Freedom of the Seas drydock

What will happen if there is still a problem?

It depends on how big the problem is. Both the Enchantment OTS (February/March 2012) and the Explorer OTS (2014 and 2015) kept running after suffering propulsion problems.

The Enchantment was fixed during an extended stay in Port Canaveral during the third cruise after the problem developed. The people on that cruise where the problem developed lost one day of the cruise and received a full refund. The people on the next cruise lost no days, missed one port (Labadee) had an extended stay at many of the other ports and received a large OBC. I don't know what the people on the third cruise received. After that the ship was fixed. Here is a link to a live from thread while the Enchantment was having its problems ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1583157

The Explorer had some sort of engine trouble I believe in the summer of 2014. I don't know if it resulted in any schedule changes. I know that it did not change the schedule of the repo cruise. The Explorer is still cruising and per the captain, will be fixed when in dry dock (later this year). In fact, the Explorer not only kept going after the propulsion problems, it even survived a rouge wave that KOed two of its lifeboats (after the dry dock the Explorer will be renamed Energizer Bunny of the Seas) ...

DE_zpsa0b956a0.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

It depends on how big the problem is. Both the Enchantment OTS (February/March 2012) and the Explorer OTS (2014 and 2015) kept running.

The Enchantment was fixed during an extended stay in Port Canaveral during the third cruise after the problem developed. The people on that cruise lost one day and received a full refund. The people on the next cruise lost no days, missed one port (Labadee) had an extended stay at many of the other ports and received a large OBC. I don't know what the people on the third cruise received. After that the ship was fixed.

The Explorer had some sort of engine trouble I believe in the summer of 2014. I don't know if it resulted in any schedule changes. I know that it did not change the schedule of the repo cruise. The Explorer is still cruising and per the captain, will be fixed when in dry dock (later this year).

EX has the fixed Azipod removed like FR did. It can't sail at its maximum speed, which is led to to some late arrivals.

I think he means fixed as in non-azimuthing, not as in repaired.

Fixed=stationary not as in

Fixed=repaired

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To use the correct terminology, the center propulsion unit on these ships is a "Fixipod", not an "Azipod", since they do not azimuth (rotate).

The fixipods were not removed, just the propeller blades from them to reduce drag.

To answer another question, yes, there will be a "sea trial" after leaving the shipyard, where they will test the propulsion systems. If all is okay, they may either proceed directly to the home port for embarkation, or they will return to a dock to load out stores that were landed for docking. If something doesn't work properly, as another poster said, it all depends on how bad it is. The classification society (insurance underwriter) and flag state will have a say in whether the ship can proceed, or needs to go back for repairs. This is similar to Quantum, which came out of the builder's yard, did sea trials in the North Sea, found that the thrusters had a problem, and had to drydock again in Hamburg. It happens, but not often.

Edited by chengkp75

You quoted yourself just so we would know you posted using your phone? :confused:

No, I accidentally hit the "quote" button instead of the "edit" button. Sorry!

I think he means fixed as in non-azimuthing, not as in repaired.

Then it is a fixipod, since a fixed (as in non-rotating) and azipod (short for azimuth) is an oxymoron (sort of like jumbo shrimp).

Edited by Cuizer2

To use the correct terminology, the center propulsion unit on these ships is a "Fixipod", not an "Azipod", since they do not azimuth (rotate).

The fixipods were not removed, just the propeller blades from them to reduce drag.

I knew that, but was trying to keep from muddying the water with more terms. Most people know what an Azipod refers to, so was just easier rather than trying to confuse the situation.

I'm wondering if the pods are being overhauled or actually replaced. I received an email saying that she is getting "new Azipod propulsion units" as second hand info from my TA. Being in a mechanical trade, I can read this one of 4 ways--

1) the propulsion units are being replaced with brand new off the shelf units. Though this seems way too expensive.

2) the current units are being repaired in place as needed

3) the current units are being removed and being completely overhauled, and reinstalled--possibly not going to happen either due to time limitations.

4) and this being the most likely option--that remanufactured pods have been shipped in and swapped out with the current ones, to allow rebuilding of Freedom's original pods at a later time when time is not so much an issue.

Then it is a fixipod, since a fixed (as in non-rotating) and azipod (short for azimuth) is an oxymoron (sort of like jumbo shrimp).

Correct. Oxymoron very similar to "government intelligence."

Edited by A2Mich

I knew that, but was trying to keep from muddying the water with more terms. Most people know what an Azipod refers to, so was just easier rather than trying to confuse the situation.

I'm wondering if the pods are being overhauled or actually replaced. I received an email saying that she is getting "new Azipod propulsion units" as second hand info from my TA. Being in a mechanical trade, I can read this one of 4 ways--

1) the propulsion units are being replaced with brand new off the shelf units. Though this seems way too expensive.

2) the current units are being repaired in place as needed

3) the current units are being removed and being completely overhauled, and reinstalled--possibly not going to happen either due to time limitations.

4) and this being the most likely option--that remanufactured pods have been shipped in and swapped out with the current ones, to allow rebuilding of Freedom's original pods at a later time when time is not so much an issue.

The only part of the pods that get overhauled in the shipyard, unless the ship is older (and no podded ships have reached the age where the azimuth bearings need replacing) are the thrust bearing, the shaft radial bearing, and the shaft seal. These come pretty much as an assembly (except the radial bearing), that bolts to the motor housing. Either RCCL or ABB have reconditioned assemblies so that there will be three waiting when the ship gets to the yard. They pull the propeller, and the thrust bearing/seal unit, the fairwater cap (opposite to the propeller, and then the radial (roller) bearing. Once the reconditioned units are installed, the old units go back to the manufacturer for rebuilding, and waiting on the next ship to drydock. The Allure (I think?) had a pod repaired in Freeport, that required cofferdams around the pods since the dock could not lift the ship completely out of the water, and they did at least two of three in 8-9 days.

