things not pristine. So then what advice, exactly, is needed?

It seems that the purpose of the post was to claim something outlandish and watch page after page of horrified responses pile up.

Mission accomplished.

So I wonder, those who think it's inappropriate to call out the cabin stewards on the issues with the cabin, is it also wrong to send a steak back to the kitchen if it arrives well done when ordered rare?

How about sending back a beer of it is found to be warm, or has gone "skunked"?

What if I order a Grey Goose and tonic and they pour instead Absolute, but still charge me for the premium pour? Or if instead they pour Gin and soda?

If the activities director fails to host a trivia game one afternoon since they are so overworked and busy, do we not lodge a complaint about that?

If your luggage is misdelivered, or not delivered at all, after you placed it in the hands of the porter, do you just shrug it off and say, Oh well, they a have so many bags to handle it must overwork them, it happens. I won't bother anyone about it.

If you have a reservation at a specialty restaurant and you show up to find they have overbooked and given your seat away and have no open reservations, do you just suck it up and go to the buffet fir dinner, and not ask for a refund or talk to a manager or have them resolve the issue, after all they MUST be overwhelmed and VERY busy. Clearly they are overworked, ALL the seats are full in the restaurant...

If you get a hair color in the spa, and it comes out streaked and terrible, do you just pay and tip them, or do you ask them to fix it or give your money back.

I just don't see why cabin stewards get so much more empathy from you people than any other staff member on the ship. All I'm saying is if something is called to a staff members attention, and they don't tend to it, then it's appropriate to let their supervisors know. It's really not a lot to ask of a steward to dust a cabin if it needs dusted, even if the dust is hidden.

And the stories of Cabin Crawl cabins getting immaculately cleaned, why is it not OK to ask that MY cabin be immaculately cleaned as well, if that is important to me...even if it is not becoming a Celebrity Cruises show room.

I can say that when I was in Penthouse I hosted cabin crawl, and didn't even tell housekeeping to do anything special. But the ship on their own sent a special cleaning crew, and even maintenance to come and touchup paint the veranda in advance of the gathering....it shouldn't take a special gathering for the ship to make its cabins immaculate, in my mind anyway.

What is different about the original poster's claim is that he said he went looking for problems. Yes nothing is perfect, all cruises have some issue or another, but in most of those cases people did not go looking for trouble. To me that's a huge difference.

I don't think that anyone who respond to this post would not report a problem if they found it and expect it to be taken care of. To go out seeking problems is a completely different issue

What is different about the original poster's claim is that he said he went looking for problems. Yes nothing is perfect, all cruises have some issue or another, but in most of those cases people did not go looking for trouble. To me that's a huge difference.

I don't think that anyone who respond to this post would not report a problem if they found it and expect it to be taken care of. To go out seeking problems is a completely different issue

I feel it matters not how a "problem" is discovered, by seeking it, by accidentally stumbling across it, that someone posts on these forums they left a sticker in a cabin 2 years ago, go look for it....whatever however is not important. What's important is that IF something is called to a staff member's attention it needs to be handled.

I got the point more from the OP that his issue is that he wants things tended to when brought up. And gives the staff a chance to do so. Seems to me most got on OP because he said he'd go to the the HD if not handled rather than follow assistant steward, housekeeping supervisor, housekeeping manager, guest services then Hotel director chain of command.

Some say his witch hunt for dust is silly and above and beyond acceptable. For some dust is a real concern as an allergen. Sure maybe not the case for OP, but the OP's procedures would be the same for those who do have an issue....OP is doing a service to future guests who may have dust allergies to have the room ready for them...So the OP is very concerned about cabin cleanliness, and tries to have it tended to upon entering the cabin, so that his voyage will meet his expectations, and not provoke him to say and do nothing and instead when completing the questionnaire just give housekeeping low scores without ever giving them a chance to resolve the issue. Then Housekeeping manager goes to the staff member to let them know of their failure based on guest surveys a month after the cruise is over, having missed the opportunity to provide superior problem resolution at the time of the incident.

