Initial X observations

blindrid

Booked 1st Celebrity cruise after 10-12 cruises:

1) Booking online, impossible.

2) booked by phone, bad experience. Booking agent could have cared less.

3) Got classic drink package, before the changes/drink price increases. Change dictates a very limited beer, wine and drink selection. Now it appears to have a reasonable import or wine, pay for upgrade.

I consider myself a low maintenance cruiser with low expectations, etc. I'm there to have fun regardless, good times with friends, etc.

This should not come into play, being responsible for $12k+ in bookings, but my experience with X has been below my minimal expectations.

Now, my cruise is nearing and my excitement level is well below my norm. I almost think taking a Celebrity was a mistake. IMHO, their level of pre-cruise service has been nothing short of a negative. Sure, I'm still planning on having fun but I'm guessing with little help from Celebrity. I'm thinking for the $'s, X will be out for future cruises.

Now, off my soapbox, it's getting closer to sun, sand and beer:)

General thoughts on the current state of X?

Edited by blindrid

Well, as my friend LoisR frequently points out: don't judge the quality of Celebrity's cruising experience by their website, or land-based representatives. The website is so bad that I avoid it, whenever possible. We've usually dealt with good phone reps, when booking. But, even then, many of them have never been onboard a ship -- so their knowledge is largely based on what's on their computer screen. Wishing you a good cruise. I hope that you'll come back and tell us that you were pleasantly surprised. :cool:

Transfer your booking to a TA and let them take care of any issues. I agree that the website is way below par but by letting the TA talk on my behalf the whole process has been a piece of cake. AND I am dealing with a USA TA while I live in Australia.

From a small sample size of one I can vouch for what others have said. Don't compare the online experience to the on board one. I can't wait to return to Celebrity. The whole experience was wonderful. As for the perk of the drinks package it represents great value to me when factored into the comparative cost of X to other cruise lines. Rather than upgrade now just wait till you board and see if what classic offers is enough to keep you happy.

Very, very nice onboard sailing experience.

Very, very annoying and irritating pre-cruise experience trying to deal with their on-going, never-ending problematic, pathetic website.

The irony is their marketing department spends $millions$ targeting a younger, tech-savvy demographic with their "modern luxury" theme, when in fact their website is fraught with bugs and is frequently unusable. Today's younger demographic isn't interested in phoning a call center as a "fall back" to finish what the website is incapable of completing. They want to use the web, start to finish.

Edited by BEAV

Very, very nice onboard sailing experience.

Very, very annoying and irritating pre-cruise experience trying to deal with their on-going, never-ending problematic, pathetic website.

The irony is their marketing department spends $millions$ targeting a younger, tech-savvy demographic with their "modern luxury" theme, when in fact their website is fraught with bugs and is frequently unusable. Today's younger demographic isn't interested in phoning a call center as a "fall back" to finish what the website is incapable of completing. They want to use the web, start to finish.

While I am nowhere near as tech-savvy as some of my friends, I am definitely part of this younger demographic. I often get frustrated by their website as it does not have easy to access information and I am not able to get a complete dummy booking to try to get a good idea of what we will pay and which rooms might be available. This is all annoying and sends me to other websites so I can get the information I am looking for.

Drink more beer...stop worrying about the administrative part of a cruise. Drink up... Enjoy...your cruise will be great!

That's what I'm hoping to do.

I still can't believe their pre-cruise sucks so bad.

I've always said that when it comes to getting a clear answer to a pricing/ policy question, call Celebrity at least twice to confirm that the answer you are getting is correct. I've " educated " more than one of their mistaken phone reps in the past.

Once onboard the service and experience improves immensely ,...unless you try to order something customized on the menu. Then you might get what we like to call " the Celebrity face " ( blank, bug eyed and confused ) :)

Edited by Kevnzworld

I'm kinda used to questions not beings we're incorrectly with other cruise lines as well. I'm a research nut so not many things surprise me. Maybe the best word is "indifference".

I probably need to apologize for me whiny though.

Yea, there web site leaves a little bit to be desired.

I booked using both the web page, then had to call to finalize it to make sure I was getting the 123 deal, as I was not even offered it before being requested to do my final page.

Once I called though, I had a good phone agent and she took good care of me, plus it was all backed up/confirmed by an email not 5 minutes later.

I was a frequenter of Flyertalk.com for a while when I flew a lot.

Same things there with regard ti airlienes. Get an answer that yo don't like, call back again in 10 minutes and get another answer that you like.

I think all transportation related companies are the same these days.

I've only cruised X and love the onboard product, and honestly don't HATE the shoreside customer experience, as I have low expectations form any customer service related industry these days.

The vacation will be what you make it to be. We have sailed on 7 diff lines since our first in 1987, and the on ship product of the other 6 have not compared to what we get from Celebrity.

You have been on 10, and now you have the negative stinkin thinking, as Mom used to say, out of the way. But if you so desire it to be, this could be the worst cruise you have ever taken. And come to think about it, after re-reading your original post, I think it is doomed for disaster. :( you are throwing away your time off.

Edited by wallie5446

booked by phone, bad experience. Booking agent could have cared less.