The only part of the pods that get overhauled in the shipyard, unless the ship is older (and no podded ships have reached the age where the azimuth bearings need replacing) are the thrust bearing, the shaft radial bearing, and the shaft seal. These come pretty much as an assembly (except the radial bearing), that bolts to the motor housing. Either RCCL or ABB have reconditioned assemblies so that there will be three waiting when the ship gets to the yard. They pull the propeller, and the thrust bearing/seal unit, the fairwater cap (opposite to the propeller, and then the radial (roller) bearing. Once the reconditioned units are installed, the old units go back to the manufacturer for rebuilding, and waiting on the next ship to drydock. The Allure (I think?) had a pod repaired in Freeport, that required cofferdams around the pods since the dock could not lift the ship completely out of the water, and they did at least two of three in 8-9 days.

Thanks for that. I figured it would likely be a swap out with rebuilt units. Would likely be too costly and time consuming to rebuild on site (not to mention might require engineers/mechanics from ABB to do the work), and the cost of brand new/never used pods would be prohibitive.

The wording from RCI about FOS getting "new pods" was probably deliberately ambiguous and open for interpretation. As long as they are all working after the drydock!

Thanks for that. I figured it would likely be a swap out with rebuilt units. Would likely be too costly and time consuming to rebuild on site (not to mention might require engineers/mechanics from ABB to do the work), and the cost of brand new/never used pods would be prohibitive.

The wording from RCI about FOS getting "new pods" was probably deliberately ambiguous and open for interpretation. As long as they are all working after the drydock!

This ship has been having problems for years so I would not rule out this being a full replacement. We sailed Freedom in August 2013 and it was having problems then. They were leaving late from Port Canaveral on the western itinerary for months prior to our sailing as they were working on the original problem back then.

This was a long planned drydock to finally repair the problem, not an emergency scheduled repair.

This ship has been having problems for years so I would not rule out this being a full replacement. We sailed Freedom in August 2013 and it was having problems then. They were leaving late from Port Canaveral on the western itinerary for months prior to our sailing as they were working on the original problem back then.

This was a long planned drydock to finally repair the problem, not an emergency scheduled repair.

I don't doubt they're at least swapping out the pods, I was just curious as to whether they would use remanufactured units or brand new units. Doesn't really matter either way--I was just curious one way or the other.

1) the propulsion units are being replaced with brand new off the shelf units.

That would have to be a really big and strong shelf. Hopefully it is attached to a framing member and not just screwed into the drywall.

I don't doubt they're at least swapping out the pods, I was just curious as to whether they would use remanufactured units or brand new units. Doesn't really matter either way--I was just curious one way or the other.

I can just about guarantee that it isn't a complete replacement of the pods. There is only so much that needs maintenance, and the prime problem with azipods (and fixipods) since they were introduced has been with the thrust bearing. This is being addressed through better mechanical design and better metallurgy in the bearings. Unless the shaft seal failed catastrophically, and flooded the motor windings, they can last for 20+ years, with only some cleaning during drydock. This drydock is not just about repairing the pods, it was scheduled long ago, based on the date the ship was built, and comes about every 5 years. They only build so many pod housings depending on how many ships are being built. Unless a ship rips one off, there is no need to build a "spare" azipod.

And there will be an ABB tech rep on site. The cruise lines will almost always have reps for the propulsion, thrusters, steering, stabilizers, switchgear, elevators, and navigational equipment, just to name a few, on site for every drydocking. These tech reps or service engineers will either bring their own crew to do the work, or the yard will provide the skilled workers to work under the tech reps direction. This is required by the class societies to ensure that the work is done to manufacturer's specifications, and will last as the manufacturer warrants.

Maybe Drydock Dave will pop up and tell us what is really being done. He was supposed to be working this drydock but I don't think he or his wife have posted since the ship went into drydock. Until then, speculation will reign.

That would have to be a really big and strong shelf. Hopefully it is attached to a framing member and not just screwed into the drywall.

Lol. Nope. Screwed into the drywall with no anchors.

When we were spending a full port day in Nassau as the four blades of the fixipod were being removed from the Freedom, the Captain said the blades were coming off so no additional damage would happen to the pod.

Last week when we were on the Explorer on the 9 day Southern Caribbean cruise, the ship was on time or ahead of schedule and sometimes was going 21.5 knots. We even left a little late from Labadee due to a med evac.

Bob E

We did a Gurantee Cabin on the March 8th sailing and were assigned one of the new balcony cabins up on deck 12. Can't wait to see the view from up there. I will miss the views from the Elliptical Machines and Treadmills in the Gym overlooking the ocean....it appears to be all closed in now, but will check it out when we get onboard.

Coochuck, come on over to our March 8th roll call!! You'll meet one of your neighbors who got the last balcony cabin on deck 12!!

Maybe Drydock Dave will pop up and tell us what is really being done. He was supposed to be working this drydock but I don't think he or his wife have posted since the ship went into drydock. Until then, speculation will reign.

I think Chief Engineer KP75 knows what he's talking about here!

I too am so disappointed that Drydock Dave and Aimee haven't been able to post to us this Drydock. I just hope they are both OK. I haven't seen a post from Aimee since around Thanksgiving.

Thanks for your explanations ChengKP75!!!!