Snacks~Do you pack some?

I pack snacks for the plane so that I don't have to depend on airport/airplane food. It's expensive. It's not always good.

I've also traveled with diabetics and got into the habit of taking snacks into port since blood sugar can drop pretty quickly and buying something isn't always convenient. All diabetics, insulin dependent or not, can have blood sugar drop suddenly. Waiting an hour is not an option and the only way to bring it up is to eat something with sugar. Not all diabetics like glucose tablets either. I've had to force my loved ones to eat/drink in that situation more than once and it is extremely scary. I don't want it to happen in another country.

There are other medical conditions where a snack can be needed. Personally, I have a funny stomach in general and letting it get empty is not an option because I don't want to get sick. I also get motion sickness and it's much easier to keep at bay with something in your stomach. Waiting an hour to eat then is also not an option so a granola bar can be helpful.

Edited by Ehpride

We always take peanut M&M's with us. It's a cruise tradition.:) And lately, I've gotten hooked on peanut butter M&M's, so I'll be taking a bag of those, too, on our next cruise. Nothing better than to take a midday break, sit out on our balcony, and munch on a few M&M's. By the way, the orange ones have special regenerative powers.;):D

You don't see the difference between diabetic and non-diabetic?

A non-diabetic does not have to have their head in a nose bag all day long. It's a bad attitude for children and no wonder why there is an obesity epidemic.

I don't allow my children to eat between meals - never have done, even when they were little. They have no concept of a snack. It is crazy to take your own food on a cruise ship unless you have a very specific medical or psychological need.

So what do you do if you have a long excursion and can't eat at your normal lunchtime? I've had excursions that aren't long enough to include a meal, but fall at awkward times. I'm not going to enjoy myself if my mind is focused on how hungry I am.

I have to have my pretzel M&Ms!!!

And a couple of years ago, I met relatives pre-Oasis of the Seas for dinner in Ft. Lauderdale. My aunt brought me a tin of her homemade vescota (sorry about the spelling...they are wonderful Italian cookies)...in addition to my roomie and I enjoying them during the week, our cabin stewardess was thrilled when we offered her a homemade treat. I believe we would have gotten fabulous service with or without the cookies, but it sure made Carol one happy camper!

The only thing i bring is a box of mike and ikes and a bag of cherry blasters. Incase I get a craving for candy. The candy on the oasis/allure is really expensive. Last cruise I only had a handful of mike and ikes ate the rest on the plane ride home :)

Yes i know there is food avaiable on the ship 24/7. i know if you like chips you can get bags of chips at the park cafe on oasis and allure

I was going to make cinnamon almonds. I store them in a gallon zip lock bag. They are our favorite treat! Will I have any problem with them in my carry on at the Ft Lauderdale port to board the Allure next Sunday?

Also, does anyone know if cruise line (specifically Oceania) will allow you to bring Almond Milk on board. I have some dairy restrictions and I don't want to get sick in the process.

Best to ask this on the Oceania board. Might want to call their Special Needs dept.

Yes, I'm Hypoglycemic, I pack a box of those peanut butter/cheese crackers, always keep them handy encase there is some delay that keeps me from eating on time, mainly for delays embarking and debarking and the occasional excursion that is running late. I even keep some in my automobile encase I get stuck in traffic.

I have some severe food allergies and food in ports can be iffy for me, so I always pack a few "safe" granola bars" (factory packaged) so that I have something for "lunch" in ports where I'm not confident that the foods we find would be safe for me to eat.

I actually never leave my house without one of those granola bars, because even here in the US it can be an issue from time to time.

On the ship I have never felt the need to have a snack, the regular meals are more than filling.

I'm another non-insulin dependant diabetic who will be packing factory-sealed snacks. As others have said, they're really for the port. I always carry one bar (Kind nut bars that are low sugar) in my purse at all times just because. I don't mind stopping someplace, but there isn't always someplace to eat. And when my sugar drops low enough, I HAVE to eat. If I eat something that fits within the correct profile of carb to protein, I won't have to eat again for awhile. I'd like to enjoy my trip, thanks.

Also? Hungry toddler = cranky toddler. That's why I now carry a mini one of my bars for him. Trust me, anyone with me won't mind.

You don't see the difference between diabetic and non-diabetic?

A non-diabetic does not have to have their head in a nose bag all day long. It's a bad attitude for children and no wonder why there is an obesity epidemic.

I don't allow my children to eat between meals - never have done, even when they were little. They have no concept of a snack. It is crazy to take your own food on a cruise ship unless you have a very specific medical or psychological need.

You're making a generalization about children and snacks. Some have a high rate of metabolism and may need to have small meals (including snacks) throughout the day. And some still need to do this even as adults without becoming obese (my hubby can be considered to be slender and yet have little snacks during the day, but then he usually eats very healthy). My 17-year-old needs to eat small meals throughout the day too, as she's on the low end of the weight scale for her age and height. Her doctor has assured her that is the best type of daily diet for her.

Unless you're a nutritionist and know about a person's medical history, it's ridiculous to comment on someone's dining habits.

Thanks to all who've replied. Having never been on a cruise until last week, I wondered what I should do. To play it safe, I packed a few snacks for the three of us: one can of Pringles, a container of mixed nuts, a box of Cheese-Its, 12 granola bars and 6 single serving snack bags of mixed granola.

I ate half the box of cheese-its before the trip. lol.

I took a few granola bars on the excursion to the airboat ride in Florida and I think I ate one or two.

Dh maybe ate a handful of Pringles and nuts.

I also ate a few snack bags of granola on the bus trip home from Baltimore to Pittsburgh.

The thing is, I took simple, easily packed stuff that could be eaten at home if we didn't use it on the cruise, and most of it we did bring home. There was a TON of food at the Windjammer, Park Cafe and MDR. I totally loved all the different fruit and vegetable concoctions; that was like heaven to me. What a life that was for one whole week.

Edited by TheDivineMrsM

I realize everyone is different when it comes to the foods we eat. But I wonder if it's necessary to pack any snacks.

Being diabetic, I carry cereal bars but only stick one in my purse when leaving the ship. On board there is plenty to eat!

We are doing the Baltuc cruise next week. Since we have two days in Russia and are on tours that provide lunches....I will be bring nacks to eat during the day . I'm not an adventurous eater and I know I won't eat the lunches offered...so I have a bag of snacks packed :)