"Special Occasion"?

GolfMom321

When we booked our cruise, we said we were celebrating a special occasion. The occasion wasn't listed (not an anniversary or birthday, etc.), so we checked "other", and listed the date.

We noticed cabins with balloons saying "congratulations", and signs posted on their doors saying "Happy Birthday" or "Happy Anniversary". How are things like this arranged?

I was celebrating an "other" and had balloons on my door on the date I had indicated in the Personalizer. The balloons were generic "Congratulations." No sign on the door; no cake at dinner. Those may only be for birthday/anniversary (I did see a few of those types of signs on the same cruise), which is cool. I just enjoyed having the balloons to mark my occasion.

I was celebrating an "other" and had balloons on my door on the date I had indicated in the Personalizer. The balloons were generic "Congratulations." No sign on the door; no cake at dinner. Those may only be for birthday/anniversary (I did see a few of those types of signs on the same cruise), which is cool. I just enjoyed having the balloons to mark my occasion.

That's what we were thinking too. But no balloons, nothing. We just kind of wondered why they bothered to ask if there was a special occasion if nothing was going to happen. We weren't looking for a cake, or champagne, or anything, really. But the balloons would have been really cool.

I betcha I can guess what the occasion was! Congratulations!

I betcha I can guess what the occasion was! Congratulations! What a Phabulous and Phantastic accomplishment! Phinally!

I was celebrating an "other" and had balloons on my door on the date I had indicated in the Personalizer. The balloons were generic "Congratulations." No sign on the door; no cake at dinner. Those may only be for birthday/anniversary (I did see a few of those types of signs on the same cruise), which is cool.

I have seen signs for "Just Married", "Graduation" and Just Retired" also.

On any given cruise, more than 50% of the passengers claim that it is a special occasion.

For those who claim it is a birthday cruise, we check the passport data. For many of these people, their birthday is many months away. What are we supposed to do?

Is it an anniversary cruise?

What is the big date? We have no way of knowing unless you tell someone.

Is it some other special occasion?

How can we possibly know unless you tell someone?

When we booked our cruise, we said we were celebrating a special occasion. The occasion wasn't listed (not an anniversary or birthday, etc.), so we checked "other", and listed the date.

We noticed cabins with balloons saying "congratulations", and signs posted on their doors saying "Happy Birthday" or "Happy Anniversary". How are things like this arranged?

Its very simple, just add the occasion to your booking, through Princess or your TA.

You could also double check with the MD/stewart just to make sure once onboard.

I know that everyone does not lie about their celebration.

I've never had a celebration...mine would normally be something like "hurray I made it through 6 months without telling off my boss so I still have a job and can afford this holiday"!

I cruised once with a woman who told us at the dining table that it wasn't really her birthday but she likes the cake she gets so every time she cruises she says she's celebrating her birthday.

I checked the item online for my wife's birthday. No sign. No balloons. Zip.

I asked my good friend Stewart about it on the second or third day and the sign and balloons appeared. My wife threatened to beat me if I had them bring cake and sing so we skipped that. :eek:

I had a birthday while on the Nieuw Amsterdam. A simple cake and card from the Captain showed up after we ate in the Italian Restaurant. There was NO room for more cheap cake. Also, I am certain the Captain used the rubber stamp to affix his signature. I was truly underwhelmed. I know my math and know how many birthdays there would be and knew it was just one more assembly line in the kitchen. I thank them for there consideration but would not check off my birthday again.

I am not surprised so many of the cruisers are celebrating one thing or another what with birthdays, anniversaries, new jobs, graduations, and retirements. And also not surprised some select that when not true. My last cruise was MONTHS after getting married, but we thought the cruise was celebration. I would think most couples would do about the same.

My last cruise was MONTHS after getting married, but we thought the cruise was celebration. I would think most couples would do about the same.

Hey! What a coincidence!! My last cruise was in May and it was also MONTHS after getting married!!!

Actually it was 504 months after getting married. We didn't tell anybody onboard that it was an anniversary cruise.

(Sorry... Couldn't help myself... I really do understand what you were getting at in your post.)

Recently at the end of a conversation with a very nice Princess rep about our upcoming cruise she asked me if we were celebrating any special occasions oboard. I said no. Both DH and our anniversary is the month before. She said close enough. Let me put you down for two complimentary celebration packages.

She picked the days. When I asked her what they were, she said, you will be surprised. Still wondering what our two surprises will be.

Recently at the end of a conversation with a very nice Princess rep about our upcoming cruise she asked me if we were celebrating any special occasions oboard. I said no. Both DH and our anniversary is the month before. She said close enough. Let me put you down for two complimentary celebration packages.

She picked the days. When I asked her what they were, she said, you will be surprised. Still wondering what our two surprises will be.

Princess sells an Anniversary Celebration Package for $150. Not likely she's giving you that. I'll bet someone here can tell you what the "complimentary" package actually entails, though.

Princess sells an Anniversary Celebration Package for $150. Not likely she's giving you that. I'll bet someone here can tell you what the "complimentary" package actually entails, though.

Most likely balloons. I certainly do not expect more than that. :)

My daughter did a TA for her honeymoon and indicated the occasion in the personalizer and they got nothing - zip diddly. Since she was Platinum at the time and had seen our anniversary balloons, cakes, etc., on many occasions in her youth... to say she was disappointed is to put it mildly!

My daughter did a TA for her honeymoon and indicated the occasion in the personalizer and they got nothing - zip diddly. Since she was Platinum at the time and had seen our anniversary balloons, cakes, etc., on many occasions in her youth... to say she was disappointed is to put it mildly!

That's why I mentioned it to my steward on the second or third day. (Can't remember which day it was. The cruise was 15 days.) I mentioned it in passing as I left the cabin for breakfast. By the time we returned from breakfast the balloons and sign were in place.

That's why I mentioned it to my steward on the second or third day. (Can't remember which day it was. The cruise was 15 days.) I mentioned it in passing as I left the cabin for breakfast. By the time we returned from breakfast the balloons and sign were in place.

She did mention it to their steward and was told "we don't do that anymore" which of course she didn't believe for a minute. But she chose not to rock the boat so to speak. Still, I myself was very disappointed that she didn't get her honeymoon recognition. >:(

Of the 9 or 10 cruises we have celebrated birthdays, anniversarys & retirements & not once have there been ballons & or sign on the door. And only once did they offer the cake without my asking the head waiter or passenger services desk. And it was always on our reservation & personalizer:rolleyes:

Just to let all know they don't come thru, unless you ask. I guess we have never been lucky when it comes to any to these celebrations:confused: