Drink Package Confusion

This is my experience this past weekend on Enchantment of the Seas (Aug 22-25). In the past I bought my Premium Drink package for $55 per day online before boarding. This cruise we booked on Monday and I didn't decide until Tuesday to buy it, by then it was too late to pre-buy my package. I figured it was no big deal since I could buy it on the ship. After we got our security photo, there was a kiosk where you could buy your drink packages and dining room reservations before crossing the gangway. The little sign said Premium Drink Package $49 per person per day, Ultimate Drink Package $55 per person per day. What was included in each was in tiny print. I had always paid $55 per day ($165 for a 3 nighter) so I got the Ultimate at $55 per day. I asked the bar server if sales tax was going to be added since we were still in port and he said no, just the 15% gratuity. I didn't think anything of it. When I checked my account on Day 2 sure enough, $189.75 was posted for the Ultimate Drink package...and I didn't want any of the coffees.

So to make a short story long...they did indeed reduce the package price per day but now add 15% gratuity to the package price.

In the past, they did not add 15% gratuity when I bought it online before sailing, I only paid $55 per day. So from now on, I will pre-buy online, unless RCI's IT Dept has figured out how to add the 15% gratuity on top of the package price....:rolleyes:

No matter WHEN you purchase a drink package (ANY package), they will be adding 15% gratuity...maybe you didn't notice it before...maybe the prices have risen, but they WILL get that 15%!

Previously, the Premium package was $55/day, which was inclusive of the 15% gratuity. Basically $55 flat. OP is saying they got the Ultimate, which was posted at $55/day, but did not include the 15%, so then they got surprised when it was added later. Adding 15% makes it $63.25/day. You are correct that RCI will get that 15% regardless, but moral of the story is make sure you do the math before choosing one, as RCI seems to have made this more convoluted than it was before :)

No matter WHEN you purchase a drink package (ANY package), they will be adding 15% gratuity...maybe you didn't notice it before...maybe the prices have risen, but they WILL get that 15%!

We bought the Premium package in November at the advertised $55 price point and there was no gratuity added. Behind the scenes they may have been taking a percentage of that price and dedicating that to the "tip fund", so it appears that now they are being more transparent about the gratuity piece. A $49 price with 15% added comes to $56.35, so there is a slight increase there.

Getting ready to purchase it for my September cruise, so will pay close attention to the fine print.

I think they "lowered" the advertised price to make it sound more enticing ($49 sounds a lot cheaper than $55 for some reason), then they sneak that 15% gratuity on, bringing the price to $56.xx, basically the same as it was before give or take a buck and some change. It's all marketing- they want you to think you are getting a deal versus what you paid before and to make it look good for people who may not have considered purchasing it in the past.

When I called RC customer service last week they told me that the price was still $55 a day for the premium package and that the price already includes the tax and gratuity. It was reported last week that there was an IT glitch? So it's still supposed to be $55 flat.

When I went on a TA at the end of April, I was billed with gratuity. I complained and was told that they had just implemented the additional 15% that cruise, but since all of the documentation was wrong, they refunded me.

Interesting as the website still shows the Premium at $55 and the Ultimate at $65, which is a total price gratuity inclusive.

I think your case as well as the OP's was a mistaken billing. You were able to get it corrected as should the OP by contacting RCI.

Interesting as the website still shows the Premium at $55 and the Ultimate at $65, which is a total price gratuity inclusive.

I think your case as well as the OP's was a mistaken billing. You were able to get it corrected as should the OP by contacting RCI.

Based on Wolfcathorse's experience on Enchantment this past weekend, I'm now leaning towards the theory that they have indeed broken out the gratuity charge and also raised the prices a bit too. I initially thought it was yet another website glitch, but I think this is just Royal's typical lack of timely, accurate, corporate wide communication.

Based on Wolfcathorse's experience on Enchantment this past weekend, I'm now leaning towards the theory that they have indeed broken out the gratuity charge and also raised the prices a bit too. I initially thought it was yet another website glitch, but I think this is just Royal's typical lack of timely, accurate, corporate wide communication.

Well that would certainly be something different! :rolleyes::D

This is my experience this past weekend on Enchantment of the Seas (Aug 22-25). In the past I bought my Premium Drink package for $55 per day online before boarding. This cruise we booked on Monday and I didn't decide until Tuesday to buy it, by then it was too late to pre-buy my package. I figured it was no big deal since I could buy it on the ship. After we got our security photo, there was a kiosk where you could buy your drink packages and dining room reservations before crossing the gangway. The little sign said Premium Drink Package $49 per person per day, Ultimate Drink Package $55 per person per day. What was included in each was in tiny print. I had always paid $55 per day ($165 for a 3 nighter) so I got the Ultimate at $55 per day. I asked the bar server if sales tax was going to be added since we were still in port and he said no, just the 15% gratuity. I didn't think anything of it. When I checked my account on Day 2 sure enough, $189.75 was posted for the Ultimate Drink package...and I didn't want any of the coffees.

