How do these people get so good at surfing on the Flowrider?

I think some people are just naturally good at it. My husband wanted to surf the Flowrider, took lessons on each cruise, and never was able to stand up on the board very long. He finally quit because he was afraid he was going to mess up his neck for life after falling so many times. Some people have a knack for it and some don't.

I was amazed at I guy we know Andrew, on a cruise we did a few months back we saw on the flow rider and he was amazing....I mean better then the instructors. He even has his own board...

I am 48 and never tried it (fear of breaking something) and he is older then me by a bit but seeing him on the board...it looked like he was a teenager...he was doing spins and stuff...very cool!

I think with him its all time spent on cruises, he is a Pinnacle Club member.

We are on the Oasis in September for the TA...who know I might try it...:eek:

I was amazed at I guy we know Andrew, on a cruise we did a few months back we saw on the flow rider and he was amazing....I mean better then the instructors. He even has his own board...

I am 48 and never tried it (fear of breaking something) and he is older then me by a bit but seeing him on the board...it looked like he was a teenager...he was doing spins and stuff...very cool!

It is great fun....I don't get a chance to do it any other time, than when cruising....but it is fun. Boogie board riding is done at plenty of beaches, but it isn't something that I do at the beach. So for me it is a cruise activity and at 63, I may not do all the tricks like standing up....but still have a great time at it.

I believe your fear of breaking something is greater than the likelihood of actually breaking something or even twisting something. It is just great fun.

Last year on Oasis our MDR table mates did flowrider every night after dinner. They had taken a couple of lessons when they first got onboard. She was in her late 30's and he was in his mid 50's and both were great. One night my sister and I went up to watch them. I would never try it but it was fun to watch. At night they have one side that's adults only and one side that's just kids.

Are there many Flowrider centers in the US? These people who seem to be as good as the instructors must be able to practice on shore somewhere. Or do they take a ton of cruises and get good that way?

My 6 and 9 year old boys have tried it at Hershey Park and H20 Zone, both inPennsylvania. I am sure there are many other watermarks throughout the country offering this as well.

My boys are pretty good, me, I just take the pics!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I noticed that the first few days of the cruise not many people were on the flow rider. As a result those who were there could practice - a LOT. It is relatively easy to learn quick. My father - who is almost 70 years old and as physically fit as a water buffalo - was able to hold his own after only a couple tries. He cannot wait for our next cruise because he wants to practice! So basically get there early and practice. By the end of the cruise you'll be doing tricks.

Our good friend Andrew practised on all those sea days on the numerous Transatlantics he

took on Liberty and Independence plus all the B2B2B cruises he did and still does out of Fort lauderdale. Not bad for a guy who doesn't live near an ocean. :)

We were on Oasis with him and his friend Pez who can do stand up playing a harmonica and holding a cocktail. I have a picture to prove it!

Our good friend Andrew practised on all those sea days on the numerous Transatlantics he

took on Liberty and Independence plus all the B2B2B cruises he did and still does out of Fort lauderdale. Not bad for a guy who doesn't live near an ocean. :)

We were on Oasis with him and his friend Pez who can do stand up playing a harmonica and holding a cocktail. I have a picture to prove it!

We saw Pez on Indy in February and he was great!

That's probably me that you are talking about! I am 64. It did take a lot of practice and it is a lot of fun. However, you can seriously hurt yourself.

I will also be on the Oasis transatlantic so am happy to give you some tips.

Andrew

My boys love the flowrider and my older son only does stand up now. He's up on the flowrider each day as soon as it opens and spends most of the day there, stopping only to eat and use the facilities. And now, thanks to Lauren (Liberiben) we have our own Waveloch board for them to use the end of August on our Freedom cruise!!!

We have no where really close for stand up in our area...most of the places within driving distance allow boogie boarding only. There is one place down in Wildwood on the Jersey shore but at this time of year, I won't drive down there, so maybe in the early fall we'll see if we can get there.

I didn't think Hershey or the other water parks allowed stand up. If anyone within about 3 hours of northwest Jersey has a place that does allow it (Sahara Sam's in Medford stopped allowing it), please let me know.

That's probably me that you are talking about! I am 64. It did take a lot of practice and it is a lot of fun. However, you can seriously hurt yourself.

I will also be on the Oasis transatlantic so am happy to give you some tips.

Andrew

Doing the Westbound later and planning on bringing a shortie wetsuit for warmth and to cushion the landings.

Are there many Flowrider centers in the US? These people who seem to be as good as the instructors must be able to practice on shore somewhere. Or do they take a ton of cruises and get good that way?

We just practice a lot, I hope you've enjoyed the show. I'll be performing next week on the Allure, please stop by and say hello. I'll be the good looking guy in the Speedo in the line for the Flowrider.l

My DH was just naturally good at that kind of activity. With that said, he skis (water and snow) and wake boards a lot at home. I am sure these activities helped him. I on the other hand fell almost immediately every time I tried to use the thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My DH was just naturally good at that kind of activity. With that said, he skis (water and snow) and wake boards a lot at home. I am sure these activities helped him.

^^ I am very similar. I used to do flatland BMX (tricks on a 20 inch bike) so I always had good balance. I have only used the Flowrider on cruises and once while at a waterpark in Orlando. I took a private lesson and recommend that mainly for being able to be on the water more.

This is something where more time on the water = improvement.

It is a real shame that RCL doesn't allow us to hardly do any tricks anymore.

I will just add that the Flowrider first came out on Freedom back around 2006 I think it was. I've known a few people cruise one or more times a year and only cruise on ships with Flowriders. Now that there are 6 of those if my count is correct, that makes it a little easier to become good only through RC.