Looking for new luggage

Truffle

We are looking for new luggage and need some suggestions. We have a large wardrobe of Briggs and Riley rolling luggage which has been practically bullet-proof (and has a lifetime warranty) however, it was purchased before all of the weight limit ridiculousness and unfortunately weighs a lot empty. :(

We would like to purchase some new, lighter weight yet upscale soft-sided rolling luggage of good quality.

We are not the type who pride ourselves in packing for a world cruise in nothing but a carry-on! In other words--have never been accused of under packing! We enjoy formal nights and tend to dress up for dinner even on casual nights in a dress for me and often a sports jacket for my husband (though he ALWAYS wears pants and a shirt! :D) Sometimes he also brings a suit.

We usually cruise on 10-14 day cruises, sometimes longer. Usually bring 2 large rolling garment bags (sometimes called wardrobe bags--not the fold over suit cover type) and two large Pullmans, and two carry-ons, a large tote purse and a backpack for hubby's laptop, camera and assorted electronic accessories and cords, meds, etc. :o

I know many will think this is ridiculous, but what can I say? :p

Any suggestions for durably constructed lighter weight luggage?

Does anyone know if TravelPro or other brands compare quality-wise with Tumi or Briggs Riley?

Thanks!

We travel a LOT internationally and have been really happy with "TI world's lightest luggage". If you live near a Steinmart, you can pick up a 30" for under $100 and they weigh a little over 4 lb. I can lift one with a pinky finger!! They probably don't hold up as well as some others, but boy, can you ever pack a lot in them and stay in the weight limit. I just replace every few years.

We have some fabulous delsey rolling duffles that we got in 2006 and they've been on over 30 trips and 70 flights but each time we try to get a replacement, they are not as good and rip open by the 3rd flight. We've brought them back to the USA and Macy's have replaced them. I'd stick with a better brand, Briggs and Riley or tumi both offer lifetime guarantee and the new ones are much lighter.

Alternatively we have a couple so samsonite rolling duffles which have taken some real stick and still look brand new

Delsey was a brand that came highly recommended . Purchased two large and one mid-sized back in 2008 and they are holding up well.

Ours have large recessed back wheels and the bags handle well - up to 85 pounds according to the FedEx tag for a return trip home (departed at 45!).

We did purchase a Delsey mid-sized hard case for our last trip; didn't seem to hold as much as the soft sided and seemed more difficult to pack. Plus the four wheels seemed to be less efficient in moving the suitcase (too many others don't seem to have a problem, so again, it must be my preference to pull rather than shove).

Purchased at Bed, Bath and Beyond; using their 20% discount helped with the cost.

We travel a LOT internationally and have been really happy with "TI world's lightest luggage". If you live near a Steinmart, you can pick up a 30" for under $100 and they weigh a little over 4 lb. I can lift one with a pinky finger!! They probably don't hold up as well as some others, but boy, can you ever pack a lot in them and stay in the weight limit. I just replace every few years.

I think they are called IT Worlds Lightest Luggage. We have them and they are great. I would say get the 2 wheel case, not the 4 wheel one. 2 Wheel cases seem less likely to have wheel knocked off. The only thing we have found is that they can let in the water where the zip is. We just line the case with a thin plastic table cloth, the throw away kind that weighs nothing. The only time it let in water was when we visited Tromso in northern Norway one winter and it stayed on the airport case truck for a while in a heavy snow storm.

I'm a fan of TUMI. Ballistic nylon is literally bullet proof LOL.

Mine's got more than 900,000 airline miles over 14 years and still kicking.

They do some innovative things that let you pack a couple suits (tuxedo) in a standard bag with their "suitor" built in. Their rolling garment bag is also well designed to allow for formal wear and some casual wear stuffed in and 2 pairs of shoes fit in the exterior pockets.

Many of their bags are expandable, letting you pack them when opened up then close them and compress them to make them smaller, so a fat rollaboard can be jam packed then squished to a size thats allowed as a carry-on.

We travel a LOT internationally and have been really happy with "TI world's lightest luggage". If you live near a Steinmart, you can pick up a 30" for under $100 and they weigh a little over 4 lb. I can lift one with a pinky finger!!

Just two more additions to my ever-growing list of your strengths, J! Last one was Hot Dog Connoisseur! :D

Excuse the intrusion, folks... Just needed to tease a good friend whose judgments I trust!

We have used LLBean luggage for the past 20 years. It is well-built, rugged, and has a lifetime replacement warranty. We flew to Maine last year for our 25th anniversary. We had a suitcase with a bad zipper. We took it into the store in Freeport and walked out with a brand-new one. You can just ship the one with problems to them and they ship out a new one. My in-laws had LLBean cases for many years and replaced them several times. They have great styles, too.

I am a big fan of reasonably priced name brand luggage... We have an assortment of pieces that we use depending on the type of travels we are undertaking (business overnight - road trip - or longer fly / cruise vacation). Everything from a Suit Bag thru to a Rolling Duffel or full sized Suitcases.

We have been most happiest with:

Samsonite - multi-pieced set (Carry On - as well as larger Suitcases). This is our go to set when flying / cruising

Air Canada - sturdy Garment Bag. This is our go to for Business Travel with or without an additionally carry on item. Perfect for those times when you want no checked luggage. I figured that if it was rugged enough to stand up to the constant travel of ACs flight crew it was good enough for us. (Air Canada here in Canada also sells full sets of luggage... Quite similar to Samsonite or American Tourister).

LL Bean - a rolling duffel, knapsack & tote. Ideal for weekends away or camping trips. As someone else said you cannot beat the LL Bean Guarantee. We would use it for more vacations (such as flying / cruising) but we often want to either bring more stuff, or prefer to fold our items rather than roll them. As well even tho we know it is a "perceived" thing we feel our items are more secure in a locked suitcase than a zipped duffel.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We recently purchases Eagle Creek bags for several weeks in Europe ( with students) followed by a cruise to Iceland and Norway. They only weighed 7 lbs and held tons. Expensive but an investment for future traveling. Check their web site.

Another vote for TravelPro's lightest line--have had mine a year now, and love it. I use it together with a couple of lightweight TUMI pieces--love them, too! Both lines are very well made, and both companies stand behind their products.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'm a fan of TUMI. Ballistic nylon is literally bullet proof LOL.

Mine's got more than 900,000 airline miles over 14 years and still kicking.

They do some innovative things that let you pack a couple suits (tuxedo) in a standard bag with their "suitor" built in. Their rolling garment bag is also well designed to allow for formal wear and some casual wear stuffed in and 2 pairs of shoes fit in the exterior pockets.

Many of their bags are expandable, letting you pack them when opened up then close them and compress them to make them smaller, so a fat rollaboard can be jam packed then squished to a size thats allowed as a carry-on.

I'm glad someone mentioned Tumi. My partner and I were out shopping today and were checking out their newest lines. While we are not in desperate need of new luggage we could use a new set and would prefer something that will last a long while and dare I say it...somewhat trendy?

We are looking for new luggage and need some suggestions. We have a large wardrobe of Briggs and Riley rolling luggage which has been practically bullet-proof (and has a lifetime warranty) however, it was purchased before all of the weight limit ridiculousness and unfortunately weighs a lot empty. :(

We would like to purchase some new, lighter weight yet upscale soft-sided rolling luggage of good quality.

We are not the type who pride ourselves in packing for a world cruise in nothing but a carry-on! In other words--have never been accused of under packing! We enjoy formal nights and tend to dress up for dinner even on casual nights in a dress for me and often a sports jacket for my husband (though he ALWAYS wears pants and a shirt! :D) Sometimes he also brings a suit.

We usually cruise on 10-14 day cruises, sometimes longer. Usually bring 2 large rolling garment bags (sometimes called wardrobe bags--not the fold over suit cover type) and two large Pullmans, and two carry-ons, a large tote purse and a backpack for hubby's laptop, camera and assorted electronic accessories and cords, meds, etc. :o

I know many will think this is ridiculous, but what can I say? :p

Any suggestions for durably constructed lighter weight luggage?

Does anyone know if TravelPro or other brands compare quality-wise with Tumi or Briggs Riley?

Thanks!

We scored a couple of Delsey 29" soft-side 8 wheel bags.

Discontinued colors ( Purple ) that stand out in the crowd .

From e-bags for $79 each.

Just make sure, whatever you buy, that the carry-on now conforms to the new smaller airline standards that some have enacted within the last few months. Two of ours no longer meet the regulations by 1/2 inch and many are checking!

We've always been a soft-sided luggage family, but bought Tumi T-Tech Cargo collection last fall. It is by far the best luggage I've ever used. The shell is hard, but incredibly light-weight. It fits just as much as the soft-sided bags and has fit under the bed on all of our cruises. Durable stuff. Also, the 4 rollers on the bottom make them effortless to move. I really love my Tumi!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I stopped buying expensive luggage long ago because the airlines can ruin it just as easily as they can ruin less expensive luggage.

Look in Marshalls and TJ Maxx. They usually have a good selection. Also look on Overstock. I have gotten sets from them for my grown children. They have a huge selection.

http://www.overstock.com

IMHO, Anything from Samsonite. Always used it, always will. Tough and light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Agree, like the hard side luggage, would not go anywhere without it.

Hi, We got our latest big wheelies at Kmart So far, they are great We wanted lightweight, and these were bigger and lighter than any brand names we bought in the past We are pleased with the quality too