So to make a short story long...they did indeed reduce the package price per day but now add 15% gratuity to the package price.

In the past, they did not add 15% gratuity when I bought it online before sailing, I only paid $55 per day. So from now on, I will pre-buy online, unless RCI's IT Dept has figured out how to add the 15% gratuity on top of the package price....:roll eyes:

ok. will have to keep that in mind for next trip.

Well, I called customer service again and now they are saying that what is on the website is correct. She confirmed the price went up by a dollar something a day. She also confirmed that she was aware that many customers were told that the price on the website was a IT glitch. She transferred me over to the resolutions department and they also confirmed the price change for all the drink packages.

She gave us $25 OBC which I thought was very nice. She reminded me that prices are subject to change at any time, but she did acknowledge that there was a lot of confusion last week. I'm still going to get the package too.

^^This

They have lowered the daily fee and now add a "service charge" in place of the previously added gratuity that came with the higher daily price. I think it only adds around $9.00 for the premium package for a 7 day cruise so it isn't a huge jump. Just annoying that I purchased my husband's package and waited a couple days to purchase mine (couldn't decide between premium and ultimate) and the prices went up :rolleyes:

So ... let me add more confusion to the discussion. :confused: If I pre-order a drink package for my cruise, is my credit card billed now, or is the amount added to my sea-pass account and paid at the end of the cruise as if I had purchased it onboard?

So ... let me add more confusion to the discussion. :confused: If I pre-order a drink package for my cruise, is my credit card billed now, or is the amount added to my sea-pass account and paid at the end of the cruise as if I had purchased it onboard?

Anything you purchase on Royal's website before the cruise is charged immediately.

Previously, the Premium package was $55/day, which was inclusive of the 15% gratuity. Basically $55 flat. OP is saying they got the Ultimate, which was posted at $55/day, but did not include the 15%, so then they got surprised when it was added later. Adding 15% makes it $63.25/day. You are correct that RCI will get that 15% regardless, but moral of the story is make sure you do the math before choosing one, as RCI seems to have made this more convoluted than it was before :)

I like the transparency and feel it was somewhat convoluted before since it was different than other drink packages or buying drinks individually, 15% added on is pretty standard. It's unfortunate people had to deal with the "change" from "including tips already" to "tag on 15%" but it seems like a reasonable change and might sell more packages.

Most won't sweat that 15% going to tips so the lower price looks more enticing and now we don't have to wonder how much staff is getting. It's transparent. Some pax knowing the RR package only includes tips of 2.85 for the day might be more likely to tip extra on the 3rd or 4th coffee/virgin drink ordered that day. If that makes servers happy, the change was good in that regard.

Some packages went up a tad, Ultimate went down a tad. I don't think this will affect enjoyment of the packages for those that buy. I do wonder that they may be keeping staff about the same in numbers but really amping up the number of drinks needed to be made and served as more decide to buy the packages. I'd like to see RCCL watch out for pax needing to wait long for service, it's really a drag on vacation to "wait" to buy something. RCCL should use some of it's profits to hire a few more servers on ships that sell alot of packages.

I find it interesting that when some people log in to the website they still see the $55 and $65 prices while others see the updated prices of $49 and $55 plus 15% gratuity. I can't for the life of me figure out how that is possible. Probably something to do with the cookies or something.

I see the new prices and I have no problem paying the little bit extra that it will now cost. To me it seems they just broke it down for bookkeeping reasons to decipher what is actually for the package (cruise line) and what is for the tips (servers)

I find it interesting that when some people log in to the website they still see the $55 and $65 prices while others see the updated prices of $49 and $55 plus 15% gratuity. I can't for the life of me figure out how that is possible. Probably something to do with the cookies or something.

I see the new prices and I have no problem paying the little bit extra that it will now cost. To me it seems they just broke it down for bookkeeping reasons to decipher what is actually for the package (cruise line) and what is for the tips (servers)

I was thinking the same thing...kind of weird. I just went ahead and paid online. Less hassle for me and I don't have to carry as much cash as I had planned.

That's not true. I have had the Premium package twice and was not charged anything extra for gratuity either time.

I agree, but it sounds like that has changed in the last week or so.

I agree, but it sounds like that has changed in the last week or so.

I see that this may be the case going forward, but I had interpreted that earlier post from dancinman as implying that there is and always had been an extra 15% on top of the $55 for the Premium package, which is not the case.

When I called RC customer service last week they told me that the price was still $55 a day for the premium package and that the price already includes the tax and gratuity. It was reported last week that there was an IT glitch? So it's still supposed to be $55 flat.

I just got off the RCCL site and was booking the Ultimate drink pkg and $55.00/day for both of us, well to my shock the total was $885.50, not the $770.00 I was expecting!! I cancelled it and called RCCL and now I wait for a call back!