New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

1 minute ago, kb4683 said:

We currently have 80 actual cruise days and are about to embark a 21 day cruise -- will we be recognized for 100 days cruising on this cruise or our next one?

You should get your copper medallion during this cruise. The medallions have traditionally been awarded during the cruise when you reach that status.

Check with the Front Desk early in the cruise to see if you are on the list, and if not ask for an explanation of why not.

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

You should get your copper medallion during this cruise. The medallions have traditionally been awarded during the cruise when you reach that status.

Check with the Front Desk early in the cruise to see if you are on the list, and if not ask for an explanation of why not.

Thanks, Ruth, for the quick reply.  We will be on the same Maasdam cruise as you!

17 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Thanks, Ruth, for the quick reply.  We will be on the same Maasdam cruise as you!

Then I will be cheering you when you are recognized!

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 8:16 PM, jennb said:

Does anyone know if it is less expensive to pre-purchase unlimited laundry prior to sailing or is it the same price if purchased once on board?

Thanks

We just got off the Veendam in Venice. The bag of laundry has gone up to $30/bag. However, we rolled up our clothes real tight and got 1 jeans, 2 pants, 5 t-shirts. Bar, panties, 7 pair men’s underpants. A couple of shorts, PJs and 2 pillow cases in. I think a few more pieces. If that is an option for you, look into it. The price might be less. The Veendam did away with public laundry.

On 5/30/2019 at 1:25 AM, miss said:

Can anyone help me understand the Signature Beverage Package?  Thank you so much. 

Fouremco covered it well. We just go off the Veendam and before we left we were told the $9 figure and told if we wanted a better variety to see about an upgrade when we got on board. If we wait until after the first drink we couldn’t change. So I asked the beverage manager on embarkation day. He told me the price was up to $11 and he said to visit a bar before I decide to upgrade. He said almost everything is included. We did and grilled the bartender with everything we might order—all were included. The high end brandy was the only thing not included that we asked about and DH is happy with the cheap stuff. It was a great plan, especially since it was “included.” We booked another cruise so we could get that add-on before t expires May31. Have a great time.

11 hours ago, CTOM said:

Last year on the Noordham, our room had a coupon booklet in it with stuff like 2-for-1 coffees in the Explorer Lounge, 25% of manicures, etc etc.    We actually used many of the offers.  I think there may have even been two of them, one for me and one for wife.

This year on the Zuiderdam, we got no booklet, coupons, or offers.   For you frequent HAL cruisers, are these little booklets standard for HAL or only some itineraries?

Thanks !

I believe they are offered via certain travel agencies at certain times if you book during the time span.

I’ve had them a few times - but most times we don’t get them.

Laundry has been reported to be $7 per day for unlimited and $20 per bag in US waters, and $9 per day and $30 per bag in Europe. Hmmm, wonder what it is in Asia/S. America/Africa, etc? We usually book a Neptune which has laundry included and are approaching 4* which gets free laundry...

Edited by oceanmom

It says that I must buy a drink package for my Wife if I want one. My Wife does not drink (except for maybe a wine at dinner), why do I need to pay and extra $800+ for her if she is not going to use it? Or, are there options?

32 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

It says that I must buy a drink package for my Wife if I want one. My Wife does not drink (except for maybe a wine at dinner), why do I need to pay and extra $800+ for her if she is not going to use it? Or, are there options?

You could simply pay-as-you-go.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

With the SBP HAL requires everyone in the cabin over 21 has to buy the package. In your case it would be cheaper to just pay for the drinks as you buy them.

2 hours ago, pete_coach said:

It seems perfectly logical why they do this. I’m sure every other cruise line does the same. It would be a simple matter for those gaming the system to just buy one beverage package and then share the drinks. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

It seems perfectly logical why they do this. I’m sure every other cruise line does the same. It would be a simple matter for those gaming the system to just buy one beverage package and then share the drinks. 

Logical? Why would that be? It would be perfectly logical if my Wife was a vegan and only wanted vegan meals so I have to have them too?

Gaming the system? Well, that is funny considering you can buy things like booze bags to smuggle booze onboard and many other things to circumvent the "rules". The "system" has been gamed a long time ago LOL

1 hour ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

It is logical and it is HAL's rules that matter. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

Yes it is HAL''s rule...but I have been on other lines that do not require both parties to have a package...LuAnn

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Yes it is HAL''s rule...but I have been on other lines that do not require both parties to have a package...LuAnn

I’ve been primarily cruising with Princess. They do not have this requirement. They just say that it can’t be shared. I probably shouldn’t have commented on other cruise lines maybe having this policy. I haven’t sailed with any of them recently so don’t know their policies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2019 at 3:40 PM, ToXS said:

Please tell me what other lines do not have this requirement.  ToXS

Celebrity used to require both passengers to purchase a package but they dropped that several years ago. Oceania also does not require you both to have one. And Poulsbo Cruisers said that Princess doesn't either. FYI. LuAnn

• Thanks 1

Hubby & I will be on the Zaandam this coming August.  On our previous HAL cruises  on the Oosterdam and Statendam, we really enjoyed the entertainment in the Billboard on Board and BB King blues club. We particularly enjoyed the talented piano duo who played and sang everything from oldies to current country in the Billboard on Board lounge.  In looking at the deck plan of the Zaandam I can't find either of these venues and HAL's ship description only mentions music in the Main Stage and World stage.

Does anyone have any info about evening/night time music entertainment on the Zaandam?  

12 hours ago, Cajuntraveler said:

Hubby & I will be on the Zaandam this coming August.  On our previous HAL cruises  on the Oosterdam and Statendam, we really enjoyed the entertainment in the Billboard on Board and BB King blues club. We particularly enjoyed the talented piano duo who played and sang everything from oldies to current country in the Billboard on Board lounge.  In looking at the deck plan of the Zaandam I can't find either of these venues and HAL's ship description only mentions music in the Main Stage and World stage.

Does anyone have any info about evening/night time music entertainment on the Zaandam?  

None of the S & R ships (Zaandam is R class) have BBKings and I don’t believe they will be getting Billboard.  The ships are not large enough.

They still have the “Mix” and there you should find a piano man performing.  Many of these performers can be quite talented and entertaining.

Adagio should be performing in the Ocean Bar.  

Last time we were on an R ship, there was also other music performed.  Hope this helps a bit.

We are going to be in a Spa Vista Suite on the Maasdam and I have a few questions.

1.  The description includes "iPod docking station".  Is there the ability to connect a different kind of MP3 player (Sony) via a 3.5mm audio cable?

2. Are the electrical outlets pretty much the same as other cabins -- 1 US and 1 EU at the desk?

3. I read one review that said the hairdryer outlet (EU) was under the desk - is this true on Maasdam?

Thank you!

Edited by kb4683

My sister is taking her first cruise on HAL this summer. She had a question regarding beverages in the MDR. During dinner do they provide any free beverages other than water? Is juice or iced tea available?

thank you!