What Carnival & Royal ships are equals?

BLAMBKY

Considering the switch from Royal to Carnival and I would like to know which Carnival ship is comparable to Royal's Freedom of the Seas?

Carnival's equivalent to Freedom of the Seas would be Carnival Sunshine, any Conquest/Splendor class vessel, and Dream class.

Carnival's equivalent to Freedom of the Seas would be Carnival Sunshine, any Conquest/Splendor class vessel, and Dream class.

Out of curiosity, may I ask how you have come to that reasoning where you are comparing a Conquest class ship to a Freedom class ship?

RU Kidding me:confused:

Have you been on a Freedom class ship?

To the OP the only ships that Carnival has similar is the Radiance class and Spirit class.

If you want to try Carnival, the newest ship is the Carnival Breeze

Edited by jonbgd

To the OP the only ships that Carnival has similar is the Radiance class and Spirit class.

I would have to agree, but I feel that the Majesty, the late Soverign and the late Monarch do have some similar attributes of a pre-EOF (and even with EOF) Fantasy class ship.

I also feel that from my cruise on the Navigator of the Seas and a field trip for the day aboard the Oasis of the Seas, there is no comparison for the Oasis class, Freedom class and some features of a Voyager class on Carnival. If we didn't experience some of the issues we did onboard the Navigator, which I doubt we would experience if we sail with Royal Caribbean again, I'm sure there would have been more of a mix between Carnival and Royal Caribbean International in our past cruises.

Edited by Disconnections

Size wize their voyager class seem compatible with carnival dream class.

Carnival Breeze is closest in tonnage to the Voyager class. But the Carnival ships don't have anything like the Promenade found on the Royal Caribbean ships, so it feels different.

In answer to the OP Carnival offers. Nothing comparable to Freedom of the Seas, while the breeze is a bit , smaller than Voyager.

problem is you pay tons extra to be on those huge royal ships. i've been on both sides and the royal ships are huge. the explorer i felt so much bigger than the splendor, but in the end still like ccl better. def more fun and things to do.

Edited by matt87

I've been on the FOS and Carnival Dream. I'd say they are pretty close in size but the FOS seems bigger because of the promenade. The FOS doesn't have any of the really neat stuff like the Oasis class. Carnival Dream class has more food options with better food in my opinion and a more casual atmosphere but the ship layout is a pill to navigate until you get use to it. Entertainment on both is nothing to write home about.

I would have to agree, but I feel that the Majesty, the late Soverign and the late Monarch do have some similar attributes of a pre-EOF (and even with EOF) Fantasy class ship.

I also feel that from my cruise on the Navigator of the Seas and a field trip for the day aboard the Oasis of the Seas, there is no comparison for the Oasis class, Freedom class and some features of a Voyager class on Carnival. If we didn't experience some of the issues we did onboard the Navigator, which I doubt we would experience if we sail with Royal Caribbean again, I'm sure there would have been more of a mix between Carnival and Royal Caribbean International in our past cruises.

1st time we did the Nav was a few weeks before you.

We are now doing our 4th cruise on her. Give her another chance:D

Size wize their voyager class seem compatible with carnival dream class.

About 10,000 tons

Carnival's equivalent to Freedom of the Seas would be Carnival Sunshine, any Conquest/Splendor.

How? Freedom of the Seas is a good 50,000 tons bigger than the Sunshine, and they layout and amenities can't compare.

To the OP, Carnival currently doesn't have any ships like the Freedom of the Seas. At 130,000 tons, the Dream class would be the closest, but the layout will be completely different. Do yourself a favor and don't try to find the ship closest to a Royal Caribbean ship. Instead, get ready for a new experience altogether. Although someone undoubtedly will chime in and say how Carnival and Royal are so similar, the differences are many. Both have their superlatives, and you'll know that you are no longer sailing on Royal the moment that you walk into a Carnival ship for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've been on the FOS and Carnival Dream. I'd say they are pretty close in size but the FOS seems bigger because of the promenade. The FOS doesn't have any of the really neat stuff like the Oasis class. Carnival Dream class has more food options with better food in my opinion and a more casual atmosphere but the ship layout is a pill to navigate until you get use to it. Entertainment on both is nothing to write home about.

You must be tough to entertain if you think RCI's entertainment is nothing to write home about.

Bill

Il also have have to say nothing compares to the voyager,freedom or Oasis class of ship that a RCCL has.

In my opinion you can still find a nice WoW factor on some Carnival ships.

If the price is the same I go RCCL if the price is better on CCL I go with them.

