How Does RCI Treat Their Employees?

I was fairly sure you knew about the contract and vacation, but didn't want others to get the wrong idea. I had several in the engine gang who did 3 consecutive 10 month contracts before going home.

I don't believe that any cruise ship crewmember in the hotel department works only 8 hours a day. They may do 4 on, 8 off, and then 8 on, but given the fact that crew per passenger has not increased substantially, there is no way they could go from the traditional 14 hour day to 8. The days are frequently broken up for the hotel crew, as their particular jobs only require them to be working at certain hours. Housekeeping traditionally takes the afternoons off, bar staff have the mornings off, and restaurant workers normally only take two of three meals.

Deck and engine watchkeepers will stand 4 on, 8 off watches, but will usually have a 4 hour period of required overtime during one of the 8 hour rest periods. Deck and engine dayworkers will work 12-14 hours straight.

I know that after 11 weeks of 12 hour days, seven days a week, I'm ready to get off the ship, and when I was doing 4 month trips on the cruise ships, I was totally burned out by that time.

Junior officers have the ultimate perk of a single cabin, but you can literally stand in the middle of the room and hold your arms up and touch all four walls. There is a single bed, a student desk, a 2'x2' closet, and a sink. Shower and toilet shared with the room next door. I had a 3rd engineer from the Philippines who not only lived in this room for 20 months, but had his wife in there with him.

Wow, that's some great information.

Provides a peek into the lives of crew members.

Thanks!

:)

I have a question about the US crew members. I saw in this thread several times that US crew members were basically management and entertainment staff. I repeatedly saw US crew members in the kids clubs on my last 2 Disney cruises. I haven't been on RCCL yet but have one booked for 2015.

I was under the impression on DCL ships that the people working in the kids clubs were usually recent college grads that were young from countries like Canada, UK, Australia, and the US. Often they were going into counseling or some profession having to do with kids. They got paid very little and couldn't receive tips but were looking at it as a way to get some internship experience. (We tipped them by giving them all small bags with popular candy in them. They loved it).

It gave me piece of mind because I know in these countries it is easier to perform thorough background checks since the workers are with kids. For the workers on RCCL and other cruise lines are the workers in the kids clubs mainly from similar countries or is this unique to Disney?

Edited by ummgood

I have a question about the US crew members. I saw in this thread several times that US crew members were basically management and entertainment staff. I repeatedly saw US crew members in the kids clubs on my last 2 Disney cruises. I haven't been on RCCL yet but have one booked for 2015.

I was under the impression on DCL ships that the people working in the kids clubs were usually recent college grads that were young from countries like Canada, UK, Australia, and the US. Often they were going into counseling or some profession having to do with kids. They got paid very little and couldn't receive tips but were looking at it as a way to get some internship experience. (We tipped them by giving them all small bags with popular candy in them. They loved it).

It gave me piece of mind because I know in these countries it is easier to perform thorough background checks since the workers are with kids. For the workers on RCCL and other cruise lines are the workers in the kids clubs mainly from similar countries or is this unique to Disney?

It's pretty similar to Disney, I tend to include the kid's club staff with the CD staff, who are also mainly from NA and Western Europe. A lot of this is also to do with the language, since most of the kids cruising from the US are US kids, it helps to have care givers whose first language is the same as the kids and parents, to avoid misunderstandings.

It's pretty similar to Disney, I tend to include the kid's club staff with the CD staff, who are also mainly from NA and Western Europe. A lot of this is also to do with the language, since most of the kids cruising from the US are US kids, it helps to have care givers whose first language is the same as the kids and parents, to avoid misunderstandings.

Thanks! My wife and I will definitely be checking out the children's activities on RCCL even though we won't have kids. At least talk to some parents of kids so we can get a feel for how good their clubs are. We are priced out of Disney at this point unless we can find a good deal.

I will say that I have been really impressed by how well all the crew members English is even though it isn't their first language. My kids have had no problems understanding our waiters etc... That might be partially due to my job and many of my coworkers do not have English as their first language.

Thanks! My wife and I will definitely be checking out the children's activities on RCCL even though we won't have kids. At least talk to some parents of kids so we can get a feel for how good their clubs are. We are priced out of Disney at this point unless we can find a good deal.

I will say that I have been really impressed by how well all the crew members English is even though it isn't their first language. My kids have had no problems understanding our waiters etc... That might be partially due to my job and many of my coworkers do not have English as their first language.

