mature woman's fashions

Deecorrow

If you have department stores near you, go and look! And, you must try things on...you can't tell what will look good ON YOU from the hanger (or a photo)! And that's the key....buy what looks good on you!

There really are no "mature" fashions....per se....just what fits you, and feels and looks good! If you don't want to show your upper arms (many of us older ladies prefer not to!), then find a lightweight summer fabric jacket or something with 3/4 sleeves... if you have good legs, there's nothing wrong with capris! If your legs aren't so hot, get lightweight slacks.

But, you really must try things on! Get thee to a store!

Edited by cb at sea

Will be sailing to Bermuda with my gd and great grand babes, looking for fashions for 75 year old. Lots of searches on google and can't seem to find much that I like. any suggestions?

I understand, and I'm only in my 50s. Sometimes it seems like stores expect us all to want to dress like we're in our 20s. That's fine if you want to, but for those of us that want clothes that are less of a statement of youth and rebellion, it can be hard.

What is it that you don't like, or what is it that you're looking for but not finding? That might help us direct you to something you might be happier with.

I'm in my 50's and wear a lot of Eileen Fisher, White House|Black Market (might be a little young for 75, I can't pull off everything there), and Ralph Lauren, plus some Ann Taylor and Tommy Hilfiger. Eileen Fisher would definitely be appropriate for your age--I'd say it's good for anyone 30 and up--with some pieces even fine for younger than that. (My 10 year old niece loves an Eileen Fisher sweater that my husband for some reason decided to put through the laundry and it shrunk in half--it's adorable on her.)

You could also look at Chicos--I find them a bit old for me, although could see shopping there in 10 years--and Banana Republic.

I agree......

Eileen Fisher and Misook are great choices for travel for mature women. They pack well, can be dressed up or down and are good for mix and matching. Classic looks with a nod to current fashion.

My mother is now 91 and she is a clothes horse! She shops pretty much everywhere - except for the really young stores. In fact, she and my 61 year old sister buy almost the same stuff.

When they visit me in the States they both always find things they like at Talbots, JJill, Chicos, Kohls (for very casual wear), Von Maur and Dillards. If you like something a little more tailored, there is also Pendleton (their skirts are a bit longer and pants are cut a bit higher - but they have really elegant things). Brooks Brothers also has classic looking, elegant clothing.

I agree with looking at lines like Eileen Fischer and Ming Wang. They may cost a bit more, but the quality is definitely there.

My mother and sister often wind up wearing things a bit differently than the store displays them. For example, there are a lot of tops and sweaters that are cut lower than they like - so they layer with a top underneath, or add a beautiful scarf.

Good luck with your shopping!

I am getting close to the 70 age mark. I wear basics for travel. Good quality knit pants don't bind and with a bit of cotton or spandex in the cloth they stay looking good. Black and dark blue, white and brown. If warm weather, I use capri length or "pedal pushers" and those don't have to be hemmed:p. Basic colored shirts short sleeve or 3/4 sleeve and I have several blouses that match the T's for another layer (if weather gets colder). A long skirt or dress is good for walking in cities. A knit dress is good to throw over swim suit. For dressy formal nights I carry black flowing pants or skirt with a collection of filmy tops. (I used to carry sequins but they just weigh too much!). Dressy sandals that are supportive and feel good. Never forget that the ship is huge and you will probably walk more than you are used to NO heels/pointy toes etc. Some of my favorite stores: Dillards (south chain), Dress Barn (especially for moderate priced dressy clothes but can be hit or miss), sometimes Macy and Lord and Taylor especially their house brands. Good luck!

My mom is 94 and she is very partial to Drapers and Damon .. mostly that is online, but she has an actual store where she lives. They do have some very stylish clothing that lend themselves to cruising.

Guest maddycat
Cold Water Creek and JC Penneys

Cold Water Creek is going out of business.......if they haven't already. I'm not in my 70s yet but I find that LLBean, Chicos, Macy's and Lord & Taylor carry a good selection of clothes for mature women.

Edited by maddycat

An e-mail today from Coldwater Creek announced that they will be open only six more days. I will miss them, but have heard rumors that Talbots has bought them.

My local Talbots is frequented by many customers my age (70) and older. I also see many women my age and older in Chicos. Dillards is a good choice too. Talbots, Chicos and Dillards have good web sites. I have had good luck ordering from their web sites.

I do order from LL Bean and Lands End for basics such as T-shirts and cardigans.

LL Bean has very good customer service and return policies. They also have free shipping.

St. John knits (found in better department stores) are not inexpensive but are very classic and don't go out of style. :)

I'm on the small side so my granddaughters (now older teens/20's ) are always giving me things as gifts from LuLuLemon type of places so I'll be a "trendy NaNa". Their latest was an outfit make from bamboo. :D

LuLu

[QUOTE=cruise kitty;43682957]My mom (70's) shops at Chico's, J Jill, & Talbots, I think you can't go wrong with those stores for an older woman.

-----------------------------------------

Those three are where I buy most of my clothes ... especially Talbots!

I'm rather thin and short so Talbots works best for me. Their clothes are more classic than old lady looking. :D

LuLu

Not only older women;):eek:......I love Chico's and I am in my mid 50s...

but then again, to someone who is 20something I guess I am older:rolleyes:

Eh, I'm 41 and have been wearing Talbots for 15 years:p I have very traditional/preppy taste with an occasional bit of bohemian flair thrown in.

I think asking for a specific type of item or style is better than just giving an age. At 20 or 90, we're all going to have different styles & tastes:D

Eh, I'm 41 and have been wearing Talbots for 15 years:p I have very traditional/preppy taste with an occasional bit of bohemian flair thrown in.

I think asking for a specific type of item or style is better than just giving an age. At 20 or 90, we're all going to have different styles & tastes:D

:D Guess I'll never get over the "preppy" look either!

LuLu

Not only older women;):eek:......I love Chico's and I am in my mid 50s...

but then again, to someone who is 20something I guess I am older:rolleyes:

I'm almost 50, & think Chico's has some pretty cute stuff, but their clothes look terrible on me, I'm only 5'3" & the cut of most of their styles just doesn't flatter me.

I have to say, I'm a lazy shopper, so if I find a brand or style that works for me I'll buy multiple items, sometimes in the same color, & I'll stick with tat brand, :) I like fashion, but don't like to shop. :)

St. John knits (found in better department stores) are not inexpensive but are very classic and don't go out of style. :)

I agree. I got a Santana knit tank, pants and long buttonless cardigan in cream and it looks stunning. Would look elegant at any age.