Feel let down by RCI

sue999

We have 2 cruises booked for 2015 .
We booked Allure for June next year for my husband myself son and girlfriend.
We are diamond members so thought we knew about booking best deals etc.
We have also booked for Anthem in April next year.
Very excited about both cruises but....

When booking these on board we where told that there would be no big promotions advertised due to the first year in Europe of both ships

Now I find that 2 weeks after I booked ,July 14th. a huge promo is ongoing for both of these ships,started 1st Aug.

RCI are now offering free gratuities, free drinks package and up to $200 on board credit.
To be fair, we did get offered free transport to Southampton until they realised we lived 250 miles away then advised us it would be £161 !

To make matters worse, this these all inclusive packages appear to be everywhere we look!

We have contacted RCI and their only suggestion was to cancel both cruises forfeiting £900 in deposits.
Apparently as we are not American we would automatically loose our deposit on cancelling or rescheduling, which again appears to be very unfair to the point of discrimination for being British.

I could understand promos if the ship was nearly to sailing time but 9 and 11 months away???

I know of 2 couples who are going on Anthem, both first time cruisers and paying less then us ,even with our diamond discount:(

I just felt I had to vent my disappointment , especially as I did ask on board.
Oh well, suppose I will put it down to experience but it has left rather a bitter after taste.

Did not the UK/EU make the no refunds rules. You have all the extra protections yet when it bites you you complain. Maybe I'm incorrect but I don't call this discrimination. I'll go & get my fire-suit on now. Edited by FLACRUISER99

You seem to be like us................we book then some kind of perk comes along.

After 7 cruises for me, I have now been able to look beyond what I am missing, but yet look at what new opportunities will be waiting.

Oh, I still watch for price reductions.
And cash in on them when I am able.

Sea Ya

[quote name='FLACRUISER99']Did not the UK/EU make the no refunds rules. You have all the extra protections yet when it bites you you complain. Maybe I'm incorrect but I don't call this discrimination. I'll go & get my fire-suit on now.[/QUOTE]What extra protection?

It's like anything you purchase..... caveat emptor..... buyer beware.... sales are attributable to anything you can buy and it's very unfortunate that the advice you were given was ill informed; you would expect the LA on board to have advised you differently. Suggest you watch for price drops and take advantage of them. There is always a risk when purchasing so far out that the price will fluctuate. Empathising.

[quote name='FLACRUISER99']Did not the UK/EU make the no refunds rules. You have all the extra protections yet when it bites you you complain. Maybe I'm incorrect but I don't call this discrimination. I'll go & get my fire-suit on now.[/quote]

The British consumer has been screwed for years, not just for cruises. Edited by pspercy

[quote name='leisuretraveler223']Did they give you that promise about no specials coming up in writing? Or did you actually take the world of the SALESPERSON who makes a living getting people to buy cruises on board? Of COURSE they're going to tell you they have the best deal. If you wait, they lose![/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I believed the Loyalty Ambassador on board the ship when she told us,didn't get it in writing .
Like I said We will put it down to experience.
At least we are lucky enough to be able to cruise :)

[quote name='sue999']Unfortunately I believed the Loyalty Ambassador on board the ship when she told us,didn't get it in writing .
At least we are lucky enough to be able to cruise :)[/QUOTE]

I think one of the more brilliant moves by RCI is to call their salespeople "Loyalty Ambassador". People actually believe that person is there to reward their loyalty with special treatment. Nope, sorry, just a high pressure salesperson good at closing the deal...

I would love to see what extra protection us UK residents get for our Cruises!

I am really starting to resent the way that our prices are high anyway compared to US for the same cruise and then they bring in price slashing which they know we can't take advantage of.

As a family who travel with children in a separate cabin we have to book early to endure that we can get cabins close enough together to pass RCIs rules. Last year we tried booking later and were turned down as they hadn't got cabins within 1 door of each other.

[quote name='sue999']When booking these on board we where told that there would be no big promotions advertised due to the first year in Europe of both ships
[/QUOTE] I'm sorry but there is no way any sales person/TA would know that sort of information so I'm afraid that is a big fat porkie.....said just to secure the sale. The only people privy to that sort of info would be the marketing people at RCI and they keep that sort of info very close to their chests.

[quote name='Meggysmum']I would love to see what extra protection us UK residents get for our Cruises!

I am really starting to resent the way that our prices are high anyway compared to US for the same cruise and then they bring in price slashing which they know we can't take advantage of.

As a family who travel with children in a separate cabin we have to book early to endure that we can get cabins close enough together to pass RCIs rules. Last year we tried booking later and were turned down as they hadn't got cabins within 1 door of each other.[/QUOTE]

I would also like to know what extra protection UK cruisers get, I haven't seen any yet, hopefully the person who posted and informed me of this it will enlighten us . I for one would love to know!