The staff of Adventure Ocean and the teen program are required to have a 4 yr degree in education, recreation or a related field. Many speak more than one language because they deal with so many kids where english is not their first language. When my son was in the program, there were many Canadian, British and Australian counselors. Don't think we ever encountered an American, though there are a few posters that post to these boards who have had kids that work in Adventure Ocean and they were American.

If you use a babysitter while on board, they aren't usually from the Adventure Ocean program. They are crew members from various departments on the ship. Babysitting is $19 per hour and they always send two sitters whether they are watching one child or more.

If you use a babysitter while on board, they aren't usually from the Adventure Ocean program. They are crew members from various departments on the ship. Babysitting is $19 per hour and they always send two sitters whether they are watching one child or more.

Thanks for the info! We fortunately are now almost out of the babysitting age as our kids are almost 3, 5, and 10. On our 2 Disney cruises our son was 4mo (first time) and 2yo (second cruise). The first time we brought grandma and the second time we used the nursery which was $6/hr I think. It was very reasonable. I think they have since raised it. That was in Dec/2013.

The short story is, these people work longer hours and for less wages than they would doing the same work in the US, or most other affluent countries. We can excuse that by saying, oh well, they're earning more than they would in their home countries.

But then we're saying some people deserve to earn less because they accidentally got born in the wrong countries, aren't we? Seems like that was a mistake they couldn't avoid, yes? So we cruise cheaply, because cheap labor is supplied by people who were born in the wrong place. I just think we should be honest about it.

Do we honestly think these people would leave their families behind for months at a time if they had a better choice, just so they could see the world? Maybe some would, but probably most wouldn't. Do we honestly think if they could find the same work at the same wage at home they wouldn't take that option? Do we honestly think these people could ever afford to take a cruise like we do? Do we honestly think they deserve less and we deserve more?

I can't correct the world's skewey way of deciding who has a good life and who doesn't. It's all macro economics and big commerce. I won the lottery and got born in the right place, so I get to take cruises instead of working in the laundry on a cruise ship.

But you can bet I tip widely. I won the birth lottery.

AMEN to that!!

Imagine living in a world in which when you go to the cash register at the store you pay only what the price sticker says, a world in which you pay only what the taxi meter says, a world in which you pay only the price of the meal listed in the menu, yet when you step on a cruise ship you are expected to pay more than the sticker price. Most of the world outside of NA works that way and no amount of guilt tripping or morality police (or name calling) will change that cultural upbringing. :cool:

Its that way in Australia including cruise ships because our taxes,fees and Grats are now included in the price so we are being encouraged to have a tip free sailing experience and ignor US custom, even Australian RCI T&C,s explain Grats as "A Service Charge"

Cruise ships are a cashless society so there is no need to tip cash above the pre paid grats,no cash means no begging no guilt trips no special service to one guest over another and security of customers personal cash because the employees have no need to store cash so much harder to pilfer and get away with it.

Ain't that the truth. But what can we do? Unfortunately, selfish people are everywhere. :( They'll rush to pay top dollar to cruise on the latest and greatest knowing darn well how the cruising gratuity process works, but then pull some self-entitled BS to justify stiffing the crew. Sad.

They should just make pre paid grats compulsory for US cruisers or include them in the price like they do for Australians.

I fail to see how it is "Stiffing the crew" if grats are a Choice and some choose not to pay them:confused: Its their choice.

The cruiselines have created the problem by introducing a set daily amount which flies against US tipping culture.

To us it is not a set daily tip amount but a service charge that we are well used to so easy to add to our cruise price.

Why are Grats not added to the fare in US? because that would make less people cruise due to higher prices which is really an oxymoron when you consider all US cruisers tip as a culture so factor that in anyway! lol

Dynamic Dinning once introduced will do away with traditional dinning and all grats will then become pre paid as it is for MTD, then nobody will have a choice to stiff or not:)

My BF and I talked in depth with our waiters last trip regarding their alloted vacations and trips home. Our assistant waiter, Cameron, told us that they have to buy one of their flights for their vacation period (i.e. RCI buys their flight home but if they want to come back to work they are required to buy their return trip). For a company that profits millions why would they make their hardest workers buy expensive flights back to the ship?

We pre paid gratuities and rather than leaving bigger tips to just a few people we left ( still generous considering we had already pre paid) tips to lots. We gave our cabin assistant the most and then our waitress. Considering we asked for nothing extra from our cabin assistant, always left the room tidy and made our bed ( I thought we were helping him and allow him to finish his rooms quicker. I make it at home so really not difficult) the extra tip we left him was above the daily amount suggested and we felt adequate for the service provided. I was horrified later that eve ( after giving him his tip ) how his attitude towards us changed. It was obvious he was disgruntled with the amount and made our last eve/ morning very difficult. People have suggested to me I should have asked for it back, so he thought we might add more, then walk away with it so he had nothing extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My BF and I talked in depth with our waiters last trip regarding their alloted vacations and trips home. Our assistant waiter, Cameron, told us that they have to buy one of their flights for their vacation period (i.e. RCI buys their flight home but if they want to come back to work they are required to buy their return trip). For a company that profits millions why would they make their hardest workers buy expensive flights back to the ship?

