Has balcony furniture improved

Loreni

So is this universal now across the fleet? Comfy chairs, large tables gone and replaced with the small ones, four chairs gone from Caribe and Mini Suites and replaced by two? If so, might be time to cash in some FCCs.

It's getting to the point that I'm happy that I'm not elite, haven't found a TA that discounts in addition to OBC, not eligible for military or share holder discount because there is nothing to keep me loyal to a product that may no longer provide the same experiences that I once enjoyed. I'm platinum now so it would be a long haul to elite for someone who can't even sail once a year. I know that other line have also made changes but since I have never experienced them I won't know the difference. The only thing that keeps me loyal to Princess at this point is the food. They have already turned me off with their Caribbean itineraries and their new ship class. People keep comparing the new Royal class to Celebrities Solstice class. The difference I see is that the largest Celebrity ship carries less passengers than the Caribbean Princess. So at least with Celebrity there are less passengers. There are complaints on their board as well but I don't read anything about passengers having to tote pillows and mattress pads on board.

Edited by Iamcruzin

It is impossible for me to believe that the buyer did not sit on this furniture or that he/she found it comfortable. So why was the decision made to purchase uncomfortable furniture?

Weight and $$$$. ;)

Oh, I am certain that the 5' 7", 135 lb. buyer sat in a variety of chairs to determine relative comfort levels. And a bean counter with a clip board and pocket protector was right there beside her.

Buyer: "Oohhh. This lounger is reeeeaaaalllly comfortable. I could sit in this one all day long and never move! If I had this on my balcony, I'd never leave my cabin!"

Bean Counter: "If you choose to buy that chair, you're fired!"

And yes, this is fleetwide, as is the desire to maximize on board spending. Solution? Buy your own chairs, pillows, tables and footrests and lug them on and off the ship. "Come back new" will then mean "Come back [with] new [stuff]."

Sounds likely. The person who chose them was probably in their 20's or 30's and weighed 135 lbs. For a young person with a good body these might be OK. For the average Princess cruiser - not so much.

I used to be able to sit on the ground or on a rock or stump or wherever for long periods of time without a problem but those days are long gone.

Not talking about a persons weight, but the weight of the furniture. ;)

In my opinion, Princess has some of the worst stateroom and balcony furnishings in the cruise industry.
I agree about the balcony furnishings but I think Princess has among the very best with comfortable pillowtop beds, desks with lots of drawer space and bedside tables with more storage than I've had on other lines, including HAL, Celebrity and RCI.

I agree about the balcony furnishings but I think Princess has among the very best with comfortable pillowtop beds, desks with lots of drawer space and bedside tables with more storage than I've had on other lines, including HAL, Celebrity and RCI.

Has the entire fleet had the beds upgraded from the old torture devices they used to call beds? ;)

I've never eaten more than a snack on any balcony but how do people cope trying to eat a full meal using the miniature tables they now provide?

I would also imagine that the Ultimate Balcony dinner on the Royal and Regal would be a tight squeeze.

I've never eaten more than a snack on any balcony but how do people cope trying to eat a full meal using the miniature tables they now provide?

Probably part of the master plan. Gets you off your deck and cuts down on room service requests

Has the entire fleet had the beds upgraded from the old torture devices they used to call beds? ;)

The answer is no, and I would be buying lottery tickets if I had Pam's luck with getting nothing but pillow top mattresses for many years. I have YET to be graced with one of these mythical beds.

I don't know about the fleet, but I got one of those comfy mattresses this time on the Star. What a difference! I think the closest to a marble slab I experienced was on the Golden. I'm sailing on the Golden in Oct., so I hope the fleet-wide upgrade has happened.

I don't know about the fleet, but I got one of those comfy mattresses this time on the Star. What a difference! I think the closest to a marble slab I experienced was on the Golden. I'm sailing on the Golden in Oct., so I hope the fleet-wide upgrade has happened.
I've had pillowtop mattresses on every Princess cruise I've taken over the last two and a half years in a variety of cabin types. That includes the Star, Island, Crown, Diamond, Royal and Sapphire. Not the whole fleet but pretty representative.

I think they said that and when the uproar died down, so did any plans to change or revert to better furniture. As a matter of fact, back then, Caribe balconies had four chairs. Now they get a measly two plus two useless footstools.

Why are the footstools useless?

Why are the footstools useless?

I suppose they can be used for something. My little grandsons sat on them when they visited my balcony (when they weren't sitting on the little teeny weeny itty bitty table.) DH put one on top of his not-yet-read section of the newspaper he bought on shore when the wind threatened to blow it away. Once I spread my pool towel out on two of them in hopes of promoting faster drying. What they aren't any good for is putting your feet on. :)

My wife and I only have 3 cruises so far. Sea Princess, Star Princess, and Grand Princess. We have slept great on all 3 ships. My disabled son also slept fine on Sea Princess and Star Princess. No complaints at all.

We hate super soft and squishy mattresses. They really destroy my back. We have had zero problems with the beds on Princess.

I guess I'm confused as to how a footstool can't be used as a .....footstool?:confused:

Technically, I guess, it could. The problem is that its height is awkward. It's almost level with the seat of the chair, so you end up with your knees in your face. The plan (I think) was for the stool to be half of a lounger. The chair, however, does not recline enough to lounge, so the stool doesn't serve that purpose. The chair is also straight and rigid, so the idea of lounging is pretty much out of the question. Notice there are very few pictures of people sitting in the chairs?:)