Initial X observations

blindrid

I don't like booking online. First of all, cabin selection using X's website stinks.

I have booked excursions on the website using my celebrity account.

My experience with booking by phone with X has been good. Never experienced rude or detached attitudes. The cruise is what counts and we have had no complaints after seven cruises with X.

As part of their targeted younger generation. ya their website sucks, but why would anyone book directly with the cruiseline???

There are MUCH better deals/perks whatever you wanna call them when booking through a 3rd party site.

some examples of the website problems?

i seem to be able to find cruises and rooms fairly easily.

i just looked at two cruises that i have booked and they seem pretty easy to navigate.

just curious what the problems are.

Same here, and my PC is still on Windows Vista:eek: or the wifesters iPad. Oh well, off to explore some more for our 11 days on the Equinox in 95 days!

The vacation will be what you make it to be. We have sailed on 7 diff lines since our first in 1987, and the on ship product of the other 6 have not compared to what we get from Celebrity.

You have been on 10, and now you have the negative stinkin thinking, as Mom used to say, out of the way. But if you so desire it to be, this could be the worst cruise you have ever taken. And come to think about it, after re-reading your original post, I think it is doomed for disaster. :( you are throwing away your time off.

Trust me, there.is no bad cruise.

Johny, the changes were a few months ago. I've decided to get on board THEN upgrade ifIm disappointed.

Thanks all. Randy.

We have found the Celebrity web site very poor for finding and booking cruises. Maneuvering around the web site can cause one quit in frustration! So we use a TA to book our cruises, unless we had booked on board during a previous cruise.

Once a booking is complete, we have found the on-line checkin and excursion sign up functions work well. Seldom do we need to follow up with our TA, yet if necessary, she always come through for us.

Trust me, there.is no bad cruise. Johny, the changes were a few months ago. I've decided to get on board THEN upgrade ifIm disappointed. Thanks all. Randy.

Get yourself a high quality travel agent who can do all the work for you! You just relax and let them talk to the CSR's to book everything you want. Presto --> just pay your bill and enjoy a great cruise.

No need to go through all the misery you did with their schlocky website and clueless CSR's. Do it the easy way! :D

I have booked three cruises with Celebrity and have booked over the phone each time, and never had a problem. However, I've heard a lot of you saying you can get better perks/deals when booking through a travel agent. Do any of you use a TA that you would like to recommend for this sort of thing? Second question - If I already booked directly with Celebrity (deposit only), is there any chance of "transferring" the booking to a TA to take advantage of extra perks?

Booked 1st Celebrity cruise after 10-12 cruises:

Now, my cruise is nearing and my excitement level is well below my norm. I almost think taking a Celebrity was a mistake. IMHO, their level of pre-cruise service has been nothing short of a negative. Sure, I'm still planning on having fun but I'm guessing with little help from Celebrity. I'm thinking for the $'s, X will be out for future cruises.

Trust me, there.is no bad cruise.

Johny, the changes were a few months ago. I've decided to get on board THEN upgrade ifIm disappointed.

Thanks all. Randy.

Then why your orginal post?

I have booked three cruises with Celebrity and have booked over the phone each time, and never had a problem. However, I've heard a lot of you saying you can get better perks/deals when booking through a travel agent. Do any of you use a TA that you would like to recommend for this sort of thing? Second question - If I already booked directly with Celebrity (deposit only), is there any chance of "transferring" the booking to a TA to take advantage of extra perks?

Cruise Critic guidelines/posting rules prohibit the naming and recommending of specific travel agencies, out of respect to those companies who pay to advertise on this website.

Except for bookings made on board, I almost always initiate our bookings directly with Celebrity, via website or phone, and then transfer later on to a TA for the "perks". If you go this route, you have to transfer the booking within 60 days of booking -or- before final payment, whichever comes first, otherwise the booking remains directly with Celebrity.

Unfortunately, due to rules of this forum, no one will be able to mention the names of any travel agents here. However, I would recommend for you to chat with your fellow cruise critic passengers on your next cruise and if you feel comfortable, ask them if they like their travel agent and if they are willing to tell you who they use.

Yes, you can transfer a booking made with Celebrity to a travel agent up to 60 days from when you made the booking. Any travel agent can take your Celebrity booking information and process this transfer for you.

Good answers for you from both BEAV and VULCAN1971 (# 35 & # 36)

As stated we cannot give out specific recommendations (name names) here on CC .. But I suggest you might do as I do

Book your cruise direct (can sometimes make a difference in taking advantage of particular deals / perks... Such as Captain's Club Offers like the Category Upgrade, 50% Deposit etc)... I personally do all my research on-line & then book by phone... And it's been easy breezy never had any issues.

Then in transfer window timeframe (booking to 60 days) I make some enquiries / phone calls to various TAs & 3rd Party Booking Sites to see if they'll offer up any additional perks for my transferring the reservation to them. If so just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get the transfer paperwork in place with Celebrity... I don't leave it to the last minute, prefer to do it around Day 50 vs Day 58, 59 or 60

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Booked 1st Celebrity cruise after 10-12 cruises:

Now, my cruise is nearing and my excitement level is well below my norm. I almost think taking a Celebrity was a mistake. IMHO, their level of pre-cruise service has been nothing short of a negative. Sure, I'm still planning on having fun but I'm guessing with little help from Celebrity. I'm thinking for the $'s, X will be out for future cruises.

Then why your orginal post?

If one would read, the overall poor service has precluded any pre cruise excitement as my expectations have been lowered. It ain't that hard.

X website is really, really, bad and it is worse than any other travel site, there is absolutely no doubt about it. Using a TA is really the only way you can deal with X and I guess that's the way they want it. A group of high school kids could do a better job with their web site, LOL!

Edited by rmalbers

X website is really, really, bad and it is worse than any other travel site, there is absolutely no doubt about it. Using a TA is really the only way you can deal with X and I guess that's the way they want it. A group of high school kids could do a better job with their web site, LOL!

Actually, you are correct. The cruise lines prefer that people book through TA's instead of directly, to lower costs.

Edited by jp30338

Ya, these days if you have a great web site with published API's, anybody can front end it and really publish the best deals and well, there goes some serious profit margin, LOL! Just the way the travel business goes these days.

"I consider myself a low maintenance cruiser with low expectations, etc. I'm there to have fun regardless, good times with friends, etc."

I've cruised just a few times, on Carnival, NCL, and mostly Princess (and way back when on Premier). I've always enjoyed cruising; it's such an easy, relaxing vacation because you get to do as much or as little as you like. AND you're not cooking and cleaning up, even if some of the meals aren't perfect (most of them are good or better, I think, on a cruise ship) My first Celebrity cruise is coming up in three weeks. I will have a good time because, like you, I tend to have low expectations, which may be the key, as bad as that sounds. I read a lot of bad things on this board, for example, about NCL. We had a wonderful cruise (and it was at an awesome price) in spite of what I read.

Forget all the baloney you went through to book. You'll be on a beautiful ship cruising the ocean. You'll be able to get a drink and have a nice meal, maybe take a swim, soak in a hot tub, have a spa treatment, gamble, or take a fun excursion. It's all good!

I always sleep well on a cruise ship. Enough said.

Randy, what ship are you on? This might help you decide whether or not to upgrade. I upgrade to the premium package when I'm on the Solstice Class ships becuase the martinis and the molecular bar drinks are covered. Also, what is your itinerary? When we take a port intense cruise, we stick with the classic package because we are off to ship so much and I am so tired by the end of the day! This January, we are sailing on the Reflection again. Only three ports of call, a fabulous martini bar, and a weeks worth of tanned Russians at the molecular bar! We upgraded!

Actually, there is another way -- you can call and book. We research our cruises on the X website -- but, that's it. We do our bookings on the phone, and have them send us an invoice (Guest Confirmation Copy) by e-mail. Any changes or modifications to our reservation are easily handled with a call to the Captain's Club. No need to deal with that nightmare of a website, if you don't want to. :cool:

As a newbie.. I did research online through the X website which was OK, not great but just about OK. I did contact a local TA that I use for other holidays and found the experience woeful.

I knew the Cruise I wanted and an idea of a Cabin, phoned X and spoke to a very knowledgeable and pleasant young guy. He even suggested a slight change in Cabin as he found one that would serve my needs better.

Randy, what ship are you on? This might help you decide whether or not to upgrade. I upgrade to the premium package when I'm on the Solstice Class ships becuase the martinis and the molecular bar drinks are covered. Also, what is your itinerary? When we take a port intense cruise, we stick with the classic package because we are off to ship so much and I am so tired by the end of the day! This January, we are sailing on the Reflection again. Only three ports of call, a fabulous martini bar, and a weeks worth of tanned Russians at the molecular bar! We upgraded!

Sorry for the Delano.... Equinox on 12/1. Good mix of sea days. Categena, Costa Rica, Belize, panama, cayman and Cozumel. Probably stay on boat in Coz and Cayman (but who knows). 4 sea days. The Classic may be fine, or not :).

It all works in the end though. December Colorado snow or Caribbean?

Edited by blindrid

I'm taking my first cruise on celebrity cruise line and I used a TA as I typically do so I can't speak to what the OP has gone through but I must say, the pre-cruise process can set the tone. I don't think we should dismiss the OPs stress of a bad booking experience. You want to roll on board confident that you're going to get what you thought you booked and not have to spend the first half day of your cruise in a service line trying to fix it on board.