Celebrity vs Carnival - 7 day Oct out of Galveston

phoenix_dream

Go to Walmart for a bit and evaluate your experience and what people act like, as that is what you can compare Carnival to, lol

I will NEVER cruise Carnival after my 2 cruises with them...

I certainly wouldn't judge Carnival after two cruises on two of their oldest ships and believe both were short cruises so probably booze cruises to boot.

Perhaps, but its the truth. Im a straight shooter that tells it as it is, even if it offends people. Carnival is called the walmart of the seas for a reason

Called the "Walmart of the Seas" only by the misinformed (or by those who don't have an original thought in their heads and only buy what others say).

I have sailed CCL, Princess, and HAL and have enjoyed all 3 lines. Will be sailing X for the 1st time, in Sept 2015. Think of Carnival Corp like GM, you have Chevy, Buick, and Cadillac, and each is marketed to a different segment of the public.

CCL markets to FUN orientated crowd. The ships activities personnel try carry that out as well. Although we are in our 50's we have had blast on CCL and will cruise them again.

I have NEVER EVER, had a bad cruise or meal on a cruise. Some things I did not prefer, sure, that is life in general! When on vacation, YOU control your experience. If you think it will not be good one, guess what, you are right, you just convinced yourself.

But then again I do not cruise for perks, I cruise for the enjoyment, relaxation, and community. If I get perks, great. But then again I am not snobbish, elitist or entitled like so many seem to be on CC.

But remember, you always get what you pay for!!

Now this is a fair judgement!

FWIW I have sailed on most of the cruise lines, including Celebrity and Carnival and I think Carnival gets a bad rap. Service and food were on a par with other mainline cruise lines (Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, MSC, Princess) with specialty restaurants being excellent. I think the main difference is the passengers--a younger crowd than Celebrity--more 20/30-somethings and children--but not loud and obnoxious. (Perhaps the shorter cruises are different.)

As another poster mentioned, your attitude before boarding may be the most important factor. If you have an idealized view of Celebrity and expect Carnival to be a disaster (based on either your own experience or reading these boards), you probably will notice a lot of things you don't like on Carnival and regret going. On the other hand, if you expect the experience to be a little different--perhaps not as nice as you have experiences on Celebrity--but expect to enjoy things, you probably will. If you are concerned about the quality of the food (I found it fine, but tastes are different), take advantage of the specialty dining--eating there every day will probably still be cheaper than a Celebrity cruise and may reconcile you to make the most of Carnival. (Some high-spenders must enjoy Carnival--those paying for suites are paying a lot more than I did even on premium and luxury lines.)

Perhaps, but its the truth. Im a straight shooter that tells it as it is, even if it offends people. Carnival is called the walmart of the seas for a reason

Honestly, because you "say" it is the truth, doesn't make it so.

20+ cruises on =X=

10 on RCCL.

5 on Carnival.

Is there a difference? Yes. Is it to the extent that a few elitists claim? Doubtful.

Edited by ECCruise

This is what I posted on another question on this message board, similar to this.

I've cruised on 2 Carnival cruises so far, one on the liberty and the other on the legend. My next cruise is booked on the celebrity summit.

I fully enjoyed both cruises. I suspect you post this question on the carnival board, you will get completely different answers for this message Board. I bet they will say, you'll be boating with a bunch of old people.

This is what I've been told also from reading the message boards.

Carnival equals younger crowd.

Celebrity equals older crowd.

Watch any YouTube video and you can clearly see there's a difference in age group.

Carnival equals party boat.

Celebrity equals more relaxing boat.

Carnival equals a little bit more chaos.

Celebrity equals more organized.

Again, watch any YouTube video and it will show the difference in atmosphere.

Carnival equals smoking on your balcony.

Celebrity equals no smoking on your balcony.

I can't go into detail concerning the food on the celebrity. Although everything I've read says it's better than average.

The food on the carnival was average at best. I would compare carnivals food to a good local buffet, whether you're eating in the buffet or in the main dining room. So if you go with carnival with those expectations, it will definitely be met and you'll not be unsatisfied. To me any cruises is a good cruise, as long as I'm on it.

Happy cruising

This is what I posted on another question on this message board, similar to this.

I've cruised on 2 Carnival cruises so far, one on the liberty and the other on the legend. My next cruise is booked on the celebrity summit.

I fully enjoyed both cruises. I suspect you post this question on the carnival board, you will get completely different answers for this message Board. I bet they will say, you'll be boating with a bunch of old people.

This is what I've been told also from reading the message boards.

Carnival equals younger crowd.

Celebrity equals older crowd.

