Twice Baked Goat Cheese Souffle

tjcletsgo

I keep hearing about how fabulous this dish is but I can't find a Princess menu that has it listed. What other entrees is it served with? Does Princess still serve this?

Thanks so much for any info.

Janie

I keep hearing about how fabulous this dish is but I can't find a Princess menu that has it listed. What other entrees is it served with? Does Princess still serve this?

Janie

It's an appetizer not an entree.

(Unless you request more than one. ;) :p )

Edited by chamima

It's an appetizer not an entree.

(Unless you request more than one. ;) :p )

Sorry, what I meant was, is it served on Prime Rib night, surf and turf night, etc. I really want to try this on our November cruise:D

Janie

ChristineLee posted a very popular thread with menus from every meal and venue. On CC do a search cruise critic " Food Food Food by ChristineLee.

Sali

It is always served the night of the "Chef's Dinner" menu. It is a bit more limited menu, but it one of my favorites. The Goat Cheese Souffle is truly delicious.

Hope this helps. It is not Prime Rib night. That is usually the first night menu on the cruises we have been on with Princess.

I don't think this is completely accurate, but it should give you an idea. I think the pork dish is slightly different now.

Chef’s Dinner

Appetizers

Quail & Venison Terrine gingered red and white onion compote, mesclun salad

Twice Baked Goat's Cheese Soufflé (V) garlic sabayon

Soups and Salads

Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup (V) sun-blushed roma tomatoes

Boston Bibb Lettuce (V) tossed in shallot vinaigrette

Signature Pastas

Potato Gnocchi in Provencale Tomato Sauce (V) served with crisp fried zucchini

Intermezzo

Orange Sorbet (V) infused with ginger and lemongrass

Main Courses

Skillet-Fried Orange Roughy with Tomato and Caper Dressing

on potato, green bean, Bermuda onion and black olive hash

Seared Diver Scallops in Three Citrus Nage

freshly squeezed lemon, lime and orange juice reduced with white wine and bound with butter, warm vegetable julienne and red bliss potatoes

Cocoa Spice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Natural Juice

eggplant and zucchini ratatouille, truffled mashed potatoes

Crispy Southern Skillet Fried Chicken

served with coleslaw and French fries

Trilogy of Lamb Chop, Braised Veal Breast and Chicken Kebab

with piquant sauce, garlic sautéed spinach, cherry tomatoes and croquette potatoes

They either make it really good or really bad. There is no in-between on this one. I had a chef ruin this big time on a b2b once.

Agree with you on this.

When it's good, it's very very good...But... when it's bad it's horrid!

LuLu

Why wait for your next cruise when you can make it yourself.....??:cool:

http://www.tasteforcooking.com/appetizers/princess-cruises-double-baked-goat-cheese-souffle-recipe/

A favorite appetizer on Princess cruises.

Ingredients:

1 pint milk

1 oz baked garlic puree

1/2 lb goat cheese

8 egg yolks

1/2 pound butter (room temperature)

1/2 lb flour

salt and pepper to taste

1 cup Gruyere cheese for sauce

Butter for molds

1/4 cup parmesan cheese to coat molds

2 cups double cream (can use heavy cream)

Instructions:

Preheat over to 375° Butter 6 3/4 cup ramekins and dusk with parmesian cheese.

Place the milk into a heavy-bottom sauce pan, bring to a boil, and whisk in the baked garlic. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. Mix butter and flour until a roux is formed, now called beurre manier.

Whisk the beurre manier into the milk/garlic and beat well over the heat, allow to cook out to a thick consistency.

Add in the egg yolks and beat well, allow to cook out.

Bring the pan to the side of the stove, add in the crumbled goat cheese, beat until dissolved and season lightly.

Whip up the egg whites to a stiffe peak and fold throughout the mixture retaining as much as possible.

Place the souffle mix into a piping bag and pipe into pre-buttered parmesan coated silpat or ramekin molds.

Divide soufflé mixture among ramekins and arrange in a large baking pan just large enough to hold them. Add enough hot water to baking pan to reach halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake soufflés in middle of oven until slightly puffed and golden brown, about 20 minutes, and transfer to a rack.

Let soufflés stand, uncovered, 30 minutes (soufflés will fall slightly).

Lightly butter a baking sheet. Run a thin knife around edges of soufflés. Invert each soufflé onto palm of your hand and carefully put, right side up, onto baking sheet. Soufflés may be made up to this point 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.

Increase temperature to 425°F.

In a small saucepan bring cream with remaining teaspoon thyme and salt and pepper to taste to a boil. Remove pan from heat and keep cream warm, covered. Bake soufflés in middle of oven until slightly puffed and heated through, about 5 minutes.

Transfer soufflés to plates. Spoon 2 tablespoons cream over each soufflé. Princess serves with a decorative salad.

Edited by ar1950

so good! and I don't like goat cheese.

I guess I've been lucky, I've never had a bad one.

LOL. I love goat cheese and was sooooo looking forward to trying this on the Emerald this year. I guess I got one of the "bad" ones, as I was very unimpressed! :(

Agree with you on this.

When it's good, it's very very good...But... when it's bad it's horrid!

LuLu

I didn't know that it could be bad as it is one of my favorites. It was awful on the Diamond!

One of my favorites as well and have never had a bad one. Several years ago all I ordered was this and a salad for dinner, our waiter didn't think it would be enough food, so he brought me two of them! Yikes, now that I see how many calories are in it, I am glad I was only able to eat one of them.

Hmmm. This was one of my favorite dishes until I became gluten intolerant. I tried it once after, prearranging as a gluten free version and it was horrible (on the Emerald last year). I thought I was doomed to never have it again;. Guess I'll give it another shot and hope it was just one of those bad ones. I know it will depend on what they use as a thickener instead of wheat flour.

Why wait for your next cruise when you can make it yourself.....??:cool:

http://www.tasteforcooking.com/appetizers/princess-cruises-double-baked-goat-cheese-souffle-recipe/

A favorite appetizer on Princess cruises.

Ingredients:

1 pint milk

1 oz baked garlic puree

1/2 lb goat cheese

8 egg yolks

1/2 pound butter (room temperature)

1/2 lb flour

salt and pepper to taste

1 cup Gruyere cheese for sauce

Butter for molds

1/4 cup parmesan cheese to coat molds

2 cups double cream (can use heavy cream)

Instructions:

Preheat over to 375° Butter 6 3/4 cup ramekins and dusk with parmesian cheese.

Place the milk into a heavy-bottom sauce pan, bring to a boil, and whisk in the baked garlic. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. Mix butter and flour until a roux is formed, now called beurre manier.

Whisk the beurre manier into the milk/garlic and beat well over the heat, allow to cook out to a thick consistency.

Add in the egg yolks and beat well, allow to cook out.

Bring the pan to the side of the stove, add in the crumbled goat cheese, beat until dissolved and season lightly.

Whip up the egg whites to a stiffe peak and fold throughout the mixture retaining as much as possible.

Place the souffle mix into a piping bag and pipe into pre-buttered parmesan coated silpat or ramekin molds.

Divide soufflé mixture among ramekins and arrange in a large baking pan just large enough to hold them. Add enough hot water to baking pan to reach halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake soufflés in middle of oven until slightly puffed and golden brown, about 20 minutes, and transfer to a rack.

Let soufflés stand, uncovered, 30 minutes (soufflés will fall slightly).

Lightly butter a baking sheet. Run a thin knife around edges of soufflés. Invert each soufflé onto palm of your hand and carefully put, right side up, onto baking sheet. Soufflés may be made up to this point 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.

Increase temperature to 425°F.

In a small saucepan bring cream with remaining teaspoon thyme and salt and pepper to taste to a boil. Remove pan from heat and keep cream warm, covered. Bake soufflés in middle of oven until slightly puffed and heated through, about 5 minutes.

Transfer soufflés to plates. Spoon 2 tablespoons cream over each soufflé. Princess serves with a decorative salad.

Maybe I missed it but this recipe doesn't seem to tell you what to do with the Gruyere cheese and the instructions say talk about the remaining teaspoon of Thyme but I don't see Thyme in the ingredients. I think it need a little tweaking.

Edited by cactusrose

The VERY best one I had was on a TA on the Emerald when apparently a Princess head chef was on board the trek across the pond...every thing we know and love was fabulous...but the Souffle was to die for.

Cue the scene from 'When Harry Met Sally' when Meg Ryan 'enjoys' her dessert in the cafe and the older lady says 'I'll have what she's having'...THAT's how good it was!:eek:

Maybe I missed it but this recipe doesn't seem to tell you what to do with the Gruyere cheese and the instructions say talk about the remaining teaspoon of Thyme but I don't see Thyme in the ingredients. I think it need a little tweaking.

I have no clue if this is better or not:

http://www.jaydeitch.com/Recipes/goat-cheese-souffle-a-la.html