Port Arrival Time - Freedom of the Seas

Our flight arrives at 11:20 a.m. on Sunday 8/31 (the day our cruise leaves). I have been tracking that flight for a couple of months now and so far it has been on time or early all but one time (and that day it was 20 min late).

If everything happens as it should and we find that we do want to make a quick stop for last minute things we didn't pack .. where would be a good place to do that close to the port? I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize boarding the ship but if we find we have enough time .. where could we shop that is within minutes of the port?

Also, since there is NO way we can be among the first to board .. what time would be a good time to arrive to avoid the bottleneck of cruise passengers arriving by RCCL transfer? I understand 12:30-1:30 (which is when we would be arriving if we don't stop anywhere) is a very busy time. Is it safe to wait and arrive closer to 2:30?

We are renting a car and will be parking at the port so transfers won't be an issue from a car rental location.

Just a question... How much is the car rental costing you for the week? Is it cheaper than 2 one day rentals?

The Publix is close, and easy to get to.

I would not over think your arrival time, though... By the time you get your luggage and the card, it'll be 1230 or so. You won't have a a lot of extra time. Just remember you MUST be checked in 90 min. before departure!!!

Aloha,

John

There are also a couple gas stations a tad closer too, but Publix will have just about anything you could think of. It's probably less than 10 minutes each way. Time wise you should be fine provided you get out of the airport quickly.

If you are a bit pressed for time... there is a Publix on your way to the port, very close to the B(each) Line (SR 528) and really easy to get to. Just take exit 45 and bear right as you leave the exit ramp on to Industry Road. Publix is just on the other side of the traffic light which is the intersection of Industry Rd. and SR 524. The instructions take longer to read than to get there.... distances are very short with easy off and easy on SR 528, plus you won't have to drive past the Port and deal with any of the Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral traffic. Don't mean to imply horrendous gridlock traffic... just a few traffic lights and stop and go stuff.

Oh, just a clarification... the Publix I am referencing above is in Cocoa (not Cocoa Beach).

If you are a bit pressed for time... there is a Publix on your way to the port, very close to the B(each) Line (SR 528) and really easy to get to. Just take exit 45 and bear right as you leave the exit ramp on to Industry Road. Publix is just on the other side of the traffic light which is the intersection of Industry Rd. and SR 524. The instructions take longer to read than to get there.... distances are very short with easy off and easy on SR 528, plus you won't have to drive past the Port and deal with any of the Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral traffic. Don't mean to imply horrendous gridlock traffic... just a few traffic lights and stop and go stuff.

Oh, just a clarification... the Publix I am referencing above is in Cocoa (not Cocoa Beach).

Thanks Bill, this will come in handy.:)

Also in that same area is a super Walmart. Take that same exit off 528 turning right off the ramp, take a left at the light at state road 524, versus straight into Publix grocery store and it will be just past the post office. Walmart is on the left side of the road and is within about a half mile.

Edited by island lady

Also in that same area is a super Walmart. Take that same exit off 528 turning right off the ramp, take a left at the light at state road 524, versus straight into Publix grocery store and it will be just past the post office. Walmart is on the left side of the road and is within about a half mile.

Can I ask either of you a question...how far is this from the end of 528 and Cocoa Beach? And are there any restaurants in the area if we were to get off 528 on our way to Cocoa Beach on Saturday in advance of our 8/24 Freedom cruise?

We are arriving at MCO on Saturday at about 5:30 PM, then have to get the luggage and car and head to Cocoa Beach and the hotel. We'd like to stop on the way and have dinner, as we always end up in an argument about where to eat once we arrive at the hotel, as no one likes the options and it will be a bit late (after being on the plane with no food for 2.5 hours). If we get off here, are there any chain type places that might be suitable?

Yup, that is the same one they take all the "People of Wal-Mart" pictures!! Just kidding;):D! But it can be very interesting at that Super Wally.

Yup, that is the same one they take all the "People of Wal-Mart" pictures!! Just kidding;):D! But it can be very interesting at that Super Wally.

Oh, most definitely one of the top rated homes of the "Walmartians" :p

I once had to chase down a woman who loaded her items into her

car, then started to drive away...leaving her purse in the child seat! :eek:

But it really is a great quick stop to pick up various last minute things.

Can I ask either of you a question...how far is this from the end of 528 and Cocoa Beach? And are there any restaurants in the area if we were to get off 528 on our way to Cocoa Beach on Saturday in advance of our 8/24 Freedom cruise?

We are arriving at MCO on Saturday at about 5:30 PM, then have to get the luggage and car and head to Cocoa Beach and the hotel. We'd like to stop on the way and have dinner, as we always end up in an argument about where to eat once we arrive at the hotel, as no one likes the options and it will be a bit late (after being on the plane with no food for 2.5 hours). If we get off here, are there any chain type places that might be suitable?

There are several restaurants just off that exit, and of course...naturally..

a McDonalds!

There is also a Target on Merritt Island just a few minutes off 528 and about 15 minutes from the port.

http://www.target.com/store-locator/store-details/storeNumber=1053

I stopped there on my way to Freedom in June because I (the planner with my epic packing list) forgot my sunglasses!! Who does that??

Edited by kahcarre

There is also a Target on Merritt Island just a few minutes off 528 and about 15 minutes from the port.

http://www.target.com/store-locator/store-details/storeNumber=1053

I stopped there on my way to Freedom in June because I (the planner with my epic packing list) forgot my sunglasses!! Who does that??

