Michaels Club

maljeff

We are sailing on the Silhouette Nov 2014 and the Connie Jan 2015 and notice that Michaels Club is now private. However, it appears that after 8 pm it is open to everyone but I'm not 100% sure about this. Does anyone know if this is the case?

thanks

mj

However, it appears that after 8 pm it is open to everyone but I'm not 100% sure about this. Does anyone know if this is the case?

thanks

mj

That is not the case. Michael's is now a dedicated lounge for senior suite guests, VIPs and Zenith cruisers.

Not sure I understand all these little changes that Celebrity is constantly making--and for what? Won't they just put off the regular clientele?

On our last cruise in February, we noticed a few little things had changed: The buffet was not as well stocked or presented. There were little cutbacks everywhere. There was hardly the same selection of sushi or tea goodies as there were several years ago. No dessert buffet like there used to be. Everything seemed designed to save money.

We were kind of put off by it.

Then I hear things like they have stopped offering the brunch (not a really big deal in my opinion, but for some it would be), closed Michael's Club (not happy about that) and are offering more special things for suites and Zenith (like a show at the Solarium pool) and I start to wonder if staying loyal to Celebrity is really worth it.

Have actually considered trying another line.

Will see how our TA in November is.

Anyone else concerned that they are chipping away at things?

Not sure I understand all these little changes that Celebrity is constantly making--and for what? Won't they just put off the regular clientele?

Doesn't seem to be the case, if it is, they are getting enough replacement cursers to take their place. Occupancy is up this year to last, and revenues are better too.

closed Michael's Club (not happy about that) and

This is to come into line with other cruise lines that offer private lounge space for their top end suites. I also think it is to align with Royal Caribbean ships private lounges especially, as in a preparation to merge the loyalty programs, which I now refer to as a rewards programs, as they now provide points based on spend, not just for showing up.

As occupancy can't get any higher to generate higher revenues they need to do something to charge more for the existing cabins, and they are doing this especially with the limited number of suites, offering greater perks and amenities, but jacking the prices up for that. Compare suite prices May 2014 to May 2015 (after suite Perks roll out next spring) to verify that.

are offering more special things for suites and Zenith (like a show at the Solarium pool)

All are invited to the "Liquid" party. It's just that those with Michael's Club access have "VIP" status and get seating poolside behind the velvet ropes for the event.

Changing is a better term. The chipping away is more like a reallocation of resources.

Also average price per day for cruise fares have remained steady, and are in fact slightly lower over the last 3 years, even before adjusting for inflation, while costs are all up, way up. Don't believe it? I can email you a graph that proves it for both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. The only way to keep prices low with increased costs, is to cut some corners and rethink the way things are offered.

I totally believe it.

I'd just rather pay a bit more money for a bit better experience. Not a big fan of paring back.

We have enjoyed our cruises…don't get me wrong. They use have not been as good in the past couple of years.

Maybe it is time to try somewhere else…..just to compare.

On our last cruise in February, we noticed a few little things had changed: The buffet was not as well stocked or presented. There were little cutbacks everywhere. There was hardly the same selection of sushi or tea goodies as there were several years ago. No dessert buffet like there used to be. Everything seemed designed to save money.

Then I hear things like they have stopped offering the brunch (not a really big deal in my opinion, but for some it would be), closed Michael's Club (not happy about that) and are offering more special things for suites and Zenith (like a show at the Solarium pool) and I start to wonder if staying loyal to Celebrity is really worth it.

No, as a matter of fact, I have three cruises booked.

Michael's Club was never really used to any degree and I'm excited for those traveling in suites getting extra perks, because they definitely pay for them with the price of their suite.

Double check the lines, you might be considering, policies for suites, because many of them also give extra perks to their suite customers (many giving much more than Celebrity does, such as private pools and sunning decks) and have eliminated things as well. You might want to give Crystal a look.

Edited by NLH Arizona

More people have been moving into the Zenith Level than I would have guessed. Many potential Zeniths are getting very close. I can just see future threads complaining that there are just too many Zeniths and Celebrity needs to change the system. Celebrity's strategy was to encourage people to spend more and cruise more. It is working!

We were so disappointed with Michael's Club on the Equinox. My DH loves his beer and was ready for the craft beers there. However, the Equinox didn't have them. He got a few odd ones in the Ensemble Lounge, so he was happy with a smaller selection. Now that they have changed the Cellar Masters into a pub type place and have craft beers, we have a cruise booked next Feb on Royal Caribbean so he'll miss out again. Oh well, maybe the next one! Always looking for a reason to book a cruise.

