TA Question & OBC Question

roothy123

First a bit off topic, hope you are out of the hospital for good today and that your healing continues until you are 110%!!

As to the invoice, from reading the posts, it seems that sometimes the cruise line invoices don't show all of the extras the TA and/or cruise line has promised the customer so agree that it certainly doesn't hurt and at times helps to have the TA invoice from day one show everything that the TA as well as cruise line has included for the customer.

Mix ups occur and having something in writing once aboard will help resolve issues and any responsible business will have invoices to keep track of their business.

Agree with this. Also, my "blue book" only reflects what the TA gave me, not the things I get as a result of the Your World promotion and Bronze status as a past passenger. However, these things are documented on invoices from the TA and Oceania, so I have a copy of those with me just in case. I've never experienced a problem with either a TA or Oceania coming through with what's promised, but it doesn't hurt to have documentation with you in case it does! Once I board Oceania and the cabin steward comes around with the little cards that state what is due, I will know for sure. Of course, I board (this cruise, anyway) on a Friday afternoon in Europe, so I guess if there is a discrepancy, I may have to wait until Monday to get it resolved!

Dave, I agree it would be helpful to newbies to have an agency invoice showing additional detail, but only in addition to an official cruise line invoice. I once used a different agency to book a cruise on a line my favorite agency did not service. When I didn't get an official invoice from the cruise line, I was uncomfortable until I navigated the depths of the cruise line web site and found a way to print my own.

I don't know why Oceania's system does not include some perks until one is on board, but they have all been honored and everything has worked out once I am on board. But then, my agent has never promised anything beyond what can be delivered.

Should be back home for good, today, all is good.

It's also good to take the Oceania invoice with you, as an occasional port employee will ask to see documentation that you are scheduled to cruise! I once didn't have it, and the page from my "blue book" from Oceania was at the bottom of my carryon. They had to go find someone to verify that we were boarding a cruise that day.

I have never received an invoice from the agency, nor would I want one. They simply pass on the precise invoice directly from Oceania. While I trust my agency implicitly, it's comforting to know they have not changed sny prices or included any unnecessary fees. In my experience if the agency is not giving you the sctual Oceania invoice, they are likely hiding something.

I guess I wasn't through enough, but like you, my invoices are always Oceania invoices.

I guess I wasn't through enough, but like you, my invoices are always Oceania invoices.

I like to have both. Granted, we are on our first Oceania cruise next summer and I have their invoice (but it will probably change as I drop the included air in one or both directions). But my TA also provides benefits (OBC and/or gratuities) that would never show up on the O invoice. So her invoice has the financial details plus her benefits.

Her invoice may not be useful onboard if something doesn't show up, but I would have it in writing to pursue any shortfalls after the cruise. It's just good sense to get all details in writing, regardless of the source.

Edited by bob278

I called Oceania today to verify all my amenities matched what my TA promised and Oceania stated they could not verify any of that info because I booked the cruise thru a TA and not directly thru them. It was my 1st call to Oceania and I was disappointed with the customer service. I believe I have everything in writing but it doesn't all seem to be in one place...some on invoice, some in the blue book and a letter from my TA. I think it will all be ok in the end but it's confusing. I'm not new to cruising but this will be my 1st Oceania.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I called Oceania today to verify all my amenities matched what my TA promised and Oceania stated they could not verify any of that info because I booked the cruise thru a TA and not directly thru them. It was my 1st call to Oceania and I was disappointed with the customer service. I believe I have everything in writing but it doesn't all seem to be in one place...some on invoice, some in the blue book and a letter from my TA. I think it will all be ok in the end but it's confusing. I'm not new to cruising but this will be my 1st Oceania.

I can't imagine what you're talking about, because the process which Oceania uses (i.e referring Clients who have used an Agent back to that Agent, in order to verify information) is literally industry wide.

Edited by StanandJim

I can't imagine what you're talking about, because the process which Oceania uses (i.e referring Clients who have used an Agent back to that Agent, in order to verify information) is literally industry wide.

I once asked my TA a question and then apologized, saying "I guess I could call Oceania myself, but..." to which he replied, "No, that's my job...." Silly me. The TA gets a commission from the cruise line, so I say, let them earn it! No more apologizing, and now I know to go the TA for information first!

