This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

So how will we find out when HAL finally puts out the "no smoking" announcement. Will it show up as an entry in this thread? I'll check it every day with great anticipation.

I am also looking forward to HAL's no smoking on the balcony announcement. That's when I will start to seriously think about booking the Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam. Have told the HAL Personal Cruise Consultant who sends me e-mails that I won't book until they change the policy but am looking forward to that day. I'll keep checking this board!

I am also looking forward to HAL's no smoking on the balcony announcement. That's when I will start to seriously think about booking the Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam. Have told the HAL Personal Cruise Consultant who sends me e-mails that I won't book until they change the policy but am looking forward to that day. I'll keep checking this board!

We're always so torn about balconies with HAL. When we go to Alaska, we find that there are fewer smokers (younger crowd, maybe?) so we generally book one. However, on our Panama Canal cruise, we hardly used it because we had somkers below and forward of us (a shame since it was my later Grandfather's last vacation with us before he passed so we'd splurged for the balcony).

We have an oceanview on the LP for our upcoming round trip to Lima from San Diego because it's the one deck where you can go outside and not be around smoke (yay!).

That all said, our brand loyalty keeps us coming back, regardless of the stale smoking policies around tobacco use (pun intended). The service is excellent and the itineraries are superb.

I agree with the decision to lump the HAL smoking issue into one thread. I disagree with the presumption one must agree with the OP. My, how many times have we seen just the opposite?

Now, as for lumping subjects into/onto one thread, I don't agree generally it is a good idea, for instance, I certainly have a problem with recent policy regarding "Roll Calls". A cruise may have multiple segments say: A to B, B to C, C to D, you get the drift, but say all the way up to F. Now say you are booked on C to D. The way they now prefer the Roll Calls be used is to lump you into A to F, regardless.

Okay, that might be not so bad if it wasn't for the new business policy of almost all of the majors, call it, "nickel and dimeing", wherein they get you on board for the lowest sticker shock possible and then make up by charging you for almost everything else, other than food and lodging.

Okay too (maybe okay for you but not for me), but back to the "Roll Calls", as a result of the aforementioned, guests don't want to partake in the "shore excursions" offered by the line they book on since they perceive that cost to be excessive. So they undertake efforts to combine with others for cheaper independent shore excursions by using "Roll Call" for endless efforts in negotiating, finding, discussing, paying for, etc, said excursions for each and all port of calls from A to F.

That may by okay as well, but since multiple segments are combined into a single "Roll Call" it soon becomes a laughable "yawn" to use for any informative purpose a "Roll Call, with respect to your particular cruise segment, other than if you want a cheaper deal for the port excursions you happen to book into. Goodbye "Roll Calls", hello "All Inclusive" voyage offerings.

So how will we find out when HAL finally puts out the "no smoking" announcement. Will it show up as an entry in this thread? I'll check it every day with great anticipation.

So do I! When will HAL recognize that we are in the 21st Century?

So do I! When will HAL recognize that we are in the 21st Century?

We are NON-SMOKER'S but don't understand why it's so necessary to insist that smokers STOP Smoking on their balcony's? This to me is just like Prohibition! In most other parts of the world there are many smokers.. U.S. & Canadian Psgrs. are not the only groups who sail HAL.. I'm pleased that HAL compromised by making cabins & the Promenade Deck Non-Smoking..

I may be wrong, but believe it will be a long time before HAL declares that Smokers can't smoke on their balcony's.. HAL has a lot of European, South. American & Asian clients who smoke & spend lots of $$$.. I worked for a European Airline for almost 30 years & my counter-parts in other Countries, never hesitated to spend their $$$..Doubt HAL would want to alienate those lucrative groups..

JMO..

Edited by serendipity1499

We are NON-SMOKER'S but don't understand why it's so necessary to insist that smokers STOP Smoking on their balcony's? This to me is just like Prohibition! In most other parts of the world there are many smokers.. U.S. & Canadian Psgrs. are not the only groups who sail HAL.. I'm pleased that HAL compromised by making cabins & the Promenade Deck Non-Smoking..

