Will a 21 year old hate it ?

Mrs Miggins

Have just booked an October cruise on Riviera - Istanbul to Athens. This is a good itinerary even though we have been to all the ports except Istanbul and Karella. Problem is that my 21 year old has decided to join us (at our expense!) and we will be squashed into a Veranda Stateroom. Her last cruise on on RCCL Independence of the Seas which she loved and we didn't. Since then we have cruised on Azamara x 3 and Star Clippers and we loved them.

This is our first Oceania cruise - does anyone have any experience of this age group on board ?

Also has anyone ever negotiated an upgrade at the dockside or onboard ? She wants her own cabin but that is way too expensive at the moment !

Never heard of a "dockside negotiation" on O - especially for a 1st time customer (my guess).

I think you will feel cramped, again, just IMHO.

Your 21 year old - it depends on her. What did she like on RCCL? O is very different. Not much nightlife. Not many folks in their 20s.

Good luck.

I have only seen upsells, not upgrades happen before the trip as emails coming from the revenue dept. With the couch open the cabin will seem cramped IMO. On sea days there is not a lot of organized activities. At night the ship was dead. On the two trips I took the average age was mine, 67, and up. I think it depends on the ports or if her fun is eating.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

The itinerary you have booked is usually very port intensive (port stops every day). This should keep all of you active during the day and you will likely be tired after dinner (as will other passengers). There are always a few people that stay up late in the lounges. It really depends upon whether or not she can be comfortable around people much older than she is as it is unlikely that there will be anyone else her age there (except for the dancers -- they can be fun to hang out with and are her age). She also needs to be comfortable without her cell phone and internet (although internet cafes are very reasonable in some ports.).

Some young people do well in this environment while other are bored silly. Give her the cold hard facts and see what she thinks.

map-lg-RVA141022.jpg

Let's face it, on a 7 day port intensive cruise such as yours, your daughter would not have much of an opportunity for nightlife even if she were sailing on the Explorer of the Seas.

o-staterooms-3d-a1.jpg

It's true that the room will be small for three, but as you are immediate family, the cruise will probably be over before any serious issues break out.

LOL -the three of you already know when to say something and when to look away.

o-staterooms-3d-ph3.jpg

For a longer cruise, I'd be a big proponent of upgrading to at least a Penthouse where the square footage would be less stressful; but for this length voyage, I say "let it ride...."

It will depend on the 21 yr old & how she interacts with older people

There may or may not be people her age onboard

If you need more space I would ask now for an upsell or a change in cabin Cat

PH maybe be a better choice

We have seen younger people onboard & they seemed to be enjoying themselves

Enjoy

Lyn

My daughter would love it! She would hate any RCCL.

I took her on an Azamara when she was 18 and she fit right in.

She likes to be active/port intensive. She likes quiet, and to read. Doesn't like noise or crowds.

Goes to bed early (between 9-10).

She is 23 now, and would find O just perfect.

I guess the concern I have is a selfish one. I love my children tremendously, but if I were planning a cruise with my husband and my 21 year old daughter wanted to come along and we could not provide her with her own cabin (even an interior one), I might be a little resentful of the imposition on our private time. I know it is a port intensive cruise, but you mentioned the veranda, and there are sunsets and cocktails...

On the other hand, my daughter (now a little older as she is our eldest), would have loved the cruise. If your daughter is sociable and loves to travel, eat and drink, and you don't mind sharing the cabin, then I would consider it. If she is attached to her phone 24/7 texting and tweeting and doesn't ever look up, then maybe not!

Thank you all so much for your replies. My daughter is spending the summer as a Nanny in a resort in Greece. She shares her staff accommodation and has spent the summer working. learning to sail, waterski, windsurf and partying hard.

As a couple (we were both 70 this year) we have been fortunate enough to have had three vacations this year, Royal Clipper, visiting Charlotte, and visiting friends in Spain. Therefore it will be lovely to have her to ourselves for a week even if she is in the company of 'old farts'.

I hope that we will meet some sociable and funny fellow passengers We have always managed to find some great fellow cruisers.

The cost of a penthouse is prohibitive and a single inside cabin would cost 4000 USD as against 1600 USD (inc flights, premier drinks package, and tips) to share with us. I think this large cost difference could probably be used to subsidise the two months she is at home, before she goes to France for the ski season.

All the above is of course my attempt to talk myself into believing it will be OK!

In a word , given the accommodations you describe, yes. She will hate it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree. For it may be as you have said OK but for her not so much.

It will be a lot of togetherness if you can't swing an up-sell to a PH as recommended above.

Our daughters enjoyed that itinerary at about the same age, with three of them in one similar Regent suite and once with one of them in our suite, which is endurable (Regent suites are significantly larger than the Riviera's verandah suites--get a Penthouse Suite if you can, or get her an inside cabin).

She will be fine if you introduce her to the Spa (extra, but worth it! spring for some treatments if you don't have to upgrade or get her a cabin), pool deck (on sea days she will enjoy reading on deck and periodically going in the pool or jacuzzi), Waves, exercise room, art room, kitchen cooking classes, espresso bar, 18-hole putting course, trivia, movies, shows, library, afternoon tea, other daily activities, etc. It is a spectacular ship.

Edited by JPR

Have just booked an October cruise on Riviera - Istanbul to Athens. This is a good itinerary even though we have been to all the ports except Istanbul and Karella. Problem is that my 21 year old has decided to join us (at our expense!) and we will be squashed into a Veranda Stateroom. Her last cruise on on RCCL Independence of the Seas which she loved and we didn't. Since then we have cruised on Azamara x 3 and Star Clippers and we loved them.

This is our first Oceania cruise - does anyone have any experience of this age group on board ?

Also has anyone ever negotiated an upgrade at the dockside or onboard ? She wants her own cabin but that is way too expensive at the moment !

that she purchase her own There is no way you will be able to fit three into a stateroom unless you have one of the upper LARGE suite categories! Buck up and tell her when she can afford to pay her way, then she can join you. Granted, I'm being a tough cookie, but that is how I brought my children up. There is 'no free lunch' even if they would like to think there was. And, know what? Now that they are all plus 50, they appreciate my being intransigent on GIVING what they had not worked for on their own. They grew up fully independent and self-supporting.

From a proud mother of independent

children,

Donna

Edited by George'sGal

I would have loved Oceania as a 21 year old and hated the megaships. I had pretty much the same interests then as I do now.

But I also wouldn't have liked being squeezed into a regular veranda cabin, and I'm sure my parents would have liked it even less.

Yes, for seven days maybe you can manage ... then again ...

You have seen lots of differing opinions here and you know yourselves better than we do, so you have to make the decision.

I understand the financial problems, but I agree that getting her an inside cabin (assuming one is available, which may well not be the case) would be the best course. I would have preferred that at 21 when given a choice of an inside cabin or sharing with Mom and Dad. Even if we'd been in the owner's suite, I don't know that I'd have been happy sharing with them!

JMO.

Mura

I think it's lovely that your 21 year old wants to join you on your holiday. You obviously all get on together, she's used to sharing accommodation, and you're looking forward to spending some quality time with her.

Yes, it will be a squash in the cabin, but we've gone sailing in Greece with a couple of friends and the whole boat wasn't as big as a verandah stateroom on Riviera. With one person on the balcony, one in the bath with a good book and one in the stateroom with a G&T you'll be spoiled for space :) . Also,the sofa bed will be folded up during the day.

Hopefully she'll run into a kindred spirit or two around the ship but I expect you'll find lots to talk about and JPR has made some good suggestions for activities. Sounds like her last cruise was a while ago if you've done several since so she's probably a bit more mature now :), and if she's been Nannying all summer she might be glad of some peace and quiet.

Enjoy your cruise!

I was on a 20 day cruise on Marina and frequently met a man in the steam rooms/saunas/showers - he was travelling with his wife and daughter in one cabin and he used the facilities in the sauna area rather than fight for limited time/space in the cabin bathroom.

I think his solution defused a lot of potential tension.

And as many have said, seven days is not that long, so as long as everyone is flexible and understanding you should not have any problems.

It totally depends on your daughter. I went on cruises with my parents (Star Clipper, Oceania, Celebrity) and loved every minute. I have been on several cruises (all with O) without my parents now. It's the best way to see the world. I'm more in to culture, food and company than in to the disco in Horizons.

Thanks to all. We have booked cabin 8000 after using the search facility and reading the input by the wonderful S&J. We are new to this board but I think they appear to know everything.

This will give us a view that we have not had before and perhaps the kind people in the suites next door will invite my daughter in when she has had enough of us! Or of course they may throw the odd canapé over the dividing wall!

I don't think that is right. We have certainly booked. If you study the deck plans the the cabins that can accommodate a third person are noted with a star. Not sure in what way they are different from the the other cabins - Perhaps all it is is that the sofa has a bed mechanism inside and in the other cabins they are just regular sofa's ?

S & J will know !

For what it is worth: It will be an extraordinary opportunity for time with your young adult -- never again possibly will you have her "to yourselves". Once serious partner and kids -- it is not bad but it is very different. If you don't grab the opportunity now -- never again. Will you be crowded -- yes! but so what? 7 days and most of that time the ports and activities ashore will take your time and energy. Rule 1 : Everybody manages themselves and you can make your own choices "here is what we are doing: what are you doing?" treat her as the adult she is. (when we did this with our then 21 year old she was a PhD candidate in neurochemistry and she needed time to study each day for oral exams, so she just found nooks and corners to be by herself. Amused everyone who saw this very young looking girl with the huge chemistry books and seriously large computer on the coffee table. ) Rule 2: Consideration for others. Obviously if she comes in late don't turn on the light and bang around. If she has lived with others in cramped quarters she knows the drill and if not Discuss or Ignore as called for but either handle it or drop it. Rule 3 Share the space: Each person gets their share and no more shelves/drawers/hangers/bathroom time. Rule 4: Speak up -- you are 3 adults and should be able to say things diplomatically but with precision. ATTITUDE IS MIND OVER MATTER. IF YOU DON'T MIND IT DON'T MATTER and your reward is a wonderful memory filled time to savor when you can't go out making new memories.

WARNING: Daughter will think and probably tell you that you both snore loudly and that will be why this is probably a once in a lifetime chance:p When adult children come home with spouses and babies it is wonderful but never in your cabin!!!:eek::D

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Yes, for privacy reasons I strongly recommend that your husband use the wonderful Spa to shower (cave-like showers with different water pressure and lighting!). Fantastic large sauna and steam room. He's become addicted. I do it almost every night before dinner and there are just the two of us! My wife loves the privacy. I bring my clothes for dinner and change there. Extremely relaxing, no need for a martini, and sweats off a few calories (much more if I exercise in the gym first).

Re the snoring issue, bring a container of earplugs for everyone to use! Plus eyemasks in case your daughter wants to watch TV after you go to sleep...