Ten Years From Now...... HAL

sail7seas

Have to agree. Only once have we waited more than 30 on HAL or any other cruise line minutes to board a cruise.

The one and only time when it was longer was a Christmas cruise and the ship in question had been late clearing customs in Miami for some unknown reason.

I guess that I just don't get it.

Maybe we've just been lucky, but have never waited more than 30 minutes to go aboard.

I suppose that faster internet would be useful to many, but dread the thought of some moron on the balcony next to us video chatting with friends.

Is tracking my luggage going to get it in the cabin faster?

Am quite sure that increased entertainment options is something many folks would like to see. A lot of the newer, larger ships do that and apparently do it very well.

I am sure that we are in the distinct minority in saying that we cruise to be back at sea, get away from everyday issues, and spend some quality time together.

When the ship is at sea, I want to feel a connection with it which is greatly enhanced by the promenade deck. Most of the new builds do not have such a thing anymore, or if they do, nothing like what HAL provides.

If we really placed great value on "entertainment" and fancy drinks, it is cheaper to go to Vegas.

I'm wondering if the comment about technology was more for the benefit of the intended passenger base. Asians (at least those well enough off to cruise) are very attached to -- one might say addicted to -- their phones, tablets, etc. and I'm sure would feel the lack if some efforts weren't made to meet a reasonable expectation of access.

Carnival Glory, NCL Sun, and Equinox all seemed faster. Will be trying RCI Serenade in Oct and Sun Princess in Feb. But, to be fair, we never buy very much time on board. We use on shore wireless mostly.....because of the speed of connection.

So you are basing this on a few minutes access then? I buy packages generally. I would think it would be hard to figure out how bad or good it is with such limited access.

I'm wondering if the comment about technology was more for the benefit of the intended passenger base. Asians (at least those well enough off to cruise) are very attached to -- one might say addicted to -- their phones, tablets, etc. and I'm sure would feel the lack if some efforts weren't made to meet a reasonable expectation of access.

In Calgary folks can't seem to let go of their phones for love or money. While I pride myself on not having that kind of addiction I was in the mountains the weekend before last without internet or cell phone service. It was an odd feeling. I don't think the Asian market aren't the only ones addicted to technology.

RCCL's internet technology they will launch is vastly different than HAL's. RCCL will essentially launch a dedicate satellite for all ships to use for communication.

HAL uses a third party vendor that leases already-leased space.

I guess that I just don't get it.

Maybe we've just been lucky, but have never waited more than 30 minutes to go aboard.

I suppose that faster internet would be useful to many, but dread the thought of some moron on the balcony next to us video chatting with friends.

Is tracking my luggage going to get it in the cabin faster?

Am quite sure that increased entertainment options is something many folks would like to see. A lot of the newer, larger ships do that and apparently do it very well.

I am sure that we are in the distinct minority in saying that we cruise to be back at sea, get away from everyday issues, and spend some quality time together.

When the ship is at sea, I want to feel a connection with it which is greatly enhanced by the promenade deck. Most of the new builds do not have such a thing anymore, or if they do, nothing like what HAL provides.

If we really placed great value on "entertainment" and fancy drinks, it is cheaper to go to Vegas.

I see the main issue as a new generation of cruiser coming up that have always been "connected" to technology. If they feel that they will lose that connection a customer will be lost. I recently saw a news story that not having adequate internet speed available can reduce the value of a home by as much as 40%.

Many of HAL's cruisers are retired or close to retirement (myself included). We grew up without internet, cell phones, etc and do fine without. Many people under 40 will not consider a destination with poor internet service or no cell coverage. Under 30 the number goes up- under 25 forget it.

This is a generation that wears shorts and flip flops to work- and in many cases brings their dog to work (Microsoft is a prime example). They don't want to be told they have to dress up two nights for dinner. They don't want to be told they have to eat at 5:45 or 8:00- they want to eat when and where they desire. If the cruise lines don't put changes in place to catch this market they will likely be in a world of hurt when our group stops cruising.

I'm betting in 10 years shorts and flips flops will be fine in any venue on board. All restaurant will be open dining with many more surcharge options. I'm also betting that if $299 seven night cruises are still around pretty much everything except the stateroom will be an additional charge- just like a hotel. You want room service breakfast? It will be $15 per person just like the Hyatt. No outside food or beverages allowed on board- everything will need to be purchased on board. People will be trying to smuggle potato chips on in their luggage.

Anyone who has worked in retail know that every square foot of a store has a value. Large open Promenade decks could be restaurants, bars, and staterooms and generate revenue- the reason they have all but disappeared.

Edited by frankc98376

In Calgary folks can't seem to let go of their phones for love or money. While I pride myself on not having that kind of addiction I was in the mountains the weekend before last without internet or cell phone service. It was an odd feeling. I don't think the Asian market aren't the only ones addicted to technology.

True, but they take it to a whole new level.

My college senior son is attached to his technology; his Asian friends (he has several, given location of his school) are more like permanently united with it.

Interestingly, students at his college have developed apps for everything from how to know when a washing machine in your dorm is available without having to go and look, to real-time info on how "on time" the campus buses are running.

A recent study by Nokia found that people check their cell phones about 150 times a day, or about every 6 1/2 minutes during the amount of time they are awake. I find that amazing. My son thinks its amazing that I can go an entire day without checking mine.

Edited by cruisemom42

I see the main issue as a new generation of cruiser coming up that have always been "connected" to technology. If they feel that they will lose that connection a customer will be lost. I recently saw a news story that not having adequate internet speed available can reduce the value of a home by as much as 40%.

Many of HAL's cruisers are retired or close to retirement (myself included). We grew up without internet, cell phones, etc and do fine without. Many people under 40 will not consider a destination with poor internet service or no cell coverage. Under 30 the number goes up- under 25 forget it.

This is a generation that wears shorts and flip flops to work- and in many cases brings their dog to work (Microsoft is a prime example). They don't want to be told they have to dress up two nights for dinner. They don't want to be told they have to eat at 5:45 or 8:00- they want to eat when and where they desire. If the cruise lines don't put changes in place to catch this market they will likely be in a world of hurt when our group stops cruising.

I'm betting in 10 years shorts and flips flops will be fine in any venue on board. All restaurant will be open dining with many more surcharge options. I'm also betting that if $299 seven night cruises are still around pretty much everything except the stateroom will be an additional charge- just like a hotel. You want room service breakfast? It will be $15 per person just like the Hyatt. No outside food or beverages allowed on board- everything will need to be purchased on board. People will be trying to smuggle potato chips on in their luggage.

Anyone who has worked in retail know that every square foot of a store has a value. Large open Promenade decks could be restaurants, bars, and staterooms and generate revenue- the reason they have all but disappeared.

I only wish the younger people I know would use technology for work purposes. Many of my coworkers use it to post a ton of selfies and pics of their kids on facebook. One of my colleagues made a baby book at work for her kid. I'm so busy at wook sometimes I have trouble making time to use the bathroom yet my boss is always adding to the pile on my desk. Thats what you get for working hard.

Edited by cruz chic

My college senior son is attached to his technology; his Asian friends (he has several, given location of his school) are more like permanently united with it.

I got a new car about a month ago. The guy that was showing all the features of my suv wanted to sync my phone into my vehicle. I told him there was no way. I will not use my cell while driving. He told me he is addicted. He showed me his watch and on it he gets email and texts. Thats a bit much. I never want to be that person.

You are probably at least close to right and the cruise lines more

than likely know it, too.

What they will do with this knowledge might be a whole different thing

but surely, particularly in Seattle Bill Gates corner of the world, this information won't come as a total shock. :)

I think that a connected cruise ship is a great differentiator. Just as some lines have done well differentiating themselves by food or service, RCI has done well by going big. Add more to ships already known as having more can only help.

This is not only about attracting a certain age of passenger, but it is also about attracting a different passenger. Working vacations will be easy now on a cruise ship. Need to host a webinar or stay connected with clients? No problem.

The possible revenue streams are enormous. Beside the obvious of charging for high speed service, the cruise line can now offer live streaming of world wide events, movies on demand anywhere on the ship and online gaming to anyone, anywhere.

Imagine no longer needing a cabin card? No longer needing a beverage card? No longer waiting in line to have your pic taken? Booking excursions on board using a smart phone or tablet instead of waiting in line. Ordering room service using a tablet. Purchasing jewellery, art, and liquors from the convenience of your cabin.

Now I'm the first to admit that I'm not the HAL cheerleader I was, but I really feel that they have a catch-22 here. They are damned if they change, and damned if they don't. They cater to a demographic that is admittedly shrinking when it comes to the cruise industry. And if Holland tries to innovate like Norwegian or Royal, all hell will break loose among the current clientele. Thus, HAL really cannot do anything to attract and maintain cruisers new to the brand. Market share projections have HAL with shrinking market cap for the last several years. Most of this IMHO is due to the fact that they have quite a bit of leakage among the "new to HAL" and super premium cabins.

