When is formal night and how many?

judydoc

It is more correct to say that the last time you sailed NCL, they had two nights designated as "Dress Up or Not". Formal nights went away more than a decade ago.

Norwegian no longer does "Dress Up or Not"...simply because it makes no sense. When the night was called "Dress Up or Not" each guest could dress as they please...resort casual or better. Problem is that is the exact same situation when the night is NOT "Dress Up or Not". It didn't make a difference!

It is totally up to you. You can have "formal night" each and every day of your cruise, not at all, or any number in between. Nothing more than resort casual will ever be required.

It is more correct to say that the last time you sailed NCL, they had two nights designated as "Dress Up or Not". Formal nights went away more than a decade ago.

Norwegian no longer does "Dress Up or Not"...simply because it makes no sense. When the night was called "Dress Up or Not" each guest could dress as they please...resort casual or better. Problem is that is the exact same situation when the night is NOT "Dress Up or Not". It didn't make a difference!

It is totally up to you. You can have "formal night" each and every day of your cruise, not at all, or any number in between. Nothing more than resort casual will ever be required.

We like dressing up so we do it a few times each cruise. Sometimes we can get strange looks if it is not on Norwegian's Night Out. We are going on a 15 day Panama Canal trip in January and we will probably dress up at least three or four times during those 15 days. My husband brings his tux (he looks great in it) and I have a gown and several cocktail dresses to wear each cruise. Sometimes it's the only time we get to dress up.

The "Norwegians Night Out" was the night lobster was in the buffet, which was the night most people chose to eat there. Many don't want to do the buffet in their formal attire, so they just don't bother.

While seated in the buffet, I did hear one crass woman say very loudly to her teen daughter, "Well, looks like no one else bothered to dress up!!" I turned to see this woman and her daughter who I would've thought had just come from the pool. They were both wearing ratty ribbed tank tops a few sizes too small for their voluptuous torsos, zigzag-striped thin t-shirt material skirts, and flip flops (the thin kind you find hanging by the check out lane at the convenience store). I honestly had no clue they were "dressed up", but she clearly was ticked off with the rest of us that we weren't all fancied up like she and her daughter. I'm simply saying this because people have all different ideas of what "dressed up" means. I honestly thought the clothes they were wearing were something you'd throw on over a swimsuit when running to grab a drink at the pool bar. To each his own.

We like dressing up so we do it a few times each cruise. Sometimes we can get strange looks if it is not on Norwegian's Night Out. We are going on a 15 day Panama Canal trip in January and we will probably dress up at least three or four times during those 15 days. My husband brings his tux (he looks great in it) and I have a gown and several cocktail dresses to wear each cruise. Sometimes it's the only time we get to dress up.

Hi there, We were on a 17 Night Panama/Mexican Riveria Cruise...We saw NO ONE wear Tux's or Gowns or hardly any 'formal wear' at all.

On Picture Night, some men wore suits/or sports jacket and ties and ladies nice dress or nice slacks and a dressier 'top' and looked nice.:)

There hasn't been a "Dress up or Not" for a few years now....Now it's just called night out or picture night. There may[/i be a 2nd.

Personally, I would NOT go the overly dressed up route...We always look nice and more than appropriate. My DH does take a sport jacket/tie (usually the first sea day after we leave, for pictures. - sometimes maybe the last dress up night.;)

We will be on a 12 night on the Gem in December...........No ultra dressy for us for sure..........

You can decide how comfortable or not you'll be all gussied up. Your choice.

Whatever you choose, have a fabulous time and stay safe.:D

Hi there, We were on a 17 Night Panama/Mexican Riveria Cruise...We saw NO ONE wear Tux's or Gowns or hardly any 'formal wear' at all.

On Picture Night, some men wore suits/or sports jacket and ties and ladies nice dress or nice slacks and a dressier 'top' and looked nice.:)

There hasn't been a "Dress up or Not" for a few years now....Now it's just called night out or picture night. There may[/i be a 2nd.

Personally, I would NOT go the overly dressed up route...We always look nice and more than appropriate. My DH does take a sport jacket/tie (usually the first sea day after we leave, for pictures. - sometimes maybe the last dress up night.;)

We will be on a 12 night on the Gem in December...........No ultra dressy for us for sure..........

You can decide how comfortable or not you'll be all gussied up. Your choice.

Whatever you choose, have a fabulous time and stay safe.:D

I've never heard it called 'picture night'. In the ship paper it is referred to as Norwegian's Night Out. The photographers are actually available in the atrium every night. But more people seemed to have dressy portraits done on the Norwegians' Night Out.

I agree in the past two years it was called Norwegian's Night Out and I believe it is often the 2nd night on board depending on the itinerary. Prior to that for several years they did call it Formal or Not Night. I actually prefer that saying and still use it stating I am going with NOT ;)

I was a Holland America Cruise Line fan for many years and in all honesty the one of the main reasons besides Norwegian being better and excelling in many categories is that I do not have to worry about formal wear, after over 30 cruises my days of long dresses and husband bringing his tux is over.

My experience is that it is different. Lots of people who wants to dress up did it on "Dress Up or Not night". We dressed up on that night but not the other nights.

Wow! It has changed. We enjoy dressing up. I did realize it was a lot more relaxed than the other ships we have been on. Won't bother taking formals just a few nice dresses. Thanks for the info!

We don't enjoy dressing up but I LOVE to see others who do so keep up the good work;)

We're doing the 12 day Gem cruise in December with 3 sea days at the beginning and 3 at the end with port days in between. How many Norwegian Nights Out can we expect and when might they be.

Thanks

I see no one has actually answered your question so I'll take a stab at it. Being that it's a 12 day I would guess that you'll have 2 Norwegian Nights Out evenings when the majority of those who choose to dress up will do so. Having said that though, those who enjoy dressing up will never be turned away at any dining venues :p so ... do as you wish, whatever makes you happy, it's YOUR cruise. :D Enjoy.

Connie

Edited by All-ready2cruise

NCL is Freestyle Cruising...meaning you don't ever HAVE to dress up! No more formal nights! Just off Getaway, and did see some people dressed up for dinner, but most were dressed very casually. Don't forget the White Party, when everyone wears white! I believe the French restaurant did require men to wear slacks...and ladies in resort casual wear! But other than that, just do what you like to do! Photographers are always around every night if you want to get a fancy pants photo :)

NCL is Freestyle Cruising...meaning you don't ever HAVE to dress up! No more formal nights! Just off Getaway, and did see some people dressed up for dinner, but most were dressed very casually. Don't forget the White Party, when everyone wears white! I believe the French restaurant did require men to wear slacks...and ladies in resort casual wear! But other than that, just do what you like to do! Photographers are always around every night if you want to get a fancy pants photo :)

Unless they've changed it since I sailed in June, Getaway doesn't have a White Party. They had a Glow Party on Thursday evening.