New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

If you would receive an upsell offer for $499 to a higher category cabin is that $499 also for the third person when the third is booked at a reduced or free rate? I presume that each of the first two people booked would be $499, but would the third also be $499?

Edited by Trapper44

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:28 AM, Trapper44 said:

If you would receive an upsell offer for $499 to a higher category cabin is that $499 also for the third person when the third is booked at a reduced or free rate? I presume that each of the first two people booked would be $499, but would the third also be $499?

We have our 10 year old Grandson in our SS cabin on the Noordam and he is booked for $449 reduced rate. We turned down one terrible  NS upsell offer for my wife and I but his price stayed the same.

Does anyone have experience using HAL's Flight Ease program?  I usually book my own flights but have a reservation through HAL's Flight Ease for an upcoming cruise.  The flight is through American Airlines and it appears on my AA Advantage (FF program) account so I am confident that I will earn miles for the trip.  I also have an AA credit card with free baggage and priority boarding benefits.  Since I will be paying HAL for the flight and not directly to American Airlines, will I receive the free baggage benefit?    When I booked the flights, the HAL representative said I would get my benefits as long as my FF number was on the reservation, but I would prefer to hear from a fellow cruiser who has experience using the Flight Ease program.

Is it allowed to substitute items on MDR menu? For example, I was looking at the Alaska 2019 menus and on the first Gala Night one of the entrees was CRACKED PEPPER TENDERLOIN WITH GRILLED SHRIMP. DH cannot have shellfish. Would MDR staff permit ordering that entree without the shrimp? Or could something else be added in its place? I don't want to tell DH they will do that and then surprise! They will not.

Thank you! 

4 minutes ago, Nattyg1723 said:

Is it allowed to substitute items on MDR menu? For example, I was looking at the Alaska 2019 menus and on the first Gala Night one of the entrees was CRACKED PEPPER TENDERLOIN WITH GRILLED SHRIMP. DH cannot have shellfish. Would MDR staff permit ordering that entree without the shrimp? Or could something else be added in its place? I don't want to tell DH they will do that and then surprise! They will not.

Thank you! 

They'll be happy to serve your DH the steak without the shrimp.

We just got back...our table staff was wonderful...you may get the Caesar salad without anchovies...any main dish with any sides that are listed on the menu so if you want mashed instead of roasted potatoes if it’s listed it’s available...if you don’t want horseradish tell them and it won’t make it on your plate...if you want iced tea,chocolate milk,every evening it will be there...they just need told asked once and it is there...change your mind that’s fine too

5 hours ago, Nattyg1723 said:

Thank you! 

As indicated above, yes they will.  I also have to substitute certain vegetables that I cannot eat (spinach and asparagus) and they willingly do that.

5 hours ago, Nattyg1723 said:

Thank you! 

If it's a shellfish allergy, you might want to fill out the "Special Needs" form on the HAL website.  If they know ahead of time that this is an issue, the food folks can be a little proactive -- like bringing your husband the menu for the next night and working with him to select options and changes that will work.  I've seen this many times and it works very well.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nattyg1723 said:

Thank you! 

The kitchen staff is very accommodating, but from dealing with people who have the same allergy make sure you tell your server to serve the steak before any shrimp where on the plate. If you tell the waiter about your DH allergy up front he will make sure that no shrimp ever came into contact with the steak.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:19 PM, Cajuntraveler said:

Does anyone have experience using HAL's Flight Ease program?  I usually book my own flights but have a reservation through HAL's Flight Ease for an upcoming cruise.  The flight is through American Airlines and it appears on my AA Advantage (FF program) account so I am confident that I will earn miles for the trip.  I also have an AA credit card with free baggage and priority boarding benefits.  Since I will be paying HAL for the flight and not directly to American Airlines, will I receive the free baggage benefit?    When I booked the flights, the HAL representative said I would get my benefits as long as my FF number was on the reservation, but I would prefer to hear from a fellow cruiser who has experience using the Flight Ease program.

I also have a flight with AA on flight Ease for July Alaska cruise and I have the AA Advantage CC. I was told the same by HAL, but I confirmed with AA customer service that we would get the AA CC benefits as long as the AA Advantage number is tied to the record locater number.

30 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I also have a flight with AA on flight Ease for July Alaska cruise and I have the AA Advantage CC. I was told the same by HAL, but I confirmed with AA customer service that we would get the AA CC benefits as long as the AA Advantage number is tied to the record locater number. 

Thanks for your response.   The benefits section at the credit card web site says you have to pay your flight with the card to get the baggage benefit.  I called customer service at the credit card company and was told that as long as my FF # was on the reservation I would receive all the card benefits, including free luggage.  I was going to also call AA to confirm, but you've saved me the phone call.  Enjoy your cruise.

We booked our American Airlines flight for up coming HAL Alaskan cruise using AA points.  Told by Advantage Awards that we would receive the free bag perk except for the leg on Alaska Airways.   The small fee that goes along with claiming reward travel was charged to the Advantage credit card. 

On 5/13/2019 at 5:19 PM, Cajuntraveler said:

How did you get your AA number on the reservation?  I am already a FF with American Airlines but just recently received an AA credit card. Do I need to pay for my whole cruise on that card to receive free baggage & priority seating?

31 minutes ago, philliesgirl48 said:

How did you get your AA number on the reservation?  I am already a FF with American Airlines but just recently received an AA credit card. Do I need to pay for my whole cruise on that card to receive free baggage & priority seating? 

When I reserved my flight through Hal's Flight Ease program, I was able to input my American Airlines frequent flyer number.  The flight shows up under my reservations when I log in to AA.  The conversation on this thread was only about baggage fees when flight arrangements are made through Holland America.  Your AA credit card probably has trip cancellation benefits that may require that you pay with the card.  Hope that answers your question.

On 5/13/2019 at 4:19 PM, Cajuntraveler said:

I don't have experience with the FlightEase program, but I do have the AA card. That cards states that it is tied to your AAdvantage #, and that you and anyone flying on the same reservation will receive the baggage benefit if your AAdvantage # is applied to the reservation.

If I were you, I would log into my AAdvantage account and be certain that the reservation is showing up in your account. If not, I would look the reservation up by confirmation # and add it to you your account. If the reservation shows up tied to your AAdvantage account, then the baggage benefit should be linked.

29 minutes ago, bartexas said:

I don't have experience with the FlightEase program, but I do have the AA card. That cards states that it is tied to your AAdvantage #, and that you and anyone flying on the same reservation will receive the baggage benefit if your AAdvantage # is applied to the reservation.

If I were you, I would log into my AAdvantage account and be certain that the reservation is showing up in your account. If not, I would look the reservation up by confirmation # and add it to you your account. If the reservation shows up tied to your AAdvantage account, then the baggage benefit should be linked. 

Thanks for the advise.  I have confirmed the reservation on my AA account and am now confident that I will receive the AA credit card benefits.

On 5/7/2019 at 7:48 AM, cruise47 said:

This is a wonderful thread for an introduction to a person who has never sailed HAL before. Thanks you.

I completely agree!!  Thank you for all the answers to ALL the questions!