I may be wrong, but believe it will be a long time before HAL declares that Smokers can't smoke on their balcony's.. HAL has a lot of European, South. American & Asian clients who smoke & spend lots of $$$.. I worked for a European Airline for almost 30 years & my counter-parts in other Countries, never hesitated to spend their $$$..Doubt HAL would want to alienate those lucrative groups..

JMO..

Just curious - why do you think HAL is so different from other cruise lines, who are all banning smoking on balconies?

And do you think therefore that this will save HAL from failing completely, by attracting the smokers to balconies from other cruise lines that do not allow it?

Serendipity, off the top of my head I could write volumes about the second hand smoke effects on non smoking passengers. I could write volumes about the damage to the physical plant caused by smoking, foremost being the fire risk. Please google cruise ship fires, the Star Princess in particular. I could write volumes about smoking cessation regulations on other cruise lines, hotels, restaurants, bars, apartment complexes, public spaces in general. I could write volumes on employers hiring only no smokers. But I won't, I think we all have read the information before.

Serendipity, you mentioned Europe, funny that you should mention this. We did our first river cruise in June, fifteen days on Viking with a heavy emphasis on Germany. We were on tour with the concierge and a tour guide, our bus was late and they took us to an outdoor cafe and bought us a drink. The German tour guide apologized for the general smokiness, he told us the German government is mortified about the 30 percent smoking rate in a country that may have the worlds dominant economy and a highly educated population. Efforts to curb smoking in Germany are about twenty years behind the US but they are making headway.

Serendipity, off the top of my head I could write volumes about the second hand smoke effects on non smoking passengers. I could write volumes about the damage to the physical plant caused by smoking, foremost being the fire risk. Please google cruise ship fires, the Star Princess in particular. I could write volumes about smoking cessation regulations on other cruise lines, hotels, restaurants, bars, apartment complexes, public spaces in general. I could write volumes on employers hiring only no smokers. But I won't, I think we all have read the information before.

Serendipity, you mentioned Europe, funny that you should mention this. We did our first river cruise in June, fifteen days on Viking with a heavy emphasis on Germany. We were on tour with the concierge and a tour guide, our bus was late and they took us to an outdoor cafe and bought us a drink. The German tour guide apologized for the general smokiness, he told us the German government is mortified about the 30 percent smoking rate in a country that may have the worlds dominant economy and a highly educated population. Efforts to curb smoking in Germany are about twenty years behind the US but they are making headway.

Actually if you could provide a study that replicates the very limited exposure of passengers on a cruise ship balcony to second hand smoke -- which is vastly different from someone constantly exposed in an interior workplace setting where smoking is allowed -- I would be very interested to see exactly what effects are shown, keeping in mind the following:

• Length of exposure -- very limited time span in most cases from one to several weeks out of an otherwise (presumably) smoke-free year.
  • Amount of exposure -- in most cases limited to 1-2 smokers, not an entire bar-room full. Given that the person being exposed has the option of moving away from the smoke, such as going indoors (and that they often report so doing), this will also have to be accounted for.
  • Setting -- outdoors, and not closer to the person being exposed than about 6-8 feet away (possibly farther depending on size of veranda and where the parties are located).
  • Wind conditions -- how much of the smoke expelled from said smoker actually makes it to the vicinity of the person being exposed.

FWIW, the Star Princess fire was never conclusively shown to be the result of smoking. There was no evidence recovered; however, it is considered a "plausible" explanation.

Fires on ships occur far more commonly in galleys, laundries, and engine rooms than as a result of passenger smoking.

(From a non-smoker)

Please remember the intent of this thread. As stated by Host Walt in the very first post when he created this thread:

2. This is a forum for discussions of cruising and associated topics. It is not a forum for discussing the health, economics and public policy aspects of smoking, whether associated with cigarettes, pipes, cigars or controlled substances (marijuana).

