Azamara vs Oceania - my view

TERRIER1

Interesting topic.

I have considered Azamara in the past, because of my Elite + status on Celebrity and preference for smaller ships.

The age of the Azamara ships is what concerns me. I sailed on the older Regent ships many times, but stopped in 2010 because of their age and condition.

The size of the cabins and design of the bathrooms ( shower curtains ) are another concern.

I prefer newer ships and larger cabins hence my upcoming cruise on the Riviera. Given the great reviews of Azamara on the Oceania message board, I think I need to reconsider my hesitance!

Kevnzworld: Can I call you Zworl for short?

My partner and I said "farewell" to Celebrity in May of 2013 after 245 days onboard. If you can tolerate the "new and improved" Celebrity, you can basically put up with anything!

The Quest was in fabulous condition ... you would never have known how old she was. In fact, it was shocking to realize that Quest was 5 years older that the vomitrius Celebrity Summit that we had sailed on 4 months earlier.

Admittedly, the cabin on the Quest was smallish and the shower curtain a total pain.

But ....choosing between Oceania and Azamara is akin to deciding whether you want Veuve Clicqout or Pol Roger .... they're both fabulous but ... different.

Whereas we loved our accommodations and the specialty restaurants on O, we equally loved the special "vibe" that everyone talks about on A.

It's a no lose situation ....whoever is offering the best itinerary at the time that you want to go wins!

Itinerary and R ship are my first two priorities.

Given equal itineraries I would choose Oceania

But I have 3 cruises scheduled on Azamara ---- so I guess itineraries trump it all.

I do not believe the folks who adore the O class ships will flock to Azamara. Some of them don't even want to be on the Oceania R ships -- cabins too small, bathrooms too small, no extra restaurants, no cooking classes etc -- which are updated and in better condition. Different ball game completely. Also, if you MUST have that Oceania bed, you might be disappointed on Azamara (not a deal breaker for me but I have met some people who cruise for the beds. LOLOL). Go figure.

On my recent cruise I met a few O regulars who had tried Azamara years ago and hated it. It was a different product then. Much improved now. Folks should keep an open mind.

But if you are an R-ship lover and are not obsessed with food (food is just not nearly as good on Azamara IMO but it is certainly good enough for most of us), Azamara is a great choice.

Unfortunately, as has been mentioned, Azamara is giving away a lot of cruise opportunities to charters. For 2016 I have found only 1 Azamara itinerary that I might be interested in. I am waiting to see what O has to offer.

Whatever you do, DO NOT deal with Azamara directly. A nightmare. Use a TA.

After reading a lot of these comparisons I think people enjoy the friendliness of the crew. The Captian sets the tone as he leads the crew.

Agree with you. The Captain (and, IMO, the General Manager) do set the tone. According to a G.M. and another officer that we have spoken with and who switch between Regent and Oceania, there is no emphasis to interact with guests on Oceania. It sounds like the officers and crew on Azamara are similar to Regent. -- a lot of interaction.

P.S. Not trying to suggest that Oceania be like Regent as they are totally separate products. However, if Azamara has taken customers away from Oceania (doubtful), this could be something to think about.

Edited by Travelcat2

According to a G.M. and another officer that we have spoken with and who switch between Regent and Oceania, there is no emphasis to interact with guests on Oceania.

Every Oceania cruise is different. Some GM's are all over the place, constantly interacting with passengers. Others are barely visible. We all have our favorites. On the O cruise from which I just disembarked, the Executive Chef was the most visible and engaged of any I have seen. It was remarkable.

The difference is that is the CULTURE of Azamara to have this engagement. It is not the culture of Oceania. When it happens on O, it is the individual that drives it.

I am comfortable when the senior on-board leadership puts their attention on the professional aspects of their positions. Forced passenger interaction is low on my needs. For some reason this reminds me of the situation when local police departments decide that its members become "officer friendly".

I am comfortable when the senior on-board leadership puts their attention on the professional aspects of their positions. Forced passenger interaction is low on my needs. For some reason this reminds me of the situation when local police departments decide that its members become "officer friendly".

My impression is it is not really forced but part of the deal. I think when the officers and crew are engaging it makes the passengers feel special.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

When I take a cruise my fellow passengers are those that I want to become friends with. I want the crew to be pleasant but most of all competent . Kind of like my doctors I want them to have pleasant personalities but most importantly be really good at their jobs. I find both lines hire people of this type.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Terrier1 for such a detailed and thoughtful comparison. We have heretofore been avid "O" fans nearing Gold Status (15 cruises) with them, but NEVER AGAIN! Over the years, multiple "issues" - some trivial, most anything but - have led us to consider other lines and your review gives me hope that we can find another home! We have basically enjoyed cruises on all 5 of their ships and have a particular affinity for the "R" class vessels since the Renaissance days so Azamara looks to be right up our alley. As a result of your comments, we have booked a cruise in November with them and desperately hope they deliver as you outlined as we truly enjoy meeting "cruisers" and seeing the world. Finally had enough of the games O play and the abusive pricing tactics they employ........particularly their grossly overpriced excursions. We have mostly found their rooms to be comfortable and clean, the food good and the "worker bees" that do all the work terrific.....but find their management to be arrogant or indifferent and I can't figure out which I find worse! Great as long as things are going well but run like a hair-waxed Jack Russell or become totally defensive if any issues arise. Its as though they have heard it many times before and are not the least bit interested in solving problems. And their "Welcome Home" and "We're Family" marketing slogans are empty and disingenuous.......and just that - marketing slogans. Certainly just one couple's opinion based on our experiences but have talked to enough fellow cruisers to know we are not nut cases as they described similar concerns. I think that their success has caused them to lose their way.....sadly! But I am hopeful that the experience on Azamara will restore the pleasures of cruising we have experienced in the past. Thanks again for sharing your impressions.

Thanks Terrier1 for such a detailed and thoughtful comparison. We have heretofore been avid "O" fans nearing Gold Status (15 cruises) with them, but NEVER AGAIN! Over the years, multiple "issues" - some trivial, most anything but - have led us to consider other lines and your review gives me hope that we can find another home! We have basically enjoyed cruises on all 5 of their ships and have a particular affinity for the "R" class vessels since the Renaissance days so Azamara looks to be right up our alley. As a result of your comments, we have booked a cruise in November with them and desperately hope they deliver as you outlined as we truly enjoy meeting "cruisers" and seeing the world. Finally had enough of the games O play and the abusive pricing tactics they employ........particularly their grossly overpriced excursions. We have mostly found their rooms to be comfortable and clean, the food good and the "worker bees" that do all the work terrific.....but find their management to be arrogant or indifferent and I can't figure out which I find worse! Great as long as things are going well but run like a hair-waxed Jack Russell or become totally defensive if any issues arise. Its as though they have heard it many times before and are not the least bit interested in solving problems. And their "Welcome Home" and "We're Family" marketing slogans are empty and disingenuous.......and just that - marketing slogans. Certainly just one couple's opinion based on our experiences but have talked to enough fellow cruisers to know we are not nut cases as they described similar concerns. I think that their success has caused them to lose their way.....sadly! But I am hopeful that the experience on Azamara will restore the pleasures of cruising we have experienced in the past. Thanks again for sharing your impressions.

Hope you enjoy your experience. A big negative about Azamara is that they are chartering out their ships for extended periods. I had booked a B2B for September 2016 while on board. They have now chartered the Quest for most of Sept/Oct and my cruises are affected. Just a heads up. Need to post the good with the bad.

Extensive chartering can be a cause for thought. Why is the cruise line following this strategy? They must be aware this can be a negative for "regular" cruisers. Where is their priority? Don't have the answer but probably takes AZ down a bit for most regulars.

Extensive chartering can be a cause for thought. Why is the cruise line following this strategy? They must be aware this can be a negative for "regular" cruisers. Where is their priority? Don't have the answer but probably takes AZ down a bit for most regulars.

It is a VERY sore spot on the Azamara boards right now. Not even their cheerleader regulars are defending it. Azamara has canceled cruises nine months out and chartered ships. Just like that. Profit over loyal passengers.

I have one cruise on Azamara next month and a b2b next September. if I could cancel the b2b without penalty I would but I booked it on board and the penalty would be 1000 non refundable for both of us (2 cruises, 250 apiece down payment -- not refundable like Oceania). I do not think I will book with them again. I cannot abide the uncertainty of booking a cruise and then having it cancelled on what I consider short notice. It is unfortunate -- the pre cruise experience is a nightmare -- even my TA hates dealing with them - it's Guatemala now -- but the on board experience is excellent. At this point I do not think the latter makes up for the former.

We have heretofore been avid "O" fans nearing Gold Status (15 cruises) with them, but NEVER AGAIN! Over the years, multiple "issues" - some trivial, most anything but - have led us to consider other lines and your review gives me hope that we can find another home! ...... Finally had enough of the games O play and the abusive pricing tactics they employ........particularly their grossly overpriced excursions. We have mostly found their rooms to be comfortable and clean, the food good and the "worker bees" that do all the work terrific.....but find their management to be arrogant or indifferent and I can't figure out which I find worse! .

Would you care to elaborate?

No one forces you to use Oceania's excursions! There are easy-to-book private tours in every port. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

From OP's post it would appear to me that there are issues well beyond the cost of shorex's - JMO.

We may or may not hear about them.

Starting to feel a bit worried about our imminent first cruise on Oceania (Riviera) after enjoying every one of our 9 cruises on Azamara! Thought we would try Oceania when we got a good offer which compared favourably to the 'More Inclusive' Azamara product. We feel sure we will miss the family feeling and friendly crew of Azamara but hope the bigger cabin and not having to pay for the speciality restaurants will 'soften the blow'. Not intending to take any of O's expensive shore excursions so hopefully we won't be disappointed!

Starting to feel a bit worried about our imminent first cruise on Oceania (Riviera) after enjoying every one of our 9 cruises on Azamara! Thought we would try Oceania when we got a good offer which compared favourably to the 'More Inclusive' Azamara product. We feel sure we will miss the family feeling and friendly crew of Azamara but hope the bigger cabin and not having to pay for the speciality restaurants will 'soften the blow'. Not intending to take any of O's expensive shore excursions so hopefully we won't be disappointed!

You have NOTHING to worry about. The experiences are comparable. The crew and staff and very friendly on Oceania and the service is excellent -- it's just a bit different from Azamara . Enjoy your cruise.

We enjoy both Oceania and Azamara cruises, both fine products once onboard. IMO, the friendliness of staff, shuttles at each port where needed and included beverages are very nice strengths on Azamara; the beautifullly appointed staterooms and common areas, responsive shoreside staff, and excellent food are strengths on Oceania.

The extensive chartering on Azamara in both spring and fall of 2015 and fall of 2016 really have made it difficult for many Azamara regulars, particularly when only nine months advance notice of cancellation was provided for additional charters next spring.

Edited by CintiPam

You definitely won't be disappointed with Oceania. It is different from Azamara in some ways, but aren't all cruise lines different. We will be leaving for our 19th cruise in a few weeks. If we didn't enjoy it so much, we'd be on different ships! The food is very, very good, the beds are wonderful and the service is impeccable. The staff is as friendly as I wish the staff to be. Some officers are more visible than others, but always will stop to say hello and/or answer a question. On our last cruise the Executive Chef was just the best - he was truly visible! Keep an open mind and just enjoy the experience! Arlene ;)

You definitely won't be disappointed with Oceania. It is different from Azamara in some ways, but aren't all cruise lines different. We will be leaving for our 19th cruise in a few weeks. If we didn't enjoy it so much, we'd be on different ships! The food is very, very good, the beds are wonderful and the service is impeccable. The staff is as friendly as I wish the staff to be. Some officers are more visible than others, but always will stop to say hello and/or answer a question. On our last cruise the Executive Chef was just the best - he was truly visible! Keep an open mind and just enjoy the experience! Arlene ;)

....we're envious.... Wish we were heading out on another cruise too! :) We totally enjoyed our first Oceania Cruise and meeting so many wonderful people, like yourselves! We hope you have a fabulous time. Totally agree with your comments about Oceania. We will definitely be sailing Oceania again!

Doris.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Does Azamara have a great French baker on board? Excellent baguettes, delicious croissants? Berries for breakfast? First rate cheese selection? Sushi every night? Super delicious ice cream?

We did only one Azamara cruise a few years ago and I only remember the chocolate-almond croissants as outstanding. None of the other items. But we haven't booked again because we could not find an itinerary we liked and all AZ cruises were short.

Does Azamara have a great French baker on board? Excellent baguettes, delicious croissants? Berries for breakfast? First rate cheese selection? Sushi every night? Super delicious ice cream?

We did only one Azamara cruise a few years ago and I only remember the chocolate-almond croissants as outstanding. None of the other items. But we haven't booked again because we could not find an itinerary we liked and all AZ cruises were short.

The bread products on Azamara do not compare to similar products on Oceania. To me that's a good thing as it keeps the pounds off. LOL Croissants, baguettes and pastries are certainly not a deciding factor for me. If you cruise for the food, Oceania's food is better and I'd advise you to stay with Oceania. But Azamara's food is good -- and if good food is enough for you then you will be fine.

Azamara has short cruises in general which is why we booked s b2b. Our September 2015 cruise is 21 days (9 + 12). The nice thing about their brochures (and their itineraries) is that the cruises are listed by ship in chronological order so you can easily find a b2b option. Also, they tend not to repeat ports from cruise to cruise so a b2b will take to to different ports on each leg.

It's an option. I like having options.

They have very good ice cream but no malteds and milk shakes. Oceania is ahead in the food department and no one can beat their bread. As I said before in other posts, their bakery chefs should be sainted. We don't eat sushi so I never noticed and my husband had fresh fruit but I can't recall if he had berries. The cheeses were very good but there was no cheese cart like in Jacques. The experience is different. They excel in other ways like having their own free bus transfers. It was nice to have another option to sail. We still love Oceania.