Prebooking Sanctuary and restaurants...

HUNKY

Since I'm in a guaranteed inside, with only one other Princess cruise, I might have to try the BVE to get onboard first.

You can't BVE yourself on a cruise you are booked on. You can

only be on the passenger list once.

If you had a friend who signed up for BVE, you could board with them.

You can't BVE yourself on a cruise you are booked on. You can

only be on the passenger list once.

If you had a friend who signed up for BVE, you could board with them.

Well merde! That shoots myself in the derrière as I was thinking about doing that to get on the ship earlier than normal. :-(((

Well merde! That shoots myself in the derrière as I was thinking about doing that to get on the ship earlier than normal. :-(((

It's been a long time since I've seen French cursing! Thanks for the laugh!

It's the kind of topic most cruisers will have different opinions... I would like to have the option, but not necessarily use it...

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

Hmm...guess I have to hope no one wants the Sanctuary or Chef's Table on my Regal cruise. Thought the BVE would be my ticket!

There's still time for Princess to take the leap and make those options available online though. I'll just watch CC, the news, and my cruise personalizer.

Hmm...guess I have to hope no one wants the Sanctuary or Chef's Table on my Regal cruise. Thought the BVE would be my ticket!

There's still time for Princess to take the leap and make those options available online though.

With only about 20 passengers that would be able to pre-book the Sanctuary if allowed and even less than that the Chef's table, if pre-booking is allowed I can predict many, many posts about how all the spots were taken before the posters were able to try and how unfair that is.

Corfe...The way Disney does it first priority goes to those guests who have paid in full, booked in concierge or suite cabins. These are the most expensive accommodations. Lower priced cabin guests with little cruise history have the lowest priority and as such, are pretty much unable to obtain cabanas or paid dining reservations at preferred times.

Pam...again first priority goes to those guests that are paid in full in the most expensive cabins (Elite tier status does not come into play at this point). Onshore concierge will make the reservations based upon earliest full payment date and time. Any leftovers can be made online at midnight based upon the guests' various priority. Do a search for getting reservations at Disney World's most popular restaurants.

Carnival Corporate would LOVE to have their guests paid in full 180 days prior to cruising!

some elite people spend more on cruises than someone who would only cruise maybe in a suite one time so elite people should get any benefits that are available

It's been a long time since I've seen French cursing! Thanks for the laugh!

It's the kind of topic most cruisers will have different opinions... I would like to have the option, but not necessarily use it...

That was one of the first things I learned in high school French, about 55 years ago. That word is just about the only thing I remember from those classes.

Edited by Treven

That was one of the first things I learned in high school French, about 55 years ago. That word is just about the only thing I remember from those classes.

I learned that word from my HS French teacher so I knew what Inspector Jacques Clouseau said in the Pink Panther movies when he was frustrated. :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

some elite people spend more on cruises than someone who would only cruise maybe in a suite one time so elite people should get any benefits that are available

If you follow your logic through, then those of us who are Elite and in full suites should priority before all Elites not in full suites and before those non-Elites in suites.

However, although we would normally benefit from this arrangement, I don't think it is a good idea at all.

Yes, those who get on first do have a better chance, but they get on first because they are in a group which range from long standing clients who may be in the cheapest inside cabins, but have, over the years spent a lot of cash with Princess, or others who, by booking suite, have paid handsomely for their privileges.

Seems eminently fair to me.

As others have already said:

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it

Seems eminently fair to me.

As others have already said:

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it

Depends on one's experience.

Those who manage to book the experience feel it "ain't broke."

Those who find what they want fully booked feel it is "broken."