3. Discussions of this approach to smoking posts and other board policies are off topic and will be removed.

Please remember the intent of this thread. As stated by Host Walt in the very first post when he created this thread:

2. This is a forum for discussions of cruising and associated topics. It is not a forum for discussing the health, economics and public policy aspects of smoking, whether associated with cigarettes, pipes, cigars or controlled substances (marijuana).

3. Discussions of this approach to smoking posts and other board policies are off topic and will be removed.

Why not triangle the offending comments? I notice you seem to take the roll of moderator on often. I'm sure if triangled they will remove the posts if offensive.

Just curious - why do you think HAL is so different from other cruise lines, who are all banning smoking on balconies?

And do you think therefore that this will save HAL from failing completely, by attracting the smokers to balconies from other cruise lines that do not allow it?

I think a lot of HAL employees smoke. We were on the Eurodam on a collectors cruise and the cabin next to us changed passengers for the second part of the cruise. I watched people that I would see working at the front desk go out on that balcony to smoke. It was almost constant. Fortunately another cabin opened up and we were able to move. Believe me, the smoke just lingers and rolls under the divider between balconies and it drifts into the cabin when the door is open.....just as it drifts from the smoking area outside the Lido into the adjoining area of the Lido. The Lido smoking area I can avoid....I don't want to have to avoid the balcony that I paid a heavy premium to enjoy. Cigarette smoke stinks as well as being unhealthy.

Have you ever found a cigarette butt on your verandah? I have. It came from the cabin above. Luckily it did not fall on the chair cushion. I'm sure the smoker just thought it would fall into the ocean so didn't bother to extinguish it first.

I think a lot of HAL employees smoke. We were on the Eurodam on a collectors cruise and the cabin next to us changed passengers for the second part of the cruise. I watched people that I would see working at the front desk go out on that balcony to smoke. It was almost constant. Fortunately another cabin opened up and we were able to move. Believe me, the smoke just lingers and rolls under the divider between balconies and it drifts into the cabin when the door is open.....just as it drifts from the smoking area outside the Lido into the adjoining area of the Lido. The Lido smoking area I can avoid....I don't want to have to avoid the balcony that I paid a heavy premium to enjoy. Cigarette smoke stinks as well as being unhealthy.

Have you ever found a cigarette butt on your verandah? I have. It came from the cabin above. Luckily it did not fall on the chair cushion. I'm sure the smoker just thought it would fall into the ocean so didn't bother to extinguish it first.

Worse than finding a butt? Setting your breakfast outside, running in to grab your sunglasses, and coming back to see ashes atop your scrambled eggs and floating in your coffee. It's like, use the ash tray or at least look down to see where your soot is going to land.

Worse than finding a butt? Setting your breakfast outside, running in to grab your sunglasses, and coming back to see ashes atop your scrambled eggs and floating in your coffee. It's like, use the ash tray or at least look down to see where your soot is going to land.

Oh my gosh.....I can't imagine. I hope you had a sense of humor about it and headed to the Lido!

You lost me. What's the purpose of this thread? Not to discuss HAL's smoking policy?????

I have been on 42 cruises. Only one on HAL. When they change their policy and have no smoking on the balcony I will return.

Just curious...did you take all of the other 41 cruises after the Smoking Ban on the other Cruise Lines and chose those lines because of their Policy? Or is it that you just prefer another Cruise Line over HAL that you've only sailed on them once?

Please don't take offense because I really am curious as I don't see what other Cruise Lines in your Signature that you have sailed or when you started cruising.

Thanks! :)

Edited by idiebabe

I am a little confused by your comments. HAL made their decision to allow smoking on its balconies years ago, and that decision still stands. What makes you think that HAL is even re-examining this policy at this time? HAL hasn't given any indication that any change in this policy is imminent.

Yes, that decision still stands, but the demographics are changing. An ever-decreasing number of affluent retires continue to smoke. No line's rules are irrevocably carved in stone, and at some point HAL may come to see that they no longer need to cater to a diminishing number of potential passengers. The change may not be imminent, but there is no reason to think that HAL is bound to never change.