People that are younger typically (but not always) want action and adventure and usually find HAL stuffy and stagnant. Or if they are upwardly mobile they are booking super premium cabins on NCL and RCL that are more enclave like than what HAL provides. Even Celebrity is moving in this direction.

And super premium pax have been jumping ship to lux and lux lite lines as well.

(I rarely post, so feel free to dismiss this as coming from a barbarian at the gate)

YPNYGuy has hit it on the head, I think. If HAL doesn't innovate and change, they'll die. The passage of time is seeing their prime demographic age out of cruising.

I feel for those who have cruised HAL for decades, and now see it as a pale shadow of its former self. Multi-star Mariners who lament the decline in service, amenities, perks, and elegance that was once a hallmark of HAL. Ironically, it's the popularity of cruising that will likely cause HAL's demise. Cruising has exploded in popularity. People that once thought cruising was for the rich have come to realize it offers great value for money and have gone to sea in droves. HAL has to compete for that business to stay afloat. Which seems to have meant alienating their loyal customers to attract new ones.

Just an observation: look at the marketing material you get from HAL, or most any other mass market line for that matter. How many male guests do you see depicted in a tux? Or even a suit and tie? In the last year or so, in all of marketing we received from HAL, Princess, and Celebrity, (several pieces per line per month) the total was zero. (although I'm sure they have different material for different demographics) You see men with jackets and open collars, but nary a tie among them. The only male I saw shown with a tie was a tour guide on a bus in Alaska. The only marketing material I see with traditional formalwear depicted is from Cunard. Apparently we don't fit Crystal's demographic. I'm not trying to start a (dreaded) formal wear thread, but I think HAL's market research is showing them that new, younger cruisers aren't interested in the formalities of the bygone era. Which is an aspect of cruising the loyal HAL customer tends to love. Changing this one aspect of the cruise experience pushes HAL into being like every other mass market cruise line. They really are caught in a difficult situation. To replace the customers they are losing to age and time, they have to change to appeal to younger, hipper, more casual folks. The younger generations have grown up in a world that is fast paced and casual. Dressing for dinner has never been a part of their lives.

We are prime targets for HAL and for Celebrity. And others. HAL does nothing to attract us.

So we cruise much more on Celebrity than we do on HAL. Our last three cruises were Celebrity, NCL, and Carnival. That being said, our next booked cruise is on Princess. And we are about to spring for an RCI cruise in October. DW did not even want to consider HAL for the Oct. cruise.

I think that is sad because HAL is a good line. They just need to 'pick up their socks' and move forward in a discernible direction. I hope that they do because there are lots of 'positives'.

We are also a prime target for the cruise industry. Married professionals in our 40's with no kids. We've taken two HAL cruises, but the last 5 cruises have been Princess (1) and Celebrity (4). We cruise to relax, see some interesting things, and forget about work for a week. RCCL was ok, but I really don't need an ice rink or a climbing wall on my cruise ship. I don't quite "get it". I also don't want to be on a ship with 5000+ other customers. I want the surroundings to be quiet, nicely appointed, and have decent food. I didn't like the constant sales announcements on NCL, so we haven't tried another. But from what I'm reading here, maybe we should give them another try. There were things I really liked about Princess, and we'll likely go back to them. Celebrity AquaClass has been great for us. I like the BLU dining room. Classy and comfortable without the stuffiness. The one Solstice class ship we were on was fantastic. The ships with the "ship within a ship" concept don't interest me. For me it's too much like a Class system, which sort of offends my sensibilities. Yes, AquaClass does have its own dining room, but we still use the same pools, lounges, etc as everyone else. I don't want to feel like I'm less of a customer. It's why we'll probably never sail Cunard.

I'm back looking at the HAL board because we booked a last minute HAL cruise to Alaska for next month. If Celebrity would have had an itinerary that met our requirements, we probably wouldn't have looked at Holland. HAL doesn't hold much appeal for us anymore. I do love the size of HAL ships. I like the art, the food, and the service. One of my favorite sea days of all time was spent walking the hallways on Eurodam, looking at the photos of the golden age of cruising. But (and I'm not trying to start a fight) I dislike the smoking policy on HAL, as I spend a lot of time on my balcony (and have allergic asthma reactions around smoke). It's one of the main reasons we don't sail HAL much. And to be brutally honest, our last HAL cruise in 2010 was like going on vacation with our parents. Every couple we were seated with in the MDR had children our age. They were lovely people, but to a couple, they were all retired. We had nice conversations, but it was like hanging out with our parent's friends at a 50th wedding anniversary party. I'm a night owl and I pretty much had the ship to myself after 11pm.

