"Dynamic dining is going fleetwide"

ryano

I'm glad we'll be able to experience traditional MDR on our upcoming Freedom cruise. I guess our Oasis cruise in 10/15 will (even though we're booked for traditional late seating) be DD. Wondering about my other booked cruises as well; Brilliance this coming January and Liberty in March.

I'm anxious to read feedback here on how DD works out. I have to admit, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Traditional dining on a cruise is something we really look forward to. We enjoy having the same table and waitstaff during our cruise, and for us, part of the relaxation of cruising is being able to show up at the same place, same time. I don't want to have to consult my planner while on vacation. Like a few others have mentioned, this is why we've never been interested in NCL.

Hard to believe they're going to do away with the large, grand, main dining room experience.

Ive read several reports on the Crown and Anchor Facebook page that the hotel director, Michael Rasmussen, is saying Dynamic Dining will be added during the Jan. 2015 drydock.

High ranking officers and Captains HAVE given out false info before though :)

As others have posted, Capt. Olsen and Hotel Director Rasmussen are saying that there will be major changes coming to the dining experience on the Freedom, after her dry dock.

When we want to book a cruise on a ship that has Dynamic Dining, we will give it a try. Right now we're booked through Feb 2016 on ships that have been recently dry docked, so I guess we'll give them time to work out the bugs.

We had an incredible waiter, Mario, last week. He was so attentive and took such good care of us. I'm not happy about a dining arrangement that would take that kind of experience away.

If the move is toward Dynamic Dining then why can't they have one restaurant that features Traditional Dining as an option.

Jonathan

You could do that but you would have to fit three themed restaurants, the all formal every night restaurant, and the traditional restaurant into the currently existing MDR space. It would be a small venue and would only service a small fraction of those currently doing traditional dinning.

Looks like those of us who are booked in Feb. after Drydock may get very short notice about DD or any other change. Booking the new dining will be a nightmare -- they already have problems with Quantum and Anthem. We have 4 FR cruises booked (see signature) with Traditional Late Seating. Was told that early seating (which is VERY popular on FR) for our Feb. 22, 2015 is filled with only one position left on the wait list.

We will give it a try in Feb. but it will take a lot of work to get what we want for our party -- one of whom wants only vegetables -- same thing each night, two who usually only order from alternative menu and me who will try new things.

Likewise, I don't care about having the same service team. I've never cared that the waiter could remember that I like Diet Coke or Iced Tea.

Specifically on this point, this isn't REALLY even an issue for those people who make out like their entire cruise revolves around whether the assistant waiter automatically hands them their preferred drink or asks "Can I get you something to drink?"

A simple 2-second bit of code written into the check-in software could, if it doesn't already, solve this.

Beep! "Thanks Mr. Poncho, Becky here will take you guys to your table."

Becky walks us to the table. Assistant waiter Fo (this sounds like a joke, but we've had TWO different assistant waiters named Fo on different cruise lines!) has a tablet for taking orders, which pops up that Mr. Poncho likes unsweet tea most nights.

Fo: "Mr. Poncho, would you like the usual unsweet tea or something stronger.?"

"Tea would be fine, Fo, sure." (HA! Pun intended!)

Viola! They don't have to remember anything. I know this drives the old school people crazy, but it's true. Technology has evolved to a point where all this data is already collected. It just has to get to the person. It doesn't matter if Fo has never seen me before or never sees me again. The smart system knows I like unsweet tea, so that's all that matters. Fo gets that knowledge and uses it. As does Lisa the next night and Billy the night after that and Greta the night after that.

My parents used to be regulars at an upscale restaurant. We were all treated like royalty. The wait staff all remembered that my parents drank their coffee black, while my wife took cream, and I drank Earl Gray tea. They also knew for beef, that my father liked his medium, while everyone else liked theirs medium well. I could go on and on.

This is one reason why people like having dinner in the MDR. The wait staff treats people like regulars in an upscale restaurant. A couple of years ago on the Jewel, by the third night, our assistant waiter was even asking if I wanted coffee. He just brought a tea pot and an Earl Gray tea bag with the coffee service.

I like that kind of attention.

Like my comment above, this has all been replaced by data storage. I agree that it's nice when someone remembers you and what you like, but you rely on them remembering. I regularly visit a quick service restaurant near my work. They have one item that I love and I order it a special way every time I visit (probably 3 Fridays a month) and over time they've come to know me. If someone I know is behind the counter, they have my food started before I get up there. That's fun. HOWEVER, sometimes because I'm relying on their memory it doesn't get made exactly right or they stop and say "Now... what do you want on that?" If I walked in and tapped a loyalty card and it popped up that I *always* order _____, then they wouldn't even have to remember.

Automation, while sometimes creepy and scary, is remarkably efficient.

Don't think those who prefer Traditional Dining are in the minority. For example, Freedom of the Seas has 2 decks including deck 3 (which is the largest) for traditional and one deck for My Time. People are always lined up on Day 1 to get traditional (generally early seating for the mid-Florida demographic).

On this forum, no. In real life, yes.

The proof is in the pudding. MTD used to be a small corner of one floor of the MDR. Then it was 1/4 of the floor, then half, then an entire floor.

While I can appreciate that people who love traditional dining certainly exist, they are a shrinking number and not growing in number.

You would think reading these forums that everyone on a cruise ship dresses like the movie Titanic for dining and those ballroom classes you find on Groupon will make you the main feature in the nightclubs and 90% of the guests are rabid smokers who tip in multiple $100 bills.

The reality is there is a subset of people that is true for, but the general tide of cruising is moving away from those things and moving to having more options.

They don't make these major changes without feeling the pulse of the customer base. If the tide wasn't shifting, they wouldn't bother. It doesn't save them any money.

Like my comment above, this has all been replaced by data storage. I agree that it's nice when someone remembers you and what you like, but you rely on them remembering. I regularly visit a quick service restaurant near my work. They have one item that I love and I order it a special way every time I visit (probably 3 Fridays a month) and over time they've come to know me. If someone I know is behind the counter, they have my food started before I get up there. That's fun. HOWEVER, sometimes because I'm relying on their memory it doesn't get made exactly right or they stop and say "Now... what do you want on that?" If I walked in and tapped a loyalty card and it popped up that I *always* order _____, then they wouldn't even have to remember.

Automation, while sometimes creepy and scary, is remarkably efficient.

On this forum, no. In real life, yes.

The proof is in the pudding. MTD used to be a small corner of one floor of the MDR. Then it was 1/4 of the floor, then half, then an entire floor.

While I can appreciate that people who love traditional dining certainly exist, they are a shrinking number and not growing in number.

You would think reading these forums that everyone on a cruise ship dresses like the movie Titanic for dining and those ballroom classes you find on Groupon will make you the main feature in the nightclubs and 90% of the guests are rabid smokers who tip in multiple $100 bills.

The reality is there is a subset of people that is true for, but the general tide of cruising is moving away from those things and moving to having more options.

They don't make these major changes without feeling the pulse of the customer base. If the tide wasn't shifting, they wouldn't bother. It doesn't save them any money.

A couple of points:

1. I checked dinner seatings for our upcoming FR sailings last week. For 2-22-2014 -- Main seating was booked with only one waitlist position open. (We are traditional late)

-- Main Seating is very popular on FR even at 5:30 PM.

2. I have read that having to prepare the same meal in a dedicated kitchen for Dynamic Dining will save RCI money.

If they have to change FR to put in DD, I hope they include a My Time Dining deck with rotating menus on one deck of the FR dining room, it will be easier for us to book our reservations with the same table and same waiters. We would probably probably not have a problem getting the same table and waiters at 8 PM or later. We did My Time last January at 7:30 PM to accomodate folks who wanted an earlier dining time and the dining room really emptied out around 8 PM. Demographics of FR -- especially in winter.

Edited by SherriZ366

Dining in the MDR at a set time removes the necessity of group members agreeing to-what time and which restaurant for dinner. I was on Breakaway,made a reservation and schedule each night,then it fell apart.

Only 3 couples in my group, somebody took a late nap, we missed reservation while waiting for him. Shore excursion,back late, missed reservation. When that happened we went to the buffet for dinner, after 3 days of dinner in buffet, it became, if you show up-great,if not we are going in on time. I was not happy,I expected to eat together,didn't happen.

The set time of the MDR took away the reservation hassle and getting everyone there on time. I prefer set time dining, but change is coming, we have no choice.

[quote name='SherriZ366']A couple of points:
1. I checked dinner seatings for our upcoming FR sailings last week. For 2-22-2014 -- Main seating was booked with only one waitlist position open. (We are traditional late)
-- Main Seating is very popular on FR even at 5:30 PM.
2. I have read that having to prepare the same meal in a dedicated kitchen for Dynamic Dining will save RCI money.

If they have to change FR to put in DD, I hope they include a My Time Dining deck with rotating menus on one deck of the FR dining room, it will be easier for us to book our reservations with the same table and same waiters. We would probably probably not have a problem getting the same table and waiters at 8 PM or later. We did My Time last January at 7:30 PM to accomodate folks who wanted an earlier dining time and the dining room really emptied out around 8 PM. Demographics of FR -- especially in winter.[/QUOTE]

Including a MTD deck would be perfect for me. Yes, a Traditional Dinner would be easier, but it would be possible to do that if there was a MTD area. I really hope they have one deck with a rotating menu where traditionalists can at least make reservations to have the same table/waitstaff. I know that there are fewer and fewer people who prefer Traditional dining, but I have a hard time believing Royal will leave them with absolutely no option to have a traditional experience (on the older ships at least).

