New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

48 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

@gaudi89 once ship is cleared, you are free to get off and back on as many times as you'd like; just be mindful of All Aboard time.

Welcome to HAL!!

Thanks for your response.

My husband called HAL about this question a few days ago and after a long wait on hold he got a HAL rep who told him she didn't know if you can get on and off when you want. He asked her to ask someone else there the answer and after another long hold she came back to say that getting on and off was at the control of the crew and they knew nothing else. Your answer is much more helpful.

We've never stayed on board in a port before but wanted to do it for part of our time so we can experience the ship when it's quieter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gaudi89 said:

We will be on the Noordam on an Alaskan cruise next month and haven't been on HAL before. When we are at dock for a day can we get on and off the ship when we want or are we restricted in some way (so that once you get off you can only come back on once?). There are a few ports we don't want to be on shore all day and wanted to exit the ship around noon or so. is that possible and if so how about coming back on?

The only times you are “forced” off the ship at a specific time is when a country requires “zero count” or everyone to go through immigration before they will let anyone back on the ship.  Since you are traveling to Alaska, this will not be an issue for you.

Have It All Questions... I'm sure this has been covered so I'm sneaking it into this thread, but hoping to get current answers all in one place:

1) Must buy before cruise?

2) If I'm booking a shore excursion using the HIA credit, can I do that before the cruise or need to wait until on board? 
3) Can I somehow apply OBC to the rest of the shore excursion?
4) I've already booked Pinnacle - can we apply the HIA credit?

15 minutes ago, loveandpeas said:

Have It All Questions... I'm sure this has been covered so I'm sneaking it into this thread, but hoping to get current answers all in one place:

1) Must buy before cruise?

2) If I'm booking a shore excursion using the HIA credit, can I do that before the cruise or need to wait until on board? 
3) Can I somehow apply OBC to the rest of the shore excursion?
4) I've already booked Pinnacle - can we apply the HIA credit?

1.yes

2. either way

3.  If booked onboard it will use you OBC

4.  ?

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, gaudi89 said:

Thanks for your response.

My husband called HAL about this question a few days ago and after a long wait on hold he got a HAL rep who told him she didn't know if you can get on and off when you want. He asked her to ask someone else there the answer and after another long hold she came back to say that getting on and off was at the control of the crew and they knew nothing else. Your answer is much more helpful.

We've never stayed on board in a port before but wanted to do it for part of our time so we can experience the ship when it's quieter.

What an answer 😞 We even go back and forward on the tender. Especially for lunch, a rest etc. Tenders are often quiet after the initial rush.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, loveandpeas said:

Shoot - looks like HIA is not available for my itinerary. Anyone know why not? It's 7 days, Alaska... but we got the "free inside stateroom" so I'm wondering if that's why?

You need to call. Their IT is junk. Everyone can get HIA. If they say no hang up and call again because even on their end the IT is junk.

Two Koningsdam -specific beverage questions...

1.Do they have water bottle filling stations on board? Debating if I should pack a refillable bottle.

2. With the Quench package, can one use the freestyle coke machines, or only order at bars and restaurants?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

44 minutes ago, bookmomoftwins said:

Two Koningsdam -specific beverage questions...

1.Do they have water bottle filling stations on board? Debating if I should pack a refillable bottle.

2. With the Quench package, can one use the freestyle coke machines, or only order at bars and restaurants?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

1. They do not have dedicated water bottle stations. You have to fill a drinking cup with water and pour it into your water bottle, repeat until full. There is sometimes a short line at the Lido coffee/tea/water area of folks standing waiting with their bottles.

2. The Quench package does not include the Freestyle Coke machines. You would have to add on the Unlimited Coca-cola package or if you get "have it all" upgrade to the Signature package which does include it. (Recently looked into this and decided it just wasn't worth it.)

That being said there are 2 Freestyle machines next to each other by the Lido bar. As much as I wanted the fun flavours of sugar-free soda I knew I was not going to be running back and forth to the machine all day. Also - the quench package includes specialty coffee and teas as well as mocktails - many of which are delicious.

I would only recommend the Coke package/Freestyle machine for the kiddos and I wouldn't buy it in advance since they are sometimes out of order and you have to go to a bar to collect your special chipped cup anyway.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ski ww said:

You can fill your water bottle from the sink in your room. 

Absolutely!  Just wondered about options when I'm out and about on the ship, as our stateroom is several floors from where we'll be spending most of our time 🙂

21 hours ago, bookmomoftwins said:

Absolutely!  Just wondered about options when I'm out and about on the ship, as our stateroom is several floors from where we'll be spending most of our time 🙂

The lido deck has pitchers of cold water available whenever they are open.  

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 4:50 AM, AllTheSun said:

You need to call. Their IT is junk. Everyone can get HIA. If they say no hang up and call again because even on their end the IT is junk.

This made me laugh, because you're right - it's total glitch. Today it is is available so I will grab it!

Because of my wife's physical conditions we have booked a suite with a larger balcony and my wife may be eating many of her meals in our room so we have questions about room service. Never been on HAL nor used room service before on a cruise. She's watched many videos recently about ships and saw that on some you are not limited to the short room service menu but can actually order other items that they are already serving that day in the main dinning room or lido. Is that true with HAL Noordam or is one limited to the brief room service menu given?

45 minutes ago, gaudi89 said:

Because of my wife's physical conditions we have booked a suite with a larger balcony and my wife may be eating many of her meals in our room so we have questions about room service. Never been on HAL nor used room service before on a cruise. She's watched many videos recently about ships and saw that on some you are not limited to the short room service menu but can actually order other items that they are already serving that day in the main dinning room or lido. Is that true with HAL Noordam or is one limited to the brief room service menu given?

I can't speak specifically to the Noordam, but HAL does allow you to order room service from the MDR menu. I believe you need to do it in about the first hour dinner is being served.

Welcome to HAL - enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gaudi89 said:

order other items that they are already serving that day in the main dinning room or lido. Is that true with HAL Noordam or is one limited to the brief room service menu given?

Ordering from the dinner MDR menu should be done during the first hour it is open. You can ask for the delivery to be later. We've not heard that anyone has ordered from the buffet menu, but for any meal you can bring a tray from home and use it to carry items from the buffet to your stateroom.

Dinner menus will be on the TV if you don't have Navigator on a smart phone.

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 1