Price Drops after Final Payment-How Soon

iancal

We have not been on RCI for a while but there is now a cruise that fits our schedule. Final payment is within the next day or so and I know that there are many empty cabins-but don't know how many X gtys there are in the pile.

So, assuming the booking are light, are there any people out there who follow RCI and the pricing routines who can take an educated guess as to how soon after final payment (75 days in this case) they typically start to drop? Or is it a complete crap shoot as we find it on Celebrity. Just found out our Celebrity status is honored so that is a plus.

Looking forward to RCI...last one was Legend in 1998! We have had lots of cruises since then...just never made it back to RCI. Thanks

You are correct, compete crap shoot. No discernable pattern.

Yep! Kind of like airline ticket prices.....

An "educated guess" is impossible. Too many variables - different ships, schedules, ports, demand, etc etc etc..........

Edited by bouhunter

My rule of thumb after final payment is based on how much I paid for my deposit, and how much obc I might lose, versus how much I will save from 74 to 57 days before the cruise (or whatever your invoice says for that first Cancellation Schedule line).

I have had price drops (before final payment) that saved me $900. If this happened after final payment, and I was losing a total of $400 in deposit and obc by cancelling during the first time period after final payment, I'd go for it. I'm saving $500.

If I rebook, I switch the 1st and 2nd passengers in the cabin so the booking is in another name for Guest #1.

I've also done this when there is a great sale going after I booked, but before final payment, and it's for new bookings only. The "new" 1st passenger is considered a new booking.

Edited by pcur

Our final payment was due a couple of weeks ago... Prices have started dropping like crazy in the last few days... Hope that helps....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Are those deals crazy or what???

Just received one for $299 - 7 nights to the caribbean. Unbelievable!

It is a total crap shoot and I have been watching for a pattern. No pattern found. Sometimes the prices go UP!!!!

Depends on what cabins & how many are left... If it's close to selling out, prices go up... If it's not full, they (may) go down - slightly....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

While a lot depends on vacancy rates in different categories, I'd say start looking everyday around the 60 day mark. If you look at the Tuesday Specials, they rarely go out more than 60 days. The amount of the drop totally depends on availability. A very good predictor of future prices is historical price patterns - there's a web site on which you can look up last year's prices. Along with prices look at inventory everyday at RCI's UK site - it has the best inventory. Don't jump at the first price drop, especially if it's a small one - a bigger one is likely coming next. If inventory is still not going down by 30 days out, you'll likely see really big discounts. As Clint Eastwood says: Do you feel lucky?:cool: