This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

Continuing to complain isn't going to change HAL's direction in this matter. Get a nicotine patch or gum and enjoy your cruise. I'd do it before you leave home. Who knows, you might enjoy being able to breathe better and how much better things smell and taste. I know I did when I quit.

Continuing to complain isn't going to change HAL's direction in this matter. Get a nicotine patch or gum and enjoy your cruise. I'd do it before you leave home. Who knows, you might enjoy being able to breathe better and how much better things smell and taste. I know I did when I quit.

You may have dropped the smoking habit but you must be staggering under the weight of the attitude you picked up!

Continuing to complain isn't going to change HAL's direction in this matter.
That's probably true, but regardless of the issue, people - especially American consumers - need to express their dissatisfaction in a manner that they can feel may have some impact. We are having the same discussion right now with regard to Princess' MDR menu changes. Folks who are rabid fans of "how things used to be" are doggedly clinging to the assumption that since so many of them are complaining so vociferously and so often on CC that that must necessarily mean that the cruise line assuredly did something wrong and must be directed to apply the remedies they dictate. Well, maybe that's true, or maybe, paralleling what you wrote, continuing to complain isn't going to change the cruise line's direction in this matter. Either way, those folks need to understand the nature of what they're up against (in both cases, overwhelming public sentiment to go in a different, more modern direction), and that the only way that they can confront that is by trying to make a point that trumps standard wisdom, i.e., that the complainers are walking away from the offerings because of the changes while those who aren't complaining would not begrudge the retrograde motion, putting things back the way they were. And that kind of argument can only be made to the cruise line via direct personal connection, through a voice conversation with someone in a position to make or influence the reversal of the change, or through a cavalcade of passengers sending written feedback outside of the standard surveying methods, demanding reversal of the change.

And don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that it is a powerful argument to make (in either case - smoking or MDR menus). It is just that it is the only possibility despite the odds being so poor.

You may have dropped the smoking habit but you must be staggering under the weight of the attitude you picked up!

I'm just saying that when you're faced with an immovable object, beating your head on it won't help. You have to adapt or change. Maybe kicking and screaming, but you have to change or adapt.

Yes Roboref, I was on the Noodam in April for a month and the Oak room was definitely still a smoking room at that time.

There is not likely to be precise accurate info until after the Jan1 changes.

In April balcony smoking was still permitted!

Since this discussion has resumed.....

The US smoking rate has been steadily declining and was 15 per cent in 2015.

Public "smoking areas" are quite rare, smoking has been totally banned for decades in public places. Job sites are mostly smoke free and some employers totally ban it on their campus. Apartment owners have largely banned it. Condo associations are starting to restrict or ban smoking.

Most people don't smoke. But if 20% do that is hundreds on each cruise ship.

As we've discussed before on this thread, it is highly unlikely that major cruise lines with the demographics HAL has will have 20% of their guests on board who smoke. It was pretty much agreed to earlier that the number is around 8%, HAL was probably an exception since they were the only major working the North American market allowing balcony smoking, so many gravitated there from other lines. Of course, that is now ending.

As Sammiedawg points out, the average number of smokers in the US has dropped to about 15% of the total population.

As Sammiedawg points out, the average number of smokers in the US has dropped to about 15% of the total population.
It is important to also understand that this metric obscures some important detail: Americans are 40 percent more likely to smoke if they live below the poverty line. So the percentage of Americans who can afford cruise vacations and are smokers is significantly lower than 15%.

As we've discussed before on this thread, it is highly unlikely that major cruise lines with the demographics HAL has will have 20% of their guests on board who smoke. It was pretty much agreed to earlier that the number is around 8%, HAL was probably an exception since they were the only major working the North American market allowing balcony smoking, so many gravitated there from other lines. Of course, that is now ending.

It's 8.5% for 65 and older. It's 18% for ages 45-64. It's 20% for ages 25-44. For the 18-24 age group, it's 16.7%.

Not sure when it was "pretty much agreed to earlier." The numbers I quoted above are from the US CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/campaign/tips/resources/data/cigarette-smoking-in-united-states.html#by_age

Edited by POA1

Even at a small number, some hundreds of people are looking for the smoking area. Providing a nasty communal astray, no chairs and in high traffic locations as is happening on Princess, just irritates everyone. I have seen a smoking area steps from the aft pool and also on the Promenade deck. It seems as if they welcome all the controversy and ill will!!

Hopefully HAL will remove smokers to a sheltered spot far away and on an upper deck where they will be happy and others undisturbed.

It's 8.5% for 65 and older. It's 18% for ages 45-64. It's 20% for ages 25-44. For the 18-24 age group, it's 16.7%.

That's correct, but the more affluent members of society are, statistically they are less likely to smoke. Therefore, it stands to reason, since HAL guests are generally better off financially than the average in any given age classification, the percentage of HAL smokers pertinent to each classification is less.

Yes Roboref, I was on the Noodam in April for a month and the Oak room was definitely still a smoking room at that time.

I was hoping it was so. Will have to wait till we board, to actually find out. I so want to be able to smoke a cigar indoors.

Oh my goodness, you couldn't be more wrong! I smoked for 40 years (in two separate stints) and completely understand. Quitting smoking is extremely difficult and takes a lot of self discipline, something I have to work on daily. I'll be smoke free (this time) for a year next week.

Congratulations !!! Well done. No easy feat for sure.Hope all is well with you, Best Wishes Colleen

Thnaks for the reply , no help in that thread.

I'm not surprised, as I have frequently found the answers/advice on CC to be inaccurate - some is horribly out of date and some is dead wrong (whether just a bad guess or an intentional misstatement, I don't know).

As such, whenever I really need HAL information, I contact HAL Ship Services or Mariner Society directly. And, if that doesn't get the info I need, I write a letter to the President of HAL - that has never failed me. Be sure to make a copy of whatever written advice you receive from HAL and take it with you on your cruise ... just in case!!!

Smooth sailing ...

Edited by avian777

I hope that this change puts an end to that ridiculously long HAL Smoking discussion that every comment on HAL Smoking "must" be directed to ?

(who made up that rule ? A smoker for sure )

Although we enjoyed HAL , once the other cruise lines upped their restrictions , we jumped ship. Sailing soon on HAL again, sailing from Tampa , our local port .