Snacks~Do you pack some?

It depends on whether I am flying or driving to the port...flying...YESS!! Never know if a flight might be delayed...or on longer flights I may have a lay over...just nice to have a little something in my bag to munch on...:D

The only time we might have some snacks is if we've taken the train and they just happen to be in my bag. Otherwise, snacks are so unnecessary. We have gotten a trail mix in the Viking Crown on a couple of ships in the evening. After eating 3 meals every day plus an afternoon snack, we don't need anything else. Our goal is not to gain weight.

We rarely eat 3 meals a day. Just way too much food....especially if you are not an early riser. I thought we were not typical, but come to find out, there are many folks that only eat two meals a day on vacation/cruises.

So yes....if you are actually eating 3 meals a day, I don't know when you would want a snack.

Some of the healthiest, most fit folks I know eat every few hours. Not a lot, but every 3-4 hours without fail. They tell me it keeps their blood sugar from spiking.

I always take along a salty snack to have in our room. I like longer cruises. . . and found I miss having a few chips or pretzels. I admit I miss them less now that I am diamond and can get snacks in the lounge at night. :D

I have found the Park Cafes on the last few ships have had few chips. I have looked and I have asked. They were either out, or had one flavor available--like vinegar.

Some of the healthiest, most fit folks I know eat every few hours. Not a lot, but every 3-4 hours without fail. They tell me it keeps their blood sugar from spiking.

Exactly! I'm a grazer at heart -- on RCI (v Princess) I tend to lose 5 - 6 pounds every cruise due to the limited hours that the Windjammer is open.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, we bring snacks. Usually peanut butter crackers or cashews or nutrigrain bars. We can take them off of the ship because they are wrapped and unopened and if the excursion is a long one, the snack tides us over until we return to the ship.

Edited by luvscruising2007

I'll usually pack some Power Bars or the like for port days as they're factory sealed. I guess if we ever get to do the Aussie cruise on our dream list, I won't be able to bring even then s that's against their regulations.

For the person who mentioned that ships don't have popcorn, Princess ships have them in the pool area for munching on while watching Movies Under The Stars at night.

I brought Larabars and some packets of peanut butter for apples on the ship... We are vegan so choices aren't extensive.

Just curious as have a weakness for peanut butter...what do you do with apples and peanut butter??

Usually pack small snacks in sealed packs for port visits, raisins or other dried fruits with nuts or protein bars or Nakd snack bars.

We always pack snack crackers in our carry-ons. Mainly because we have to fly and it is a long day with connections and little food on the plane. Also I need wheelchair assistance to get from one gate to another and many times that service is slow and we have very little time to sit down and eat at one of the restaurants in the airport even though I make certain that we have at least 2 hours between the flights.

I realize everyone is different when it comes to the foods we eat. But I wonder if it's necessary to pack any snacks.

Unless you have food restrictions or allergies, the last thing you need to pack on a cruise is food. If you have very young children who want and need special treats then bring them. You always have food available and can always purchase snacks on shore or carry fruit from the buffet ashore.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

I'll usually pack some Power Bars or the like for port days as they're factory sealed. I guess if we ever get to do the Aussie cruise on our dream list, I won't be able to bring even then s that's against their regulations

The ships or Australia? We were in Australia 2 years ago and had a bag of candies, chips and cookies and had no problem getting into the country as they weren't fruit , vegetables or dairy. Just have to make sure you declare them before you land!

Also to the person that says you don't need snacks some people have different opinions. My DH can't go all day without eating he snacks several times a day and since we choose not to eat off of the ship something to snack on is a must!

Both our granddaughter and daughter-in-law have hypoglycemia, so between flights (with possible delays) and excursions they always pack the types of prepackaged food they need to stave off or relieve an episode.

For me and my hubby, no need.

Unless you have food restrictions or allergies, the last thing you need to pack on a cruise is food. If you have very young children who want and need special treats then bring them. You always have food available and can always purchase snacks on shore or carry fruit from the buffet ashore.

Enjoy your cruise.

DO NOT TAKE FRUIT OFF THE SHIP!

Every port we've been to they've inspected our bags, or worse. The cute Golden sits next to you.

Don't want the cute dog sitting next to you. Because the cute dog has a handler that will go thru your bags looking for your bananas, oranges, grapes etc.

Only commercially prepared prepackaged stuff off the ship.

Off my soapbox.

But it's to protect the agriculture. In the 90s SoCal was infested with the Mediterranean Fruit Fly. At the time the only way to get rid of them was multiple sprayings of Malathion with crop dusters.

Got really good at wrapping the swing set.

FWIW we travel with food restrictions and haven't had problems ashore. We bring some hard candies, cheese and crackers and cereal boxes ashore.

We've been stuck at boarding for over 6 hours, now we bring something with us.

I plan on bringing my own hot sauce this cruise. I'm addicted to the stuff. I hate tabasco- it tastes like vinegar water to me, and it's the only thing available on the ship, as far as I know. I almost bought an overpriced bottle in port. Will just figure out a way to bring my own next time around!

I'm not bringing snacks. I do love my savory snacks and chips but I can deal with going without for a week and I figure I'll be overdoing it in the food department anyway, as I always do on cruises. I never find myself going hungry. Actually, sometimes I often find myself wishing I could eat more because it's all so tasty! :o

Might bring a little baggie of something for the plane, otherwise I get tempted to buy stuff from the convenience stores in the airport, or worse, on the plane itself. I can never turn down food!

On a tour during our South America cruise one of our group members was extremely allergic to nuts, but he hadn't said anything about it. We had brought some pre-packaged snack that included nuts. When my friend opened them on the bus our new friend immediately started having a problem breathing, even though the person who opened the package was two rows behind on the minibus.

Since peanut and other nut allergies can be life-threatening, I will never again bring a pre-packaged snack with nuts in it.

I know it seems silly, but we do pack snacks, especially my husband. I bring some kind of chocolate, like kisses and usually some small packets of nuts. He brings licorice, often trail mix and maybe some other candy.

Sometimes I just want a small bite of something without running up to the buffet/other food venue, plus, the kind of snacks we bring are hard to come by on the ship. We also use these snacks on flights.

We always bring small packaged foods on shore with us, such as nuts or granola bars in case we don't want a full meal but need a pick-me-up, especially my husband who gets episodes of low blood sugar.

If flying I'll bring snacks for the flight. Occasionally, I've packed envelopes of flavored coffee creamers both for the flight and the cruise. I don't normally pack snacks for the cruise, but did eat the macademia nuts as a snack that I had intented to bring back from a Hawaii cruise. [emoji1]

Edited by BassettMom