Freedom of the Seas drydock

Tonight is the Top Tier Welcome Back reception and I'll try to ask the question about arrival back in Port Canaveral. I have an early flight out of Orlando, so I have a vested interest in an on time arrival.

On a side note. Navigator of the Seas was supposed to dock in Falmouth yesterday, but couldn't, due to sea state and winds. We were able to dock, even without the Fixipod in operation.

I'm glad all of the Cancellation posts seem to have ceased. There has been absolutely no indication of canceling any future cruises.

Thanks for the info. What part of Ohio are you from if I may ask? Columbus is 10F and 2 fresh inches of snow, hope that helps you enjoy your vacation.

So thus far the port times have only been shortened by about an hour... Great to hear. We would actually be happy if Royal decided to send Freedom to Cococay instead of Labadee for the rest of the Western Caribbean itineraries, provided the fixipod isn't fixed by then. Thanks for the info Barklee! Keep updating us if you can!

We haven't had shortened port calls so far. All aboard time has been 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure. This cruise has an older clientele and we tend to be on board on time or early, so we've been able to depart early.

Given that the generating capacity for the two ships is the same, I would venture a guess that both have the same propulsion units.

Looking at the chart for Falmouth (never having been there), I see that the cruise pier is unprotected from the sea. Depending on the prevailing wind and sea direction and strength, one side of the pier would be a lee, and the other would be open to wind and wave. With the ship lying against a lee pier, there could be excessive movement, causing problems with mooring lines and passenger gangways. This is probably why the two ships could not dock together, more than any difference in handling characteristics. First one there gets the better berth.

Chief, thank you for the explanation. It makes sense, since the prevailing wind was blowing against the east side of the pier. We were docked on the west side. I always enjoy reading your informative posts. I even search the forum for your recent posts from time to time. I always hate it when you head out to sea!

Thanks for the info. What part of Ohio are you from if I may ask? Columbus is 10F and 2 fresh inches of snow, hope that helps you enjoy your vacation.

Hi Bill, I'm from Dayton. I'm not sorry i'm missing the weather. My wife doesn't like cruising, so she's home working this week. Who's the fool now?

So thus far the port times have only been shortened by about an hour... Great to hear. We would actually be happy if Royal decided to send Freedom to Cococay instead of Labadee for the rest of the Western Caribbean itineraries, provided the fixipod isn't fixed by then. Thanks for the info Barklee! Keep updating us if you can!

Where is it showing that the ports are being cut short by and hour? Grated this is with Labadee, but this is our itinerary in 2 weeks.

Port Canaveral, Florida 4:30 PM

16-FebCruising Cruising

17-FebLabadee, Haiti 8:00 AM 4:00 PMDocked

18-FebFalmouth, Jamaica 10:00 AM 7:00 PMDocked

19-FebGeorge Town, Grand Cayman 8:00 AM 4:00 PMTendered

20-FebCozumel, Mexico 10:00 AM 7:00 PMDocked

21-FebCruising Cruising

22-FebPort Canaveral, Florida

Hello! My name is Kevin.

Edited by Cavy92

I am booked on the 2/8/2016 cruise. My husband and I both got a phone call today and this email. Looks like it's the new terminal for FOS. Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with some important information regarding your sailing onboard Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. Please note that check in for your cruise will take place at 9050 Discovery Road Terminal 1, Port Canaveral Florida. This is a new terminal and cannot be located on a GPS or maps program at this time. However, there are signs at the pier will guide you to the correct location, terminal 1. Please note that this address and terminal differs from the address on your Set Sail Pass, which contains incorrect information. The correct address above can also be found in your guest ticket booklet. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

I called the Port C Port Authority to check on what terminal will be used for FR's 2-22-2015 cruise and the woman I spoke to said embarkation and disembarkation (3-1-2015) is at Terminal 1. So we will be getting this email too a few days before our cruise. One big factor, you can see the ships and Terminal 1 is much further down the channel -- past the restaurants -- than Terminal 10. You should see Carnival Liberty at Terminal 10 and can look off toward the Ocean to see our ship. They are pretty easy to spot LOL

I think slightly shortened port times will be helpful in keeping the schedule and getting the ship back to Port C for a timely disembarkation/embarkation on Sundays.

I called the Port C Port Authority to check on what terminal will be used for FR's 2-22-2015 cruise and the woman I spoke to said embarkation and disembarkation (3-1-2015) is at Terminal 1. So we will be getting this email too a few days before our cruise. One big factor, you can see the ships and Terminal 1 is much further down the channel -- past the restaurants -- than Terminal 10. You should see Carnival Liberty at Terminal 10 and can look off toward the Ocean to see our ship. They are pretty easy to spot LOL

I board on 3/1, and my cruise docs show Terminal 1. Of course, I had my docs regenerated a few days ago to reflect my transfer to deck 12, so I'm not sure what everyone else's is showing.

Thank you so much for the info on these changes. They all sound good to me. We go on the Freedom usually twice a year. We are going with a small group on Feb 22. and I set it up, so I feel more confident. Donna

Two things that did not happen per my input. The Cupcake Cupboard did not close and the CL was kept on deck 10. The DL stayed as it was.

We would actually be happy if Royal decided to send Freedom to Cococay instead of Labadee for the rest of the Western Caribbean itineraries, provided the fixipod isn't fixed by then. Thanks for the info Barklee! Keep updating us if you can!

I'm torn on that. I haven't been back to Labadee since the pier went in. But they have scuba diving at Coco Cay and they don't at Labadee, so I would enjoy a beach dive from Coco Cay. I was there in 2013 and they canceled the dive since I was the only one to sign up.

You can definitely see which ship is docked at T1 when you are headed north on A1A. We saw Explorer on Dec 27 in all her glory

Two things that did not happen per my input. The Cupcake Cupboard did not close and the CL was kept on deck 10. The DL stayed as it was.

I looked today and didn't see the Cupcake making class offered as a scheduled online activity. My wife enjoyed it on Allure, but I was going to schedule it again for her on Freedom, but didn't see it.

We would actually be happy if Royal decided to send Freedom to Cococay instead of Labadee for the rest of the Western Caribbean itineraries, provided the fixipod isn't fixed by then. Thanks for the info Barklee! Keep updating us if you can!

I would not be happy! I just booked Freedom for August solely to go to Labadee. I'm not crazy about Falmouth, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel these days, but much prefer Labadee over CocoCay! Plus, its easy enough to get to CocoCay on a weekend cruise if we wanted to go there :p.

Hopefully the problem will be resolved by August, anyways.

For you guys that are going out next week on the Eastern run, would you mind posting what nights they're doing formal night? I need to start the discussions with SWMBO regarding when we're doing Sabor and Chops....

It's usually 2 (Coco Cay) and 6 (sea day) on Eastern routes

We will be on the Eastern run next week. I plan to attend the "Captain's Corner" at the pub. If there is anything noteworthy, I will post.

I have been to Falmouth several times. All the time there have been 2 RCCL ships in port. That is a difficult port for the Captain to dock - they go in backwards with not much clearance.

Bob E

According to marine traffic, the Freedom is currently up to 19.8 knots off the coast of Grand Cayman. Does this mean the problem is fixed already? :)

She does seem to be moving right along, with an ETA of 1415 UTC (0815 Local Cozumel)

FOS1.jpg

Edited by GEARADRIFT

I board on 3/1, and my cruise docs show Terminal 1. Of course, I had my docs regenerated a few days ago to reflect my transfer to deck 12, so I'm not sure what everyone else's is showing.
Ours for 2-22 have always shown Terminal 1 and included directions but our friends docs said Terminal 10. I don't know if they have regenerated them.

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but more likely a benefit of the Gulf Stream.
That could be -- the rest of the ships sailing along with her are in the same range of speed. The most important test is from Cozumel to Port C. As I have posted many times, I only care about FR getting into Port C in a timely manner to avoid embarkation problems. I don't care if we skip ports or have shortened port times.