It was asked on either this or another topic, and there weren’t very many people responding, but I switched from Royal Caribbean and Celebrity to Holland specifically because of the smoking policy. I also suspect there are a lot more of people like myself who are making this switch.

So, I am a smoker. I'd like to clarify that by saying I don't smoke every day, I am not a heavy smoker. Occasionally I will have one or two cigarettes on my 30 minute commute to work, sometimes I’ll have none. I also enjoy having a cigarette or two, sometimes a cigar, on my balcony on the ship with my wife. If we hear neighbors out and about who are downwind from us, I will casually ask them if the smoke is bothering them. If it is, I'll snuff it out and wait until they go inside. However, if they are rude about it, I may not. More times than not though, my neighbor was lighting up themselves so it was a non-issue. I would also like to say, flicking butts and/or ashes outside of your own ashtray is extremely rude. Neither my wife or I would do this.

While on this subject, I believe we can all live together in peace. I firmly believe all cruise lines can accommodate smoking on their balconies. I know it's been said before, but why can't cruise lines keep the back quarter of the ships balconies as smoking friendly? If I had the option of choosing which cabin I wanted specifically because was allowed on only so many balconies on a ship, I would choose one, even if it is not in a "prime" location. I would even be willing to pay a little more for this cabin. When people make their reservations, a simple "this is a smoking balcony and so are your neighbors" disclaimer should suffice, so those making the reservation can have the choice to NOT book it if it bothers them.

I hope I followed the rules regarding posting on this topic, if not, I am sure a moderator can edit if necessary.

Edited by AACJ

"I am allergic to perfumes. How bad is the perfume smell on the balconies? I am getting a balcony this time. So I wanted to know. If women dose themselves heavily with perfume and then open their balcony doors will that scent waft over to my balcony? I really think people that wear perfume should have more consideration for others. I mean, I do have to breath. People who wear perfume don't consider that someone might have allergies. It's not like cigarette smokers where you can go up to them and say hey be more considerate of others and put your cigarette out. I can't just walk up to people and say: 'Hey, go take a shower'." ;)

"I am allergic to perfumes. How bad is the perfume smell on the balconies? I am getting a balcony this time. So I wanted to know. If women dose themselves heavily with perfume and then open their balcony doors will that scent waft over to my balcony? I really think people that wear perfume should have more consideration for others. I mean, I do have to breath. People who wear perfume don't consider that someone might have allergies. It's not like cigarette smokers where you can go up to them and say hey be more considerate of others and put your cigarette out. I can't just walk up to people and say: 'Hey, go take a shower'." ;)

I wouldn't chance it. I'd stay home

It was asked on either this or another topic, and there weren’t very many people responding, but I switched from Royal Caribbean and Celebrity to Holland specifically because of the smoking policy. I also suspect there are a lot more of people like myself who are making this switch.

I firmly believe all cruise lines can accommodate smoking on their balconies. I know it's been said before, but why can't cruise lines keep the back quarter of the ships balconies as smoking friendly? If I had the option of choosing which cabin I wanted specifically because was allowed on only so many balconies on a ship, I would choose one, even if it is not in a "prime" location. I would even be willing to pay a little more for this cabin. When people make their reservations, a simple "this is a smoking balcony and so are your neighbors" disclaimer should suffice, so those making the reservation can have the choice to NOT book it if it bothers them.

I do strongly agree! I thought at first it might be possible to sell smokers cabins on port side and no smokers on starboard side. That way no one would be bothered by their neighbor's smoking.

And even worse; also electronic cigarettes, who not has any flame and no smell, are been prohibited on private balconies at NCL. I do not understand this. When the Chinese very soon invades the cruise market, so we shall see that policy will be changed back... As we know, customers and dollars are the most important for the shipowners...

Maybe some Chinese shipowners would start a cruise line? :)

I heard that there is a possibility that Holland America may change their smoking on balconies policy to accommodate both groups in the near future.

I asked about it as there seems to be a debate on a recent suggestion that I had made to Holland America earlier this summer.

The response was that they are working on a solution to make everyone happy, non smokers and smokers alike.

soccer