3) Got classic drink package, before the changes/drink price increases. Change dictates a very limited beer, wine and drink selection. Now it appears to have a reasonable import or wine, pay for upgrade.

Tried searching on the forums before asking this - what changes are coming to the drink packages? Does anyone have any flyers showing what changes/prices will be?

I booked my first Celebrity Cruise recently and nearly cancelled booking and inquiries were sooooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad but decided to stick with it base4d on what some people told me, but if service doesn't improve a lot I won't be back.

I agree 100% that the Celebrity Website is BEYOND disappointing... And in this day & age the gateway to the company... For sure a poor impression.

I tend to live my life as an optimist... And a people person.

And someone who truly believes that when it comes to Customer Service and what it really means is best achieved person to person, and ideally face to face.

So I much prefer contacting Celebrity directly by phone... And for the most part I've been EXTREMELY satisfied.

Same goes with the "ship experience"... EVERYONE from the Porters on dock (Non Celebrity) thru to every.single.one of the Crew on-board have been Good, Great or Fabulous !!

And in the end that is all that matters... That my actual vacation / cruise is AWESOME.

Mr Sloop & I are new to cruising... But we've been so wowed by Celebrity... That we are reluctant to seek out another line and risk disappointment... For us Celebrity is perfect in how they define the type of vacation we want and how it is delivered (fair price for value received - great overall experience - excellent staff - decent itineraries - delicious food options - all-inclusive beverage packages - wonderful wines & knowledgeable someliers - truly as the say our interpretation of "modern luxury")

So ya... I wouldn't judge the book before you've even read past the table of contents.

You'll see lots of topics on here the Celebrity Forum about the good & bad (big & small... And otherwise insignificant)... Cause that is the nature of the beast that the Internet & Discussion Boards are

But in reality the majority of posters here are folks who are repeat customers of X... If not down right long term loyal Celebrity Cruisers who cruise with the line a multitude of times.

I will be curious to hear your thoughts post cruise...

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

There is no excuse for the website problems, they should have been resolved years ago

Now regarding phone reps I suggest cutting them a little slack as Celebrity itself has caused this problem. The constant changing and modifying of their promotions has to have phone personal pulling out their hair.

Practically every month Celebrity is changing their marketing program and rules of combinability. Even programs that appear to be the same with or a name tweak have different booking codes associated with them.

This same fact accounts for increased hold times as well, because every time a program changes many people who booked previously now are calling to se uf the new program works to their advantage.

IMHO it was much simpler when celebrity just adjusted prices and not programs.

Booked 1st Celebrity cruise after 10-12 cruises:

1) Booking online, impossible.

2) booked by phone, bad experience. Booking agent could have cared less.

I consider myself a low maintenance cruiser with low expectations, etc. I'm there to have fun regardless, good times with friends, etc.

This should not come into play, being responsible for $12k+ in bookings, but my experience with X has been below my minimal expectations.

Now, my cruise is nearing and my excitement level is well below my norm. I almost think taking a Celebrity was a mistake. IMHO, their level of pre-cruise service has been nothing short of a negative. Sure, I'm still planning on having fun but I'm guessing with little help from Celebrity. I'm thinking for the $'s, X will be out for future cruises.

Now, off my soapbox, it's getting closer to sun, sand and beer:)

Been on one, booked two more. Love X. They are just right for us

I use TAs and never had any issues and even when I've had questions and phoned X Customer Service direct, I've always had prompt and courteous service.

Maybe there's a difference between Customer Service in the UK and US? there shouldn't be of course

I LOVE the Celebrity cruise experience. I am not a fan of their website. Trying to add a booked cruise to My Reservations is beyond frustrating.

I hope your cruise is wonderful! Please stop by once you're back and let us know if your on-board experiences are as fantastic as most others!

Tried searching on the forums before asking this - what changes are coming to the drink packages? Does anyone have any flyers showing what changes/prices will be?

May 1st or so X modified brands of drinks within each package, removing a lot from the classic making them Premium, then a few weeks later after a lot of moaning by us, adjusted those offerings adding several (bot not all) back into the package after the dust settled. Part of that process has been the removal from the X website of exactly what brands are within each package (giving X more freedom to adjust the brands as they choose), the Official X representative posted in these forums, they would no longer post specific lists due to tall the commotion people caused over it.

We have cruised on Celebrity about 8 times and twice on Royal and love the actual cruise ship experience on Celebrity. However, agree that the website and sometimes customer service can be frustrating to deal with.

It is hard to understand why this continues to be a problem since they do a great job once you enter the ship. So expect that you will have a great experience onboard once you get through the precruise experience.

This is my first X cruise and the web site has me absolutely demented. It has taken a lot of the fun out of the pre-cruise anticipation. I can't believe it is so bad. Have never had this trouble with other lines and, unless this up-coming cruise is something special, I wont be bothering again - I haven't time for all this messing about.

I have been trying to book excursions without success. Can anyone tell me how to do this please? I am concerned that we wont have supplied the correct details and downloaded the correct paperwork when it is time to go.

Sandie

Edited by slhw
Missed off name