Halloween on a Holland Ship

tgetz

For those of you that have been onboard at Halloween, what, in your experience, does the ship do about Halloween. DO they usually have many that put on costumes? Do they have a party? Anything?Any info appreciated. we have been on board for Christmas and New Years and they seemed to go all out..

We will be on a rather long for us, 58 day, cruise that encompasses Halloween so I thought it would be fun to take a costume but then I thought would we be the only ones? Looks like others will dress up, too. I had thought about giving a Halloween 'party' in or cabin, but then I thought, the ship might have one and that would be more fun. Thanks for all of you all's answers and photos ,too. it seems it might vary by ship. I am guessing by cruise director. Some like to dress up, others don't.

We will be on a rather long for us, 58 day, cruise that encompasses Halloween so I thought it would be fun to take a costume but then I thought would we be the only ones? Looks like others will dress up, too. I had thought about giving a Halloween 'party' in or cabin, but then I thought, the ship might have one and that would be more fun. Thanks for all of you all's answers and photos ,too. it seems it might vary by ship. I am guessing by cruise director. Some like to dress up, others don't.

I am thinking your cruises is one made up of segments, so it might or might not make a big deal of Halloween. Depends on who is on board and if they want to do much or not (standard HAL franchise behaviour, every ship does its own thing)

On a Pacific Rim cruise we had decorations, lots of staff in costumes, a big party in the CN and several pax in elaborate costumes, lots with partial costumes. It was a fun evening!

Yes this is one has many segments from Vancouver to Sydney, and you can board in Vancouver or LA, or Sydney or many other ports in Australia as we circumvent Australia.

I generally think of the Australians as mostly fun loving, so it should be fun.

Interesting. That is great information. I thought I had read that you did. So maybe a goodly portion of our cruise will not participate even if they do have a party. Thanks

They will join in any party that is going - they won't care what it is about though.

School children are taught by their teachers about Halloween and some of their parents let them knock on doors for treats but they very rarely get anything because nobody knows what Halloween is all about and therefore have nothing to give them.

I just did a Google on Australians and Halloween. It was actually sort of funny. Some were just flat against it saying kids shouldn't go begging. Others were more flexible saying while they wouldn't, it was cute to see the kids in costume. Some said kids learn about their neighbors and that is good. . Some said kids shouldn't eat candy. Others said one day a year is fine. Some said you can do it, but just don't come to my door. others thought it was a great excuse for a party. Some said it was an American holiday and Australians, should not participate. Others said it was an Irish custom and Americans and Australians actually all come form the UK. Some said it was a Christian holiday and others said it was a pagan holiday.

It reminded me of the cruise critic boards on smoking or formal wear.

People are all different. :-)

We were on the Eurodam last Halloween. It was a 21- day Canada and New England itinerary. There were SO MANY people who dressed up. They had a costume parade and contest and a party in the Queens Lounge with the band. I was amazed at how many people brought costumes on the cruise. And there were some fantastic costumes! We didn't bring anything, but ended up buying clown noses and wigs in town at one of the ports just so we could participate. It was a lot of fun. We had a great cruise director, too!

Debbie

It will vary by ship and itinerary.

We have been on ships when Halloween fell on a formal night -- very few dressed in costumes -- not party.

On another ship -- there was a pub crawl that ended in the Northern Lights -- that was where there was a small Halloween party.

Some other ships -- not much of anything. One time we got to vote on the crew member who did the best carving of a pumpkin.

They will join in any party that is going - they won't care what it is about though.

School children are taught by their teachers about Halloween and some of their parents let them knock on doors for treats but they very rarely get anything because nobody knows what Halloween is all about and therefore have nothing to give them.

It's the same here, unknown children from the other side of town come door knocking, begging for sweets, I ask them to tell me what Halloween is about,....... they have absolutely no idea.

One child told me I had to give him sweets.

Retailers are the people most interested in Halloween.

End of November is towards the end of the spring "down under".

Edited by erewhon

Am I the only one who read this thread and wondered when there was going to be a big flare up about wasting valuable luggage space on costumes, or about how fancy dress parties are "so 1934"? :D

Am I the only one who read this thread and wondered when there was going to be a big flare up about wasting valuable luggage space on costumes, or about how fancy dress parties are "so 1934"? :D

How about :rolleyes: "this is my vacation and I should be able to dress as I wish. I will be mad if they don't let me in the MDR without costume. I will switch cruise lines if I have to avoid public areas when not in costume. I hate Halloween and this should not be forced upon me!"

I didn't realize all the potential when I started this thread. Silly me.... But seriously, thanks everyone for your responses. It is so nice to get answers on this website..... even if I don't agree with them, or plan to participate or or :-)

It just depends on if the cruise director is in to it. :D

I agree, it was great fun when the Cruise Director was an Aussie. On Melbourne Cup Day everyone was encouraged to "dress up", ladies with fascinators please. There were all sorts of activities and parties and we got TV coverage of the race.

For those of you that have been onboard at Halloween, what, in your experience, does the ship do about Halloween. DO they usually have many that put on costumes? Do they have a party? Anything?Any info appreciated. we have been on board for Christmas and New Years and they seemed to go all out..

There will be many onboard dressed as senior citizens. Party ends around 5:30 pm so they can go to bed.