Medication and time zone changes

t60

How do you manage your medication when tou travel to a different time zone, not just an hour forward or back, but say 5hrs or more?

Sandy in Spain

Of course, it's always best to ask your doctor, especially if it's a serious condition. I'll give you two examples, hypothyroid medication and birth control pills.

Thyroid medication is supposed to be taken, for most people, in the morning and on an empty stomach--an hour before eating or drinking anything (besides water). I continue to do this when I'm on a cruise and when I'm traveling. Every "morning" wherever I am, I take them.

Birth control pills are supposed to be kept consistent throughout the month, so I take them every 24 hours, regardless of time zone. If I take them at 6 pm in Phoenix, I'd take them at 9pm in New York or 10 am in Tokyo. If the time zones were very inconvenient, I'd change it by a few hours, but would take care that, when I arrived home, I wouldn't have missed any.

Medications are tricky because doctors and nurses give you directions based not just on how much should be in your blood stream at a given time, but on whether it's best to take them before bed or when you get up, what time of day you exercise, what other medications you take, and if any can cause side effects that are better managed in one way or another.

Whatever choice you make, it's probably best to ask your doctor before just taking a guess. There are just so many variables…

Good Luck!

My prescription meds are typically once a day or twice a day. Regardless of time zone I still take them as prescribed, ignoring the time zone difference, going by the number of hours from previous dose.

If I take my twice a day heart med at 8AM CST and fly to PST I am still going to take it 12 hours from the first dose, or as close to that as possible, so second dose would be 6PM.

For International travel I try to keep it as close to dosage instructions as possible.

Of course consult your doctor for her/his suggestion. There are so many variables, it's definitely not a one (or a dozen) opinions fit all.

Edited by SPacificbound

How do you manage your medication when tou travel to a different time zone, not just an hour forward or back, but say 5hrs or more?

Sandy in Spain

On a cruise the time zone changes are made an hour at a time, usually once per day, so no problem. On international flights, hubby takes his pills at home time during the flight, then after landing uses the time in arrival country.

I leave my watch set on my home time for the first few day & take my meds (twice per day)at the same time I would at home

A lady we met on one cruise had to take meds at the same time each day so she had a watch with an alarm on it set to the time she took them at home

Ask your pharmacist; we are the drug experts (most of us hold doctorate degrees) and are well-trained to answer questions exactly like this, specific for your health conditions and meds.

Edited by DonnaK

Most meds are not going to be of issue but certain flights could easily turn morning dose into evening

Again talk to your doctor

Time differences on cruises go one hour at a time so may be more of an issue for you to keep regular on strict time meds

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ask your pharmacist; we are the drug experts (most of us hold doctorate degrees) and are well-trained to answer questions exactly like this, specific for your health conditions and meds.

Thanks for your post.

I can never figure out why Pharmacists are so 'under consulted'. Pharmacists often/usually know more about specific formularies and medications than the majority of doctors. I've been so fortunate to have a few local pharmacists who are immensely able and so willing to help with any and all questions.

Thanks for the work you do. Sometimes you are not appreciated enough IMO

I really need to question the validity of your statement "most of us hold doctorate degrees."

Scott & Karen

I really need to question the validity of your statement "most of us hold doctorate degrees."

Scott & Karen

In the US this is true! Pharmacist hold a Doctorate in Pharmacy, basically 4 yrs of med school. Now there are pharm techs who have little or no formal education but Must be supervised by a licensed Pharmacist.

The requirement for a Doctorate was not the case years ago....

General Pharmacist Education Requirements

Almost all accredited colleges and universities that offer a professional pharmacy education program requires students to complete a two-year pre-pharmacy educational track, followed by up to six years of training towards the doctorate degree. Some students are able to complete their Pharm.D. pharmacy education requirements within three years after their pre-pharmacy program, but others need up to six years or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

Scott & Karen

Question away. I am not only a pharmacist in my mid-50s, but also a professor of pharmacy at a prestigious pharmacy college.

For the past 15-20 years (depending upon the state - it was a gradual roll out), a Doctor of Pharmacy degree (6-7 years, depending upon the state) is required in order to practice pharmacy in the United States. Lots of new graduates continue their education in an additional 1-2 year residency or fellowship. It is an intense program of study.

Also, many people with the older 5 year Bachelor's degree have gone back to school to "upgrade" their degree too. There are some "old-timers" still in practice who do not hold the Doctorate, but they have over 35-40 years of clinical experience under their belt.