[quote name='RocketMan275']You could do that but you would have to fit three themed restaurants, the all formal every night restaurant, and the traditional restaurant into the currently existing MDR space. It would be a small venue and would only service a small fraction of those currently doing traditional dinning.[/QUOTE]

That's okay. Let RCCL see that Traditional Dining is still a popular option and to keep it in the fold. Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

[quote name='ma40']Dining in the MDR at a set time removes the necessity of group members agreeing to-what time and which restaurant for dinner. I was on Breakaway,made a reservation and schedule each night,then it fell apart.

Only 3 couples in my group, somebody took a late nap, we missed reservation while waiting for him. Shore excursion,back late, missed reservation. When that happened we went to the buffet for dinner, after 3 days of dinner in buffet, it became, if you show up-great,if not we are going in on time. I was not happy,I expected to eat together,didn't happen.

The set time of the MDR took away the reservation hassle and getting everyone there on time. I prefer set time dining, but change is coming, we have no choice.[/QUOTE]People's experiences on NCL ships probably are a good indication of some of the problems with DD.

[quote name='OfTheSeasCruiser']Including a MTD deck would be perfect for me. Yes, a Traditional Dinner would be easier, but it would be possible to do that if there was a MTD area. I really hope they have one deck with a rotating menu where traditionalists can at least make reservations to have the same table/waitstaff. I know that there are fewer and fewer people who prefer Traditional dining, but I have a hard time believing Royal will leave them with absolutely no option to have a traditional experience (on the older ships at least).[/QUOTE]I do know Traditional (especially early seating) is popular on FR (which from my signature, you can see is our preferred ship) especially during the non-summer months. Summer sailings get more families. But having said that, there are some special features of regular My Time (not DD) that would appeal to families like the program that groups families in one area, serves the kids quicker and has Ocean Adventure staffers come to the dining room to take the kids out leaving the parents to have dessert and coffee in a leisurely setting. I don't think this could be replicated in DD. We are traditional late folks as are DD and SIL but they would be interested in doing this type of program with their triplet boys (now 2 1/2).

[quote name='OfTheSeasCruiser']I think that would be the perfect solution. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Its just not worth from a business perspective to manage two different types of dining; a cruise does not have to be all things to all people, if they dont like the direction Holland and Carnival can serve them, but i think based off the breeze ship Carnival is going into that direction pretty soon too.

Our cruise TA is holding an Oasis booking for us for November 2015. She couldn't do Traditional Dining, only My Time. Probably because it's so far away that they don't have it in the system yet. I'm intrigued by it, especially since Oasis class (and eventually Quantum) are such different experiences. It would be nice for Royal to keep Traditional as an option on Voyager, Vision and Radiance class ships. Gives all types of cruisers some options.

[quote name='wolfganghowell']Our cruise TA is holding an Oasis booking for us for November 2015. She couldn't do Traditional Dining, only My Time. Probably because it's so far away that they don't have it in the system yet. I'm intrigued by it, especially since Oasis class (and eventually Quantum) are such different experiences. It would be nice for Royal to keep Traditional as an option on Voyager, Vision and Radiance class ships. Gives all types of cruisers some options.[/QUOTE]I'm booked in Traditional Late for 1-10-2016 on FR. But I'm reading about lots of folks only being able to book My Time on a variety of ships.

I hope like you that RCI keeps the Freedom, Voyager, Vision and Radiance class ships dining as a combo of My Time and Traditional. Edited by SherriZ366

[quote name='SherriZ366']I do know Traditional (especially early seating) is popular on FR (which from my signature, you can see is our preferred ship) especially during the non-summer months. Summer sailings get more families. But having said that, there are some special features of regular My Time (not DD) that would appeal to families like the program that groups families in one area, serves the kids quicker and has Ocean Adventure staffers come to the dining room to take the kids out leaving the parents to have dessert and coffee in a leisurely setting. I don't think this could be replicated in DD. We are traditional late folks as are DD and SIL but they would be interested in doing this type of program with their triplet boys (now 2 1/2).[/QUOTE]

On our recent cruise on the Radiance, the early seating was completely full. When we were going in the MDR to check our table, we heard a man talking to the Maitre'D about how his family had been split up to two different tables far away from each other. The Maitre'D said he was very sorry, but there were simply no other tables to put the group.

[quote name='OfTheSeasCruiser']On our recent cruise on the Radiance, the early seating was completely full. When we were going in the MDR to check our table, we heard a man talking to the Maitre'D about how his family had been split up to two different tables far away from each other. The Maitre'D said he was very sorry, but there were simply no other tables to put the group.[/QUOTE]As my anecdotal observances suggest, early seating is "hot." When did you sail?

We like early seating being "hot" as it means we have no trouble getting late seating. Edited by SherriZ366