With all the experienced and bright cruisers that post on CC, I believe that if there was a perfect solution it would have been found. Each system suggested has it's good and bad sides. One that I see with allowing booking online for restaurants is that if they fill up this way, you have to know quite a long time in advançe when you will feel like going and making new friends and deciding for a special evening as you cruise would could become difficult. And if that and Sanctuary fill up early, Princess would have adjust the advertising regarding all the wonderful options and mention: " only available to those who book early. If you do not book early these areas will not be available to you. You only get access the second package of options that are regular restaurants and pools ." I am not an expert but I don't think that Princess would like to have said about the line : " they are great ships with Sanctuary etc but those things are only available for the very early bookers, sometimes even a year in advance. :eek:"

The way it is now has it's downsides, but overall, I agree with " if it ain't broke didn't fix it". They are like little flaws of a good friend. ;)

Edited by Sailingpeace

RCCL/Celebrity seem to be able to manage pre booking of many things without major outcries of it being "unfair". I believe pre booking opens from 60-90 days prior to departure depending on the venue. I know for certain that they only release a certain percentage of seats/spots for pre booking and hold back space for once onboard so that everyone has equal access to all the up charge amenities. This includes spa, shore excursions, open seating main dining reservations, speciality dining, the alcoves on the Solstice ships, chefs table, show reservations on the mega ships and so on.

I really hate starting my vacation with the stress of trying to jostle to be one of the first aboard ship to then run around like a wildcat to secure the things I want before everyone else gets there. It's just stressful and unnecessary. I much prefer to start my vacation with everything sorted and that way I can relax from the first moment I step aboard.

" they are great ships with Sanctuary etc but those things are only available for the very early bookers, sometimes even a year in advance. :eek:"

Replace that with "they are great ships with Sanctuary etc but those things are only available for the people who are able to board early :eek:"

Hmmm, not really a lot of difference :rolleyes::D

Regis -- can I phone a friend?

If you were going to do it for yourself, it would cost you $39.

Just mention the port here, and you can probably find someone

who will accept your gift of a BVE.

And, apparently, the moderators don't speak french.

Replace that with "they are great ships with Sanctuary etc but those things are only available for the people who are able to board early :eek:"

Hmmm, not really a lot of difference :rolleyes::D

The little ( petite ;)) difference I see, is that by boarding day, we are all even at getting a chance to be among the first who board, first or right after suite and Elite.

But total perfection would be having the Sanctuary chairs on our balcony :), and having that confirmed before we board... and having the balconies stretched so they would fit ...

The little ( petite ;)) difference I see, is that by boarding day, we are all even at getting a chance to be among the first who board, first or right after suite and Elite.

But total perfection would be having the Sanctuary chairs on our balcony :), and having that confirmed before we board... and having the balconies stretched so they would fit ...

And having a cabana boy there, just waiting to fetch you drinks and to fan you so you don't overheat. :-))

And having a cabana boy there, just waiting to fetch you drinks and to fan you so you don't overheat. :-))

There would need to be a cabana boy "menu" so everyone could get their preferred option. Not all cabana boys are created equal ;). Of course there would be long queues at reception once they ran out of folks preferred cabana boy variety, compensation demanded and so on ......

• 9 months later...
Princess is behind the times with their run around the ship to book the stuff you want mentality. I do not want spend my first day onboard darting around to ensure I get a spot in the sanctuary, my preferred dining time in the Crown Grill, a spot at the Chefs table, etc. They already allow pre booking of spa appointments and shore tours so surely they find find a way to manage the rest!

Royal Caribbean/Celebrity allow pre booking of all these items about 60-75 days out or so. They even allow pre booking of MTD (anytime dining) reservations. The key to all of this is that they only make a certain percentage of slots for any one venue/time available for pre booking. They hold back a certain amount for those who wish to wait and do things onboard, or who book close in. To me this is fair and equitable and allows everyone a chance to enjoy all the venues without all the boarding day running around.

I personally think pre booking options can lead to more usage of certain venues such as speciality restaurants. I know I'm more likely to consider spending on extras when I can pre book AND pre pay in advance. I like getting onboard and not feeling like I have a looming "debt" amassing on my stateroom folio. The more I can pre-book/pay the more relaxed I am once onboard.

I have been on plenty of cruises where pre booking of these kind of extras exists and they ALWAYS have a certain amount of space held back for embarkation day. It's time for Princess to get with the times!

I kind of like and appreciate your approach to this situation for those in the camp of wanting pre-reservations.

If it happens at 60 days out, everyone is locked in and paid, save for some last-minute type sales if ship is not yet sold out. Even 30 days could work.

It's not unlike the scenario of a pre-announced concert and the date/time tickets go on sale. Now we know in that case there are often several pre-sale dates with secret passwords and such, but not suggesting same for Princess.

But if Princess pre-announced the opening date & time for pre-reservations, then it seems pretty fair in terms of a similar situation where tickets are being sold to an event.

Again, it would probably need to be limited so that a total sell-out does not occur, leaving some openings for after embarkation.

It's not a whole lot different than the existing situation where certain limited activities are fully subscribed before sail-away.

I don't have any personal experience with this on other cruise lines mentioned, but I'd hate to see all the special items available only go to suite reservations if they got priority access to the spots.

So, how many special wine experience dinners are done in a one week cruise. One for sure. Two maybe. And without looking it up, isn't it 12 people? So thousands board and only a minute fraction of potential passengers can do this, no matter what the system is. Same with the Chef's Table and such. Same with front row seats at a concert. Only a lucky minority are going to make it each time (from those who are willing and able to pay the price of admission).

Edited by steelers36
Add some math.

Princess is behind the times with their run around the ship to book the stuff you want mentality. I do not want spend my first day onboard darting around to ensure I get a spot in the sanctuary, my preferred dining time in the Crown Grill, a spot at the Chefs table, etc. They already allow pre booking of spa appointments and shore tours so surely they find find a way to manage the rest!

Royal Caribbean/Celebrity allow pre booking of all these items about 60-75 days out or so.

I personally think pre booking options can lead to more usage of certain venues such as speciality restaurants. I know I'm more likely to consider spending on extras when I can pre book AND pre pay in advance.

I kind of like and appreciate your approach to this situation for those in the camp of wanting pre-reservations.

If it happens at 60 days out, everyone is locked in and paid, save for some last-minute type sales if ship is not yet sold out. Even 30 days could work.

It's not unlike the scenario of a pre-announced concert and the date/time tickets go on sale.

But if Princess pre-announced the opening date & time for pre-reservations, then it seems pretty fair in terms of a similar situation where tickets are being sold to an event.

Yes, RCI does allow such bookings months in advance and even encourages it for their Behemoths of the Seas. So the passenger is asked without knowing the daily schedule of activities to pick what time they want to eat each evening and what time they want to see every show. I so not want to spend time before a cruise wondering if all my pre-reservations will need to be changed once I find out when other nightly activities I might want to attend will be scheduled once I board the ship.

And it is not like pre-reserving a show time on RCI sames you any time when onboard. To get the seats you want, you still have to line up before a show as you pick your seat once you enter the theater. Can't wait until the last minute to enter because the standby line is admitted before you might get there.

The Princess Chef's table, usually offered just once on a 7 day voyage, has about 12 people who can attend. So if you open it up for booking 60 days in advance, your chance of getting a reservation may well depend on what time zone you are in. If reservations open, for example, at mid-night Princess HQ time, you might not be up at 3 AM if you live on the East Coast and find when you wake up hours later all the slots have been filled.

Those who want to book Princess specialty restaurants often want to know what will be served in the MDR each evening. This is not known for sure until you board when there will be accurate menus for each night of the cruise available.

It's obviously the minority opinion here, but I also prefer Royal Caribbean's approach of letting you make specialty restaurant reserverations prior to the cruise. I wish Princess did this as well - but keep it to 60 days or so before the cruise. If you want to wait until you get onboard to look at the activities - fine, do so. But if there's a special occasion, as we had on our last cruise, it's nice to know that your reservations for that particular night are taken care of in advance.

We generally check out specialty dining on formal nights and haven't had any issues yet. We always book what shore excursions we want as soon as they open (yes we only book what we plan to do).

We have tried for Chef's Table several times and only made it once :(. We do board early most trips, but no luck.

Hope we can get a slot for the Enclave in Oct this will be our first time trying this and never bothered with the sanctuary on any of the trips.

Not sure if being allowed to try earlier would make much difference. We are only plat. and we don't book suites on Princess. So will just keep plugging for Chef's Table and sooner or later will get picked again.