Watch any YouTube video and you can clearly see there's a difference in age group.

Carnival equals party boat.

Celebrity equals more relaxing boat.

Carnival equals a little bit more chaos.

Celebrity equals more organized.

Again, watch any YouTube video and it will show the difference in atmosphere.

Carnival equals smoking on your balcony.

Celebrity equals no smoking on your balcony.

I can't go into detail concerning the food on the celebrity. Although everything I've read says it's better than average.

The food on the carnival was average at best. I would compare carnivals food to a good local buffet, whether you're eating in the buffet or in the main dining room. So if you go with carnival with those expectations, it will definitely be met and you'll not be unsatisfied. To me any cruises is a good cruise, as long as I'm on it.

Happy cruising

Having multiple sailings on both lines, I respectfully disagree with virtually everything you are saying, especially with your citing YouTube videos for evidence.

First, and most glaring, Carnival has banned smoking on balconies.

Some of our most disorganized cruises have been on Celebrity.

The ONLY time we have ever been awakened by drunks in the hallway at 2 or 3AM, and this occurred twice over 2 years, was on Celebrity (Horizon and Zenith).

Some of the very best meals we have had have been on Celebrity, but some of the very worst, also. Likewise for Carnival. Most of Carnival's specialty restaurants are pretty darn good, and WAY cheaper than Celebrity

The only comment that I agree with marginally is the age demographic...Celebrity generally skews older...but if you compare a long (meaning 14 day) Carnival vs. a shorter Celebrity, even that is not a given.

Celebrity is still our line of choice (have 40+ days booked) but misinformation makes me craaaaazy.

I am unsure about whether the poster is simply stirring the pot or is indeed as arrogant as he/she sounds. We are embarking on our first Celebrity cruise next spring and certainly hope that the majority of cruisers on that line are there to enjoy the people, sights, entertainment, food, drinks etc. and do not look down their noses at us "common folk". If that is the demographic for Celebrity, I fear we may be making a mistake. We cruise to enjoy ourselves, not to judge or look down on others.

ECCruise you can definitely disagree with my input as I said, I have never been on a celebrity cruise yet. But I have done a lot of reading on this message board and that's the information I take from other individuals posting and the videos I watched.

I may be completely wrong on the smoking on the carnival balcony, but they were able to a couple years ago when I was on my cruise.

I don't compare the specialty restaurants, as I never paid the extra fee to eat there.

And I wouldn't compare a 14 day cruise versus a shorter cruise, as there would never be the same demographics on those cruises.

Every cruise is what you make of it.

Happy cruising

I am unsure about whether the poster is simply stirring the pot or is indeed as arrogant as he/she sounds. We are embarking on our first Celebrity cruise next spring and certainly hope that the majority of cruisers on that line are there to enjoy the people, sights, entertainment, food, drinks etc. and do not look down their noses at us "common folk". If that is the demographic for Celebrity, I fear we may be making a mistake. We cruise to enjoy ourselves, not to judge or look down on others.

Have been on 25+ Celebrity cruises and trust me, you have no need to worry about anyone looking down their noses at you. You will see people of all ages and from all walks of life. Yes, there are fewer families, and yes, the age tends to trend older. IMHO it is different to prefer a different experience than to feel you are better than anyone else. I have never encountered snobbish behavior on any of my cruises. I am sure you will not either. I know sometimes posts get a little emotional here and there, but onboard I would be absolutely shocked if you ever felt you were being looked down upon.

Carnival has some fantastic October deals. All of our Carnival cruises booked and planned are in this month. You're right, very few children, mostly a handful of older teens, with an average age on the ship about 35-40.

If you are used to staying at a Springhill Marriott that has spiked to $160 per night, and the Holiday Inn is $80, there's a tradeoff either way. I would personally make the choice based on bang per buck, and not look the other way.

I think the MDR food on Carnival is much better than Royal Caribbean. Our timed dining on Carnival meant we sat alone with multiple people never showing up once, guess they were happier in the buffet or eating hamburgers and hot dogs. This leads me to believe they have a lower turnout, allowing them to have a higher budget for those that do show up. :)

Wow! Such strong feelings! We mostly sail Celebrity or Princess. But have sailed Carnival 4 times. The food was excellent, entertainment quite good also. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The balcony cabins are a generous size. The decor was the main downside for me...but that didn't affect our enjoyment of just being at sea. Just stay away from the short cruises....anything 7days or longer should be fine. BTW we are retirement age.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I did decide to only post this question on the Celebrity boards because I am a long-time Celebrity cruiser and wanted observations from people with the same history as me, as a comparison of Celebrity versus Carnival. I made the assumption that the majority of people on the Carnival boards are more likely long-time Carnival cruisers who enjoy the product. Was not avoiding their input, but for now was just wondering how switching to a different cruise line would feel after cruising almost exclusively on Celebrity for 20+ years.:)

We are looking at taking a Caribbean cruise in October and Celebrity only has one option and the prices are outrageous. Heaven help us, we are considering trying out Carnival again after 20+ years cruising only Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. Some input please.

Being October, I expect there will not be a boatload of kids (at least school age kids), and I understand the décor will be a bit more old Las Vegas than Celebrity. We will miss the perks of being Elite+, but the price is fantastic which can make up for a lot of drinks. Our expectations will be set that the food will not be quite as good, nor the service. But what else would you consider the major differences? RCI has a couple ships sailing a similar route that I am trying to talk DH into, but he is looking at the price of Carnival and drooling:). I read through a similar post from last year, but it spoke more to shorter cruises. Any additional input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Frankly, we don't have the courage to try Carnival. It isn't the décor (Four Queens, Old Las Vegas, is totally redone and beautiful). We don't book Carnival because we anticipate loud music, excess drinking (spills and stains), larger and faster moving groups, entertainment for a younger demographic. We're probably wrong.

Reading this thread, a post mentions the Holiday Inn. That brings to mind the last time we stayed in one and the triple polyester on the bed: sheets, blanket, pillow. I said never again.

About Walmart of the Seas, I shop at Walmart and the stores are clean, prices are competitive, and the shoppers and clerks are polite.

We might book Carnival in an off season. I'd rather book Celebrity, Princess or Royal Caribbean.

Penny

Now this is a fair judgement!

This comment is fair. Likewise we've never had a bad cruise on CCL, or HAL, NCL or X. Perhaps our expectations are not as high as others but we certainly don't believe all the trash talk one finds about CCL on this X thread. Then again, we've read similar comments about X on the HAL or Princess threads.

If the price is good as well as the itinerary and you simply want to enjoy a cruise then go for it, regardless of the cruise line. If indeed you then find that you don't care for CCL, you've clearly made the decision yourself. We do prefer X over all the others, but would not hesitate to cruise with CCL again and were actually impressed with the CCL Breeze and the cove balconies. :)

Edited by PROCRUISE

Loved all three of my cruises on the Carnival Magic. I don't care for RCI's food. Carnival ships like any place with thousands of people have all kinds. It's not fair to compare the old Carnival ships-Elation, Fascination to newer ships with 7 day or longer cruises. In May 2014 I met many very sharp passengers aboard the Carnival Magic. It was my first solo cruise.

Edited by janisutx

First, and most glaring, Carnival has banned smoking on balconies.

Balcony smoking is STILL allowed - that is until Oct. See below:

Effective October 9, 2014, the cruise line will ban all smoking on cabin balconies; the line already prohibits smoking in cabins. According to company spokesman Vance Gulliksen, the change to the line's smoking policy is in response to "the preferences of a majority of our guests." Additionally, the updated policy is consistent with most other major cruise lines' smoking policies.

After cursing a variety of different cruise lines, I am now loyal to two lines: Carnival and Celebrity.

When I want to get away with my husband for quiet time and relaxation, I go with Celebrity. The pro with them versus Carnival is the little things that a lot of people don't notice. Everything is just a touch nicer. Dinnerware, linens, service, etc. The number one difference is food quality. Celebrity has the market without jumping to Seabourn, Cunard, etc. There are very little children on board and the guests are a bit classier.

As for Carnival, I will not say it's not a value cruise. It is. Their prices are fractional to others and at times, but not always, it shows. That said, if you go into with low expectations, you will be pleasantly surprised. Service wise, they're great. When it comes to food, they're very comparable to RCI, HAL, and Princess. I do feel that their food is better than Norwegian. All of this said, Carnival definitely has a much more "fun" atmosphere. People are very friendly and sociable. Some of this is due to drinking, some is just due in general to people being genuinely happy to be on vacation. I initially shot them down because I was concerned I would be surrounded by obnoxious spring break crowds, but that has not typically been the case.

I do believe a lot of the feel depends on your itinerary. Carnival has a lot of families, which makes them very accommodating to traveling with children. I also have to give their children's camps five stars.

It's worth giving Carnival a try, if the deal is a really good one. My husband and I are going on a 8 day to the Southern Caribbean with them. It was almost $1500 less expensive than Celebrity. Because we will be spending the majority of our time at the beach in port, I felt that it was a good choice. If I were traveling to the Mesiterranean or Alaska, I would stick with Celebrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums