Veranda, guarantee vs. assigned cabin

ericosmith

We have cruised a number of times on Princess but never on Celebrity. We're considering a winter cruise at the Equinox but there is a huge price difference between a guarantee and the least expensive assigned cabin. I don't usually do guarantees but for a $1000 savings I certainly have to consider it. What are the chances of getting an obstructed view, and how obstructed are those views. Any guidance would certainly be most appreciated.

We have cruised a number of times on Princess but never on Celebrity. We're considering a winter cruise at the Equinox but there is a huge price difference between a guarantee and the least expensive assigned cabin. I don't usually do guarantees but for a $1000 savings I certainly have to consider it. What are the chances of getting an obstructed view, and how obstructed are those views. Any guidance would certainly be most appreciated.

I wouldn't hesitate. WORST case scenario is 2D, where the top of the lifeboat comes up to the balcony railing, and there aren't many of those. Next is 2C where the top of the lifeboat comes up to the floor of the balcony. For $1000 I could live with either--but you may very well get a completely unobstructed balcony.

They don't often offer guarantees this far out--I'd jump on it.

As long as you would be happy with a 2D then I would go for it :) I've done a few gty's and always been happy with what I was given. My daughter is on Silhouette at the moment and got a 1a with. 3x sized balcony on the hump as her gty! :D

I booked a guarantee stateroom for my next cruise. I was fully aware of the "worst possible scenario" and was quite happy to have that restriction for the price. I paid in full - slightly before due date and within 2 days I had my room allocated - on deck 8 :) :) A truly happy person here !

I have booked GTY's twice now on Solstice class ships.

1st time was a balcony and ended up with a 2A. Once allocated changed to a 2A in a better location on the hump.

2nd time booked an Aqua GTY, received our allocation A1 and swapped to a cabin with the largest angled balcony on the hump.

Saved substantial money each time. In saying all that we would have been fine with any cabin in that class for the price we paid. Can't lose in my opinion.

Photos of those obstructed 2C and 2D balconies with the lifeboats have been posted here before.

You could search this forum to find them, or else simply google

photos celebrity equinox obstructed view balconies

But as others have mentioned, you may get lucky and end up with a totally unobstructed balcony.

Edited by fleckle

I wouldn't hesitate. WORST case scenario is 2D, where the top of the lifeboat comes up to the balcony railing, and there aren't many of those. Next is 2C where the top of the lifeboat comes up to the floor of the balcony. For $1000 I could live with either--but you may very well get a completely unobstructed balcony.

They don't often offer guarantees this far out--I'd jump on it.

One of Patti's fav cabin is a 2c above Blu

Also good thing you are doing the Caribbean cruise because Transatlantic are awful

I always booked an assigned stateroom until recently when I took the chance on a gty. The first time was for an upgrade to a CC guarantee from a verandah stateroom. We won the lottery and got an aft CC cabin with a huge extended balcony on the Millennium. It was fabulous.

On our upcoming cruise we have booked there was a huge price difference to book an assigned verandah cabin vs a guarantee verandah. We booked the guarantee and got assigned a 2B. I'm happy enough with the cabin location.

We used to always book AQ but rarely used the Persian gardens so no have decided we're happy enough as long as its a verandah and with our savings can eat in the specialty dining if we want.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We booked a Guarantee balcony room for a European Cruise on Eclipse in September - we have been assigned a 1C currently £1700 more than we paid. We're very happy. It's aft and quite a way from the lifts and we may not have picked this room if we had paid to select a 1C room but nevertheless we're very happy.

For a $1000 difference I would definitely go for the guarantee. For that amount of money I could certainly tolerate some obstruction in the view. My only hesitation would likely relate to location vis a vis motion of the waves. If I was sailing a location with a lot of sea days I would not take the chance of being very far forward or aft. If sea days were minimal, I would take the chance and hope for calm seas. I also think people new to Celebrity tend to have a better chance of getting an 'upgrade' to a higher category room. It is supposed to be random, but I am skeptical about that. It may be, but worst case you don't get upgraded and have a great time anyway.

Edited by phoenix_dream

I would say book the GTY. We have friends that were thinking about joining us on the Equinox this Nov, and the current 2D Veranda GTY for 2 rate is $3,798.00 USD. Where the pick your cabin 1C is $5,018.00 USD for 2. And you still have the fees to add!:eek:

Use the $1000 to have fun, book the GTY!

I just booked a concierge guarantee on Reflection through a large internet provider. Within a week my cabin assignment showed up on the Celebrity website. The cabin C2 reported some noise from the buffet in the mornings. I emailed my internet agent with a C2 cabin on deck 10 with a larger balcony that was available and stated I know it's a guarantee, but any chance? Within 2 hours I received a new confirmation for that cabin at no additional cost!! Yippee.

It was my first time booking a guarantee and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ee1999

In the UK once assigned are you not allowed to change your cabin to another available within the assigned category?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

No in the UK you can't change once assigned. It happened occasionally in the past thanks to a wonderful Captains club staff member but she's no longer with Celebrity.

Chances are good in getting an obstructed view, After all, you may be assigned a cabin no one selects. As long as you will be satisfied with an obstructed cabin, I say go for it.

For a recent Celebrity Veranda guarantee, we are assigned a 2C and happy with the cabin and especially the savings. We've had a AQ and CC guarantee for other cruises.

enjoy and good luck

m

Edited by cruisegirl1