We were so disappointed with Michael's Club on the Equinox. My DH loves his beer and was ready for the craft beers there. However, the Equinox didn't have them. He got a few odd ones in the Ensemble Lounge, so he was happy with a smaller selection. Now that they have changed the Cellar Masters into a pub type place and have craft beers, we have a cruise booked next Feb on Royal Caribbean so he'll miss out again. Oh well, maybe the next one! Always looking for a reason to book a cruise.

Hint: You don't need a reason :)

Thanks for the info everyone. Does anyone know if you can get the beers at any of the other bars? For example, if a particular beer is not on the drink list/menu at passport bar, would they get you one from Michael's?

Thanks for the info everyone. Does anyone know if you can get the beers at any of the other bars? For example, if a particular beer is not on the drink list/menu at passport bar, would they get you one from Michael's?

Michaels no longe stocks the extensive beer list now that its VIP. It's more of a typical bar. They have moved the beers to Cellar Masters, what they have kept.

Nope, still offer the best bang for my buck, hands down!!:)

Nope, still offer the best bang for my buck, hands down!!:)

Totally agree. We have been on Crystal, Seabourn, regent and Silversea. Silversea was terrible, bad food, and old ships..nothing special but the price. I just cancelled a Azamara cruise in New Zealand because in a Royal Suite on Celebrity you actually got more for your money, and it was $7000 less.

Celebrity has an excellent product at a fair price. I wish the ships were smaller, but that is all!

Quote from Toronto Sailor

I totally believe it.

I'd just rather pay a bit more money for a bit better experience. Not a big fan of paring back.

We have enjoyed our cruises…don't get me wrong. They use have not been as good in the past couple of years.

Maybe it is time to try somewhere else…..just to compare.

I think this is an excellent idea, please try a couple of other lines and bring us the news good or bad.

I think in this day and age eveyone is looking for value. Hoping you find another line that offers more for less so we can all migrate to it!:):)

I just cancelled a Azamara cruise in New Zealand because in a Royal Suite on Celebrity you actually got more for your money, and it was $7000 less.

I agree. Having been in a PH on Azamara twice, Celebrity is a much better, and better value, product.

Maljeff, where did you get the idea that Michaels is open to all after 8pm? Just curious to know

I know on our infinity panama 4-14 Michaels was for us in suites but after our cocktail hours it was open to all. I do think that was to change after our trip as by the end all micro brews where removed. I finished off a case of raspberry beer from Belgium and they told me there would be no more. Kim said that there would be non alcoholic drinks for during the day.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Forums mobile app

Not sure I understand all these little changes that Celebrity is constantly making--and for what? Won't they just put off the regular clientele? No

Then I hear things like they have stopped offering the brunch (not a really big deal in my opinion, but for some it would be), closed Michael's Club (not happy about that) and are offering more special things for suites and Zenith (like a show at the Solarium pool) and I start to wonder if staying loyal to Celebrity is really worth it. For us it is.

Have actually considered trying another line. You will be back!

Not in the least. There are reviews every day by first time Celebrity cruises that can not believe how much better Celebrity is than the line they have been sailing. Then comments like this about how "we may look elsewhere"

We sailed on the RCCL Freedom in 2011, the Ruby Princess in 2012, and the Reflection last Nov 2013. The others were like a candle blowing in the wind compared to Celebrity. Hence, we just booked our longest cruise in 25+ years on the Equinox this Nov. Our cruise to Elite in CC.

EW

Edited by wallie5446

I agree. Having been in a PH on Azamara twice, Celebrity is a much better, and better value, product.

Glad to hear that! As I said, you get a lot for your money in a suite on Celebrity. The speciality restaurants was a charge, and the drinks that were included were really cheap!

The really irritating thing about limiting Michael's to suites is that now Michael's always seems empty. On our last cruise I think we saw passengers in there twice and each time it was only one group of three. Maybe on some ships it is being well used, but so far we haven't found anyone who said it was.

The really irritating thing about limiting Michael's to suites is that now Michael's always seems empty. On our last cruise I think we saw passengers in there twice and each time it was only one group of three. Maybe on some ships it is being well used, but so far we haven't found anyone who said it was.

It doesn't really matter if Michael's Club is used or not. It's part of a strategy designed to attract higher margin cruisers to Celebrity. If one reads other threads it is quite clear that the strategy is working. Prices for high end Suites have been increasing and demand appears to be very high. The venue was used very little prior to the change so income was minimal. It was crowded on Connie when Perry Grant was there, but relatively few drinks were sold. Toward the end Perry was urging his fans to buy more drinks. The little they lose in bar sales is more than offset by attracting the high margin customer. Whether they use it or not, it is there and it's a dedicated space for their use. The idea has been around for less than a year and is undergoing constant evaluation according to the man who was in charge of the project. The trend on Celebrity, as well as other lines, is clear: Win the high end business war.