Sea ya

Eric

TBA November 2014

Golden Princess & Grand Princess Sep2014

Cunard Queen Elisabeth Jun2014

Golden Princess May2014

Royal Princess Jan 2014

Caribbean Princess Feb 2013

Carnival Liberty Nov2012

Hal Westerdam March2012

Ruby Princess Nov2010

Sapphire Princess Sep2010

Rccl Adventure Of The Seas April 2010

Carnival Miracle Feb2010

Rccl Oassis of the Seas Feb2010

Rccl Majesty of the Seas Nov2009

Rccl Navigator of Seas Sep2009

Hal Westerdam Nov&Dec2008

Caribbean Princess Nov2007

Sea Princess Nov&Dec 2006

Diamond Princess Apr2005

Rccl Navigator Dec2004

NCL SUN Nov2004

Visit of QM2 Oct2004

Carnival Victory Nov2003

Golden Princess Apr2003

Celebrity Mercury Nov2002

Carnival Elation Nov2001

NCL SKY Nov2000

All of you are referring specifically to ship size which was not indicated as criteria from the OP's perspective. If the OP is referring to ship size then yes the closest Carnival has to offer would be the Dream class. With that said I am speaking in terms of the on board experience ; and yes the Sunshine, Conquest, and Dream classes I believe are good options if someone is looking for a comparable experience like that found on Freedom. Will they be exactly identical? No. They each have their differences.

We were on the FOS as our first (and only, so far) RCCL cruise. The royal promenade is not comparitable to any CCL ship. No water slides, either. If you want the "WOW" factor, I would try Dream or Breeze. They are the newer, larger CCL ships, and will give you a good all-around taste of what Carnival has to offer. If you want a smaller ship, go with a conquest class ship, such as Liberty or Freedom or Conquest. Splendor and Sunshine are also good ships to try. I would make sure the ship you go on has the 2.0 upgrades. Many people love the slightly smaller Spirit class ships, while the Fantasy class are the smallest ships, but have the updated waterworks. I think the Royal entertainment was better than CCL, but that is probably because I was "carnivaled out" due to seeing the same shows on numerous ships. Comedy clubs and piano bar on CCL are usually pretty good. Give CCL a try if you find an itinerary and price you like. You can always go back to Royal!

Considering the switch from Royal to Carnival and I would like to know which Carnival ship is comparable to Royal's Freedom of the Seas?

If you loved Freedom, the only Carnival ship I recommend trying is Breeze. I still do not think they are comparable, but the way they designed the ship might not be as much of a shock as other CCL ships.

Otherwise, I do not think RCI and CCL ships are comparable at all. They are totally different. The closest I can come up with is RCI Vision Class and CCL Spirit Class but even there, Vision Class just looks so much more classy.

Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING compares to RCI's Oasis Class. RCI has distanced itself so far from Carnival with that ship class, there won't be a comparison anytime soon.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

It's interesting that we're comparing apples to oranges, and yet Carnival and RCI are each other's biggest competition, and many people – myself included – have no problem sailing on either one.

IMO, Carnival is better for those who simply like to cruise....i.e. those who like being at sea, the movement of the ship, the ports of call, the sunshine and breeze, and the interaction with fellow passengers. Royal Caribbean is more of a land-based vacation that just happens to be built on a ship. As cool as things like rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, flowriders, zip-lining, etc. are, they have NOTHING to do with the cruise experience and being at sea.

Instead of asking which ships in the Carnival fleet are similar to RCI's ships – the answer to which, BTW, is none – it might serve the OP better to know the differences between the type of experience each one offers.

Have to agree.

My take on it,

I have been on both lines, and several sizes of ships.

1. RCL is nice. It also has stuff I'm not interested in, rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, zip lines, florider, etc.

2. Carnival ships feel more like ships and less like an amusement park.

3. Food, about the same, some better some worse.

I recommend a Spirit class (my personal favorite) or above on Carnival. Try it once, if you don't like it try another line.

Edited by dulcimergirl

My personal take right now. Book a last minute cruise on Valor or Conquest - 7 days from $219pp!! These ships are about getting out there, seeing some great ports and great food options. It's less about the ship and more about getting a great vacation value. You will not be disappointed !!!

IMO, Carnival is better for those who simply like to cruise....i.e. those who like being at sea, the movement of the ship, the ports of call, the sunshine and breeze, and the interaction with fellow passengers. Royal Caribbean is more of a land-based vacation that just happens to be built on a ship. As cool as things like rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, flowriders, zip-lining, etc. are, they have NOTHING to do with the cruise experience and being at sea.

2. Carnival ships feel more like ships and less like an amusement park.

Sorry - let's be real here.

You guys talk like Carnival is Holland America or something. How in the World can you say RCI is like an amusement park or a land based vacation and not say the same thing about Carnival with all the things Carnival is adding - like massive waterslides, 4D theaters, ropes courses, etc?

By the way, all those things you mentioned about RCI, other than the rock wall, do not exist on 3 classes of RCI ships, yet aren't waterslides on or being added to every single one of CCL's ship classes?

You can't act like Spirit Class is so nice and so much like "being at sea" and not say the exact same thing about Radiance or Vision Class. Likewise, you can't say Oasis or Freedom Class is like an amusement park and not say the same thing about Dream Class.