Snacks~Do you pack some?

DO NOT TAKE FRUIT OFF THE SHIP!

Every port we've been to they've inspected our bags, or worse. The cute Golden sits next to you.

Don't want the cute dog sitting next to you. Because the cute dog has a handler that will go thru your bags looking for your bananas, oranges, grapes etc.

Only commercially prepared prepackaged stuff off the ship.

Off my soapbox.

But it's to protect the agriculture. In the 90s SoCal was infested with the Mediterranean Fruit Fly. At the time the only way to get rid of them was multiple sprayings of Malathion with crop dusters.

Got really good at wrapping the swing set.

FWIW we travel with food restrictions and haven't had problems ashore. We bring some hard candies, cheese and crackers and cereal boxes ashore.

We've been stuck at boarding for over 6 hours, now we bring something with us.

I've been on many cruises and have never had my bag inspected getting off the ship in ports. Now getting back on is a different story.

Also I have never seen a dog on a cruise ship sniffing bags as passengers got off the ship in port.

I am bewildered about the notion of bringing your own food. Surely there is no problem on the boat regarding access to food. Besides, there isn't any harm with a grumbling tummy for an hour or two.

On shore, surely people want to sample the local fare? Isn't that one of the points of going on holiday? If going to a less affluent area, it's courteous to put some money into the local economy (not just €1 for a fridge magnet).

On a short cruise (7 days or less), I wouldn't bring snacks. But I will be on the Legend to Australia in a month, and then 5 days in Sydney, so I may bring some nuts or spicy trail mix. I am one that has a few small meals a day, though breakfast is my biggest meal.

But I do love having a salty snack if I'm having a cocktail in my room. I would much rather have a handful of nuts, than grab a handful of cookies.

As others have said, yes there's plenty to eat on the ship, but it's not always the best choices. If I want to bring snacks, I will bring snacks. No one is the boss of me. LOL

I've been on many cruises and have never had my bag inspected getting off the ship in ports. Now getting back on is a different story.

Also I have never seen a dog on a cruise ship sniffing bags as passengers got off the ship in port.

Obviously we sail different ports :)

Fact is don't bring off fresh food. I've had bugs crawl out of asparagus on Princess.

Unwelcome pests have wrecked havoc on local ecosystems.

Right now California is fighting against the Asian Psylliad. Its attacking citrus. Near as the Vector Control people can figure out it arrived by ship.

Obviously we sail different ports :)

Fact is don't bring off fresh food. I've had bugs crawl out of asparagus on Princess.

Unwelcome pests have wrecked havoc on local ecosystems.

Right now California is fighting against the Asian Psylliad. Its attacking citrus. Near as the Vector Control people can figure out it arrived by ship.

Marie, if you ever visit California, be aware that your bags will be checked, whether you come via car, plane, whatever. The agriculture industry is very important to this state's economy and as Sadie has said, any of us who have lived through the 80s and 90s in Southern California has been here during strong pest control measures for the Medfly and other infestations.

I've been on cruises where there were notices in the ship's newsletter not to bring food off the ship. Some people will claim that it's just a ploy to make ship passengers eat in the local restaurants, but it really is about respecting the ecosystems of the ports.

Fruit is a major way that bugs (many that you can't even see when they're in the larvae stage) stowaway.

As for those who do take prepackaged, factory seal and unopened items off the ship, sometimes it's for health reasons (to control blood sugar or because of allergies -- if you have a severe allergy as noted above, you can't depend on food servers to be aware of the seriousness of even cross contamination).

Usually we don't get on excursions at all, but a few cruises ago I was on an all-day tour and lunch was included. I was thinking we would just stop at a local eatery but instead the guide/driver stopped at a park and took out a cooler filled of pre-made sandwiches that he had picked up at a deli before he had picked us up. Unfortunately, the condiments (that I can't eat) were already spread in the sandwiches. That was one time that I had wished I had packed a couple of Power Bars. Needless to say, when we got back on the ship, I immediately headed to the buffet to grab some food.