StanandJim,

That's what I said when I talked to Oceania! When first looking to book I went to there website and requested a quote...I rec'd a generic email back from a travel agent (with no quote, no phone call or follow up) so at that point I decided to go with a TA I had used prior. My response was your current system makes it very difficult to book directly thru Oceania. I'm sure I have a decent TA but I just wanted to verify Oceania info with what I have. They wouldn't even verify the Amenities given directly by Oceania. I spoke to 2 different reps at Oceania and rec'd the same response (I went back to look for my original invoice and called them back when I had all docs in front of me) which was you need to go thru your TA.

True, however you need to be careful, a lot of TA are just booking agents and really don't give service or follow-up-all they want is the booking. Make sure you get a real TA that gives service period. Anything less, drop them--I did. Of course then she told be I was a "difficult client"----really. Well I have a good TA now booking by cruise and he's OK with the way I do business.

Rick

StanandJim,

That's what I said when I talked to Oceania! When first looking to book I went to there website and requested a quote...I rec'd a generic email back from a travel agent (with no quote, no phone call or follow up) so at that point I decided to go with a TA I had used prior. My response was your current system makes it very difficult to book directly thru Oceania. I'm sure I have a decent TA but I just wanted to verify Oceania info with what I have. They wouldn't even verify the Amenities given directly by Oceania. I spoke to 2 different reps at Oceania and rec'd the same response (I went back to look for my original invoice and called them back when I had all docs in front of me) which was you need to go thru your TA.

I'm actually very confused right now, because you seem to want to agree with me, when in reality your opinion of how the Travel Agent relationship should work is apparently the Polar opposite of mine.

Hold on to your Hat, but when you use the services of a Travel Agent, you are hiring a Professional to HANDLE THE RELATIONSHIP between you and the Cruise Line.

WHY do so many people think that it should be "fine" to ALSO do it themselves during the course of that very same transaction?

Halfway through doing your taxes, do you insist on calling the IRS, or do you sit back and let your Accountant do it?

When you last bought or sold Property, did you schedule the inspections and set up the Closing or did the Real Estate AGENT handle all that?

Either use an Agent or don't, but if you enter into a contract without knowing exactly what it is that you are buying, it isn't fair to expect everyone else to change their rules to suit you.

Edited by StanandJim

I did misread your post originally. I'm completely fine with letting my TA handle everything and I think they have done an excellent job. My confusion is documentation in different forms from both Oceania and the TA and the amenities read differently in all of those (which both Oceania and TA assure me is normal). Just wanted peace of mind from Oceania that I have everything as I understand it from my TA. Just didn't want to be on board and find out I misinterpreted something. Seems like a simple 2 minute customer service request that Oceania should be able to deliver on. I only use TA for these higher priced cruises (Regent and in this case Oceania). All the other lines or all inclusive vacations I just book myself online (carnival, ncl, ect)

Also I probably would not have even called Oceania directly but I saw a suggestion in this thread from luv2travel100 where she stated she called Oceania and found a discrepancy with what the TA had quoted...so I thought good idea...I'll make a quick call and verify all my info. It really was just all about peace of mind and clarification for me. When Oceania could not deliver I was surprised and disappointed. I'm sure it will all work out fine when I board...just like to have all my ducks in a row:)

I did misread your post originally. I'm completely fine with letting my TA handle everything and I think they have done an excellent job. My confusion is documentation in different forms from both Oceania and the TA and the amenities read differently in all of those (which both Oceania and TA assure me is normal).

If the perks are from Oceania it will be on your documents ...if from the TA via Oceania as some are they will also be on your O documents

If you have a deal for kickbacks from the TA it probably will not be on the O documents as that is between you & your TA

Document all the perks you are suppose to receive & when you get to the ship if not listed on the cards in your cabin contact your TA

I DO admire the way that you engage in doublespeak, i.e. your statement, " I'm completely fine with letting my TA handle everything and I think they have done an excellent job."; followed immediately by, "I'll make a quick call (to the Cruise Line) and verify all my info".

However, my purpose in engaging in this exchange is to point out that once you have taken on a Travel Agent, you have legally informed the Cruise Line that it is your choice that some other person will be representing you as regards your dealings with that Line.

In what World, then, is it surprising or disappointing that you are required to live by the deal which you struck, and handle those affairs through the Agent whom you chose and hired?

You may view the Travel Agent as nothing more than a glorified booking clerk, but the fact of the matter is that when you grant agency to a third party, you have crafted a VERY DIFFERENT relationship with the Travel Provider than you might have had if you purchased that same Travel directly.

Therefore, when they directed you back to your Agent, Oceania was not shirking a responsibility, rather, they were acting professionally.