I think HAL can find a niche, if corporate allows them to. They could corner the small ship(by today's standard)/interesting itinerary market. The younger demographic will tire of St. Thomas/Cozumel/etc. There will be a market segment that wants smaller ships that don't assault the senses. They'll want to see smaller ports at some point. How many times can you go see the Yoda Guy in St. Maarten? And they want a nice, but casual, setting. But if HAL is forced to compete with all the other mass market lines on price, their quality will continue to slide, and they'll be doomed. Just one casual observer's opinion.

To all the longtime posters on this board, thank you. I've learned volumes about cruising from reading your posts. Happy trails.

I think that a connected cruise ship is a great differentiator. Just as some lines have done well differentiating themselves by food or service, RCI has done well by going big. Add more to ships already known as having more can only help.

This is not only about attracting a certain age of passenger, but it is also about attracting a different passenger. Working vacations will be easy now on a cruise ship. Need to host a webinar or stay connected with clients? No problem.

The possible revenue streams are enormous. Beside the obvious of charging for high speed service, the cruise line can now offer live streaming of world wide events, movies on demand anywhere on the ship and online gaming to anyone, anywhere.

Imagine no longer needing a cabin card? No longer needing a beverage card? No longer waiting in line to have your pic taken? Booking excursions on board using a smart phone or tablet instead of waiting in line. Ordering room service using a tablet. Purchasing jewellery, art, and liquors from the convenience of your cabin.

What puzzles me is that virtually everyone in the U.S. today can: live stream event, get movies on demand, participate in online gaming, and purchase everything under the sun from the convenience of their tablet. If this is the draw, what's the point of doing it from a ship? And attempting to relax by a pool while the guy in the next lounger is hosting a webinar from his tablet is something I don't want to experience and would go to great lengths to avoid.

(I rarely post, so feel free to dismiss this as coming from a barbarian at the gate)

YPNYGuy has hit it on the head, I think. If HAL doesn't innovate and change, they'll die. The passage of time is seeing their prime demographic age out of cruising.

I feel for those who have cruised HAL for decades, and now see it as a pale shadow of its former self. Multi-star Mariners who lament the decline in service, amenities, perks, and elegance that was once a hallmark of HAL. Ironically, it's the popularity of cruising that will likely cause HAL's demise. Cruising has exploded in popularity. People that once thought cruising was for the rich have come to realize it offers great value for money and have gone to sea in droves. HAL has to compete for that business to stay afloat. Which seems to have meant alienating their loyal customers to attract new ones.

Just an observation: look at the marketing material you get from HAL, or most any other mass market line for that matter. How many male guests do you see depicted in a tux? Or even a suit and tie? In the last year or so, in all of marketing we received from HAL, Princess, and Celebrity, (several pieces per line per month) the total was zero. (although I'm sure they have different material for different demographics) You see men with jackets and open collars, but nary a tie among them. The only male I saw shown with a tie was a tour guide on a bus in Alaska. The only marketing material I see with traditional formalwear depicted is from Cunard. Apparently we don't fit Crystal's demographic. I'm not trying to start a (dreaded) formal wear thread, but I think HAL's market research is showing them that new, younger cruisers aren't interested in the formalities of the bygone era. Which is an aspect of cruising the loyal HAL customer tends to love. Changing this one aspect of the cruise experience pushes HAL into being like every other mass market cruise line. They really are caught in a difficult situation. To replace the customers they are losing to age and time, they have to change to appeal to younger, hipper, more casual folks. The younger generations have grown up in a world that is fast paced and casual. Dressing for dinner has never been a part of their lives.

We are also a prime target for the cruise industry. Married professionals in our 40's with no kids. We've taken two HAL cruises, but the last 5 cruises have been Princess (1) and Celebrity (4). We cruise to relax, see some interesting things, and forget about work for a week. RCCL was ok, but I really don't need an ice rink or a climbing wall on my cruise ship. I don't quite "get it". I also don't want to be on a ship with 5000+ other customers. I want the surroundings to be quiet, nicely appointed, and have decent food. I didn't like the constant sales announcements on NCL, so we haven't tried another. But from what I'm reading here, maybe we should give them another try. There were things I really liked about Princess, and we'll likely go back to them. Celebrity AquaClass has been great for us. I like the BLU dining room. Classy and comfortable without the stuffiness. The one Solstice class ship we were on was fantastic. The ships with the "ship within a ship" concept don't interest me. For me it's too much like a Class system, which sort of offends my sensibilities. Yes, AquaClass does have its own dining room, but we still use the same pools, lounges, etc as everyone else. I don't want to feel like I'm less of a customer. It's why we'll probably never sail Cunard.

