Seattle Space Needle worth it?

metsmom

Seen a few comments that visiting the Space Needle in Seattle is not worth what they charge for the ride to the top. We will be arriving in Seattle next Friday before we board the Grand on Sunday for our Alaskan cruise so we figured we'd do some of the tourist stuff on Saturday. I know people said there were other views that were just as good as the Space Needle in Seattle so just wanted some ideas as what's best to do for our extra day plus we have an extra day at the end of the cruise. Thanks!! :)

going to the Public Market on the corner of Pike and First. Buy some flowers to take on board with you, pet the pig, and watch the flying fish. Have lunch there also if you have time. There is a Starbuck's across the street which displays the original mermaid logo outside -- not all covered up like today's logo is. The Chihuly Museum next to the Space Needle is a good tour if you are into glass works. Most of all, have fun!!

take a cab to the top of Queen Anne hill if the mountain is out. or go for a ride at lake washington....

There's the idea if you want a view.

going to the Public Market on the corner of Pike and First. Buy some flowers to take on board with you, pet the pig, and watch the flying fish. Have lunch there also if you have time. ..........

After the market experience go down to the wharf and have fried clams at Ivar's.

Have a great cruise. :cool:

Seen a few comments that visiting the Space Needle in Seattle is not worth what they charge for the ride to the top. We will be arriving in Seattle next Friday before we board the Grand on Sunday for our Alaskan cruise so we figured we'd do some of the tourist stuff on Saturday. I know people said there were other views that were just as good as the Space Needle in Seattle so just wanted some ideas as what's best to do for our extra day plus we have an extra day at the end of the cruise. Thanks!! :)
Seahawks play San Diego next Friday.

We just got off the Grand Sunday. Had a long wait till flight time. Took the city tour offered through Princess which included the city, market and Space Needle. Ending at the airport. Well worth the cost. Also preferred the Market over the needle. Doubt we will ever be in Seattle again so glad we did the needle.

FYI Board as early as you can so you can lunch in main dining room. Wonderful and few people. I called down to main desk to find location that is open.

If getting off ship in Victoria we took a cab for 1 1/2 tour and saw all the highlites of the city and area. Better price then tour groups offerings at pier.

If your taking the train in Skagway sit on left side of train as it travels. Better viewing during the entire journey. Employees are not allowed to tell when asked. This was our second time with the train and knew.

Can't reply directly about the Space Needle but instead, we opted for the Smith Tower near Pioneer Square. It's is beautiful! The elevators remind you of Old Word money and another era for sure. The Chinese Room on the 35th floor is the crown jewel. The view is wonderful and you can walk around the exterior of the tower on the outside. That's kinda fun and WOW, what a view. Adults are $7.50, kids 6-12 $5.00 and 5 & under are Free.

Thanks so much for the great ideas, also Grandmax, thanks for the hints about the ports! Which DR should we go to if we are able to get onboard the Grand early enough?

Edited by metsmom

We stayed in Seattle for a couple of days. I'd suggest getting a City Pass. It allowed us to go to 5 attractions for a pretty good discount.

If your taking the train in Skagway sit on left side of train as it travels. Better viewing during the entire journey. Employees are not allowed to tell when asked. This was our second time with the train and knew.

Hmmmm... I was on the Skagway train a couple months ago and at the end of the line, we flipped the seats over and then swapped sides so everyone could have a view.

If you are looking for a good view and something relatively new, there is a huge ferris wheel not far from Pikes Market (a must). And I also have to give a several thumbs up to the Chihuly Glass exhibit ..it is outstanding. When you are there you can see how crowded the Space Needle is that day and that may help you make up your mind.

You can take the water taxi from the waterfront over to West Seattle (Alki) for best photo ops of the Seattle Skyline. Go for a walk north to Anchor Park and back, have lunch at Marination Station before taking the water taxi back to the city. On the waterfront you can walk past the ferry dock, stop at Ivars for a cup of chowder, go to the Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe and buy a post card while you look around, keep walking and stop and ride the Big Wheel, see the aquarium, then cross the street and walk up the stairs to the Pike Place Market. That will be a full but wonderful day!

Yes' date=' I think the Space Needle is a great experience if you are not from the Pacific NW.

I loved it![/quote']

My sister lives up in Washington and we enjoyed a nice lunch up in the Space Needle restaurant. The entrance fee is waived when enjoying lunch. I highly recommend this approach if that deal still exists. For the price of a nice lunch (we didn't overindulge and the prices really weren't bad at all), we also were able to go out onto the observation deck -- worth it?? Heck ya!!

If you're interested in pop culture/sci-fi/rock and roll, taking the monorail to the Gehry-designed EMP Museum is really worthwhile. And from there you can always look up at the Space Needle for free.

If the weather is good, consider taking the Duck tour. Does both a land tour of Seattle highlights and then a water tour of Lake Union. Tour guides are a kick. It leaves right by the Space Needle. Highly second the recommendations on a visit to the Chihuly Glass museum. Amazing glass works. In the museum spend a few minutes in the video room to see some of the glass works he has done all over the world.

We were lucky to have a pretty day so we definitely thought the Space Needle was worth it. Also fun to ride the monorail. Don't miss the Chihuly glass exhibit as has already been mentioned. It was fabulous and adjacent to the Space Needle.

Yes, the Space Needle is a bit overpriced, but the views on a clear day are amazing. More importantly, it's an experience that you don't get to do every day. IMHO, going to Seattle and not visiting the Space Needle is like going to Paris and not visiting the Eiffel Tower. Even if it's overpriced, you can put another check mark on your list of world famous landmarks visited :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just got off the Grand Sunday. Had a long wait till flight time. Took the city tour offered through Princess which included the city, market and Space Needle. Ending at the airport. Well worth the cost. Also preferred the Market over the needle. Doubt we will ever be in Seattle again so glad we did the needle.

We have done this tour too. Very good. :)

If it's a sunny day, Space Needle for sure! Would you go to NY and not go up in the Statue of Liberty if you had the chance? When in Rome....Pike Market is fun. Check out the "gum wall" in the alley behind the market. Get the Dungeoness Crab cocktail at any one of the fish mongers there. Watching the fish mongers at the Pike Market (southern end) throw the Salmon around is pretty cool too!

If you have a chance and the time, take the Seattle Underground tour. It's a really fantastic bit of history about Seattle.

Enjoy!

I say skip the space needle (even my 16 and 17 year old thought it was boring) and go see Pioneer Square I believe someone mentioned the smith tower, and there is also an interesting little museum down there with lots of interesting info about the town. The needle is way overpriced.

Edited by sprint180