Edited by StanandJim

Also I probably would not have even called Oceania directly but I saw a suggestion in this thread from luv2travel100 where she stated she called Oceania and found a discrepancy with what the TA had quoted...so I thought good idea...I'll make a quick call and verify all my info. It really was just all about peace of mind and clarification for me. When Oceania could not deliver I was surprised and disappointed. I'm sure it will all work out fine when I board...just like to have all my ducks in a row:)

One way to handle this would be for your TA to set up a 3-way call with herself, Oceania and you. Then there will be no question about who has authority to speak and virtually no room for error. The result may be less than desired but it should be well understood by all parties.

As stated a couple of times, any perk/benefit/etc. that Oceania provides (either alone or in partnership with a TA) should be on their invoice. Anything a TA provides on their own will not be on anything you receive from Oceania but should be documented on their invoice (and I would want an invoice in addition to any conversations or e-mails). That is how it is working for our first cruise with O and every cruise with other cruise lines that we have taken. It hasn't happened to me yet, but if something my TA committed to give me was not delivered on board, I would not expect O to help out but I would look to my TA to make it right either during the cruise or after. It is in her best interest because she probably paid for something (such as OBC) and if I didn't get it, she would want her money back and then deal with keeping me happy.

I've gone with a new travel agent for my Oceania cruise (my previous agency didn't handle Oceania), and so far, I'm not especially impressed with her responsiveness. I chose based on a recommendation and a fairly large rebate, but I didn't realize how much I might be sacrificing service. For example, I noticed a (small but significant) price decrease on my cruise. When I called her, she said she would call Oceania and get back to me. It seems like I didn't get any response until I tried calling again. Given that there are some cabins in a higher category that are appealing if Oceania will upgrade instead of refunding (I'm not yet sure what they'll do), there is some time-dependence here.

It seems to me that some agents are going to be very good at managing the relationship between the client and the cruise line and some aren't, so it's a bit frustrating that I NEED to always go through that intermediary, even with things that are handled much more efficiently (likely for both the cruise line and for me) without her intervention.

I've gone with a new travel agent for my Oceania cruise (my previous agency didn't handle Oceania), and so far, I'm not especially impressed with her responsiveness. I chose based on a recommendation and a fairly large rebate, but I didn't realize how much I might be sacrificing service. For example, I noticed a (small but significant) price decrease on my cruise. When I called her, she said she would call Oceania and get back to me. It seems like I didn't get any response until I tried calling again. Given that there are some cabins in a higher category that are appealing if Oceania will upgrade instead of refunding (I'm not yet sure what they'll do), there is some time-dependence here.

It seems to me that some agents are going to be very good at managing the relationship between the client and the cruise line and some aren't, so it's a bit frustrating that I NEED to always go through that intermediary, even with things that are handled much more efficiently (likely for both the cruise line and for me) without her intervention.

That's the biggest issue we all face when we decide to use a TA. After all, it is OUR choice. The key (and it may take more than one try) is to find a TA who does give good service. The rules are pretty well known (or should be to anyone who spends much time on Cruise Critic). So it boils down to this: is the value you think you will get for giving up most of your immediate control over the reservation worth it? If the answer is "Yes" and you give the booking to a TA, then you have to live within that particular set of rules. If the answer is "No" then you keep complete control and shouldn't care that someone else on your cruise has a lower overall cost. We can't have it both ways because all the cruise lines have it set up that way.

In my case, even though we are trying O for the first time next summer and my TA told me up front she doesn't book a lot with them. her willingness to do the work satisfies me that the value I get in rebates/OBC or however the extra value is delivered is worth it to me. For instance, the OBC (or discount, my choice) for our cruise is about 6% of the Invoice Grand Total. Based on my history with her, I trust that if a better deal comes along, she will work with me to get it. However, since I am not her nly client, I also check myself for deals/price drops. That way there are two sets of eyes looking out (maybe even a third because I have been alerted to price drops on roll calls here on Cruise Critic).

There is no right or wrong answer here because each of us have our own parameters for what makes us happy.

Edited by bob278

I DO admire the way that you engage in doublespeak, i.e. your statement, " I'm completely fine with letting my TA handle everything and I think they have done an excellent job."; followed immediately by, "I'll make a quick call (to the Cruise Line) and verify all my info".

However, my purpose in engaging in this exchange is to point out that once you have taken on a Travel Agent, you have legally informed the Cruise Line that it is your choice that some other person will be representing you as regards your dealings with that Line.

In what World, then, is it surprising or disappointing that you are required to live by the deal which you struck, and handle those affairs through the Agent whom you chose and hired?

