How bad is the Explorer?

I have been reading a lot of reviews on Explorer of the Seas, and there seems to be a current theme, that she needs a refurbishment.

How bad is the condition of the ship? We are sailing on her in January and we have talked our next door neighbors into joining us. While they have never been on a cruise, they did tour the NCL Dawn with us about a year ago, so they have an idea of what a cruise ship will be like. I REALLY just don't want them to be disappointed. TIA

All these people complaining about the Explorer are just doing so because they know she's due for a dry dock. Is she the newest ship in the fleet? No. Does she still hold her own? Yes. Does she show some signs of wear? Yes, she's in the Atlantic and sailing year-round from Bayonne. Does the maintenance crew consistently work on her? Yes.

We sailed on her in March. Everyday we saw the maintenance crew performing improvements and upgrades (not intrusive, but you would see them around the ship). We were supposed to get our balcony painted the day we were in Coco Cay but since we missed that port due to weather, they did not bother us and I'm sure the balcony was serviced during the next cruise. We still used the balcony and, yes there was some wear and tear on the balcony, but nothing that would affect my cruise.

The crew is amazing. They have such pride in the ship that when I noticed a leak one day in the hallway, I mentioned it to our cabin steward. He immediately called and maintenance was working on it within a short period of time.

If you go looking for imperfections and problems, you will find them. If you go on a cruise to have a good time, good service and enjoy yourself, you will have a GREAT time. Don't let other's impressions or negativity impact your decision.

We are sailing her again next week and would continue to do so if she were staying in Bayonne.

Explorer does need refurbishment, you will see some rust on the outside decks, some stains on the carpet, some rooms with old TV's, some chipped furniture and whatever other minor flaws people may find if you look hard enough. None of these things have ever stopped us from sailing on her well over 20+ times. We overlook these minor flaws as the best part of Explorer is their fantastic crew that really care about their passengers.

We were on the Dawn a few years ago and saw some of the same flaws Explorer has and we enjoyed ourselves. We have 2 more sailings on Explorer before she departs Bayonne, including her last sailing November 1, which should tell you how much we have enjoyed sailing on her. We are going to miss her and some of the crew members we have known for years.

Explorer is clean and well-maintained. Yes, there are some signs of normal wear and tear, but that's to be expected and it's really no big deal.

Explorer has one of the most awesome crews and activities team afloat. Service was outstanding. Unless you are looking for things to complain about, I can't imagine that you won't have a wonderful cruise on Explorer.

Thank you everyone for all the words of encouragement. I am sure that my neighbors (and my family) will be in such awe of the ship itself (my family has only been on Carnival in the past), that they won't even notice a few worn spots here or there.

The fact that is has such an AMAZING crew just makes it all the better. There is nothing better than a good crew on your first crew to set the bar for future cruises :)

Thank you everyone for all the words of encouragement. I am sure that my neighbors (and my family) will be in such awe of the ship itself (my family has only been on Carnival in the past), that they won't even notice a few worn spots here or there.

The fact that is has such an AMAZING crew just makes it all the better. There is nothing better than a good crew on your first crew to set the bar for future cruises :)

I will echo that as well - a terrific crew! RCI does a great job with crew on all their ships IMO but Explorer is certainly among the best. (Grandeur rivals that as well IMO).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The Explorer looked in better shape this past May than she did 2 years ago. There was a broken glass step with caution tape in the Chamber nightclub March/April 2012 that was replaced or repaired by my last trip.

Other than that, didn't notice any other issues.

EOTS is an older ship and if someone's looking for something to complain about they'll find it on her.

There is some wear and tear, the decor is certainly dated, and it lacks a lot of the bells and whistles of the newer ships, but we've sailed on her numerous times - most recently in October - and have never had cause to complain.

I have been reading a lot of reviews on Explorer of the Seas, and there seems to be a current theme, that she needs a refurbishment.

How bad is the condition of the ship? We are sailing on her in January and we have talked our next door neighbors into joining us. While they have never been on a cruise, they did tour the NCL Dawn with us about a year ago, so they have an idea of what a cruise ship will be like. I REALLY just don't want them to be disappointed. TIA

I also have a B2B booked on her in January and don't have any concerns at all as I feel RCI always has done a great job with maintenance on their ships.

I wish I was on the Explorer right now.

Ditto that! Just got off Explorer yesterday for the last time after 14 sailings on her & I feel like I'm losing a great friend. She has a fabulous crew that really works hard to give you a memorable vacation.

Enjoy your vacation on one of the greatest ships on the sea!

Future Cruises:

RCCL-Quantum of the Seas – 3 Night Sampler - 2014

RCCL-Quantum of the Seas – Southern Caribbean – 2015

RCCL-Liberty of the Seas – Canada & New England - 2015

RCCL-Anthem of the Seas – Western Caribbean - 2016

RCCL-Diamond Plus

Celebrity-Elite

Norwegian-Silver

Holland-Star Mariner

We were on her in December and leave again next Saturday. As everyone has stated, she's and older ship, she's due for dry dock.

If you look for something wrong, you'll probably find something. But you are on vacation people ... on a cruise. Unless the Captain signals man the lifeboats ... relax and enjoy. The crew is awesome, friendly and very competent.

Would sail here any time I had the chance.

We are also frequent cruisers on the Explorer (over 10 times) and are booked on a B2B for January. We have met some wonderful crew and I agree with other posts: she has the friendliest and hardest working crew in the fleet. We were told at one of the "welcome bacK' type events, that the Explorer is the ship with the MOST repeat customers, so that should speak for itself. She is wonderful..........we will miss her.

I think I've been on Ex 7 times, last time was July 12. Crew is great, ship is clean, but fabrics and finishes are worn. No two ways about it. We had a GS a couple cruises ago and the drawers were very sticky/wonky.

Will you have fun? I'm sure you will, but don't go expecting a new ship and you won't be disappointed.

btw I don't understand people comparing themselves to a worn out ship, that's just weird.

I think I've been on Ex 7 times, last time was July 12. Crew is great, ship is clean, but fabrics and finishes are worn. No two ways about it. We had a GS a couple cruises ago and the drawers were very sticky/wonky.

Will you have fun? I'm sure you will, but don't go expecting a new ship and you won't be disappointed.

btw I don't understand people comparing themselves to a worn out ship, that's just weird.

I think that part of the problem is that if the ship is worn out...the prices should reflect that. Royal Caribbean is charging a premium for worn ships and an exorbitant amount for their new ones.