Freedom of the Seas drydock

Cavy92,

With 80% of the posts on these messageboards consisting of sharing emotions and idle chit chat (e.g., "I'll be on this ship in April. So excited!"), you have to expect some lack of objectivity here. 78 pages on this thread so far. Just imagine how much shorter it would be if everybody stuck to the facts, which is what most people actually come here combing through the posts looking for. :)

It's a community. There is nothing wrong with some banter back and forth. After awhile you sort of feel like you know the regular posters.

It's a community. There is nothing wrong with some banter back and forth. After awhile you sort of feel like you know the regular posters.

Perfectly understandable, and thus expected that there should be some of the same here. I get frustrated sometimes, though, when I'm looking for information in a thread dedicated to some topic and have to wade through page after page of such chatter looking for the information I'm after.

CKRobyn, isn't to you, but I hope better explaining my place.

I wasn't tired of people asking questions, I was tired of rude remarks when questions are asked of someone who does know. Go back on this thread and look at where Barklee gave the info about the propulsion system. He was given a bunch of derogatory remarks and speculation on if his comment was factual when he said there was an issue and the Chief Engineer spoke to him directly. Then when Cheng gave his Maritime input, as he does this for a living, he was replied multiple times negatively, and with that response about the Gulf Stream info made me say enough.

I am with you that this board is a wealth of information, and we would all like a head's up as to the propulsion issue. It appears that multiple things have happened from last fall until now regarding the FOS. Work to be done appears not to have been done. Restaurants that were supposed to be added weren't added. Items that were supposed to be resolved weren't resolved. It's disappointing because I was looking forward to going on a "minty fresh' FOS.

I love these boards. That's why I have been here since 2000. I just don't like when people disrespect an answer given from someone who really a knows the answer and not someone "who heard."

Ask questions and receive answers. It's a learning place and a place to share insight. When I first saw this website I loved it. I have watched it change and morph. I completely understand that with 2-6k people on a ship, someone is bound to have a bad experience. It's the law of averages. I want to here those stories. Negative feedback is extremely valuable. You can't fix a problem if you don't know there is one. We all need to share. I was hoping to see a little more respect to one another than I have in the last week.

I know this won't get "liked x1000" but there are people on this board that agree with statement above.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

I appreciate all that you have to say, but I do question the comment "supposed to be done".

Very few updates were officially mentioned. Just because something happened on another ship does not mean it was supposed to happen on Freedom.

I appreciate all that you have to say, but I do question the comment "supposed to be done".

Very few updates were officially mentioned. Just because something happened on another ship does not mean it was supposed to happen on Freedom.

Izumi is a perfect example. Not because of hear-say, but because people, such as myself, had and did make reservations for that restaurant prior to drydock. Aftrr she came out a week ago the restaurant and reservations were gone. That is one example. Another is that RCCL listed in their press release prior to drydock that the rooms were going to be updated, and after drydock it was discovered that the suites were updated. A lot of the "changes" we're speculation, but when press releases and documentation on my personal reservation show something as available and then they are not, those are "supposed to be done." There are posts within this thread that show someone booked Izumi at the end of March and the reservation was still showing on their cruise planner.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

Edited by Cavy92

Someone needs a Xanax. I value hearing his insight. Notice I said insight, and not opinion. HE is the ONLY one on this thread, last time I checked, that does this for a living.

We, the people on this thread, need to remember we are talking about a vacation.

Vacation - noun -

a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity, usually used for rest, recreation, or travel; recess or holiday:

"Schoolchildren are on vacation now."

Let's try to remember this is time we are all so looking forward to, plan and spend hard-earned money on. Please show respect to others here. Just because some are wound up tighter than a tick, doesn't mean you need to be a catalyst for panic on this thread; or board. Keep it to yourself.

Any comments that someone wants to make about my lack of posts should look at how long I have been on this site. I am just saddened by watching this thread go from excitement to absolute distress, dismay, and utter panic. Let's go back to being excited about our upcoming vacations, and start listening to those who know the difference between a bow-thruster and an azipod.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

And a big thank you....K.O.:)

Terminal 1 having separate doors and an extremely large seating area sounds good. It sounds like they let embarking passengers into the terminal while passengers from the previous cruise are disembrakin. Do they have the security screening there -- that has been a hold up in the past?

Was the vehicle traffic that they had trouble with the busses, shuttles and limos? Did private cars have problems?

Thanks

The contractor that built the terminal said that he wants to get you from the seat of your vehicle to the ship in about 8 1/2 minutes. He is correct, but he forgot to say from the time that you arrive at the terminal area which is another story. We had about a 12-14 minute wait to be dropped off.The bus/shuttle area is a little further to the east and not large and friends of ours used a shuttle and had a 30 minute wait. POV dropoff is under cover (Parking Garage above) and right near the embarkation doors. The vehicle traffic is common to embarkation / disembarkation, but the doors are not. The screening was fast.

Bob E

Izumi is a perfect example. Not because of hear-say, but because people, such as myself, had and did make reservations for that restaurant prior to drydock. Aftrr she came out a week ago the restaurant and reservations were gone. That is one example. Another is that RCCL listed in their press release prior to drydock that the rooms were going to be updated, and after drydock it was discovered that the suites were updated. A lot of the "changes" we're speculation, but when press releases and documentation on my personal reservation show something as available and then they are not, those are "supposed to be done." There are posts within this thread that show someone booked Izumi at the end of March and the reservation was still showing on their cruise planner.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

Maybe I'm argumentative, but I'm still not buying the izumi example. I just blame your issue on a crappy web site. I'm also not sure about the upgrades to cabins, some were upgraded. I blame poor communication from Royal and assumptions by the public.

Welcome to the fray

Very well said :) I agree with you (what's coming next is not meant for you!)......but by the same token, we have folks on this thread who deal with crisis (or perceived crisis) very differently. I'll admit that when it was first reported that Freedom may have propulsion problems again, I had a pang of fear :eek: For me, it was just a pang - for others, it is much more. I have resolved the possibilities in my head, and that is where my "go with the flow" attitude comes from. Not everyone is capable of that. What would make these boards really great, is if we all showed some patience andunderstanding and remembered why they were set up in the first place - to share information, not make people feel bad they even asked the question....

Ditto. Very well said.

I can feel the breeze and smell the salt air. I see the waves and the crystal clear blue water. I am there. Now will someone please get me a margarita...on the rocks no salt.

Maybe I'm argumentative, but I'm still not buying the izumi example. I just blame your issue on a crappy web site. I'm also not sure about the upgrades to cabins, some were upgraded. I blame poor communication from Royal and assumptions by the public.

Welcome to the fray

Don't buy it or not, but Izumi was an option for me. Sabor was, but it wouldn't allow you to book and said it was free.

RCCL is making so much money they still have two more Oasis class ships coming, and no signs of selling off the fleet. They aren't the cheapest, but have found the secret formula. Unfortunately, this one ship won't effect them the way "we would hope" to make them address and respond to the issues. It's just one ship in a mighty fleet. Sadly they are ignoring a ship that has been consistently ranked in the top ten by Cruise Critic with scores just behind Oasis and Allure.

There is a reason why Disney gets high marks across the board, AND can get away with their high prices.

We are just the wake left behind every cruise.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

Ditto. Very well said.

I can feel the breeze and smell the salt air. I see the waves and the crystal clear blue water. I am there. Now will someone please get me a margarita...on the rocks no salt.

I would like a Mango one please...I'll buy.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

To my knowledge, Izumi was never announced. It did seem to appear in some people's Cruise Planner as an option, but we all know how accurate RC's IT department seems to be. It could have been an issue of their's and not a lack of follow-through on a plan. They did say there would be renovated/new cabins throughout the ship and that was completed, subject to interpretation. There are renovated/new cabins throughout the ship. Not all of them, not even many of them, but they do exist on multiple decks, throughout the ship.

Welcome to the fray

Totally agree.

If by "assumptions by the public" the members of the CC community then yes we are all very good at assuming things.

Izumi..a crappy website is actually being very polite. IF they had Izumi listed as coming soon on the main page of ship features then I could understand some frustration but most of us on here have seen too many errors on their website to treat it as gospel.

As far as the rooms go, I don't think that I've ever seen or heard of a ship where every room gets a complete makeover. Repairs and touch ups are done on a room by room basis on an as needed basis. This was quite evident in many of he photos that Drydock Dave posted from the Navigator of them doing touch up painting, upholstery repair and carpet changes to some rooms but not all.