Returning to the original question, your pharmacist is your BEST resource for drug information. They know the kinetics of the medication you are taking and how the metabolism of the drug will vary depending on the time you take it, and how that will affect your medical condition.

Edited by DonnaK

Thanks for your post.

I can never figure out why Pharmacists are so 'under consulted'. Pharmacists often/usually know more about specific formularies and medications than the majority of doctors. I've been so fortunate to have a few local pharmacists who are immensely able and so willing to help with any and all questions.

Thanks for the work you do. Sometimes you are not appreciated enough IMO

In the US this is true! Pharmacist hold a Doctorate in Pharmacy, basically 4 yrs of med school. Now there are pharm techs who have little or no formal education but Must be supervised by a licensed Pharmacist.

The requirement for a Doctorate was not the case years ago....

General Pharmacist Education Requirements

Almost all accredited colleges and universities that offer a professional pharmacy education program requires students to complete a two-year pre-pharmacy educational track, followed by up to six years of training towards the doctorate degree. Some students are able to complete their Pharm.D. pharmacy education requirements within three years after their pre-pharmacy program, but others need up to six years or more.

Thank you!

It is always the highlight of our days to be able to answer questions such as the one the OP posted in order to give our patients practical advice concerning their meds, and optimizing their medication therapy.

Scott & Karen

Why?

Pharmacists know much more about drugs than most doctors. The docs usually get their drug info from drug reps who visit their office, bearing gifts, to push their companies' products.

If it's something like "take once every 8 hours", just count the hours from the last time you took it rather then looking at the time on the face of a clock.

Edited by marco

Question away. I am not only a pharmacist in my mid-50s, but also a professor of pharmacy at a prestigious pharmacy college.

For the past 15-20 years (depending upon the state - it was a gradual roll out), a Doctor of Pharmacy degree (6-7 years, depending upon the state) is required in order to practice pharmacy in the United States. Lots of new graduates continue their education in an additional 1-2 year residency or fellowship. It is an intense program of study.

Also, many people with the older 5 year Bachelor's degree have gone back to school to "upgrade" their degree too. There are some "old-timers" still in practice who do not hold the Doctorate, but they have over 35-40 years of clinical experience under their belt.

Returning to the original question, your pharmacist is your BEST resource for drug information. They know the kinetics of the medication you are taking and how the metabolism of the drug will vary depending on the time you take it, and how that will affect your medical condition.

Am I correct to say that pharmacy school is a 4 year program . . . BA/BS degree holders from no pharmacy programs will typically complete 4 years post grad? For those considering pharmacy, it pays to decide early. ;)

So true! A Licensed Pharmacist for quick completely accurate information on drugs is the way to go! :)

LuLu

Scott & Karen

In order to be a military pharmacist or a civilian working in a military hospital you are required to have the Doctorate. I know lots of them as I need to consult them frequently and they all get to be called Doctor

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Why?

Pharmacists know much more about drugs than most doctors. The docs usually get their drug info from drug reps who visit their office, bearing gifts, to push their companies' products.

As a physician I would be the first to suggest that your pharmacist would be the best person to talk to about the administration of drugs.

However, I do take issue (and a little offence) at the picture drawn of doctors. I am sure that the situation is not vastly different in the US than in Europe. We study pharmacology extensively (but not as extensively as pharmacists, I agree) during our medical training and we have a legal and ethical responsibility to keep up to date on new medication, new information about established drugs and prescribing patterns. In Europe the role of the drug rep in providing pharmaceutical information to medical practitioners is declining so rapidly as to be virtually insignificant. Even if US doctors have more contact (I do not know if this is so) they will also be receiving more credible updates in the course of their CPD (continuing professional development) and everyday reading.

In order to be a military pharmacist or a civilian working in a military hospital you are required to have the Doctorate. I know lots of them as I need to consult them frequently and they all get to be called Doctor

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do all the physicians (MD/DO) in your hospital address the clinical pharmacists as "doctor?" DD and her Pharming friends have run into more than a couple who chaffed at using "Doctor" to them.

Things re pharmacists are different in Canada. My daughter in law is a pharmacist with a BSc and four years of Pharmacy school. Her pharmacy degree is technically still a bachelor degree. I think the training and its intensity are similar.

I have an iPhone app that helps me with this issue. I also have a watch that shows two time zones at once (home and away). Long ago my pharmacist suggested keeping a log book. I now do that on my iPhone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app