You may view the Travel Agent as nothing more than a glorified booking clerk, but the fact of the matter is that when you grant agency to a third party, you have crafted a VERY DIFFERENT relationship with the Travel Provider than you might have had if you purchased that same Travel directly.

Therefore, when they directed you back to your Agent, Oceania was not shirking a responsibility, rather, they were acting professionally.

While you often give accurate responses, in this case have no idea of where you get the idea that anyone has legally informed the cruiseline that you are giving up your right to get information from the cruise line and have another person will be representing you in any transactions/questions?

Have done about 20 (all thru TA's) cruises and never once have I signed a document that legally had me giving up my right to contact the cruise line. By simply contacting a TA and asking them to book me on a cruise does NOT legally limit my ability to talk to and get information from anyone. When you say legally, think you are going way too far. While the cruise line can do what they want in this discussion, to use the word legally adds a connotation that simply doesn't exist in any case I have been involved in and doubt others have been involved with.

As others have posted, sometimes there are issues that are easier resolved or answered person to person without going thru an intermediary such as a TA and while any company has a right to determine how they will work with clients or TA's, the time savings of person to person can be substantial and thus save money.

Don't think you wanted to bring legally into this discussion and think you should remove that connotation from this issue.

Thanks,

When we boarded Riviera in February, there was a discrepancy in our OBC. Passenger Services called our TA and it was all straightened out. Bring your paper work with you, but it will probably not be necessary. We were able to use our phone at our first port (Key West) and called our TA. He said Oceania had already called and all our OBC was credited. Sometimes it takes a day after you board for a TA OBC to appear on your shipboard account.

I've gone with a new travel agent for my Oceania cruise (my previous agency didn't handle Oceania), and so far, I'm not especially impressed with her responsiveness. I chose based on a recommendation and a fairly large rebate, but I didn't realize how much I might be sacrificing service.

Sometimes it is a choice a large rebate from an order taker or service from a good TA ;)

If someone is giving up a chunk or their commission how much work will they do for you when something really goes wrong :rolleyes:

Some get lucky & have both most do not

YMMV

have no idea of where you get the idea that anyone has legally informed the cruiseline that you are giving up your right to get information from the cruise line and have another person will be representing you in any transactions/questions?

I stand by my statements entirely.

I get my idea of the tenants of Agency directly from the Word AGENT for which the pertinent definition would be: " A business or service authorized to act for others".

At the point where the Passenger grants that authorization, as well as when the Cruise line pays that Agents fees via the commission, the legal relationship between those two parties is changed irrevocably.

If it weren't, the Cruise Lines would hardly fork over millions of dollars annually in Commissions, now would they? What would the point be?

As society becomes less formal and the Internet provides resources which we lay people could not have dreamed of having in the past, it may be true that the Passenger/Agent/Travel Provider relationship needs to morph into something less structured, but I became involved in this discussion to point out that assuming that the three parties may continue to interact in a completely laissez faire manner is a recipe for disaster.

In short, granting Agency, even to a Travel Agent, has consequences as well as benefits.

It is very easy for us to interpret things based on our experiences in life.

A lawyer (or someone deeply involved in the legal profession) might argue that engaging an agent to "assist us with negotiations" or provide other services does not necessarily remove our right of access.

Could we not agree that a reasonable statement describing this process would be "Under publicly disclosed policies, we knowingly give up our direct access to a cruise line to manage our bookings if we engage a travel agent"?

It is very easy for us to interpret things based on our experiences in life.

A lawyer (or someone deeply involved in the legal profession) might argue that engaging an agent to "assist us with negotiations" or provide other services does not necessarily remove our right of access.

Could we not agree that a reasonable statement describing this process would be "Under publicly disclosed policies, we knowingly give up our direct access to a cruise line to manage our bookings if we engage a travel agent"?

I admire your negotiation skills, Bob, and while I do agree that using an Agent does not legally impact the Passengers ACCESS to the Cruise Line, there is also something to be said for professional courtesy, and ability of the Agent and the Line to work together efficiently.

Naturally, the Line wants to avoid situations where plans get made, then unmade, then made again because of hiccups in communication and the simplest way to avoid that is by having all contact go through the Agent whom the passenger has chosen.

The Cruise Line is already paying, a sometimes very substantial, fee to that Agent, so if the Passenger develops concerns about the veracity or the ability of the Agent, the key is to change Agents, not try to rethink the terms of Agency on the fly.

Edited by StanandJim