Welcome to the fray

John, I have found you to be a bit argumentative and negative, but in this case, I agree with you. :)

Does anyone know about Sabor? Someone on the 2 day posted pictures and said it was open, but I am unable to find it to book on my cruise calendar. I will be sailing on 2/22 and would love to try it for lunch if it is open. Does anyone know if you can just go in and order a margarita? Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Does anyone know about Sabor? Someone on the 2 day posted pictures and said it was open, but I am unable to find it to book on my cruise calendar. I will be sailing on 2/22 and would love to try it for lunch if it is open. Does anyone know if you can just go in and order a margarita? Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Pretty sure it's ala carte, so you should be able to get a margarita. Another option is the karaoke place outside the ice rink. They have half price margaritas every day

The only reason I brought up the Gulf Stream is that while the ship may make her schedule this time, that would not be a guarantee that it can make the schedule every trip, while the fixipod is out. While the Gulf Stream is pretty much a given, it does vary in exactly where it flows, and how fast, depending on season, weather, etc. Ships will vary their tracks depending on whether the Stream assists or impedes the desired sailing. Just a couple of miles one way or the other can make quite a difference.

Nobody can guarantee anything (except death and taxes, and even death is becoming iffy). Even if the ship left Cozumel at noon nobody could guarantee that will make it to Port Canaveral on time.

The point I was trying to make is, it doesn't matter how the ship makes it on time (as long as the method is legal and safe). If it makes it, great. If not, well, my flight out is at after 5pm, so I have plenty of wiggle room.

There is one port I would truly like to make, but I'm not going to make a big deal about it. The cruise will be what it is. Royal Caribbean is not going to look at this thread and use it to make its decision about any itinerary changes - if any are even needed.

And as long as everyone feels it is okay to post off topic comments on which islands to visit or not visit, then I have as much of a right to state that I don't care how the ship makes it to the scheduled ports on time.

That said, my comment was not meant as a dig against you. I do appreciate your insight and comments. However, those that feel let down because the ship is using a natural event to help move it don't understand that this ALWAYS happens, whether it be a ship, an airplane or a car. All take advantage of a tail wind when available. Taking advantage of a current that is going in the same direction as the ship is going is a smart move by the captain. It did not happen by chance.

I was on the Explorer returning from Aruba. The captain chose a different route then most. He was asked about this at the Captain's Corner. While acknowledging the valid point made by the passenger asking the question, the Captain explained that his choice of routes would save 50 miles or about 2 1/2 hours of cruising time.

I've also been on ships that left port early because everyone was on board. Most likely the captain looked up at the sky, said thank you, and took advantage of the extra time he had to save the cruise line a little money. I didn't hear any complaints from any of the passengers.

So again, I say I don't really care how the ship makes its scheduled port stops on time. If the captain can find a safe legal way to do so, then more power to him.

Edited by Cuizer2

Trust me, I don't take much on these boards personally. I came to CC in the wake of the Triumph fire, hoping to educate cruisers about incidents like that, and the technical aspects of cruise ships. Any one who wants to question my professional opinions is fine with me, heck, even my boss does sometimes :D.

I don't tend to stay on threads that devolve into mud slinging and name calling. This thread is still completely civilized compared to some of the hating that went on the Carnival boards during the Triumph period. I don't have a horse in any cruise line's race, but because I wouldn't jump on the Carnival was grossly negligent and ruined my entire life bandwagon, I was called a cheerleader, etc.

I study this as my hobby. I have all the official reports of all cruise ship (and some cargo ship) incidents from the last few years, and have actually read all of them.

I will sometimes let go at someone (did it just a couple days ago, we've gotten 4 feet of snow in the last two weeks here), but I try to control myself. I appreciate honest dialog and civilized discussion. I also try not to get on my soap box too often, unless one of my hot button topics comes up.

And yes, the cruise lines will always use mother nature to their benefit. If the ship needs to make 20 knots to get to Canaveral, even with 3 pods working, they would use the 2-3 knots of the Stream and save money on fuel by only making turns for 17-18 knots. Lots of folks think cruise ships should be like trains, and have guaranteed schedules, but just like those frustrating airlines, mother nature has a say.

There are pictures post dry dock that show it so it exists, it's just not showing up on the cruise planner. On a different (and lighter IT note), I just received an email from RCL reminding me to make my reservations for Portofino's and Chops on our 3/8 FOS cruise:eek:

There are pictures post dry dock that show it so it exists, it's just not showing up on the cruise planner. On a different (and lighter IT note), I just received an email from RCL reminding me to make my reservations for Portofino's and Chops on our 3/8 FOS cruise:eek:

At least they got the ship and date right.:D