Yes, the Target is on Merritt Island about a mile south off the the exit for state road 3, (Courtenay Blvd.) which is just after you come over the first big bridge (intercoastal waterway) and before the second bridge (Banana River). Exit to the right, and turn right, onto Courtenay. Another Publix grocery store is across the street from Target at that exit.

It is actually only 5 minutes to the port from that Target. (I live in that neighborhood ;)).

Edited by island lady

Our flight arrives at 11:20 a.m. on Sunday 8/31 (the day our cruise leaves). I have been tracking that flight for a couple of months now and so far it has been on time or early all but one time (and that day it was 20 min late).

If everything happens as it should and we find that we do want to make a quick stop for last minute things we didn't pack .. where would be a good place to do that close to the port? I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize boarding the ship but if we find we have enough time .. where could we shop that is within minutes of the port?

Also, since there is NO way we can be among the first to board .. what time would be a good time to arrive to avoid the bottleneck of cruise passengers arriving by RCCL transfer? I understand 12:30-1:30 (which is when we would be arriving if we don't stop anywhere) is a very busy time. Is it safe to wait and arrive closer to 2:30?

We are renting a car and will be parking at the port so transfers won't be an issue from a car rental location.

By the time you land (hopefully on time), gather your luggage, get your rental car and drive the 45-1hr to the port you may be cutting it very close!

Hopefully there are no wrecks or traffic delays coming from Orlando..:eek:

There are several restaurants just off that exit, and of course...naturally..

a McDonalds!

McDonalds I can do without. Just hoping for a sit down chain (so that everyone will be happy enough with a menu they already know) to get a bite of dinner before we head to the hotel for the night.

Thanks for the info.

McDonalds I can do without. Just hoping for a sit down chain (so that everyone will be happy enough with a menu they already know) to get a bite of dinner before we head to the hotel for the night.

Thanks for the info.

There aren't any of your typical sitdown chains like Chili's or Applebee's that we have ever seen. There is a McDonald's, Burger King and a few Subway's.

Most people go over to the port area to Grills, Fishlips, Rusty's or Millikens. Zachary's is supposed to be good, that is right on Astronaut Blvd by the Radison and Residence Inn. We have gotten food from Kelsey's before, decent italian food and pizza.

http://kelseyscanaveral.com/

Nothing fancy but good after a long day of traveling.

Thanks for the info.

If you go to the Publix on Clear Lake (exit 45) there's a great little family diner in that same plaza:)

There aren't any of your typical sitdown chains like Chili's or Applebee's that we have ever seen. There is a McDonald's, Burger King and a few Subway's.

Most people go over to the port area to Grills, Fishlips, Rusty's or Millikens. Zachary's is supposed to be good, that is right on Astronaut Blvd by the Radison and Residence Inn. We have gotten food from Kelsey's before, decent italian food and pizza.

http://kelseyscanaveral.com/

Nothing fancy but good after a long day of traveling.

It's going to be too late for everyone to wait until we get to the port area to eat and even though I've mentioned it to my mom, she does not want to do one of the restaurants that you've mentioned (I've tried several times). And with the boys, going somewhere unknown makes things harder, especially the younger one who tends to get downright nasty when he's overhungry.

I was hoping that there was somewhere along 528 between MCO and the port where I could get off and hit one of the chains. Is there nothing between those points other than fast food? It can be closer to the airport instead of the port area if that makes a difference.

It's going to be too late for everyone to wait until we get to the port area to eat and even though I've mentioned it to my mom, she does not want to do one of the restaurants that you've mentioned (I've tried several times). And with the boys, going somewhere unknown makes things harder, especially the younger one who tends to get downright nasty when he's overhungry.

I was hoping that there was somewhere along 528 between MCO and the port where I could get off and hit one of the chains. Is there nothing between those points other than fast food? It can be closer to the airport instead of the port area if that makes a difference.

There is not much on 528 east of airport, until you get to Cocoa.

There isn't much along 528 at all.

What about eating at one of the chain restaurants in the airport? There are a bunch of sitdown chains in the airport.

http://www.orlandoairports.net/concessions/shops.htm

There isn't much along 528 at all.

What about eating at one of the chain restaurants in the airport? There are a bunch of sitdown chains in the airport.

http://www.orlandoairports.net/concessions/shops.htm

I'll have to talk with mom about it. I don't know if she's going to want to eat at the airport or get the bags and head for the car rental. I suppose I can always go west out of the airport and hit something, then head to the port after eating.

Who knew that finding dinner was going to be such an issue?

I'll have to talk with mom about it. I don't know if she's going to want to eat at the airport or get the bags and head for the car rental. I suppose I can always go west out of the airport and hit something, then head to the port after eating.

Who knew that finding dinner was going to be such an issue?

If you are willing to go away from where you are headed, your Mom should be able to find something on S. Semoran Blvd.;):p

There is a Cracker Barrel, PF Changs, Chili's, Bonefish Grill, Longhorn Steakhouse, Chipotle and many more.

It is rte 436, S Semoran BLvd. If you ever rented from Hertz in years past, it is where their offsite rental place used to be. It is now their sales place. Not too far, just not on the exact way to the port.

Edited by reallyitsmema

There's really nothing between Orlando and the Port on 528... but there by the airport there are lots of things - Chili's etc. you could do that then head across to the port.