Azamara vs Oceania - my view

TERRIER1

One food category in which Azamara wins hands down is ice cream. Its homemade ice cream is far superior to that offered on Oceania. Also the made-to-order breakfast items delivered to your table without having to stand in the egg line.

Other than that, Oceania is superior in the food wars. (Although its version of New York-style cheesecake is a vast misnomer; however, I cannot remember the cheesedcake served on Azamara.)

It's funny how we all differ, I had ice cream at least once every day on Oceania but on our last Azamara trip I could take it or leave it, wasn't impressed :)

However I think both Azamara and Oceania are great cruise lines with different strengths and weaknesses.

We're happy to cruise on both lines.

Edited by Glenndale

It's funny how we all differ, I had ice cream at least once every day on Oceania but on our last Azamara trip I could take it or leave it, wasn't impressed :)

I am just off 2 O cruises (where I sample the ice cream) and I will be on Quest in a month. I plan to do a taste test of the ice cream and compare. I will report back. LOLOL

I am just off 2 O cruises (where I sample the ice cream) and I will be on Quest in a month. I plan to do a taste test of the ice cream and compare. I will report back. LOLOL

I await your judgment!

I should clarify that the ice cream opinion I posted was based largely, although not exclusively, on the oft-expressed opinion of the ice cream expert in my household: my spouse, a devotee of ice cream. My own comparison does not include daily sampling because cake is my dessert downfall, particularly the chocolate volcano cake that appears on the dessert menu under so many names on each Oceania cruise. :)

Edited by CintiPam

I haven't followed every comment here but just wanted to mention for the Az fans on here that today the captain was putting (golf) as part of a very fun officers vs passengers sports competition on Insignia. So while Az may have a 30 year old captain who slings burgers (according to an Az fan on board) it isn't exactly like ours is a recluse!

Had the sugar free coffee ice cream today and it was great! This cruise has been awesome, both from an itinerary and cruise standpoint combined. Only disappointment is that there are two kids on board (from the Netherlands, maybe 8 and 10) that are beating everyone on board in the sports competitions! My husband isn't doing too well on his quest for Big O points!

• 1 month later...
We very much enjoyed Terrier1's interesting comparison - we were actually on the 'second leg' of that cruise and also had a wonderful time. After 9 cruises on Azamara we are cruising with Oceania for the first time in October, on the Riviera. Admit we are a bit dubious about a bigger ship, being so familiar with the smaller 'R' ships which feel like home to us. However, the recent offer on O with free flights, upgrade, gratuities and Prestige drinks package made it worth overcoming our reservations and giving O a try. Think we will miss the friendly atmosphere and fantastic, attentive crew of Azamara and can't imagine any other ship having such a welcoming feeling, but are willing to be proved wrong! We are, however, looking forward to having a more spacious suite and bigger bathroom than we have in our usual verandah cabin on Azamara (not that we ever have any issues 'fighting with the shower curtain' that so many people complain about!). Just hope there are no problems with embarkation, shuttles etc. Watch this space after October!

We are cruising Riviera for the first time in November, after cruising Azamara exclusively for the last 5 years. It was the package you described which also encouraged us to give 'O' a try, and the fact that we've been to all the Ports before and after a very stressful year, health and family wise, we just needed a chill out cruise at a sensible price. We will be able to take full advantage of what is on offer and that will, I am sure, help us decide if Oceania is a cruiseline we should consider going forward.

I hope you will post your thoughts after your cruise and also any 'tips' for first timers. I hope you both have a fabulous cruise, though I do doubt that the onboard ambience can beat Azamara, but we shall see.

Will be watching 'this space' with interest! 😃

Hi Flor,

>Oceania has DH's favorite white wine ....

Please, please, please. What is it?

Ira

IRA, if you are still here: It's Austrian, gruener Veltliner.

In the meantime, we've been on our first Celebrity ship, the Xpedition in the Galapagos. I guess that's not a typical cruise ship. We also saw the M/V Anakonda on the Napo River, what great luxury in the jungle!

• 2 months later...

Just back from first Azamara experience and really could not have been more pleased.......so thanks to Terrier for the wonderfully detailed assessment of each which provided the motivation to give Azamara a try. Despite the "sketchy weather" we had, I found that virtually all the comments made comparing the 2 lines to be spot on. And as for us, we have found a new preferred cruise line in "A" as they delivered clearly more value and fun than "O". Thanks for all the comments.

A small difference, but under the category if you only get one chance to make a first impression: on A, we requested the regular sodas in our minibar be replaced with diet. Nothing happened. Requested again. Nothing happened. Left all the regulars out on the table and finally the steward figured it out.

On O, we met the two stewardesses when cabins were available and requested all diet. One hour later, and for the entire cruise, we had all diet in our fridge. Thank you, Alona and Stephanie, two outstanding assets on O's Riviera.

I'm Elite + with Celebrity, so there would be a definite benefit to try Azamara .

I don't like Celebrity's older Millennium class ships, and I won't sail on Regent again until their new ship is built. So 15 yo Azamara ships wouldn't make me happy.

I'm looking forward to trying Oceania next month, the Riviera...a newer ship

Just back from first Azamara experience and really could not have been more pleased.......so thanks to Terrier for the wonderfully detailed assessment of each which provided the motivation to give Azamara a try. Despite the "sketchy weather" we had, I found that virtually all the comments made comparing the 2 lines to be spot on. And as for us, we have found a new preferred cruise line in "A" as they delivered clearly more value and fun than "O". Thanks for all the comments.

We may have been on the same cruise if "sketchy weather" = rain rain and rain...

Although the experience on this Azamara cruise was much much better than our last one, all things being equal we would still cruise O but only because we value cuisine quality greatly and O is still better than Azamara in that regard (although it is true on Azamara the entrees do in almost all cases come out hot which is great!). The only dining advantage Azamara has over O is at Aqualina.

If we didn't care about cuisine very much we would choose Azamara because it does provide a very good overall cruise experience on a smallish ship and the art auctions and photographers are there but not a nuisance.

Edited by ShopperfiendTO