At least on our last cruise, again, an all-day excursion (and I had packed a couple of sealed bars). When the guide said she was taking our lunch orders now so that she can call it in to the diner we were stopping at (this was the diner featured in the movie "The Descendants" where George Clooney was talking with Beau Bridges) later on, I asked if we can request our items plain. She said all condiments are on the side, no problem. Which they were.

I am bewildered about the notion of bringing your own food. Surely there is no problem on the boat regarding access to food. Besides, there isn't any harm with a grumbling tummy for an hour or two.

On shore, surely people want to sample the local fare? Isn't that one of the points of going on holiday? If going to a less affluent area, it's courteous to put some money into the local economy (not just €1 for a fridge magnet).

Of course there is plenty of food, just not always what I want for a quick snack--something sweet, like one chocolate kiss, or salty like nuts or chips. Also, i don't always want to go to a food venue or order room service. Some cravings just need a quick fix--not a big amount, just a bit. I might not feel like going up to the buffet and probably eating way too much as a snack, but enjoy a piece of chocolate or a few nuts in our room.

There is a limited supply of candy and chips, etc., for sale on the ship, but at inflated prices. We do eat local food when it works out, but we've been on excursions where it just wasn't available and we need a quick pick-me-up.

Sometimes your port/excursions schedule will prompt you to bring some snacks. On our recent Alaska cruise, we had a small-boat excursion 8a-2p then another small-boat excursion 3:15p-8:15p, so taking snacks for normal hunger signals was quite useful.

I realize everyone is different when it comes to the foods we eat. But I wonder if it's necessary to pack any snacks.

Since food cannot be taken off the ship unless it is factory packaged, we pack some granola bars so that on port day excursions we have a snack with us.

My carry-on travel bag is ALWAYS packed with food/snacks. I carry fiber/protein bars, bags of nuts, peanut butter crackers, individual small bags of pretzels, etc.

These have come in handy when the ship has been delayed in boarding (and no food was provided in the waiting area), while on excursions (because of my sensitive digestion system), and once when disembarking was delayed HOURS due to a NYC snowstorm (ship gave us breakfast and nothing else). Yes, I am one of those over-prepared OCD people, but DH has benefitted and thanked me for it a few times. :)

I realize everyone is different when it comes to the foods we eat. But I wonder if it's necessary to pack any snacks.

I have celiac's disease, and while cruise lines do a good job providing gluten free options, I will probably bring so G.F. crackers with me to nibble on once in a while. :D Other then that, I'm sure I will be able to find something.

The only time we saw dogs and handlers was when we were in St. Marrten. Two young men were walking back down the pier to the ship, when the dog sniffed and then sat in front of them. The handler, (with a machine gun) had a chat with the young men, and then they turned and walked back down the pier with the officer. I believe they extended their stay in St. Marrten. :eek:

I found there was a distinct lack of crisps (chips) on our Carnival cruise last year and kept forgetting to buy them in ports.

I ended up buying some overpriced pringles from the shop.

I plan to buy some crisps now before I board in 2 weeks time. I also always have sweets nearby as my hubby is a T1 diabetic.

We usually bring nuts and a box of chocolates (DH then has some dessert he likes, i.e., chocolate). When we are in the Mediterranean, always shop for desserts in port... prefer really good bakery items over what is done on most ships, mostly creams.. where is the cake? When other passengers see us bringing back a bakery box, they can't believe we don't like the desserts on board.

We also buy some items in ports along the way. We have called Room Service on some ships and asked for potato chips.

I am on a special diet, protein and non starchy vegetables... no chips, starches or sugars for me. So on our next cruise, will probably buy some raw vegetables i.e., celery, carrots, olives, nuts for example in ports along the way.

We eat on board, like we eat at home. Even though there is a lot of food, we don't eat everything, so go with what is healthy for us.

