Lobster question

Keep in mind that the lobster that is part of the Fisherman's plate is warm-water lobster, not Maine lobster. In order to get Maine lobster you have to do the upcharge.

From the Maine Lobster site:

....Warm water lobsters are sometimes called spiny lobsters or rock lobsters, and since they are less expensive that the more desirable cold water lobster (the classic “Maine lobster”) their tails are often frozen and served simply as “lobster tail.” If you ever had a tough “lobster tail” served at a hotel banquet or on a mass market cruise ship, perhaps as part of a “Surf-and-Turf” platter, it was almost certainly the frozen tail of a warm water lobster, most probably a Caribbean lobster from the Bahamas or Honduras.

While often referred to as “lobster,” warm water lobsters are not closely related to the cold water Maine lobster. For example, while the warm water Spiny lobster and the cold water Maine lobster are both crustaceans and decapods, they are from a different genus, family, and species.

Edited by bobinfl

From the Maine Lobster site:

....Warm water lobsters are sometimes called spiny lobsters or rock lobsters, and since they are less expensive that the more desirable cold water lobster (the classic “Maine lobster”) their tails are often frozen and served simply as “lobster tail.” If you ever had a tough “lobster tail” served at a hotel banquet or on a mass market cruise ship, perhaps as part of a “Surf-and-Turf” platter, it was almost certainly the frozen tail of a warm water lobster, most probably a Caribbean lobster from the Bahamas or Honduras.

While often referred to as “lobster,” warm water lobsters are not closely related to the cold water Maine lobster. For example, while the warm water Spiny lobster and the cold water Maine lobster are both crustaceans and decapods, they are from a different genus, family, and species.

Thanks for providing this information. It would explain why the "lobster tails" on RCCL are usually small, dry, and hardly worth the time to eat them:D

The last time I had one was on Portofino on Jewel - small, dry and pathetic:(

I was glad it was included on my HAL cruise to Alaska as I've wanted to try it for a while, but it's so expensive in restaurants I've been afraid to in case I didn't like it.

Verdict for me? It was good...but I probably won't eat it other than on a cruise. Sadly, since it's on a platter with other fish (which I don't eat) on RCI, I probably won't have it on my Radiance cruise next summer.

It's shrimp. Do you eat shrimp?

Marci, perhaps the policy has changed, but I thought the cutoff for "free" lobster was cruises of 5 days or longer. Plus, the cruises have to be US based.

I guess an exception to every rule, but the Brilliance TA this past May out of Tampa had no Fisherman's platter or no cost lobster. And, there was even a port stop in Boston where they could have picked up some fresh!

The never ending obsession with lobster.........

Pick up some tails at Sams Club. Not expensive. Split em' open and broil em', they'll be better than anything you can get for "free" on the cruise:D

BJs has stellar lobster and steaks. Personally, if its just the tail, I grill it. Or wrap it in foil with some lemon and white wine, seal it and grill it. No fuss, No Mess. Steamed lobster in wine is fantastic

It's shrimp. Do you eat shrimp?

Read Wednesday's NYTimes article in the food section on shrimp. It will make a little for discriminating when it comes to shrimp. Grocery store shrimp and commercial asian shrimp are tasteless, to me.

Maybe you haven't had good lobster. The little tails served on RCCL are no such thing.

... and someone actually called you a Royal cheerleader the other day. I'm still ROTFLMAO after that one. :D

Thanks for providing this information. It would explain why the "lobster tails" on RCCL are usually small, dry, and hardly worth the time to eat them:D

The last time I had one was on Portofino on Jewel - small, dry and pathetic:(

I have had some great Caribbean lobster, when fresh, what we call spiny lobster. There are no claws to eat, but the tails are great. I like my lobsters like I like my women, big-n-fresh

Seafood is only truly good when fresh. You can't have fresh seafood on a mass cruise. Maybe Cunard has fresh lobster, oysters and clams, but not for thousands of people.

I guess an exception to every rule, but the Brilliance TA this past May out of Tampa had no Fisherman's platter or no cost lobster. And, there was even a port stop in Boston where they could have picked up some fresh!

European based cruises do not offer the fisherman's plate on their menu and maybe this was considered a European itinerary even though it originated in Tampa?? Just a guess...

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Marci, perhaps the policy has changed, but I thought the cutoff for "free" lobster was cruises of 5 days or longer. Plus, the cruises have to be US based.

You are correct - five days will get you lobster now.

Thanks for the clarification.

Marci