Simple answer; because they can. There are many economic reasons to fly the Bahamian or Panamanian flag on their ships, and controlling crew costs is a major one.

Dynamic Dinning once introduced will do away with traditional dinning and all grats will then become pre paid as it is for MTD, then nobody will have a choice to stiff or not:)

As of now, grats are still optional on the Quantum which has DD.:cool:

Edited by kemenyg

We pre paid gratuities and rather than leaving bigger tips to just a few people we left ( still generous considering we had already pre paid) tips to lots. We gave our cabin assistant the most and then our waitress. Considering we asked for nothing extra from our cabin assistant, always left the room tidy and made our bed ( I thought we were helping him and allow him to finish his rooms quicker. I make it at home so really not difficult) the extra tip we left him was above the daily amount suggested and we felt adequate for the service provided. I was horrified later that eve ( after giving him his tip ) how his attitude towards us changed. It was obvious he was disgruntled with the amount and made our last eve/ morning very difficult. People have suggested to me I should have asked for it back, so he thought we might add more, then walk away with it so he had nothing extra.

Wow that is disgraceful even after tipping more than lust amount

Every person is individual I suppose and expect different things

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

May I ask how he made your last evening/morning very difficult?

I can see a passenger making it very difficult for a steward to do there job but cant understand how a steward can make it difficult for passengers unless they are not doing there job:confused:

He went from smiley, friendly saying hello every time we saw him. We would often stand and chat about his family and his young children. Then after giving him his tip he tried to ignore us, would nip into a room to avoid us. When I said good evening / morning he just mumbled at me. He did pull our sheets down the last evening, the same as the other 13 nights but it was his "way with us " that changed. Yes he could have been having a bad evening which continued to the morning or he may have thought well I have my tip so don't have to bother with pleasantries any more or as I felt he was not happy with us. I can not speak for him and his reasons as to why , I can only tell you how he made us feel , uncomfortable and awkward.

He went from smiley, friendly saying hello every time we saw him. We would often stand and chat about his family and his young children. Then after giving him his tip he tried to ignore us, would nip into a room to avoid us. When I said good evening / morning he just mumbled at me. He did pull our sheets down the last evening, the same as the other 13 nights but it was his "way with us " that changed. Yes he could have been having a bad evening which continued to the morning or he may have thought well I have my tip so don't have to bother with pleasantries any more or as I felt he was not happy with us. I can not speak for him and his reasons as to why , I can only tell you how he made us feel , uncomfortable and awkward.

Next time leave the tip in an envelope on the bed just before you leave, I have never had any complaints doing it that way even when it doesnt have much in it:D:D:D

Thanks fishtaco, we were first time cruisers and were not sure if we would see our cabin assistant in the morning. Thought they may not appear until after the ship was empty and we wanted to hand our envelope to him as thought he was a " nice guy " who worked very hard. Have learnt the hard way and will definitely be leaving envelope on the bed as we leave.

The short story is, these people work longer hours and for less wages than they would doing the same work in the US, or most other affluent countries. We can excuse that by saying, oh well, they're earning more than they would in their home countries.

But then we're saying some people deserve to earn less because they accidentally got born in the wrong countries, aren't we? Seems like that was a mistake they couldn't avoid, yes? So we cruise cheaply, because cheap labor is supplied by people who were born in the wrong place. I just think we should be honest about it.

Do we honestly think these people would leave their families behind for months at a time if they had a better choice, just so they could see the world? Maybe some would, but probably most wouldn't. Do we honestly think if they could find the same work at the same wage at home they wouldn't take that option? Do we honestly think these people could ever afford to take a cruise like we do? Do we honestly think they deserve less and we deserve more?

I can't correct the world's skewey way of deciding who has a good life and who doesn't. It's all macro economics and big commerce. I won the lottery and got born in the right place, so I get to take cruises instead of working in the laundry on a cruise ship.

But you can bet I tip widely. I won the birth lottery.

But some countries could say that about the USA, eg in Australia we don't make waiters rely on tips to make a living but rather pay a damn good wage including penalty rates that can add up to well over $40.00 per hour some shifts.