No one should have to ask 2 times in the hospitality industry for something to be resolved. Problems can (and do) exist a far as I'm concerned, but what matters is HOW staff react to correct a problem. I honestly give higher marks to guest surveys when something goes wrong and is then fixed versus if things are just as they should be. Fixing a problem to me is going above and beyond, and a great show of great guest service.

Edited by cle-guy

Once my safe wasn't working (battery died), and other things but I don't seek it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one should have to ask 2 times in the hospitality industry for something to be resolved. Problems can (and do) exist a far as I'm concerned, but what matters is HOW staff react to correct a problem. I honestly give higher marks to guest surveys when something goes wrong and is then fixed versus if things are just as they should be. Fixing a problem to me is going above and beyond, and a great show of great guest service.

No, no one SHOULD have to ask twice, but since we are all dealing with human beings who make human errors sometimes things get missed...especially on a very busy day...or perhaps the attendant wasn't feeling well...OR they just forgot.

If I have a problem, not a serious problem, and NO dust behind a TV or a smudge on my trash can is NOT a serious problem(ok IF you're allergic to dust it could be) and I tell the attendant and he doesn't fix it, I'd probably remind him/her of it, IF it mattered that much, or possibly I'd do it myself. I'd NEVER think to go to his/her supervisor over minor issues. IF there were repeated more serious issues then I guess I would but that has never occurred in all my cruises.

For the cabin crawl I referred to our stateroom was clean all the time, but these were touches of fresh flowers and other items which are not the NORMAL everyday cleaning we all receive. It was a nice touch and appreciated.

I think the reason that people defend the stateroom attendants a bit more than other employees is that, after all, they are cleaning up after us, taking out our garbage, cleaning our toilets, changing our dirty sheets, vacuuming up the crumbs left on the floor, and taking care of all other manner of dirt we create..... It's NOT a fun job and I appreciate how tough it can be sometimes.

Edited by Gracie115

Heck, it isn't a fun job at home doing for your own family, how much worse is it for strangers?

And yes, it is their job, but they are still human and deserving of respect and understanding that, like the rest of us, they may miss something, make a mistake or be having an off day.

Seriously, anyone deliberately putting make up on the underside of a trash can to catch out their steward is taking things way too far.

I'm not getting dragged into this room steward cleanliness rabbit hole. Nope not me.

I will say however, that regardless of whether it's a dust bunny behind a TV, overcooked steak, bad drink, or poor service at the front desk, that doesn't give passengers the right to berate and mistreat cruise line employees not matter what their position is. I witnessed several instances of poor passenger behavior on our 11 night med cruise on Reflection. It was embarrassing. On more than one occasion I spoke to an employee and said, "on behalf of the 3,000 other passengers on board, I apologize for that jerk's behavior."

If I were someone like the OP I might have taken a different tactical approach that he did. "Honey or vinegar?"

I don't think the issue was with seeking out issues or stumbling upon them. There is absolutely zero wrong with inspecting your room for cleanliness when you arrive. I think I speak for the 'gang' here when I say the issue most are taking here is the military style inspection it was made out to be and the way it was handled(or is usually handled).

It's possible the OP was hyperbolic, but I don't think many took it that way, based on their over the top replies.There is nothing wrong with pointing out a problem to the appropriate person(s), most just tend to do it in a fashion where they don't sound 'above' the person making the mistake. When I say above, I mean as a human being....I get that we all paid a hefty sum of money for a clean room and perfectly cooked steak, but I don't view myself as better than anyone on that ship. Again, the OP could have been totally misinterpreted, but that's doubtful based on their replies.

C'mon, cle-guy, you've worked in the industry, you've had the guest that pointed out an issue and you apologized and ensured to them it would be corrected immediately...and then the guest continues to berate you and/or your establishment and threatens to call the home office or threatens to take their business elsewhere...right? The latter is never warranted, in most cases.

You are absolutely right, its the aggressive and almost militaristic way that he handles what isn't even a problem yet. There are ways to do things and ways not to do them, the OP is IMHO taking the wrong approach. I'd rather be out taking pictures of the ship and scenery than my room, better things to do.

Edited by dkjretired