Freedom of the Seas drydock

Ahhh, thanks for clearing that up! CP/PC same initials, different order! ;)

Seems to me either on the Seranade or Explorer we had those delicious roast beast sandwiches :confused:

So many ships, so many choices:rolleyes:;)

They added Park Cafe to the Radiance class during dry docks, so my best guess would be Serenade over Explorer... It just means I especially enjoy my cruises on Radiance class - I love those sandwiches!

The actual area for the spa stayed the same. They added the cabins to the outside of the spa where the jogging track and area for loungers was. All that was eliminated was the view from the spa.

This area on Deck 12 is a popular gathering place for sailaways on the Freedom Class ships with its spaciousness and open-air forward views. Other than the helipad, is there any other similar open-air public space left that will give views over the bow of the ship? There may have been a very small area directly above, but I don't recall for sure.

This area on Deck 12 is a popular gathering place for sailaways on the Freedom Class ships with its spaciousness and open-air forward views. Other than the helipad, is there any other similar open-air public space left that will give views over the bow of the ship? There may have been a very small area directly above, but I don't recall for sure.

I believe you are correct. There are some steps that go to an area above deck 12. On the Indy there is a sign that says St. Tropez with an arrow pointing up at the steps. Should be the same on Freedom. It does not show on the deck plans. It would be over the Spa.

They added Park Cafe to the Radiance class during dry docks, so my best guess would be Serenade over Explorer... It just means I especially enjoy my cruises on Radiance class - I love those sandwiches!

Yes, it's Serenade which has a Park Cafe and it's located inside the Solarium. It was okay, but both times I was there on our 1/10/15 cruise, the roast beef sandwiches were served on regular hamburger buns! It just wasn't the same as the Park Cafe on Oasis!

I believe you are correct. There are some steps that go to an area above deck 12. On the Indy there is a sign that says St. Tropez with an arrow pointing up at the steps. Should be the same on Freedom. It does not show on the deck plans. It would be over the Spa.

On European itineraries the forward deck 13 area, St. Tropez is not only very popular for sail away events, but is also was a spot on Liberty and Indy for topless sunbathing on RCI ships in the Med.

I would hope they do not need to remove the area, but it does not look promising as they have installed cabins in the area on deck 12 where the original stairway is located up to deck 13, St. Tropez it appears.

We enjoyed the dinner menu at Portifino's over Giovanni's, more of a selection and the dessert menu was wonderful

We are really sad that they're replacing Portofino with Giovanni's on Freedom. I finally had a chance to dine at Giovanni's this week on Brilliance. While it was good, we prefer Portofino as well.

On European itineraries the forward deck 13 area, St. Tropez is not only very popular for sail away events, but is also was a spot on Liberty and Indy for topless sunbathing on RCI ships in the Med.

I would hope they do not need to remove the area, but it does not look promising as they have installed cabins in the area on deck 12 where the original stairway is located up to deck 13, St. Tropez it appears.

I don't understand what this "St. Tropez" area is. Can anyone enlighten me?

I don't understand what this "St. Tropez" area is. Can anyone enlighten me?

Freedom class ships have a forward deck 13. While not shown on the RCI website currently, this area is a more private sun deck area that is the highest point on the front of the ship. The area is maintained with lounge chairs and has a structure that can be used for deck parties on occasion. It is only attended by cleaners and deck staff and does not offer bar service.

When searching the web for deck plans, this area can be found. RCI did have it marked on St. Tropez on recent versions of deck plans, but they have been removed. While the area provided great forward views for sail-away it is somewhat secluded reached only by stairways on each side. It is a great viewing area when passing under bridges as it is the highest outside deck on the ship.

The name 'St. Tropez' is used somewhat as a code to indicate an adult area of the ship where on many sailings topless sunbathing is allowed. It is not promoted as such directly by RCI.

It appears on the deck plans that they have added a new set of stairs directly in front of the first cabins on both sides. As the solarium is below I would assume that these stairs are going up.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Here are some pics I have found. You can search on Instagram via hashtag freedomoftheseas and will find a bunch of the dry dock pics. Looks like they did overhaul the hull as asked. Adipods were done in house in Freeport. Look at KIGGISS stream as it appears all he does is dry dock work in Freeport. ImageUploadedByForums1422122283.031796.jpg.ced01eed67df403596c97508f9447fbd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ImageUploadedByForums1422122196.578519.jpg.41e1b713df5368c4b62a4ce5e77fc5ee.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1422122210.441927.jpg.152587dbe6ea4fe0b58fede55f857562.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1422122224.226460.jpg.5b71243ea568176ba306b3b0db2027cb.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1422122236.746418.jpg.48f4c84c8e93520f5fc112f6cb72d173.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1422122250.645571.jpg.c542282a4331db2f3ded8dd53e787796.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1422122266.816317.jpg.897ab2fe19ca95e0ee94ad497045891d.jpg

Here are some pics I have found. You can search on Instagram via hashtag freedomoftheseas and will find a bunch of the dry dock pics. Looks like they did overhaul the hull as asked. Adipods were done in house in Freeport. Look at KIGGISS stream as it appears all he does is dry dock work in Freeport. [ATTACH]337882[/ATTACH][ATTACH]337883[/ATTACH][ATTACH]337884[/ATTACH][ATTACH]337885[/ATTACH][ATTACH]337886[/ATTACH][ATTACH]337887[/ATTACH][ATTACH]337888[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info!

Freedom class ships have a forward deck 13. While not shown on the RCI website currently, this area is a more private sun deck area that is the highest point on the front of the ship. The area is maintained with lounge chairs and has a structure that can be used for deck parties on occasion. It is only attended by cleaners and deck staff and does not offer bar service.

When searching the web for deck plans, this area can be found. RCI did have it marked on St. Tropez on recent versions of deck plans, but they have been removed. While the area provided great forward views for sail-away it is somewhat secluded reached only by stairways on each side. It is a great viewing area when passing under bridges as it is the highest outside deck on the ship.

The name 'St. Tropez' is used somewhat as a code to indicate an adult area of the ship where on many sailings topless sunbathing is allowed. It is not promoted as such directly by RCI.

Thanks for filling me in!

We are really sad that they're replacing Portofino with Giovanni's on Freedom. I finally had a chance to dine at Giovanni's this week on Brilliance. While it was good, we prefer Portofino as well.

We liked Portofino as well.

Edited by Folk Singer

Seeing as they are overhauling the Azipods on the Freedom, can anyone speculate as to whether will they be doing a test run before the 28th to make sure everything is working correctly?

That will be done on the trip between the dry dock and Port Canaveral.

We did a Gurantee Cabin on the March 8th sailing and were assigned one of the new balcony cabins up on deck 12. Can't wait to see the view from up there. I will miss the views from the Elliptical Machines and Treadmills in the Gym overlooking the ocean....it appears to be all closed in now, but will check it out when we get onboard.

We did a Gurantee Cabin on the March 8th sailing and were assigned one of the new balcony cabins up on deck 12. Can't wait to see the view from up there. I will miss the views from the Elliptical Machines and Treadmills in the Gym overlooking the ocean....it appears to be all closed in now, but will check it out when we get onboard.

I believe the gym still has ocean views. It's the spa that was closed in.