Princess vs Oceania Food

egaowl1

Is there a huge difference in the quality of the food between these two lines. I have been on Oceania multiple times and was very pleased with the food. Will Princess be a big letdown?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I haven't sailed on Oceania, but am a long time Crystal cruiser. Almost everything I read compares Oceania very favorably to Crystal. I have sailed on Princess as recently as 16 months ago. The answer is, yes, you will experience a big difference. Princess just doesn't rate. They don't use the quality ingredients as the more expensive lines. You do get what you pay for!

We have sailed on both lines, and Oceania's menus are derived from Jacques Pepin. The food was very enjoyable.

We just returned from a 32 day cruise on the Golden Princess. The food quality and presentation were very good, but we felt the seasonings were dumbed down for the meat and potato people.

I kidded my wife that if we went on another Princess cruise, she would have to take her spice rack!

When we got to Cabo, we each had 4 fish tacos with salsa! They were fantastic!

I on the other hand have been served inedible food on Oceania. We've left the GDR hungry. That hasn't happened on Princess. The Thanksgiving dinner served on our Oceania cruise was the worst Thanksgiving meal - ever. Considering my mother was a lousy cook, that is saying something. I'm sure the kitchen on Oceania used NO seasonings for that meal. :eek:

I have sailed on both lines numerous times. The food on Princess is very good. The food on Oceania is even better. The specialty restaurants on Oceania are free.

Yes free, But how much more $$ is Oceania than Princess?? (same type of cabin and same cruise )

Edited by we're sailing away....

Yes free' date=' But how much more $$ is Oceania than Princess?? (same type of cabin and same cruise )[/quote']

Nothing is free. You will pay for those "free" specialty restaurant meals in the higher fare they charge.

Edited by boogs

For us even the "free" :rolleyes: specialty restaurants on Oceania weren't better than those on Princess that have the extra charge. I was much happier paying for a good meal in the Princess steakhouse than the poor excuse for a steak that the steakhouse (Polo?) on Oceania served me. There the server told me that I couldn't get my filet prepared 'medium' unless they butterflied it. :eek: I don't remember exactly how our friend wanted her prime rib (med-rare?), but the server said a flat "No". I can't say the food I've had on Princess blew my skirt up, but it certainly didn't leave me completely underwhelmed as the food on Oceania did.

3 cruises on Princess, 3 cruises on Oceania. I have never had inedible food on an Oceania ship, but I had an inedible dish on a Princess ship. Oceania is also better with breakfast options, breads, cheeses, and desserts.

Oceania's food was much better overall than the food on Princess. Oceania's food ranged from very good to excellent. Princess food ranged from just ok to very good. I have also been on 4 HAL cruises where the food ranged from bland to very good.

In my humble experience, Oceania attracts more foodies who appreciate properly prepared food, but they are more critical. HAL attracts people who prefer bland food and the cuisine responds. Princess is sort of in between.

Oceania's food is far superior but they are more expensive. The service on Oceania is also much better than on the Princess line. We recently cruised the Panama Canal using Oceania's Regatta and just came back from an Alaskan cruise on the Coral Princess so I feel I can do a comparison between the two lines.

I never understood the mindset of people who don't see that they pay otherwise in their overall charges.

Actually, we did a side-by-side comparison of HAL, Princess and Celebrity with Oceania for Alaska. With air credit, OBC, value of specialty restaurants and other "freebies", plus two discount refunds (including one after final payment), Oceania was only slightly more expensive for better food and service as well as far fewer passengers. No contest IMHO: Oceania wins hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, we did a side-by-side comparison of HAL, Princess and Celebrity with Oceania for Alaska. With air credit, OBC, value of specialty restaurants and other "freebies", plus two discount refunds (including one after final payment), Oceania was only slightly more expensive for better food and service as well as far fewer passengers. No contest IMHO: Oceania wins hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have seen these large discounts often for Oceania. Makes me wonder if they are having a difficult time filling their ships to cause such big discounts. I don't see the same on other cruise lines. Why does Oceania need to discount so much when the other's don't?

Edited by boogs

I have seen these large discounts often for Oceania. Makes me wonder if they are having a difficult time filling their ships to cause such big discounts. I don't see the same on other cruise lines. Why does Oceania need to discount so much when the other's don't?

what large discounts am I missing something??? :eek:

The 2for 1 is just marketing & free air is not really free

• 8 months later...

Just returned from a 7 day Mexican Rivera Princess cruise. Food was just not good. Whenever we had a good entree I was ecstatic! The Crown Grill waiter made it a point to say, " and for those who don't want meat, our lobster ....." The "surf and turf" was not advertised, and tacitly discouraged.not the case two years ago with Oceania. Breakfast in the Horizon was ok, nothing like the joy that was the Oceania buffet. So, hands down, no comparison. If you are excited by food, choose Oceania.

Now, comparing the cabins... I hated The Oceania closet. It was on the bedroom side of our cabin. On the Crown Princess, it was on the bathroom side and made for a better room configuration and decreased noise level.

Our aft view room on Princess was a far better balcony than a concierge level (and price!!!) room on Oceania.

Entertainment? Princess totally won.. So all in all, it was big ship vs. small ship and it depends on what you value.

Edited by psychrn12
Forgot something

Yes free' date=' But how much more $$ is Oceania than Princess?? (same type of cabin and same cruise )[/quote']

Not as much as you think. Compare bottom line cost (including airfare, which O includes or credits), specialty restaurants and other O inclusions like all non-alcohol beverages) plus O specials on many cruises (e.g., tips, internet, OBC) and TA OBC (significant from O's top producers. We compared O to Princess for last year's Alaska and bottom line was comparable with O having far superior food and service.