I have to agree on the higher prices too.

[quote name='little britain']I'm sorry but there is no way any sales person/TA would know that sort of information so I'm afraid that is a big fat porkie.....said just to secure the sale. The only people privy to that sort of info would be the marketing people at RCI and they keep that sort of info very close to their chests.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my thought. A "loyalty ambassador" on a ship might know about an upcoming promotion a few days in advance, but they certainly would have no way to know what promotions will or won't be available for a particular cruise over the next 11 months.

Mass-market cruise pricing, just like airlines, hotels, and the rest of the travel industry, has always been highly variable. Their goal is to always sail with a full ship while extracting the most money out of guests as possible. If a particular ship is selling well, prices will remain high or go even higher. If bookings are soft, they'll run a promo or drop the prices for a bit until sales hit a level the cruise line is comfortable with. Then the prices will rise again and promotions will stop. Pricing is subject to change by the minute if they so desire, and a "loyalty ambassador" on the ship certainly is not privy to that decision making process and long range planning.

[quote name='emdia43']What happened to their Best price guarantee?

[url]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=4201&faqSubjectId=389[/url][/QUOTE]

The "Best Price Guarantee" applies for only a 48 hour period after the reservation is made (if it even applies to UK residents). The OP said they booked July 14.

I too have complete sympathy with you on this. What the guy is going on about re "extra protection" us UK travellers get is ridiculous. We have by far the worst booking terms possible. Not only do we lose deposits without an ability to change etc we also pay huge prices compared to other countries for the identical product, ship sailing date etc.

I think the cruise market in the US would collapse if RCI imposed the same conditions as the public wouldn't tolerate it. Therefore I suppose unless we just stop booking we are our own worst enemy.

Strictly speaking in the UK they have no real price drop system either. However I have secured them previously purely because I have dealt with RC direct and refused to book unless the agent confirms by booking with an email stating that they will get me a pricedrop should it become available. That being said I have a reservation on Allure from Barcelona and the software I have checking prices in £, $ and Euro show that all of the drops there have been so far have only applied to bookings made in Euros and $ which of course we cant do. Its huge differences too. For example an Interior cabin is circa £950pp in £, when in Euros but converted to £ it is circa £700 and similar in $. How can this possibly be fair or just? Balconys are even worse. You can buy an oceanview balcony cheaper in the US than the cheapest interior in the UK.

Its frustrating that they are abusing the Brits but that's life!!! I don't resent US citizens on this as its very much just a case of envy and im sure perhaps the US citizens would be much stronger at fighting this and getting a fairer deal. The US set up is how it should be for all though

[quote name='sue999']Unfortunately I believed the Loyalty Ambassador on board the ship when she told us,didn't get it in writing .
At least we are lucky enough to be able to cruise :)[/QUOTE]

Over the course of MANY cruises, I have come to the conclusion that the Loyalty Ambassador is all-too-often the LEAST knowledgeable person on board.

If I don't know EXACTLY what cruise I want to book, I don't even sit down at his/her desk. And when I do, I often have to tell him/her what the price and conditions are. And then STILL have to fight for them.

It can be positively exhausting. :(

[quote name='UCF_Knight']Exactly my thought. A "loyalty ambassador" on a ship might know about an upcoming promotion a few days in advance, but they certainly would have no way to know what promotions will or won't be available for a particular cruise over the next 11 months.

[/QUOTE]

HA!

I have had an LA say to me, "What's a Tuesday Sale???"

[quote name='sue999']Sorry, what extra protections do you mean .?
:confused:[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/package-travel-regulations/[/url]

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1925185&highlight=uk+protections+for+booking+cruises[/url] Edited by setsail

[quote name='setsail'][url]http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/package-travel-regulations/[/url]

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1925185&highlight=uk+protections+for+booking+cruises[/url][/QUOTE]

Aah yes that travel protection you refer to that we have "a right to expect the holiday you booked and paid for"

Do RCI not provide you with a right to expect the holiday you booked and paid for when booking in the US?? I thought that it might be a given that should you book a cruise with RC then you will get your cruise with RC!!

[quote name='Happychappie']Aah yes that travel protection you refer to that we have "a right to expect the holiday you booked and paid for"

Do RCI not provide you with a right to expect the holiday you booked and paid for when booking in the US?? I thought that it might be a given that should you book a cruise with RC then you will get your cruise with RC!![/QUOTE]

One example that most are probably recalling:

When that volcano erupted in Iceland, disrupting airline traffic, many U.S. travelers were left out in the cold. UK travelers were covered.

Also: These things are "covered" for you by UK consumer law. If US travelers want "equivalent" coverage, we must purchase travel insurance that you don't need. Edited by Merion_Mom