I'm back looking at the HAL board because we booked a last minute HAL cruise to Alaska for next month. If Celebrity would have had an itinerary that met our requirements, we probably wouldn't have looked at Holland. HAL doesn't hold much appeal for us anymore. I do love the size of HAL ships. I like the art, the food, and the service. One of my favorite sea days of all time was spent walking the hallways on Eurodam, looking at the photos of the golden age of cruising. But (and I'm not trying to start a fight) I dislike the smoking policy on HAL, as I spend a lot of time on my balcony (and have allergic asthma reactions around smoke). It's one of the main reasons we don't sail HAL much. And to be brutally honest, our last HAL cruise in 2010 was like going on vacation with our parents. Every couple we were seated with in the MDR had children our age. They were lovely people, but to a couple, they were all retired. We had nice conversations, but it was like hanging out with our parent's friends at a 50th wedding anniversary party. I'm a night owl and I pretty much had the ship to myself after 11pm.

I think HAL can find a niche, if corporate allows them to. They could corner the small ship(by today's standard)/interesting itinerary market. The younger demographic will tire of St. Thomas/Cozumel/etc. There will be a market segment that wants smaller ships that don't assault the senses. They'll want to see smaller ports at some point. How many times can you go see the Yoda Guy in St. Maarten? And they want a nice, but casual, setting. But if HAL is forced to compete with all the other mass market lines on price, their quality will continue to slide, and they'll be doomed. Just one casual observer's opinion.

To all the longtime posters on this board, thank you. I've learned volumes about cruising from reading your posts. Happy trails.

Lurk less and post more! GREAT post!

Virtually any home can be updated for high speed Internet in a couple of hours. And it is highly likely that Internet speed on all ships will rapidly catch up - at a cost to users.

Some of the other predictions, while highly valid for the bulk of the mass market lines, might not come about if HAL decides to market itself as an alternative to that bulk. I cannot be the only one who would strongly prefer to see HAL keep the large promenade decks which already distinguish their ships - we do not need (nor does every cruiser) want shops and hot dog stands everywhere.

I think the layout of the new build will show us, in just a couple of years, what HAL's thinking is along these lines.

Even as my generation dies off, there is likely to be a sufficient number of traditionalists to fill the smaller ships of the future HAL as the rest of the mass market caters to the flip-flops-on-formal-night future cruisers.

Virtually any home can be updated for high speed Internet in a couple of hours. And it is highly likely that Internet speed on all ships will rapidly catch up - at a cost to users.

Some of the other predictions, while highly valid for the bulk of the mass market lines, might not come about if HAL decides to market itself as an alternative to that bulk. I cannot be the only one who would strongly prefer to see HAL keep the large promenade decks which already distinguish their ships - we do not need (nor does every cruiser) want shops and hot dog stands everywhere.

I think the layout of the new build will show us, in just a couple of years, what HAL's thinking is along these lines.

Even as my generation dies off, there is likely to be a sufficient number of traditionalists to fill the smaller ships of the future HAL as the rest of the mass market caters to the flip-flops-on-formal-night future cruisers.

I think connectivity will be more of an issue for future cruisers than dress code. I actually see dressier clothes making a comeback among my son's age group (last years of college/early employment) -- they are interested in dressing nicer. Perhaps not formal wear on a cruise but smart casual/resort casual rather than shorts and flip flops would be doable for most. On our Celebrity cruise over New Year, the younger set were very dressed up.

Instead of differentiating itself as "traditional" I think HAL would be smarter to focus on itineraries. There's where they have a big edge for folks who may get tired of the "cookie cutter" itineraries of the larger ships (by necessity, since they can only dock at limited ports).

I think a high proportion of a younger demographic would like ships that look more like Celebrity's S-class, have the connectivity they expect, but are smaller and sail itineraries like HAL.

As a senior on the plus side of 65 who bought his first home computer over 30 years ago and has had one or more at home throughout the ensuing years, I can say with confidence that connectivity isn't an issue solely for the young'uns. :) Unfortunately, HAL too may suffer from the illusion that its predominant customer base isn't particularly tech savvy and can "do fine without."

