Dress for "Cocktail party with ship's officers"?

zone8grandma

We recently had an upsell to a Neptune suite. Now this is our first cruise, so there are plenty of unknowns already. But reading about the suite amenities it says:

"Cocktail party with ship's officers"

How do people dress for this? Is it in the afternoon or evening?

We've already decided to forgo formal dress night and either have room service or eat elsewhere. Is "smart casual" OK for this cocktail party?

Ours (on the Ryndam) was a very informal event held in the Neptune Lounge, remarkable for a lack of enthusiasm from both the Captain and the Hotel Director. They attended but neither circulated or encouraged conversation. Smart Casual is certainly ok.

Never really saw anyone dressed in formal wear for this event (... we never had it on formal night ... ). Most are smart casual or a bit more. I think you be very comfortable wearing what you might wear for a Pinnacle Grill dinner.

Edited by taxmantoo

We always attend the Suite Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party which is (usually, with few exceptions) held embarkation night. It is smart casual and gents in polo jersey and dockers with ladies in smart slax and top are fine. If you wish to dress more, no reason not to but not many people do.

I always enjoy those gatherings.

The one we attended had the Officers lined up in a reception line with their hands behind their backs; they appeared to be avoiding germs (I thought that was unusual... there were a relativity small group of passengers present). We met a lovely couple that we spent time with on the cruise and have remained in touch with. And smart casual will be perfect!

Edited by K & S
forgot something

The one we attended had the Officers lined up in a reception line with their hands behind their backs; they appeared to be avoiding germs (I thought that was unusual... there were a relativity small group of passengers present). We met a lovely couple that we spent time with on the cruise and have remained in touch with.

Some Captains and Hotel Directors discourage handshakes as a means of trying to prevent spread of Noro like viruses. Handshaking is a major way of infecting.

Some Captains and Hotel Directors discourage handshakes as a means of trying to prevent spread of Noro like viruses. Handshaking is a major way of infecting.

My point exactly...thank you for putting words to the visual:)

Cocktail party with the ship's officers -- usually held the first night of the cruise -- 7:30 - 8 PM. It is the Suite Welcome aboard cocktail party. The place where it is held varies by ship. Sometimes we have had them in the Neptune Lounge, The Crow's Nest, The Mix.

There have been a few exceptions when this party has been held the next day at Noon -- lasts only about 15 minutes -- a sea day.

The first time we were invited to a cocktail party with the ship's officers, DH put on his suit, I wore a dress, heels, etc. We were way over-dressed; in conversation with one of the officers, he asked what time our Pinnacle Grill reservations were. He thought we had a special evening planned because we were so dressed up (at least compared to the others). Lesson learned - smart casual from that point on, and never felt under-dressed. Given the options, however, I'd rather over than under dress.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We always attend the Suite Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party which is (usually, with few exceptions) held embarkation night. It is smart casual and gents in polo jersey and dockers with ladies in smart slax and top are fine. If you wish to dress more, no reason not to but not many people do.

I always enjoy those gatherings.

First, congratulations on your upsell! I experienced my first upsell to a SC aboard the Westerdam in January and it is another major travel memory.

sail7seas answer is the definitive response to your question. When the Suite Cocktail Party is held on the evening of embarkation/sailing, it is not realistic to expect guests to be dressed better than what she described. Unless, of course, they so choose. Sometimes, luggage is delivered sufficently late that to change is just not possible.

By ALL means, be certain to attend this initial event for Neptune Suite guests. When I attended, it was a small gathering, the Captain, Hotel Director, and some of the other senior officers were in attendance and most willing to converse with those of us who wanted to do so. Lots of quality canapes, "formal" nuts on the tables, and the stewards were very attentive to your beverage needs.

Go and enjoy and don't worry about what you are wearing!

Ours on the Westerdam have been held in the Crow's Nest. We wore the same attire as what we'd wear to dinner and were neither over or under dressed. Our party was held on embarkation night which is generally a more casual night for attire.

Is the suites' cocktail party adults only? Or is it acceptable to stop in with my family?

I am NOT asking, by the way, whether its acceptable for my kids to run wild at this function. They know how to act. Just asking if they will be turned away.

Thank yo!

What's the problem with being overdressed? Dress how you feel comfortable, within the sensible minimums. You're on vacation, remember. I wear a suit and tie every day to work and have for years, even though its not a requirement. For me, its comfortable. My SO and I routinely meet for dinner after work and we are both almost always "overdressed" and its never bothered either one of us.

The first time we were invited to a cocktail party with the ship's officers, DH put on his suit, I wore a dress, heels, etc. We were way over-dressed; in conversation with one of the officers, he asked what time our Pinnacle Grill reservations were. He thought we had a special evening planned because we were so dressed up (at least compared to the others). Lesson learned - smart casual from that point on, and never felt under-dressed. Given the options, however, I'd rather over than under dress.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

While I understand the rational, in all of our HAL cruises Capt Scott was the only one who would not shake hands. Did you have others who preferred not to to shake hands?

While I understand the rational' date=' in all of our HAL cruises Capt Scott was the only one who would not shake hands. Did you have others who preferred not to to shake hands?[/quote']

Yes. Captains Mateboer and van Zaane come to mind.

With Code Yellow in effect for the first 48 hours of a cruise it pretty much defeats the purpose if we all start shaking hands with everyone we meet.

Imagine all the germs, viruses we all have been exposed too on our travels to the ship.

Folks may get more serious about healthy preventive medicine if Ebola continues to spread!

An ounce of prevention can make or break a great cruise.

i totally agree we sailed this winter on th Norwegian Getaway and their hygiene was poor and bad quite a difference with H.A.L. For us never again it was their inaugurational trip and so many weak pionts so let us becareful when we are boarding again in Sept

Is the suites' cocktail party adults only? Or is it acceptable to stop in with my family?

I am NOT asking, by the way, whether its acceptable for my kids to run wild at this function. They know how to act. Just asking if they will be turned away.

Thank yo!

How old are the children?

You likely would not want to bring a two year old but depending upon your personal choices, perhaps a ten year old? I am sure the bartender would find them a soft drink. :)

I don't think they would be turned away.