We have NEVER brought snacks on board. When we fly I always carry a bottle of water and something substantial (nuts, cheese & crackers) in case a flight is delayed, but ships are sailing buffets. There is SO MUCH food around. And I'll be totally un-PC here - most cruisers don't need more food (myself included).

We find plenty of snacks around the ship. Things we like to bring back to the room for later include trail mix served in a carafe at the British pub (peanuts, white chocolate chips, raisins), cookies from Promenade cafe, and other bits and bobs from other spots around the ship. Also, I don't really find myself wanting snacks -- not when we eat big meals three times a day.

However, my husband is a diabetic, and when he needs something, he needs it NOW. We always have a small stash of pre-packaged snacks, which we use for excursions. At home he always has small pre-packaged snacks in the car 1) because every now and again, we find ourselves delayed, and it's just not safe for him to drive if his blood sugar drops. 2) it's something to hand to the people begging for food on the corners -- we prefer to give food instead of money.

Usually have a couple of bags of sweets from the £1 shop, what I'd really like to take though is a barrel ( or two) of good English ale on board, some of the insipid so called continental beers have no flavour or taste more like fizzy cats pi55.

However, my husband is a diabetic, and when he needs something, he needs it NOW.

As others have said, if you are an insulin-dependent diabetic, the issue isn't a grumbling tummy. It's blood sugar dropping to dangerously low levels. Even those who are well-controlled at home can get out of whack when they are on vacation and participating in more activities, eating at different hours, etc. Having a snack handy can avert a potentially disastrous situation.

As others have said, if you are an insulin-dependent diabetic, the issue isn't a grumbling tummy. It's blood sugar dropping to dangerously low levels. Even those who are well-controlled at home can get out of whack when they are on vacation and participating in more activities, eating at different hours, etc. Having a snack handy can avert a potentially disastrous situation.

Surely any diabetic person will have an emergency pack at all times with glucose tablets and biscuits? They don't need to dip into this every day. Their test sticks and pump will still work, no?

Surely any diabetic person will have an emergency pack at all times with glucose tablets and biscuits? They don't need to dip into this every day. Their test sticks and pump will still work, no?

If I'm going to carry glucose tablets and biscuits (crackers?), I might as well carry snacks. I don't really see the difference. I also have three young kids, so they could eat the snack if we are out on the beach and need something. It's not a big deal to me.

Not sure what the comment about the blood strips and pump have to do with carrying food. I don't have a pump. Not all diabetics do, although I realize that many do.

If I'm going to carry glucose tablets and biscuits (crackers?), I might as well carry snacks. I don't really see the difference. I also have three young kids, so they could eat the snack if we are out on the beach and need something. It's not a big deal to me.

Not sure what the comment about the blood strips and pump have to do with carrying food. I don't have a pump. Not all diabetics do, although I realize that many do.

You don't see the difference between diabetic and non-diabetic?

A non-diabetic does not have to have their head in a nose bag all day long. It's a bad attitude for children and no wonder why there is an obesity epidemic.

I don't allow my children to eat between meals - never have done, even when they were little. They have no concept of a snack. It is crazy to take your own food on a cruise ship unless you have a very specific medical or psychological need.

It is crazy to take your own food on a cruise ship unless you have a very specific medical or psychological need.

Absolutely...and a few people have talked about diabetics who need food right now when they are hypoglycemic (those who are insulin-dependent). You don't seem to be making that distinction at all. The comment about a grumbly tummy for an hour or two is what I'm really referring to. If my tummy is grumbling and my blood sugar is 30-40 mg/dL, I can't wait an hour or two to eat. Although you thought there would be "no harm", it can actually be a huge problem for someone who has nothing to bring their blood sugar up.

I prefer to bring a granola bar rather than glucose tablets. I was actually excited about this trip, because I thought I wouldn't need to pack food, but since we will be on a beach with possibly no concessions, I realized that I probably should.

I haven't once referred to non-diabetics in my comments to this post.