Interestingly, students at his college have developed apps for everything from how to know when a washing machine in your dorm is available without having to go and look, to real-time info on how "on time" the campus buses are running.

A recent study by Nokia found that people check their cell phones about 150 times a day, or about every 6 1/2 minutes during the amount of time they are awake. I find that amazing. My son thinks its amazing that I can go an entire day without checking mine.

Strangely, we had a discussion about this in work today - the name for phone addiction is nomophobia and one of my colleagues guessed that addicts check their phones 40 times a day. She was corrected and informed that it was 400 times a day!!!

That wasn't on HAL. I've seen two Chinese nationals as crew on HAL, both female and both concesionnaires, one was a Steiner (Spa) and the other worked in the shops ;)

Correct - not HAL :) But I'm guessing it will have to happen if cruise lines want to woo Chinese passengers. I don't think existing crew can learn Mandarin or Cantonese very quickly or easily - I know I couldn't:cool:

Correct - not HAL :) But I'm guessing it will have to happen if cruise lines want to woo Chinese passengers. I don't think existing crew can learn Mandarin or Cantonese very quickly or easily - I know I couldn't:cool:

We had a group of 175 Chinese nationals on NODM in APR in the Med, most of which did not speak English. They had their own Mandarin-English interpreters/group leaders with them which worked out well. The only hiccup was an elderly lady in the group wandering off and losing her way in Lucca, Italy. The subsequent (successful) search party and return by the four buses to Livorno delayed the ship's departure by an hour

We had a group of 175 Chinese nationals on NODM in APR in the Med, most of which did not speak English. They had their own Mandarin-English interpreters/group leaders with them which worked out well. The only hiccup was an elderly lady in the group wandering off and losing her way in Lucca, Italy. The subsequent (successful) search party and return by the four buses to Livorno delayed the ship's departure by an hour

We spent a week "post cruise" this January in Hong Kong with friends. I had to smile at the locals perception of mainlander chinese. They refer to them as "locusts" and comment that they travel in "flocks". Watching them for the week I would have to agree. Mainlanders rarely break away from their tour guide, even to the extent that they will not go into a shop next door to one designated by the guide. (Resulting in the comical sight of one store so crowded you cant set foot into it, while the store on either side sits completely empty.)

We spent a week "post cruise" this January in Hong Kong with friends. I had to smile at the locals perception of mainlander chinese. They refer to them as "locusts" and comment that they travel in "flocks". Watching them for the week I would have to agree. Mainlanders rarely break away from their tour guide, even to the extent that they will not go into a shop next door to one designated by the guide. (Resulting in the comical sight of one store so crowded you cant set foot into it, while the store on either side sits completely empty.)

We did a two week land tour of Chinia (just 4 of us) a couple of years ago, visited many cities, 5 regional flights, and two river cruises (Yangtze and Li Rivers). The only time we saw what you mentioned was in Shanghai on the Bund and our guide was explaining that with the higher level on income in China that a lot of people were finally getting to explore their own country. They took as many pictures as I did lol. We found that we were able to converse easily with staff in our hotels and arm waving along with pig latin helped in other circumstances:) We loved mainland China, it is immaculately clean and the hotels and airports were stunning.

As to crowding, OMG nothing was worse than Hong Kong! Walking down Nathan Road was incredible, with people, lights, sights and sound. Stayed at an upscale hotel prior to our cruise from HK to Singapore, and had much difficultly with the language which we thought weird. We assumed that our cruise would have a large majority of Asians but that was not the case. We did have 10 Chinese at our next table each night but found out they were Engineers from Vancouver who hadn't been to HK in over 25 yrs lol. We were back in HK this spring and will be there again in 2015. We love Asia and have cruised there 4 times but we will stay on the ship next time we are in HK as we have done all the sights. And the "gadget" shopping was a disappointment for DH. Beijing and Shanghai more than made up for HK, incredible cities.

As to crowding, OMG nothing was worse than Hong Kong!

Try being there over Chinese New Year! :D Actually we had little to no problem communicating, and as we had "local" guides (Also originally from Vancouver) we spent each evening wandering parts of the city few tourists ever go to. (And eating foods tourists NEVER eat, quite an experience! :eek: )

Like Singapore (end of the cruise) we never felt "uncomfortable", even when in the depths of the local community. Cant say that for Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh city.

But the flocks.... Oh my god we thought we were back at Disney World with the guided tours!